Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
My CEO/his EA are asking for something I'm really struggling with.

We're on O365. They want the EA to be able to get meeting invites, see all emails in subfolders, and send on behalf of the boss.

My thought process:
To see all subfolders, EA needs full access. With just delegation, you'd have to manually grant access to all subfolders, and when a new subfolder is created it wouldn't appear for the EA.
To process meeting requests and not have them hit the CEO's mailbox, EA needs delegation.

Here's the issue: EA has both full access and delegate access to the mailbox and things break. Two entries for the CEO's calendar and contacts will appear in the EA's folder list. Simultaneously she'll lose access to his private contacts, even when the delegate access includes access to private items. Toggling Outlook cached mode off and back on fixes the issue for a few hours or days, but the duplicate entries reappear and she loses access to private items again.

Is there a combination of permissions that might make this actually work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

don't do anything in outlook, do all managing in the OWA.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Not really sure where to ask this but has anyone here used GAMME to migrate Exchange to GMail for work?

I want to start moving emails I know we have an absolute shitload of it, but can you run it multiple times? Like can I run it this weekend to get a good chunk over and then run it again closer to the cutover to get what's left?

Or should I be looking third party? It's under 60 mailboxes but its freaking huge. If there's a better thread to post this in I can try there.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
GAMME is a huge piece of poo poo. Use MigrationWiz if you have any money to spend. Shouldn't cost more than $20/mailbox.

Also why in the world would you purposely move to Gmail.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Fudge posted:

GAMME is a huge piece of poo poo. Use MigrationWiz if you have any money to spend. Shouldn't cost more than $20/mailbox.

Also why in the world would you purposely move to Gmail.

New management want to move us over to it and "its cheaper than O365" :suicide: .

Might be looking elsewhere for employment eventually.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

With a worldwide outage for gmail (let alone gapps) it's a solid time to move.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Google Apps is unmanageable trash and it's really really obvious that Google have already gotten bored with it.

If you just want email, and you're moving from Exchange, then https://products.office.com/en-us/exchange/compare-microsoft-exchange-online-plans

Yes technically Google Apps includes Hangouts and Drive and stuff that Exchange Online doesn't, but nobody is going to use those anyway.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Having a problem where a user is getting asked for credentials of another user (who we recently deleted from the AD) whenever outlook is open. I thought that she had her mailbox open but she doesn't so I don't know how to get rid of this.

I see this around google but not answered many times?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Check the credential manager on the computer, blow out anything with the other users domain name.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Cool, I'll give that a go tomorrow (annoying thing about this is it's a user who wants this fixed and is important in the company but only lets me touch her computer about 10 minutes a time).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

incoherent posted:

Thanks Ants posted:

Google Apps is unmanageable trash and it's really really obvious that Google have already gotten bored with it.

If you just want email, and you're moving from Exchange, then https://products.office.com/en-us/exchange/compare-microsoft-exchange-online-plans

Yes technically Google Apps includes Hangouts and Drive and stuff that Exchange Online doesn't, but nobody is going to use those anyway.

I have presented these arguments and been rebuffed every time so I'm going to let them hang themselves with their own rope. In the meantime, I need to find a migration solution and while MigrationWiz looks good, I think these cheap fuckers are going to say no.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Google Apps migration tools are loving terrible, though.

If you really wanted to let them hang themselves then you could mandate that every user has to migrate their own email with that godawful Outlook plugin.

Other than MigrationWiz there's only really Skykick, I assume they are priced almost the same as each other though.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 15, 2016

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
My company partners with both. SkyKick is 2x the price iirc.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

incoherent posted:

There was literally one yesterday, too https://twitter.com/GoogleforWork/status/776079823773044736

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Pay $1 per month extra and you get OneDrive and Skype for Business. Think that's about the same as you'd pay for Google Apps.

I'm still on the legacy Google Apps plan so I don't pay poo poo, fortunately.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Well, got approval for MigrationWiz. So that's a relief.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rick posted:

Having a problem where a user is getting asked for credentials of another user (who we recently deleted from the AD) whenever outlook is open. I thought that she had her mailbox open but she doesn't so I don't know how to get rid of this.

I see this around google but not answered many times?

If the remaining user had the departed users shared calendar open/pinned in outlook, this can also happen. Same with any shared outlook folder, but it's almost always the calendar.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

devmd01 posted:

I am planning migration of my exchange environment(s) to a new datacenter. In general I'm comfortable with the process, smtp flow is documented, etc, especially since we have nlbs for CAS. The dags however, I'm not sure how to make happen - I can't find any good documentation on adding/moving a dag member to a different site.

Exchange 2013: 3 mailbox servers in a dag, 2 in production and 1 in dr. No witness.

Exchange 2010: 2 mailbox servers in a dag. Fileshare witness.

My thought was to add the new colo IP address to the DAG, suspend the inactive member, migrate it, and once online and replication is happy, make it active and do the same to the secondary node. That's the theory, but in execution I'm a little iffy on the whole dag/cluster IP portion of it.

