Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Thauros posted:

Haven't used Usenet since the '90s and this thread made me curious. Signed up for a 10 gb block account, got SABnzbd and it seems to be working pretty well.

Does anyone actually use Usenet as a message board anymore? I browsed a few groups via Opera and it was all just spam.

Most people use the google groups interface now and with that much of the active discussions are in the company specific groups/branches since GG lets you create groups easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Roving Reporter posted:

Is there any reason to use nzb.su if you already have accounts at nzbs.org and nzbmatrix? Or am I not missing out on much?

nzbs.org and nzb.su are running the same code, just with different themes and some slightly different regexes. So not really, but if you have an account there's no reason not to toss it into SickBeard.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

kalibar posted:

Are most of you guys using nettops just running XBMC as its own OS?

I wanted to do that, but I need an OS with a browser and Flash for YouTube, Hulu, and NBA League Pass.

XBMC has a youtube plugin and quite possibly hulu and nba ones, I havn't checked.

Nam Taf posted:

It's really weirdly amusing that this attitude is throughout the US (and that most people haven't heard of it) cause in Australia this is offered by almost every ISP. It's called a Naked DSL plan here, in that you don't have a phone line bundled with it. ISPs tend to offer it at $10 more per month than the bundled offering, but obviously you then don't pay the $30/month for phone line rental to bundle. Others let you bundle it with VOIP for less than a dedicated phone line.

I'm on it, for example - it's great.

Most havn't heard of it because it was a condition of the SBC & AT&T merger a couple years ago that at&t allow dry loops in all regions. So most people couldn't even get it until recently.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Sizzlechest posted:

Can you change the default base directory for sabnzbd instead of changing all the directory settings individually?

The base directory is where the ini is located.

duz fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 14, 2011

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

Well... Yes, sabnzbd parses the general structure correctly, but the nzbs.org nzb's are missing the episode name, which my tv processing setup in sabnzbd uses... apparently causing the file to not be renamed. And even if it was, it'd still be missing the episode name.

I just miss the newzbin glory days when I didn't have to manually rename everything :(

Why aren't you using SickBeard?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

gepgepgep posted:

Need help with SABnzbd:
1) I keep getting warnings from host in the warning log about to many server connections. I have setup the proper # of connections in the server setting. Does hitting refresh or using other actions cause it to force connect and upset it?
2) I don't see any updates in the client (Using Windows 7/Chrome). Example: I have a 1.3GB file, no updates over several minutes --> Restart client --> 0% again but shows 900M more downloaded in monthly total at bottom.

Where am I screwing up?

1) You should set your connection limit to less than your total allowed. Usually around six is all you need for full speed.
2) The classic theme doesn't update automatically, you have to hit refresh. You can enable it to or you can use a different theme.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Just set a custom quality of hd first and sd-dvd to archive. That way it'll grab the HDTV cap then delete it when the DVD becomes available.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Uuudar posted:

Does Sickbeard do this automatically or do I need to enable it? Also, will it rescan my folders at a future date and replace with higher quality if they become available automatically?

It depends on the quality settings and yes, it'll automatically upgrade any show you have added when it finds a better quality copy.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Mierdaan posted:

I checked the indexing sites list and didn't see any mention of it, so does anyone know what indexers include ebooks? nzbs.org does not, apparently, and that's what I'm using right now.

nzb.su seems to have a eBook section.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

If you grab the v2 beta of nzbdstatus, it'll work on nzb.su

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Secx posted:

Is the retention on Newsdemon really that bad or do they delete posts due to DMCA notices?

I'm trying to download two nzbs. One 100 days old, the other 200 days old. Both fail because the post is no longer on the server. I tried with both SABnzbd and Newsbin. Tried the .nzb from nzbmatrix.com and nzbs.org

Recent posts are fine though.

It's Highwinds, they really are that bad.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

brc64 posted:

I just ended up going through the wizard, which wasn't as bad as I was expecting. But now I have a new issue. I'm trying to follow the instructions to set this up as a daemon, but I seem to have hit a wall. I've edited /etc/default/sabnzbdplus as described, but when I try to do /etc/init.d/sabnzbdplus start, I get:

code:
 * Starting SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber                                                                                    
/etc/init.d/sabnzbdplus: 25: start-stop-daemon: not found

http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/install-as-a-unix-daemon isn't needed on ubuntu as the repo contains the init.d already. If you overwrote it, fix it up before trying to use it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

io_burn posted:

I guess I don't fully understand all the politics behind Newzbin, but why is it that they're getting cracked down on so hard while all the other usenet indexing sites just keep on truckin'? What vital mistake did they make to make them legally vulnerable that the other sites (apparently) didn't do? Now that there are basically better indexes out there, it doesn't make much sense why legal types continue to focus on Newzbin.

