Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sly Pistachio posted:

So is SABnzbd still an awful client that leeches off your web browser or does it have a standalone interface now?

I don't even know what to say to this, other than that if you want a "standalone interface" SABnzbd isn't for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

demonachizer posted:

Is there an easy way to just browse usenet? I remember that 10 years ago you would just look through it like forums or something. Does that still exist?

Google Groups is basically a frontend to usenet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Nam Taf posted:

It's really weirdly amusing that this attitude is throughout the US (and that most people haven't heard of it) cause in Australia this is offered by almost every ISP. It's called a Naked DSL plan here, in that you don't have a phone line bundled with it. ISPs tend to offer it at $10 more per month than the bundled offering, but obviously you then don't pay the $30/month for phone line rental to bundle. Others let you bundle it with VOIP for less than a dedicated phone line.

I'm on it, for example - it's great.
I don't think that attitude is throughout the US. This may be the first time I've ever heard anything negative about dry loops.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Murodese posted:

Ugh, Sickbeard keeps grabbing the proper for a file and corrupting it (the original file is ~360mb, after it pulls the proper it's 11mb). Do I have to have the post-processing for sabnzbd set to Download for Sickbeard to handle it properly? It's on +unpack at the moment.

This sounds like the proper is corrupted on usenet. Are you sure it's a good file?

Try just downloading it manually.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EC posted:

This sounds great! There's nothing more aggravating than downloading 5+gb of useless data on a slow connection.

Anyone that uses Couch Potato: does trailer downloading work for you? It fails when I try to get trailers for existing movies (the logs show that it matches the movies up with trailers on Apple's site, then fails when the actual download starts). Although I have the "download trailer" option checked, all I get for new movies is the nfo and tbn file.

Also, why doesn't it write a XBMC specific nfo file? An implementation like SickBeard, where the user can choose the type of metadata to download, would be perfect.

As an aside, I hope that the Sickbeard guys eventually roll in movies. I just like the way that app works better.
Why do you want more data in the nfo? What CouchPotato puts in there just ensures that XBMC scrapes the right movie.

Midgetspy and I have talked in the past about movies. Theyre not a good fit for SB. They work completely different from the way TV shows do so you'd end up with completely different code and UI...at which point you should've just built a different app to begin with.

That being said, I would have built CP completely different from the way Ruudberger built it. Having hacked on the code to improve renaming and add XBMC integration I can say its pretty obvious that he was new-ish to Python and maybe even to coding. I'm still glad someone stepped up to the plate and made something usable though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

paradigmm posted:

https://nzb.su/mymovies

I haven't found anything CP does extra to be worthwhile, maybe because I use XBMC.

How do you specify quality settings in My Movies...that's one of the biggest purposes of CP. You've been able to set up RSS feeds for searches on different NZB sites for a long time.

With regard to CP renaming issues...I've had it misname a movie maybe three or four times out of maybe a couple hundred movie downloads.

I think perhaps you have something configured wrong if it's not renaming correctly. Granted, if you can't figure out the mis-configuration, CP is a failure...but it IS possible to get it working well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

I just miss the newzbin glory days when I didn't have to manually rename everything :(

If you use Usenet for TV and you're not using Sickbeard, YOU HAVE FAILED!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

duz posted:

Just set a custom quality of hd first and sd-dvd to archive. That way it'll grab the HDTV cap then delete it when the DVD becomes available.
Unless its changed recently, it won't overwrite a larger file with a smaller one so you'll have to be sure to delete the larger.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Uuudar posted:

I'm having a problem with CP; it will not move the folder. I don't want the folder or file re-named; I just want it moved from the default complete folder onto another drive. I currently have the Renaming tab enabled, point it to where my Movies are placed, then have the Movie Destination the drive/folder where I want them to end up. Both Folder and File Renaming are blank.

Click "show naming options".