Has anyone done something like this?

Alternatively I could stand up two new mailbox servers in the new site, join them to the DAG, and decommission the old ones, but that's a good bit more work than just migrating the servers.

Just wanted to bump this, any ideas?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I have a client that's on Exchange 2010 and I need to do two things: move some mailboxes to O365, and set up exch 2016 on prem for hybrid. Then I need to decom 2010.

Should I do this in this order:

- Set up Exchange 2016 server
- Move everything to there
- Set up hybrid with that server
- Move stuff from there to 365 as needed

OR, should I set up hybrid with the existing 2010 server, move mailboxes directly from there, then introduce 2016 later. does it matter?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I did a Hybrid migration last year from Exchange 2010 and it was several days of throwing random errors at Google and going miles off the migration runbook that I had prepared. It looks a lot easier now, though:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2016/02/17/office-365-hybrid-configuration-wizard-for-exchange-2010/

So it shouldn't really matter what way round you do things - have a read of the different options here and see what you're more comfortable with https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dn756393.aspx

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Small question to those on who've migrated to 0365. We JUST bought a barracuda upgrade and leaning towards o365 for some, but not all users. Have you ditched your hardware, routed your email through prem, or went with something like mimcast\barracuda cloud?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We just migrated to O365 and had Mimecast for journaling, but then my boss didn't like O365's threat protection/secure mail thing so we bought Mimecast inbound/outbound filtering + secure messaging and we'll be deploying it next weekend. We had an old Tumbleweed appliance for our Exchange server for secure mail, but it was never updated and I'm glad it's dead.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I see no reason to move to Office 365 and continue to route all your inbound messaging through an appliance. The filtering and legal hold features that come with Enterprise plans seem to cover off most use cases, but you can always use something like Mimecast if that's what you use already and there's a requirement to keep everything in one place for x number of years.

The documentation I found really easy to follow in terms of getting inbound/outbound message routing, journaling and a sync with Azure AD for mailbox information.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I did a Hybrid migration last year from Exchange 2010 and it was several days of throwing random errors at Google and going miles off the migration runbook that I had prepared. It looks a lot easier now, though:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2016/02/17/office-365-hybrid-configuration-wizard-for-exchange-2010/

So it shouldn't really matter what way round you do things - have a read of the different options here and see what you're more comfortable with https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dn756393.aspx

thanks!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What's going to happen if I delete a mailbox database completely? This thing is taking up so much space that I can't even create a new database and move mailboxes off of it. What if I just delete this entire thing and reclaim all that space - will I be able to create a new database and move all of my mailboxes to it, or is that going to be mayhem?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's a little unclear what you're asking and you've always seemed like a pretty sharp guy, so stop me if I'm wrong. Are you asking if you can delete a mailbox database that currently houses mailboxes, then move them to a new database? Because, no, obviously that will not work and will cause mayhem.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Honestly I'm thinking, even since making that post, of going even more drastic. I'm thinking of starting over completely. Delete every mailbox, delete every database, and start over completely by then creating a database and creating mailboxes for users who need them.

Only consequence of this should be everyone's mailbox is now empty, right?

This Exchange server I inherited is just the worst. I've got like 30mb free on the data drive and about 30ms worth of patience left for this thing.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

So... Like nobody needs any of the email they have?

The other consequence is for the time between when you delete your mailboxes and re-create all the mailboxes, people emailing your addresses will get NDR. Maybe on spam filter side you can put a hold.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I mean I think you've posted about this before and got some responses. I don't know what industry you're in but I cannot imagine working anywhere where "missing all of my emails" for the entire company isn't a Resume Generating Event.

Off the top of my head
1 - P2V the server. If it's already Virtual, then I have to wonder why we are having this conversation.
2 - Install some new drives and migrate the mailboxes to a new drive / mailbox database, then delete (or offline compress) the old database
3 - Implement email archiving and then offline compress the old database
4 - Install some new drives and move logs to another drive

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Internet Explorer posted:

I cannot imagine working anywhere where "missing all of my emails" for the entire company isn't a Resume Generating Event.
This isn't the company's Exchange server. I manage that for 30k users and that server actually does the thing it's supposed to do. This is just some piece of garbage in a closet.

Honestly this is why I hesitate to ever talk tech around here and tend to just hang out in the general purpose threads - everyone wants to know "why" and that's suddenly the topic. The why is cause I want to.

I'm trying to basically reset the entire server as though I just installed Exchange and am working there a piece at a time. Mailboxes and database emptied but unable to delete the database so far. Will see if I can figure that out. Having fun with my server.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 19, 2016

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This isn't the company's Exchange server. I manage that for 30k users and that server actually does the thing it's supposed to do. This is just some piece of garbage in a closet.

Honestly this is why I hesitate to ever talk tech around here and tend to just hang out in the general purpose threads - everyone wants to know "why" and that's suddenly the topic. The why is cause I want to.

