Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I'm using Astraweb and recently also took a little ($2.75 / 5 GB) BlockNews account to fill missing articles. It can't get any better than that, I haven't seen a single missing block yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

inpheaux posted:

I mean, didn't they just expand past 200 days of retention?
I don't think so, I used them like a year ago and it wasn't so bad. 720 days at the moment.

I use Binsearch and NZBIndex, recently NZBMatrix proved to be useful where others did not, but it costs some money.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Kontradaz posted:

Either the quality of usenet is lower than I had thought, or blocknews is pretty much a terrible usenet provider. Either way, after having to slog through many failed downloads and random slowdowns of speed with blocknews, I really recommend that you guys stick with providers like supernews rather than block ones. I don't know why, but my experiene has been pretty terrible.

Try supernews then and keep blocknews as a fill backup, it will be perfect.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

SlipperyNipple posted:

out of this world retention is over rated these days.

Seeing all my downloads from > 500 days I wouldn't see 300 days retention as something worth paying for.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Blocknews?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

What's a good software to browse text? Specifically big groups, Thunderbird seemed too clumsy.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

drat you guys.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

In case you (or I) weren't (wasn't) clear: Google Groups is a real answer.

Yeah I know, thanks. I was thinking about a classic application I could run from my connection, Google might cover it better though.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Squibbles posted:

Outlook express used to do it. Not sure if it still does though.

That newer Mail app could do it too, but it was really slow last time I tried.

Sperg Victorious posted:

40Tude Dialog. It's kinda old, and you'll need to install it somewhere thats not in "program files" for it to work, but it's one of the better ones.

Nice, never heard of it. Thank you!

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

timmmmaaaah posted:

So I forgot my nzb.su password and tried to reset it and the reset link just takes me back to the log in page? I mean my account still works in Sickbeard/Couch Potato because the API is still there but I can't use the site at all. Anyone had any experience with this?

Did you disable JS? The reset link works.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

fivre posted:

Is it possible to find older/more obscure stuff with fancier, more desirable indexers and more expensive providers, or am I just SOL for anything more than a month or so old? Like, early 2000s Russian Linux ISOs, are those basically hopeless?

Usenet is no good for Russian whatever.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

tarepanda posted:

I've been using fastusenet.org for its connections and retention, but it looks like retention is spotty because I tend to get incompletes/errors on a lot of downloads (maybe 1 in 10?) ranging from two weeks old to three years old.

Usually you don't need 50 connections, less than 20 would cover even a very fast broadband.
They are Readnews reseller, this kind of retention is typical for other major providers, so whatever appeals to you in the first post suggestions, I guess.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

tarepanda posted:

I'm on 160 mbit, so...

/ 8 = 20 MB? Nice, but I believe it will be covered.
Alternatively you may try to get a block account (like BlockNews or Astraweb) in addition to your current plan and set it up as a backup. This way I almost never have to deal with repair or broken files.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

Who do I ask about getting in on this GoonNZB thing or has my endless procrastinating finally caught up with me?

Here's the post.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is blocknews still the cheapest option for a block account for people who don't download too much?

How much do you need? Astraweb has 1000 GB for $50 (vs. 1024 GB for $91.39 on Blocknews), if less than 500 GB Blocknews is cheaper.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Teabiscuit posted:

I keep getting incompletes, I have supernews as my primary, astraweb and usenetserver as my backups. It's a little frustrating. Should I try one from the holland provider?

I'd wager this has something to do with your client or config, having all these servers would normally cover virtually 100% minus rare takedowns.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Torael_7 posted:

Hopefully the last 'dumb usenet newbie' question - can I connect to and use both the US and EU servers if my provider of choice has them? If so, is there actually any benefit to doing so?

You can. I did that on Astraweb, Giganews and Blocknews, without noticeable benefits. Articles are usually available on both servers, or on neither.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I suspect it has to do with my usenet, Astranews?

Nah, Astraweb is all right.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

e: nevermind

Shy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 6, 2013

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Legs Benedict posted:

So, what's the scoop on Giganews' Diamond Plan? I currently pay for Supernews + a separate proxy service which winds up running me about $20 a month. Diamond Plan is $35 after the first three months, but also includes their VPN service which is what interests me. Is it a good solution if I want something all-in one so I can just pay one company every month? For what it's worth, I currently use a proxy to bypass MLB.tv regional blackout restrictions.

I used it for three months, after that switched back to Astraweb and converted my Giganews plan to Pearl + VPN ($15), you can do the same. (if having all in one isn't worth extra $10)

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I finally subscribed to Newsbin built-in search, after finding a bunch of items not on other indexers. Looks very extensive.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Gozinbulx posted:

Care to elaborate? I've never used Newsbin. Do you get NZBs from it and feed them to SAB?