You'll see there's an "original" tag to use original filename.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Uuudar posted:

Typing in "original" causes everything to be named "original." Do I want to put in something like this:

thename.year.quality.sourcemedia.audio.video-group
Tags are surrounded by angle brackets...<original>

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Posts Only Secrets posted:

No. And that was covered in the OP:

Incorrect. A large part of the reason they lost their case in the UK was because their admins actively encourage infringement.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

clandestine cactus posted:

Sometimes providers remove parts of files to comply with DMCA notices; not that I'm saying that is your issue. A block plan backup is probably your best bet.

The nice part is that all they have to do is not remove the same parts, so having multiple providers fixes this problem.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EC posted:

Some routers also allow you to do DNS redirections on the LAN side. dd-wrt, for example, resolves my external address (whatever.serveftp.net) to it's internal address (192.168.1.5) when I'm connected to my LAN. Outside of the network it resolves to the external IP. This lets me run things like myNZB on my iPhone and it'll work no matter where I am (it also works with bookmarks for stuff like CouchPotato and Sickbeard).

It might be worth looking into if your router supports it (for dd-wrt I had to enable "dnsmasq" and configure an additional option like "address=/whatever.serveftp.net/192.168.1.5"). I know m0n0wall and pfSense has this feature as well.

Yes. This is what I do.

I have an dynamic dns with dyndns.org and all my devices whether they are on my home network or away just use "whatupholmes.dyndns-host.com:8080".

I believe this feature is generally called NAT Loopback.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Aatrek posted:

I have a Verizon FIOS router, and I'm staring at the port forwarding screen and my eyes are glazing over. I've got no idea how to set this up to forward the way you describe.

Do I choose TCP or UDP?

TCP.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

plester1 posted:

Wait, are you saying you can tweet at Couch Potato and it will download what you tell it to?

No, it just tweets what you've downloaded. I'm not sure why anyone would want this when CouchPotato already supports notif.io

The pHo posted:

I find my account gets deleted from there every few weeks and I have to remake it. Maybe I should log in once a week so it doesn't think I'm idle. One of the drawbacks of a non-paid account I guess.

Most routers have a feature to automatically update your dyndns account. There's also lots of software that does this for you automatically as well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sly Pistachio posted:

I don't understand why everyone is getting BlockNews accounts to help bandage their provider with poor completion when the BlockNews people sell unlimited accounts
Because the idea is that they all have incompletes, but that what is broken on one isn't broken on the other.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FWIW, I regularly download at ~8MB/s using Supernews + Charter Communications 60/5 package in midwest, USA.

I'm thinking about downgrading my package, though. I'm almost never sitting around waiting for something to download. With CouchPotato and Sickbeard, things are just there ready to be watched in XBMC when I sit down to watch TV.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bEatmstrJ posted:

What am I missing?

Nothing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

This is only tangentially related, but what the hell...I figure geeks will like this.

I made this visualization of the commit history to the sickbeard git repository:

http://bit.ly/nHLzD1

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hogburto posted:

You're like a pusher just giving us one free taste. You told us we'd like it and suggested we try it, but you didn't tell us we'd need more.
Is this VIDI?

Made with gource.

brc64 posted:

You're addicted to these things.

I was bored last night!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I wish there was an actual "Purge all" function on the sabnzbd+ Plush history. As it is now, you have to click the X, click purge failed, click the X again, and purge completed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

haywire posted:

I don't understand these speeds people are getting, unless providers have started throttling. Back when Astraweb sucked less (3 years ago), and our techs accidentally disabled throttling in our University digs, I was getting ~25MB/sec (something like 200Mbits or something) from Astraweb, so I always assumed that they can feed you as fast as you can eat.

Currently stuck on a rubbish BT connection that's getting ~250KB/sec on a good day :(

Hmm. I hadn't noticed anyone except that guy in Japan getting less speeds than their internet connection maxed out at. I certainly max out my internet connection with Supernews at around 8MB/s.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TreFitty posted:

Also, why the he'll is every Giganews reseller cheaper than Giganews?