They're based in the UK.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

io_burn posted:

Alright so everything that failed from SuperNews downloaded without issue via Giganews. This is so frustrating, as the best part about SickBeard, CouchPotato, and Sabnzbd is the "set it and forget it" nature of things. I'd love to cheap out with SuperNews, but holy poo poo is it irritating to have missing articles gumming up the works. I almost think that's worth just paying the premium for Giganews if they're the kings of retention and completion.

That's really weird since they're the same servers. I wonder if your route to supernews or their connection went flakey during that time.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Corbet posted:

That's pretty funny considering I went and checked out nzbmatrix (I've only ever used nzb.su, I wish I could get an account at nzbds.org) and managed to find some obscure things I've been trying to find for months to no avail.

NZBMatrix relies on user submissions like Newzbin, this means it'll get stuff the automated scrapers won't because it's named ASLSJAGLKASGH.ARJ and it's actually whatever it is you're looking for.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

SlipperyNipple posted:

Usenetnow has 6 months for $48 each. so that is a slightly better price. http://www.usenetnow.net/holidays.html Can not say one way or the other how they will perform on 100 MBits in Japan but my little 20 MBit slice of the pie in the states performs well.

Except that it's Highwinds and thus about the worst choice you could make.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

inpheaux posted:

Except it isn't. UsenetNow is the same company as Blocknews / FrugalUsenet, which runs off their own feed, as best as we can tell.

Man, I keep getting these lesser known providers confused.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Corbet posted:

Slight derail, but is there anything that can be done if a telecom (Comcast) has a choke hold on your area? Write your congressman? The mayor? Who?

I don't think there are any alternatives around here.

Start your own ISP. You have a couple hundred million set aside to buy right of way access, right?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

brc64 posted:

I may be looking into picking up an unlimited plan fairly soon and just switch my Astraweb account to be a backup. The OP lists Supernews and UsenetServer as being the two best non-Astraweb unlimited deals. Opinions on each? Is Supernews worth the two extra dollars per month?

http://bit.ly/ii2vsP $10/mo, best deal there is for SuperNews.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Jarl posted:

There is a few things that I don't find very clear about usenet.

If I understand it correctly, every usenet server is alone and not some service that allow you access to the rest of usenet (i.e. all of the usenet servers). Although some usenet servers automatically download from other usenet servers (called "reselling").

You do not understand correctly. Each of the main Usenet providers mirror each other's servers so that when you post to your provider, it shows up on the other servers. Resellers are the companies that don't personally own the servers and just sell access.

quote:

Indexers confuse me. It would make sense if it was a part of every usenet server (i.e. indexing itself). Instead other services indexes the content on other usenet servers. Apparently one has to make sure that the usenet server one employ is indexed by ones indexer. I must assume it is easy to make it clear which usenet servers' results that are of interests.

Since the Usenet providers all mirror each other, it doesn't matter which they use, as long as they're using a decent one. Indexers work the same way as manually browsing Usenet, just a lot faster since it only cares about the headers.

quote:

Also, once ASCII was 7-bit and some people made it possible to encode 8-bit binary files into 7-bit ASCII (among other things necessary for the distribution of large binary files over usenet). Since ASCII is now 8-bit, have they modified this or remains it the same for the single reason that poo poo cannot be undone. - Just trying to getting a feel for if usenet is something that through and through falls into that trap.

Usenet is text only so all binary posts have to be encoded into text, the old way was uuenc and was a 3:4 conversion, the new way is with yenc and is almost a 1:1 conversion. You will never have to worry about this.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

EC posted:

This is probably not even remotely possible, but I figured I'd toss it out here anyway. Is there a way to make SAB download specific files? Say you have a multi-set nzb that contains a bunch of ISOs, but you want to download a specific ISO first. Is there a way to do this manually or automatically?

My internet is super loving slow and waiting on a 20gb download sucks.

Click the queue entry and rearrange the files.
It won't post process until they're all done so next time don't use combined nzbs.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ohgodwhat posted:

Is newzbin really not worth paying for? The other places I've gone, like NZB.su and NZBsRUs just look like poo poo and seem pretty poorly run. I never got that impression from Newzbin, so if Newzbin does the same exact stuff and doesn't suck, I'd rather pay for it.

nzb.su isn't poorly run at all, infact it's the same code that runs nzbs.org, just with a not as nice theme.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

io_burn posted:

This might be a long shot, but are any of you guys in the SoCal area with Time Warner? I know they've got no public bandwidth cap, but I was fiddling around with Sickbeard and using the "custom" quality thing and inadvertently downloaded nearly a terabyte of 1080p rips. I don't keep that close of an eye on it since it's all so automatic and only noticed because everything was throwing up errors about disk space.

