Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Noghri_ViR posted:

So I got a request to allow out of office messages to be sent to people outside of our domain. What are peoples thoughts on this? I know at one time there was all those urban legend warnings going around about people being robbed due to OOO message and I guess concerns about spam finding a real address but what does everyone else do?

I've never heard a legitimate objection to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

For 2010 & 2013, is there any compelling reason to look beyond the native archiving stuff?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

indigoe posted:

I'm migrating from a cPanel based email server (exim/courier) to O365 and I've been scratching my head about something that should be really simple. I have a bunch of email addresses (like support, payments, legal etc) that forward to different salesforce endpoints. Some of them also forward to particular managers that don't use salesforce.

It seems to me the only way to achieve this, is to create a mail contact for each salesforce endpoint, then set up distribution groups for each address I need. And if a manager needs to be included, I can add them to the distribution group. My main issue with this besides it being a little convoluted is that the mail contacts I created for this will show up in the company address book that everyone can access. I know I can hide mail boxes and shared mail boxes from the address book, but it does not seem to be the case for mail contacts.

There is this page in the documentation but it doesn't seem to apply to my use case.

Am I going about this the wrong way, is there a better way?

You can hide contacts in the GAL via powershell, but I don't believe through the admin interface:

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/53135-how-to-hide-external-contacts-from-office-365-global-address-list

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Gozinbulx posted:

Hey guys, im pretty much ready to throw my exchange server into the ocean. Way too many problems and so many vital business communications not reaching people in time/at all. I need something hosted/cloud/set it forget it.

What do you guys recommend for someone who wants to be done with managing their own mail system, but keep their domain name at the end of the address?

For a business? Honestly Office 365 isn't so bad (it does randomly die from time to time) as its pretty seamless for people coming from Exchange.

Google Apps is a bit more reliable, but there seems a higher chance of people getting cranky if they've used Exchange/Outlook for a bazillion years and don't want to learn anything new.

There's a bunch of other hosted exchange providers, but honestly Office 365 is getting cheap enough that I'd be hard pressed to look at anything else.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

rotaryfun posted:

We have a newly updated 2013 environment with a DAG in place between two locations, with < 180 employees. At what point does it become just a smart decision to move to office 365?

I think that's generally more of a organization by organization question. Some organization are fine spending a big chunk of capital every 3-4 years and riding that, while some would rather move that all to operating budgets. Not saying you can't do Office 365 with either model, but if you just spent a ton of $$$ updating your on-prem environment it may be hard politically to get the approval for Office 365 subscriptions.

On the other hand, if you're looking at rolling out Lync or Sharepoint, or it's time to resign that EA or renew software assurance licenses, it may be an easy thing to push.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Swink posted:

I am, using exactly that method linked. I'm not sure that it actually prevents a user from entering their password details into the app (and in turn having those details sent to the 3rd party server) it only blocks the sync being made on the server side.

Does anyone care about this? My boss does, which is why I've done it.

Yeah, I don't really get the brou-ha-ha about the Outlook app. A remote wipe does appear to disconnect the user and wipe the accounts data from the app as far as I can tell. I don't care as much about the 3rd party server aspect, the vast majority of our Android users are using some 3rd party ActiveSync client to connect to our servers, and god only knows how well they're being audited.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

We've got a customer who has an existing Office 365 tenant and 2 completely separate AD forests they want to sync to that org.

Each of those forests has it's own Exchange 2010 on-prem organization, and there's some users that exist in both forests as far as I can tell. The Office 365 tenant already has users in it, where the username may or may not match between the Office 365 tenant and the various AD forests.

How much am I going to want to kill myself on cleaning this mess up and getting everything syncing properly with AADSync? Also looks like we need to move to Exchange 2013 if we want to do hybrid?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

mayodreams posted:

This tool is amazing.

http://www.codetwo.com/office-365-migration/

I used it to migrate from an on prem 2003 server to my O365 tenancy DirSync'd to a different domain without issue. It will also remove the legacy DN crap that caused me a LOT of heartache with the majority of users from that environment that went directly to O365 via Microsoft's tools.