I'd assume they have huge profit margins via the Giganews service. By offering Supernews at a competitive price they can get the customers who would go with their competitors because of price and still get the people who don't bother to research usenet providers and go with Giganews because it's so "premium".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Marvel posted:

Hmm.. is there a way to tell sabnzbd to only download off of the backup server if the file can't be repaired?

So the priority list would be like

1. Download from primary server. If that fails, then
2. Try to download the PAR2s (from the primary server) and use those to repair, unless we don't have enough parity to repair, in which case
3. Fall back to the backup block provider

Unless I'm retarded and that's how it works already.

Huh, I always assumed it worked this way. If it doesn't work this way, I wonder what the reason is?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Le0 posted:

I noticed that when using couchpotato, it finds movies but the category is not correctly set to movies anymore. What gives?

It actually searches TMDB since they have an actual API and then when it scrapes for info it uses IMDB...TMDB doesn't have every movie IMDB does. You can always use the userscript and add to CP direct from IMDB.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

reboot posted:

Alright cool, thanks. And yeah i have a pretty nice connection (50 meg) and i seem to be maxing it out while downloading. (I get 6.3-5MBPS)

Gonna go cancel my giganews account and go sign up with supernews. Thanks a ton.

FWIW, I routinely break 7MB/s with Supernews and my 60 meg internet connection.

Incidently...that amount of speed is almost worthless to me. I'm almost never just sitting around waiting for something to download. Sickbeard and Couchpotato download stuff, and when I want to watch stuff I sit down and watch what I haven't seen yet.

I'd downgrade to a 20 megabit connection if only it didn't have a 250GB cap on Charter.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 22, 2011

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ohgodwhat posted:

Is newzbin really not worth paying for? The other places I've gone, like NZB.su and NZBsRUs just look like poo poo and seem pretty poorly run. I never got that impression from Newzbin, so if Newzbin does the same exact stuff and doesn't suck, I'd rather pay for it.

Why don't you just try them out and see what you think?

Personally, I don't like the UI of newzbin and find that it offers nothing worth paying for.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've been using my own fork of CouchPotato for the past year and I haven't pulled from upstream in like 8 months.

I don't know if this feature has made it in to any of the actual releases yet, but I just pulled the latest source and there's a sweet feature to subscribe to the blu-ray.com RSS feed and auto-add every movie that has an IMDB rating above whatever you specify.

Pretty neato.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

devmd01 posted:

I actually prefer doing it this way, what with propers and the like with my wierd folder structure I have set up. Takes about 60 seconds with rdp while I eat my cereal in the morning, and it'll be scanned and imported into the boxee box by the time I get home from work.

FWIW, Sickbeard automatically handles propers.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

E: It looks like the file needs to be in a folder, and that's how it's going to read it? I can't just dump the files themselves into my "Download" directory?

That is correct. CouchPotato requires individual folders for each movie.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ambushsabre posted:

Again, NzbMatrix is very worth it, because no matter what there'll be comments and so you have some idea of what you actually might be downloading.

I like NzbMatrix just fine, but I bet half of what I search for there doesn't have comments.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

haywire posted:

Yeah, this is weird, still getting ~600-700KB/s from Supernews' EU servers. Which is awful, seeing as I used to get 6.5MB/sec.

Also, what the hell - when I check my connection status I get:

code:

[email]1313161598.21661.94@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161597.98089.81@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161597.88698.74@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161597.92234.78@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161598.04457.86@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161598.21214.93@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161597.91705.77@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161598.15032.92@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161598.12474.90@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161598.22043.95@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161598.00832.83@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161598.04033.85@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161597.89548.76@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161598.12023.89@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161598.05435.87@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161598.14715.91@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161597.97780.80@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161598.08957.88@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161598.03544.84@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu
[email]1313161598.23603.96@eu.news.astraweb.com[/email]	Ubuntu.rar	Ubuntu

But I'm with SuperNews, who as far as I can remember were a GigaNews reseller.