...Anyone know what the monthly transfer ceiling they have on their "unlimited" connections? The service we get from them is surprisingly good, I'm worried about pissing the wrong people off there and being relegated to Uverse. :cry:

Time Warner doesn't care about a terrabyte in a month. I've done that and others in the channel have and they've never complained.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So if I want the newest Sickbeard versions, I have to download from Git and compile from source?

Unless you install python and run from source, yes.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Straker posted:

As for caps, to be blunt, it's an American thing, follow the money.

Don't tell that to the Australians.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

clavicle posted:

It must be gone from there as well. It seems to happen. I got tired of missing articles so I got a 25 gig blocknews account for a backup just a little while ago, and was still missing blocks for the particular thing I really wanted. Oh well.

It could also be that the original post was corrupt. You can search for fills on one of the raw search engines.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Shroomie posted:

I'm just going to leave it as a backup and see what happens.

Make sure to also set it as optional so if it can't connect, it doesn't tie up the entire thing.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

wolrah posted:

For some reason the preset categories seemed to disappear a few versions back, I never figured that decision out.

It was due to the NewzBin lawsuit, categories were part of the reasoning the judge used to rule against NewzBin.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Cwapface posted:

Is there a logical reason why SABnzb is disinclined to download more than one thing at once? If I have two downloads going, it ignores the second one to be added until it's finished the first. If I set them both to "force" it does them both at once, but it still prioritises whichever was added first. I've looked though the config options, but I can't see what might be causing this, or how to fix it.

Because then you'd be downloading both items at half your speed.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

drwprtcht posted:

Sorry if this has been posted already...but xsusenet is offering free 1mbit accounts right now.

http://www.xsusenet.com/en/

Gogogogo

They've been doing it for some time. Good luck being able to actually use it though.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Atreus posted:

I've heard that there are going to have good service plans coming up this Black Friday. Anyone know which companies did this in the past, and what is considered a good buy?

The highwinds resellers and none of them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

There is a project in the works that'd map tvdb numbers to scene numbers and viceversa. I hope it'll actually end up working out well.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is there a way to get Sickbeard to accept a TV episode split into multiple files (ep1 part 1, ep1 part 2, etc)?

Sickbeard uses xbmc naming which means it should be filename-cd1.avi filename-cd2.avi but I havn't actually tested it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Lowen SoDium posted:

That's a good idea too, though I really like the default Confluence skin. I will look in to those as well.

Confluence has it too. You may have to turn it on first though.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

SlipperyNipple posted:

ISPs can not legally monitor or view what you are downloading anyways, so it would not hold up in court, so the paranoia over ssl or no ssl is a little unfounded. If you have to use it because of throttling so be it but i dont think it is worth it beyond that. Usenet veterans got along without SSL for years without problems.

Sure they can. In the US and probably in most other countries as well.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

SlipperyNipple posted:

Really? How will that work out with their legal common carrier status? They can't have there cake and eat it too. That isnt to say that deep in the network at some ISP some techy nerds arent looking at everything you do without the ISP as a company knowing, but they can not say we saw you looking at CP last night we are sending the cops after you.

Simple, they don't have common carrier status. They're a data service which is a new class that lets them have cake and eat it.

KennyG posted:

More importantly, they actually have an active incentive not to inspect your traffic.

DMCA safe harbor and other provisions for an ISP hinge on the fact that they are little more than a 'dumb pipe.' When they start moving to content inspection for one type of content, they become liable for all content. This is why Comcast cable doesn't inspect your downloads for NBC/Universal content. Because once they have actual knowledge of what the content is, they become just as responsible as the user. This is why torrents are so easy to check, they don't have to inspect the pipe, they go to the source and pool the swarm for the 10,000 IP's that are on the Hurt Locker or whatever. From there, it's robosubpoena time.

Incorrect. Active monitoring and other forms of proactive responses do not remove safe harbors despite lawsuits to the contrary.

Biowarfare posted:

And literally every single 'big boy' US ISP does dns hijacking and returning false records.

Comcast had to stop doing that when they implemented DNS-SEC. The others will have to do likewise.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

kri kri posted:

I think thetvdb is getting a full re-write as well, hope this solves at least some of these issues.

They've been getting that rewrite for like 3 years now. As long as the people running the site don't change, it's going to stay like it is (they're terrible programmers). I just hope xem becomes usable with Sickbeard.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Gimperial posted:

Is the nzbdStatus dev a goon?

Now that newzbin moved from .com to .es, everything is broken :(

Yes. I probably should fix that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Sperg Victorious posted:

Sometimes you'll see the whole thing taken down. But I'm guessing the takedown notices don't include all the post IDs needed to take everything down.

This is likely it. While I havn't seen the takedowns they get, knowing the studios, they probably only include a few of the message IDs and the providers arn't about to start taking an initiative wrt removing things.