Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.

diapermeat posted:

Anyone having issues loading NZBSRUS?

http://www.myce.com/news/mpa-shuts-down-nzbsrus-usenet-index-site-53926/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
Suppose you download the .nzb file in the open (i.e. not through https), and then you download the contents of the nzb from your usenet provider, using SSL. Would it be possible for them to catch you that way? Presumably, they see you download a .nzb file for a 1.8GB video, and then see your computer making an encrypted connection to a usenet server, downloading 1.8GB worth of encrypted data.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
Assuming I understand this correctly, how come when a usenet provider gets hit with a DMCA takedown, they usually only remove a small part of the copyright infringing post, and not the whole thing? I understand it makes business sense since they want to retain customers (who can just use a separate block account to fill in the missing parts), but surely it goes against the spirit of the DMCA? It's like hosting a copyrighted mp3 on your web server, and when you inevitably get hit with a DMCA notice, you just shave off the last two seconds of the song, and then claim you've complied.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
That makes sense, cheers. I always figured the studios would just send an .nzb containing all the infringing articles, but I guess they don't. And yeah, I take back the mp3 comparison. I meant it more as a cheeky taking-an-argument-to-its-extreme kinda thing.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
Cage: Okay, I think you have everything setup, but you need to tell Sick Beard to send the NZBs to SABnzbd with the correct category.

Go to Sickbeard -> Config -> Search settings. Under 'SABnzbd Category', enter the category you chose: "sickbeard". That should do it.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
My limited understanding as an outsider is that there's a network of 'secure' private FTPs, usually referred to as topsites, that the release groups upload to, and it's those topsites that enforce the extensive scene rules, in the interests of quality and consistency. The releases then trickle down to all the various outlets for consumption by the unwashed masses: usenet, FXP groups, FTP dumps, IRC XDCC channels, torrents, cyberlockers, other P2P programs and so on. As far as I know, all of those outlets are viewed with an equal amount of disdain.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
Most people I know who use Blocknews as their primary use Astraweb as a backup.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
I've never had any issues with MysterBin (which I use fairly often). I'm on supernews with blocknews as a backup. If you are having troubles, try binsearch as Deadpool mentioned.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
Just a heads up: beta.nzbs.org wasn't letting me login because I had capitals in my password. Entering my password in lower-case fixed it.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
I use SSL port 443 with Supernews. Works fine.

Edit: Says you can use SSL on 443 and 563 here: http://www.supernews.com/support/config.html

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
Spotweb sounds very promising if it's adopted by the English-speaking community. But since it's decentralized, how susceptible is it to being 'poisoned' by outside organisations? By poisoning I mean things like spamming every release with dozens of fake duplicates, or perhaps trying to destroy the trust in the user generated comments by automatically posting bogus ones like 'unrepairable', 'missing rars', 'already taken down on Astraweb+BlockNews', 'hardcoded russian subs', 'goes out of sync at 23m:11s', 'cropped aspect ratio', etc.?

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
I've had some NZBs fail in the last two weeks using Supernews with BlockNews backup. I've since added TweakNews and TheCubeNet (Highwinds) as additional backups which seems to have solved it.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005

Fancy_Lad posted:

If anyone is looking for block accounts, thecubnet is having a deal for 25GB blocks for $1.29

https://www.thecubenet.com/clients/cart.php?pid=8&promocode=FBtest5

You can open the link multiple times to add multiple 25GB blocks, but each will have their own login info. Apparently you can email support to combine them.

Although it isn't on the Usenet pic that floats around, near as I can gather it is a Highwinds reseller.

Thanks for the heads up. This is a sweet deal for anyone looking to add a Highwinds block account. I just bought two lots.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
Is it just me or does NZB.su not have a comments system like all the other newznab sites have? I'm wondering if my non-VIP account is bugged or if comments are VIP only.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
How curious. This is what my nzb.su looks like. Comments are nowhere to be found on both Firefox and Chrome. I sorted by 'grabs' as I assume the top nzbs would have at least one comment.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005

Kaddish posted:

I guess I need to sort out a competent indexer then. Ever since my old one shut down I've been sort of drifting. I've been using nzbindex but it's nothing like the old days. Every decent site I find has registrations closed.

Sign up to a few of these free indexers. The Newznab-based ones are probably what you're looking for. http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/nzb-sources

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
Yep, that's correct.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
Isn't it possible to lower the priority of the repairing/verifying processes to avoid any slowdown? (I think I remember someone mentioning it many months ago.)

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
Yeah, that notice does look fake. Suspicious indeed. Assuming the notice is fake, why are they shutting down? Seeing as they were making serious cash (100BTC per month which is about $10,000), you'd think they'd just leave the thing running to rake in the megabucks.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
I've also noticed the increase of missing articles on Supernews lately (and possibly my backup servers too - I usually just cancel the download once I see everything is missing on Supernews). I've only been downloading stuff posted within the last 7-60 days. Looks like I may have to resort to torrents more often. Anyone know if there's a provider out there that offers a good deal on a combined usenet access + seedbox service?

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
For what it's worth, I believe UNS Holdings is Highwinds.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
I think DOGnzb only shows results from categories you're subscribed to (which can be quite handy). Click on My Profile then the Categories tab to check which ones you have ticked.

That $4/month unlimited Newsdemon deal is a steal compared to what I was forking out for Supernews. Hoping Highwinds these days isn't a massive step down from the Giganews feed.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
Same. I took .org for granted. Out of the other sites I've tried, DrunkenSlug seems the best of the bunch but perhaps that's not saying much. I don't have an account at Omg. Is that better?

Lusername fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 1, 2019

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
I miss how the indexers back in the day would have a community where all the big releases would have comments on quality, virus scan results, and so on. Don't seem to see that these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005

KS posted:

Sonarr picked a file with stereo sound instead of 5.1. None of the quality settings appear to be sound aware -- any tricks for dealing with this problem efficiently in the future?

Yeah, same here. It's annoying. I noticed in my case there's only a handful of release groups that release stereo instead of 5.1, so I added those group names into Sonarr's [Settings > Indexers > Must Not Contain]. That seems to work for me.