The only thing I can think is that for some reason Supernews switched to astraweb and now have lovely throttled servers :S

That's the provider of the person who posted the thing to Usenet. It doesn't have anything to do with who your provider is.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

kri kri posted:

Which phone? I looked on github the other day and someone added support for some android notifier app.

Also does anyone know why midgetspy is not merging the commits on github? I don't know how github works really but it looks like people have really polished it but he is not pushing anything out.

I haven't talked to him in a few weeks but one of the responsibilities of a lead maintainer is to make sure that changes mesh with future planned code changes, to make sure that the code to merge doesn't break things, and basically look over the quality of the code. So...not only do some forks not meet those qualifications, but it takes time to review it. The more sweeping the changes the longer it takes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Straker posted:

The point I was making was sort of that it really doesn't take much bandwidth to keep up on new shows, how many TV shows simultaneously airing new episodes can a family reasonably watch, 10? 20? And a couple dozen movies a month?

We have time for maybe 3 or 4, but I download like...50 or something. I then have them to watch at some point in the future.

Straker posted:

also HD really isn't that important for most things. I don't want to name names because :filez: but do you really need sitcoms, cartoons and low production value comedy shows in 1080p? Documentaries and science shows and that kinda thing are all I bother getting in HD even though I have tons of storage.

I can't stand to watch any SD content on an HDTV. No matter what post processing you do, SD looks like poo poo on a 50+ inch 1080p set.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Xanar posted:

So I was having the same problem as another poster who said some shows were not updating on Sickbeard. After searching a bit I have found something here
https://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard/commit/984ea92d3a2e93c35913aa1bf29f0423b6eb8f59
I'm not especially good at computers so if I am reading this right, this was a change to the source code and so the only way I can get this fix is to download the source and compile it myself? The latest binary is from months ago so it looks like there has been a lot of fixes that I am missing out on.

If that is the case, is it possible to get precompiled versions of the newest source which aren't official releases? Or is that generally frowned upon.

Your easiest course of action is to download this, the zipped up version of the latest source.

Unzip it somewhere.

Install python.

Install whatever dependencies sickbeard has.

Double click sickbeard.py.

Revel in the fact that you're running a cutting edge version.

All of those steps are pretty easy...if you're using Sickbeard already it shouldn't be beyond your skill level.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Since I'm running on Unix, I should just be able to use the built in updater and get this patch? I might already have it, because some of my shows have been fixed already it seems.

Is there a way to see exactly what version (aka what commit) you're running with sickbeard?

The built in updater keeps you up to date with the latest commit.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Syano posted:

There are a couple titles that have a problem with sickbeard because thetvdb uses the official season designations and, well, not everyone else does. For those of you who have encountered this problem, are you just pulling those titles manually or do you have an alternative?

I set up an RSS feed for a title that is always uploaded with a season number two behind what the tvdb uses. After the show gets downloaded I have a python post-processing script I wrote that renames it with the "correct" season numbers and then calls the sickbeard post processing script.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

inpheaux posted:

In other other news, moving to GitHub has had the intended effect of bringing in more collaborators.

Wtf, I didn't know this happened.

I may hack on the code a bit now. Never did before because I was too lazy to use anything other than Github.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Smeep posted:

I run files through MetaGenerator to get synopsis/cast/jpeg, etc., before I PyTivo them over, because I'm anal like that and I want all my TiVo shows to look the same. Is there a way to attach the meta data automatically with Sickbeard?

Yes. Config > Post Processing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

io_burn posted:

I was thinking of a utility that'd be super handy today- Does something exist that scans your media library and Netflix's streaming library then provide a list of things you have that you can delete because they're already on Netflix? Seems like that'd be a really radical addition to both Sickbeard and Couchpotato if you could add Netflix's streaming catalog as another search destination. I mean, if I can stream something in HD off Netflix, there's not much reason to be hogging up drive space keeping a copy locally that I can think of.

Netflix HD streams are like 1/2 to 1/3 the bitrate of your average encode.