Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Just switched from Windows 7 to OS X and getting my :files: working is a bit tricky.

I have SABNZBD+ running on my iMac, and I am telling it to write directly to my NAS. for a few reasons, my NAS has been disconnected occasionally. When it comes back on, however, SABNZBD has tried to write to the same directory (which is usually \volumes\media\downloads) but as the NAS is missing SABNZBD+ then writes to seemingly where ever it feels like with the same path. Then the NAS comes back on, and since that path already exists because SABNZBD created it, the NAS name now is \volumes\media-1\downloads.

I have a feeling this will all stop when I start turning my computer off (since I wont turn it on until I get home, and the NAS powers up before I get home) but is there any way to make SAB not try to create the directory if it doesnt exist? nearly at the point where running a windows VM just for SABNZBD and sickbeard..

which brings me to how the gently caress do you get sickbeard running in OS X?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im having trouble with MyNZB.

It worked like a charm on my windows machine, but for whatever reason since migrating to a mac, I cant get it to work via 3G. I normally set it to https, disable API and forward ports accordingly on the router, but it wont work. connects instantly via wifi, but the second Im using 3G it times out.

firewall on the mac is off, and to be sure I have doublechecked port forwarding is correct - is there something in the mac config thats blocking the connection? is there anyway to monitor my inbound connections on the mac to determine if the request is making it into my network?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

td4guy posted:

Use http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to double-check that the port is open and responding on your mac.

Thanks. although im starting to think its an issue with the latest version of either MyNZB or SAB not talking to the other one, as the more people i ask, the more people say its not working for them on 3G either.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

is there any fix for sickbeard under lion?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I found this neat little piece of software for OSX that makes it easy to launch sickbeard: http://ka010.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/opensource-a-sickbeard-launcher-app/

sits in the menu bar at the top of the screen with start/restart/stop controls.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Corbet posted:

Is it really that hard to create an .app wrapper for a python based program? I can't believe it hasn't been done yet.

For Snow Leopard there was a plist file floating around that worked well enough. after I upgraded to Lion Sickbeard and the plist file broke so that no longer works.

I just added this to my startup items list and will use that for now. The Developer admits its kinda bloated for what it is but hes still working on it.

better than opening terminal and typing the same poo poo in every reboot though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Corbet posted:

For those on mac using SickBeard Launcher, have you noticed a memory leak?

I was messing around in activity monitor and noticed that it was using almost a gig of memory. I went ahead and restarted and it was only using 15 MB of memory. I've been eyeing it for the past 5 minutes or so and it's up to 25 MB.

Now I know what's causing my swap file to take up 5 GB of space. I hardly ever restart my computer.

edit: up to 70MB. I'm gonna keep monitoring it but I guess I'll have to make sure I exit out of the launcher when I open SickBeard. I messaged the creator on Twitter so I'll update anything I hear.

I was having an issue with another product from this guy - boxee reemote (for ipad) and mentioned that I was using sickbeard launcher and he did warn me it is a little leaky at the moment and to restart it periodically.

I will check this when I get home as my computer has been on for about 2 weeks now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have 1.5TB downloaded with blocknews over the past year with no issues. regularly hitting 5-7MB/second, sometimes as high as 9MB/second download on SSL.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 30, 2012

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

i updated sickbeard, and now its on the wrong port (8082 instead of 8081) and has curiously enabled SSL and a password, which i dont normally use.

is there a way to go into the ini file and change this? (OSX lion)

EDIT: .ini file edited successfully. password is stored as plain text.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 19, 2012

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I will throw in my 2 cents and say that I use blocknews and blocknews only as my primary usenet provider.

my internet is :australia: capped :australia: to 75GB on peak + 75GB off peak data a month. Depending what I want to download that month Im not pushing any more than maybe 50GB or so a month. it makes no sense to have a subscription of $10 a month when I cant actually use more than 150GB a month anyway.

in the last 2 years I have spend $140 on blocks (100GB to test the waters, 200 to keep on keepin on and then a 500GB block once i got sickbeard and currently half way through another 500GB block) which, if I had used a $10/mo sub it would be double that with no additional perk to me. I very rarely have completion issues, even on older stuff.

I mean, you guys in places that have no restrictions, it makes sense to not have restrictions on your usenet either, but for me and the amount i download, blocknews is pretty much the best deal.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dj_pain posted:

Umm dude, look into getting your plan upgraded. Even telstra offer 200gb on there $69 plan. Also If you are australian and you are on internode/iinet use there newservice as you get about 35 days retention for free.

Telstra don't offer 100mbit cable.

Plan inc home phone and Internet for $100/mo

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Chick3n posted:

Yes they do. Free on a bundle or $10/mo extra. 200gb 100/2 cable and homephone $90/mo. A couple months back that plan was on sale for $80/mo.

My favourite part of switching to cable was ditching the on/off-peak nonsense. Now I can download what I want when I want.

They didnt offer it when i signed on to optus. 2 year contract :/

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

As an Australian, a useful feature for sickbeard would be a customisable time-zone, so you can see when stuff is actually going to be available.

I mean, I can do the math in my head, but I dont really want to.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah after grabbing Lion on day 1 last year and having my SAB, SB and AFP shares on my NAS all hosed for a good while I decided waiting for mountain lion to bed-in for a week or two is probably worth while.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What is this SABtoSickBeard thing you guys talk about? I dont see the little scroll icon, yet all my poo poo gets named and moved by sickbeard as it normally would.

im on OSX though, so maybe thats the difference.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anyone else using MyNZB on iOS6/iphone5 and finding that they cant access NZBS.org for searches from the phone?

