Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

So I found my install of Agent from like 1998, and whaddaya know, it works. I've been using sanzbd and NZB.su for the past few months and like it, but when I fired up Agent I found there are some groups in there that are still active that aren't indexed by NZB.su.

Since I'd really not use Agent any more, is there some other way for me to crawl specific groups and generate NZB data from them? Am I basically asking someone to tell me how to make my own indexer?

E: Apparently there is still an Agent, and this one that's five major revisions past mine knows what NZBs are. I may investigate that further if I can't figure out what I'm trying to do otherwise.

Tricky Ed fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Okay, so. The PC I was running my Usenet stuff on died catastrophically, I didn't pay attention to NZB.su and it went away, I let my Supernews account expire (and I wasn't using it up anyway), and apparently I have performed a complete memory wipe on myself because I can't even remember what client I was using. I've re-read the last few pages and this is my plan of action:

There's a 2TB block for $60 at http://newsgroupdirect.com/deal-of-the-week#, which seems pretty cool.
Other people have recommended (and obfuscated, so I'll continue without knowing why) t week news, which looks like a good cheap sub for a low-usage person like me.
Finally there's https://www.xsusenet.com/ for emergency fills?

Are these different back-end providers, or am I doubling up somewhere? If I'm not spreading out accounts, where should I go to pick up another backup block?

I don't grab lots of shows and I'm not using this to replace TV, so I don't need something to automate naming or whatever. I'm just going to install NZBGet and trawl around that subreddit to find indexers that are open. The idea of running my own is interesting, though. Does anyone have advice that I won't find through Google?