While the MS tools work, I strongly suggest you use a migration tool that will do the clean up for you.

Did you put them as your partner of record or fork over the bucks?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

mayodreams posted:

Bucks. You can't have a partner of record when you have an EA.

Yeah I don't quite understand how they are making much as partner of record, it pays jack.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

incoherent posted:

Pop the bottles, exchange 2013 SP2 was released.

And by that I assume you mean Exchange 2016?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

carlcarlson posted:

This is what terrifies me about hosted Exchange. Is O365 the least terrifying option now?

Microsoft certainly has the most to lose in terms of the PR shitstorm that comes from losing someone's data. O365 certainly does have it's share of service interruptions, but I haven't heard any large scale horror stories of "MICROSOFT LOST ALL MY EMAIL", particularly compared to random 3rd party hoster.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

As an MSP, I was doing cost projections on our on-prem Exchange costs vs O365 I generally started to see on-prem exchange costs get cheaper than Office 365 around 50-75 users depending on the complexity of environments, which products were needed, etc, but there's a lot of variables there to consider.

Most people reselling Office 365 these days are doing things via the Cloud Service Provider program, which does make the MSP responsible for all user support, but considering how bad the basic Office 365 support 1st line is that may not be a bad thing.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 2, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I have a stupid question that I may have asked before, and may have even dealt with in the past, but I can't remember so here it is.

Did a cutover from exch on prem to exch online. Still have on-prem AD. I now need to decom the exchange server and to do that I need to delete all the mailboxes that are on there.

What's the correct way to do this - do I just do a disable-mailbox on everything (which would keep AD account intact)?

What's the cheater way to do this - just shut it down and remove reference from the adsiedit stuff?

Just a heads up, depending on your config, the official Microsoft recommendation is to still maintain an on site server to manage the Exchange attributes in AD:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vilath/2015/05/25/office-365-and-dirsync-why-should-you-have-at-least-one-exchange-server-on-premises/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

SeaborneClink posted:

I ended up logging into the primary ASA (5505) and ended up setting
code:
no inspect esmtp
in the policy-map inspection_default, reload and the queue started to magically clear.

Executing this change resolved the issue in both environments, but there was just no method to the madness as to why this just suddenly decided to break or why only two of 8 envs (with EOP, on-prem exchange & an ASA) were affected, other than some gradual Microsoft related change in EOP.

I feel like ASA/PIX inspects/fixups loving things up has been a constant for the last 15 years I've been working in IT.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 11, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

anthonypants posted:

We get by without an on-prem Exchange server, there are some Exchange attributes you can change from ADUC, like msExchHideFromAddressLists. The AD schema might not be extended to include those attributes if you've never had an Exchange server in your environment at all, though.

This is officially a non supported configuration per Microsoft. They don't want you manually editing those Exchange attributes. I've never seen them actually enforce that and they are aware that it's dumb, but here we are.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

devmd01 posted:

So what are my next steps to get rid of our remaining on-prem exchange environment, without blowing up any existing exchange attributes? How does management work after you no longer have an exchange server on-prem?

If you’re syncing data with AADConnect you’re technically not supported without an on-prem exchange server, but that is supposedly going away in the next 3-4 months.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I'm curious how people's experiences with OWA/activesync redirection in Exchange hybrid have been.

Outlook is great about dealing with changes, but it seems like it's the mobile clients responsibility to deal with activesync redirection and most of them seem pretty bad at it from the migrations I've done, to the point where it's generally better to just remove/readd the account. OWA redirection also seems to take a bit to notice that the mailbox has moved.

Is that in line with other people's experiences?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hopefully this is the push required to get rid of the on-Prem server requirement for hybrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

In the olden days I've seen companies using Windows Logon Hours to control that but I haven't seen a cloud version of that.

I suppose you could probably do something crazy with Azure AD Connect and pass through authentication but that kind of makes me shudder and the long auth times for things like activesync would probably get around it.