I have re-entered my API/ID numbers and still cant get it to work - the NZBs.org sites are greyed out within the app.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Does Couch Potato actually work, or does it just have a really nice interface that does nothing but show me stuff that I have told it I want to get? :(

EDIT: nevermind, its working fine now. although I cant seem to figure out how to get it to re-scan my existing files to add to the DB.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 4, 2012

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Feenix posted:

Pardon a possibly dumb question: Mountain Lion screwed up the auto-start up scripts for Sickbeard and CouchPotatoServer way back when it came out and I haven't come across a working one since...

Does anyone know if something was ever discovered or fixed for them?

I use 'sickbeard launcher' on OSX lion as a startup item that handles sickbeard for me. https://github.com/ka010/SickBeard-Launcher

dont really use CP enough to know anything about it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont know if its just couch potato or what, but it probably is given the symptoms.

every download I start with CP magically downloads at like 500MB/sec and then fails. My connection is only good for up to 12MB/sec.

started the same download manually using the same nzb and its fine.

what gives?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What I dont understand is that the networks see this kind of setup, how popular it is and how simple it is, yet they wont embrace it.

I mean its obviously possible since usenet exists. just loving make me pay the money to the networks rather than some guy with a bunch of servers. what is so hard to comprehend about that?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Squibbles posted:

Yeah but then how would they control every aspect of how you view/use their material. Geesh!

well they shouldnt. if youre buying something, you should own it to do with as you please, but thats getting off topic.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

god drat it, is there any way to get a status update on nzbs.org? I want to use my account for things and DGAF about this 'refugees' looking for another indexer.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lemons posted:

nzbs.org/login

yeah it looks like they are attempting to go low profile while the poo poo storm peters out.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Danforth05 posted:

Anyone here use two separate providers as backups?

I currently use Supernews for my main provider with a few gigs from Blocknews as a backup. Would it be a good idea to invest in a second backup from, say, a Highwinds reseller?

Can't say I've run into any DMCA problems, but I figure that if a certain item receives a takedown notice, more backups are better since there is a greater chance that one of them will drag their feet and I'll be able to squeeze in my download.

Or is this overkill since I already have a backup and haven't experienced any problems as of yet?

are blocknews a highwinds reseller?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

here are some more index sites I have found via other forums in the last few days. most seem to be newsnab based though they have been open for new users on and off the last few days.

nzb7.com
nzbzombie.com
nzbclub.com
usenet-crawler.com

Ive managed to get into all of those and configure them in sickbeard OK.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

does anyone use SickBeard Launcher in Mountain Lion? I am running Lion ATM and figure its time to upgrade but dont want to do it if I lose my automated start of sickbeard, as my PC is on a power schedule to turn on and download stuff before I get home from work.

EDIT: Tweeted to the developer, and he updated it to work with ML. pretty cool guy!

Laserface fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 6, 2013

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cool, thanks, thats pretty simple.

Is there anything else I should be wary of when upgrading to ML from Lion? such as python/cheetah stuff getting replaced?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im not sure why anyone is bothering with either, but then again I have nzbs.org access.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TV is fine, but anything else viewing wise I'm finding it too hard to find complete listings so I ha e gone back to torrents.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ive got a 500GB blocknews account, whats a good alternative block provider to supplement with?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Whoever decided that two-part episodes should be listed as one is a real loving moron, thats for sure.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

well apparently it doesnt use TVDB which after a month spent re-watching Seinfeld (ripped from legit DVD and renamed, thank you very much.) with its 2-parter episodes being merged into single eps and thus breaking the file naming, makes a whole lot of loving sense.

seriously, who the gently caress thought that was a good idea? no 2 part episdes are released as 1 episode.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have 100mbit cable in Australia and as long as it isn't 7pm on a weeknight I can get 11.5MB/s with SSL to block news.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I always found it pretty obvious how sizing worked for downloads.

700MB rip to fit on CD-R for playback on a divx compatible player
3-4GB rip for a DVD-R (straight copy)
8GB for a DL disc full copy bit for bit.

and now everything is moving towards .mp4 so you dont even have to convert it for mobile devices.

I find the scene pretty interesting actually and would love to know how stuff is decided on and so forth. anywhere that goes into detail about it?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

faceless, I cant dream
Worlds of sorrow on my head
give me your invite

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there a way to tell Sickbeard to leave stuff alone until the file is fully downloaded?

my torrents folder is the same as my usenet completed folder, and a whole bunch of my downloads from bit torrent got moved as soon as the files were partially created, which then of course broke the torrent and stopped it from downloading.

Im assuming this is what the 'ignore' function does in sickbeard?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Don't tell sickbeard to postprocess your incomplete directory.

I dont think uTorrent has a completed/incomplete directory, just the one option and this hasnt really happened before.

I know I could just wait and add the show to sickbeard once the downloads are completed but I only use torrents to backfill what NZBs cant find - if theres a season or two available on usenet I would rather use that to grab them as its usually better quality (and its via SSL so Im not going to be spied on by my ISP)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Add /index or /search to the URL.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Raffles posted:

On a related topic is there a simple way to get sickbeard to launch in startup on OSX?

Google "Sickbeard Launcher" its a nice little app that works.

Unfortunately it has trouble keeping it running on Mountain Lion - Python will eventually get hung and you have to force quit and relaunch from the menu bar icon.

Apparently this is something to do with launching Sickbeard as a daemon, but thats about all the information I can find on it- no solution yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

is Sickbeard compatible with Python version 3.3.2?

Im having issues with 2.7 in that python decides to randomly hang with 99% CPU usage and I figure updating to the latest and greatest is probably the best first step to fix this.

operating on OS X 10.8.3 with sickbeard version "alpha (master) -- git : fb37d332b333b43e7bcae46b619ae6b7ef94e266"