I download everything with Newsbin, it has a built-in search function, costs money ($20 for the client and $15/6 months for the search). It's probably not a good option for people using SAB and automated schedules and whatnot, I only download everything manually. You can make NZBs from the search results, but I don't know if it can be automated in any way.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Crackbone posted:

I'm using Supernews with a Blocknews fill provider but still having a LOT of problems with specific content lately. Would anybody have a suggestions on different block account, or even primary if SN has somehow gotten crappy while I wasn't checking?

You can add Astraweb block and see how that works. But depending on what you're downloading, it may be either spam or something that gets DMCA'd everywhere. I.e. I don't think a lot of problems on one major provider will be gone on another.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

frogbs posted:

I'm getting a 'not enough repair blocks' error on pretty much every file i've tried in the last month. I'm using blocknews. Is this an instance of needing a second, supplemental provider or is something else probably wrong?

Also, this often happens on very recently posted files, less than an hour old. I never used to run into this with Supernews...

Try it, Astraweb blocks start at $10 for 25GB (maybe some Highwinds resellers sell for less and you can try those instead, dunno). I almost never used Blocknews alone, but when I (accidentally) did, it wasn't any good.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Sick Beard grabs things before they can be taken down.

Not really. I download manually, often at least hours after the release, it's all there. (Astraweb+Blocknews)

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Phiberoptik posted:

Uh, is Block News still okay? Just bought an account there, but can't seem to connect or use their account pages.

The site is probably down but the servers work fine.

Shy fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 14, 2013

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

yugge posted:

Only a thousand?!? Is there any twitter or rss feed or somewhere to go to know when it goes live?

From the site:

quote:

I guess it will probably last several hours. Will probably start around 7-8AM local time (GMT-6)

They have an IRC channel, #DOGnzb @ irc.synirc.net.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Le0 posted:

I'm only using the ssl servers, should I add the others as well? Also are ssl servers lower on bandwidth or shouldn't there be any speed changes?

You don't need ssl.astraweb.com, they have two locations and in my understanding it redirects to either ssl-eu or ssl-us. Blocknews also has usnews, so you could use that.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Quit expecting a single provider to work perfectly all the time, BlockNews costs a couple bucks an it will last months.
I switched to Giganews from Astraweb and I wouldn't say they magically solve all the incompletion problems (they write 100% on the site, but you wouldn't believe that)

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Former Human posted:

When I used Giganews (admittedly years ago) it was pretty rare to have broken files, and virtually unheard of to have files that were too broken to be repaired. With Astraweb it's a 50-50 shot whether my downloads will work. Then again Giganews cost me $29 a month.

I was using GN a year ago and recently switched again, incompletes haven't been rare. Without a backup they will be as problematic as Astraweb.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

The Diddler posted:

How can you tell the difference? I thought all completion failures pretty much looked the same.

Astraweb error messages explicitly mentioned takedown requests last time I had them.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Who's your Usenet provider? Do you use SSL?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

busfahrer posted:

I'm trying this whole thing out, currently on blocknews. Some stuff works great, but for a lot of items I get a lot of missing articles, even though they are well within blocknews's retention limits. For example, the retention limit is something well over 1000d, and the files I'm having troubles with are 200 to 300 days old. Is this a problem of the hoster or the indexer I'm using?

Blocknews alone won't always be sufficient. You can buy the smallest Astraweb block and add it as a secondary server.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

busfahrer posted:

Thanks for the hint, but I'm also trying to understand: Why is this? Is it due to retention? Due to Blocknews not carrying all the groups?

They all have issues with missing articles sometimes, it's simply too much data to keep available all the time. And takedowns, yes.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

e: disregard

Shy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 4, 2014

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

lokk posted:

I'm a real idiot when it comes to this stuff. I've been using nzbs.org and SABnzbd for a few years with no problems. Recently all my files are showing up in folders with the correct name, but the actual .mkv file name will be like a 5000-digit 2048-hexagigatrillibillion security code. What's up with this yo!?!!?

Makes it harder to identify (and take down) without a properly tuned indexer, I guess.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

FateFree posted:

If you buy a block account as a backup that has both a US and EU server, should you add both as separate backup servers?

Yes, that makes sense sometimes.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Do you use all thirty connections? Try lowering the number a bit, they may overlap.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Tanbo posted:

I'm also using a highwinds reseller, who has the cheapest blockplans on another server for a backup?

Still blocknews, I guess? astraweb is a bit more expensive if under 500 GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Kin posted:

I've never been able to pull anything older than 1000 days off of supernews, despite them saying it has like a 2000 day retention or whatever it is now.

Before I went back to Astraweb half a year ago I had similar problems with Giganews (same company), anything past 650 days or so would take up to 15-20% backup, most of the time. On Astraweb I still need backup from time to time but it's definitely much better.