I'm trying to basically reset the entire server as though I just installed Exchange and am working there a piece at a time. Mailboxes and database emptied but unable to delete the database so far. Will see if I can figure that out. Having fun with my server.
What does database emptied mean? Anyway, if you've got all visible mailboxes deleted, run Get-Mailbox -database baddatabasename -Arbitration, you might have some system mailboxes there. Also could be a dumpster thing, I forget if Exchange holds onto deleted user mailboxes for a certain amount of time.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

usually because the "why" is the actually interesting part. if you manage an exchange environment for 30k users and you don't know how to uninstall exchange, uhhh

anyway, you've probably forgotten to delete the arbitration mailbox. and else powershell will tell you why you can't delete your mailbox database.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Not something you really need to be upset about. I prefaced my comment with a disclaimer because I vaguely remember the backstory and vaguely remember you not being a complete moron.

If you ask about how to do something pretty crazy, people are going to ask you why to make sure you understand the ramifications of your actions. That's true pretty much anywhere, not just online and not just in technical circles.

I mean, if you don't need the server, why not just offline/Office Space it? If you need it online for mail relay or whatever and the mailboxes are not important, delete them and shrink the database. Hopefully you can see why context is important. I don't think anyone, myself included, was being even remotely alpha-nerdy.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ironically history-posting as Clintons sysadmin.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Outlook 2013 connecting to Exchange 2013; there are some Exchange 2010 servers in the environment still hosting a few users, but those are not involved in most cases.

We've recently started getting some cases of users getting authentication prompts when starting Outlook, despite being properly logged on to the domain. The prompts are for their own mailbox. If you remove the Outlook profile and create a new one, you also get prompted for authentication during the autodiscover, that isn't supposed to happen. Having the user enter logon+password and checking the Save box does let Outlook connect and work properly, but will obviously break next time their password expires.

Any suggestions where to start diagnosing? Any logs to check, signs to look for?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
When someone is being prompted to authenticate have them check their connection status (ctrl + right click Outlook icon in system tray) to verify they're connecting to the 2013 CAS array. Also go through an auto-discover test to make sure all the right hosts are being returned.

Edit: Also check that the mailbox databases have the right service connection point (SCP), Get-MailboxDatabase | ft Name,RpcClientAccessServer

Will Styles fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 23, 2016

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm at a place where they have Symantec VERITAS Enterprise Vault. It was put in place long ago when exchange db size was a concern. However we're going to move to Office 365 so imho should just ditch EV and move it all to Online Archive. Question: what tool should I use to do this? Found TransVault online, any experiences?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I'm at a place where they have Symantec VERITAS Enterprise Vault. It was put in place long ago when exchange db size was a concern. However we're going to move to Office 365 so imho should just ditch EV and move it all to Online Archive. Question: what tool should I use to do this? Found TransVault online, any experiences?

How much data and how many users are you talking about?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You get pretty much the pick of every product if there are few enough archives that exporting them to PST isn't an unworkable step. The tools built in to Office 365 can manage that, as can MigrationWiz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I've been summoned to play 4th party moderator to a stupid interdepartmental slapfight :regd07:

I was looking over the message logs in preparation for exporting a MessageTrackingReport and noticed a bit of an oddity that surprised me. When I Sort-Object by Timestamp, sometimes things aren't lining up correctly. I see a DELIVER then SEND, almost as if the Sort Timestamp has an implied EventID behind it, other times it's ordered correctly SEND -> DELIVER

code:
Get-MessageTrackingLog -Start (Get-Date).AddDays(-3) -End (Get-Date).AddDays(1) -Sender [email]PersonA@Contoso.com[/email]
 -Recipient [email]PersonB@Contoso.com[/email] | ? {$_EventID -eq "SEND" -or $_.EventID -eq "DELIVER"} | 
Select EventID, Timestamp, MessageID | Sort Timetamp | FT -AutoSize

I could make Sort also take into account the alphabetical order of EventID by forcing it into a hashmap however that would only work in this case because I'm only concerned with SEND and DELIVER.

Sort -Property @{e=Timestamp;d=$false}, @{e=EventID;d=$true}

Is there a way to expand the Timestamp field to include fractional seconds, or at least sort by the full Timestamp? TechNet article for Get-MessageTrackingLog indicates that date-time (from the actual logs) becomes the Timestamp field and:

quote:

The UTC date-time is represented in the ISO 8601 date-time format: yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss.fffZ, where yyyy = year, mm = month, dd = day, T indicates the beginning of the time component, hh = hour, mm = minute, ss = second, fff = fractions of a second, and Z signifies Zulu, which is another way to denote UTC.

Furthermore, and this may be a stretch... Any good way to convert the UTC timestamps to the localized time, or better yet, the server time? All the timestamps are in GMT, but doing the mental timezone math may cause issues for the people looking at the information.