Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

"Here, hold my Annihilus."

Only in the context of actual Fantastic Four comics pages can that be anything but sexual innuendo. I need to read this and find out why Johnny has a pet Annihilus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's explained in Fantastic Four 600 if you're looking for an exact issue.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

"Here, hold my Annihilus."

Only in the context of actual Fantastic Four comics pages can that be anything but sexual innuendo. I need to read this and find out why Johnny has a pet Annihilus.

Johnny also has his own Annihilation Wave.

You should really just read all of Hickman's Fantastic Four/Future Foundation run as its been very good. He even manages to pull off a "death and return" scenario without copping out and making the death scene meaningless in retrospect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

muscles like this? posted:

Johnny also has his own Annihilation Wave.

You should really just read all of Hickman's Fantastic Four/Future Foundation run as its been very good. He even manages to pull off a "death and return" scenario without copping out and making the death scene meaningless in retrospect.

Well, there was no death scene, so that's easy. Everyone just assumed he died, which in comics is always an incorrect assumption unless you see a bloodied corpse (and even then).

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Lurdiak posted:

Well, there was no death scene, so that's easy. Everyone just assumed he died, which in comics is always an incorrect assumption unless you see a bloodied corpse (and even then).

He did die, though. This is stated explicitly multiple times.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lurdiak posted:

He died, Annihilus revived him, and then it happened again like a million times or whatever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Hickman's run over yet, and if so what issues of what series' are part of it? I loved what I read of it a lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bown posted:

Is Hickman's run over yet, and if so what issues of what series' are part of it? I loved what I read of it a lot.
Nope, still going.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bown posted:

It starts at Fantastic Four 570 (although technically he did the Dark Reign Fantastic Four mini first) runs through 588 where the series ends. Its replaced by Future Foundation until issue 11 and then back to Fantastic Four name and numbering with issue 600. Future Foundation is now its own spin off series starting with issue 12.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

muscles like this? posted:

It starts at Fantastic Four 570 (although technically he did the Dark Reign Fantastic Four mini first) runs through 588 where the series ends. Its replaced by Future Foundation until issue 11 and then back to Fantastic Four name and numbering with issue 600. Future Foundation is now its own spin off series starting with issue 12.

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four #1-5
Fantastic Four #570-588
FF #1-11
Fantastic Four #600
FF #12
Fantastic Four #601
FF #13

and etc. switching back and forth for now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So Rick Remender's Venom is an amazing comic that completely shatters the idea that there's such a thing as a "bad character", rather than a character that's been handled by awful writers. What I'm about to post is kind of spoiler-y, because I really feel the panels need context, so be warned.

Much of the series is a parable about alcoholism and addiction, with the symbiote standing in place of booze. Even though Flash Thompson's intent in becoming the new government-approved Venom was pure, the secret missions and the influence of the suit cause him to lie to and push away his loved ones more and more. The suit also affects his judgement and causes him to give in to rage rather often, doing some hosed up violent things, which fills him with guilt. Couple that with the fact that the suit is becoming addictive and that he's currently being blackmailed by a super-villain, and Flash's life is spiraling rapidly out of control and heading somewhere bad.

A major subplot has been concerning Flash's father. He's a serious alcoholic who would turn violent and beat Flash as a child when he got drunk, and generally abused and debased him. It's strongly implied that the rage and hate Flash manifests as Venom is simply repressed feelings from this abuse being brought to the surface by the symbiote. When Flash came back from Mosul as a war hero with his legs blown off, his dad showed up at the welcome back party with his one-year sober chip, ready to reconcile with his son. Flash warily welcomed him back in his life, sympathetic since he'd had a dark period of alcoholism himself.

In the midst of his life falling apart due to being Venom, Flash gets a call from his mother that his dad's gotten drunk and gone missing again, and his mother is beside herself with worry. Flash angrily dismisses the situation as not his problem, since he swore to himself that he was never going to let his father's drunkenness ruin his life again, and that at the first relapse he'd cut ties with him again. Thanks to some prodding by his good buddy Peter Parker and his girflriend Betty, Flash does go looking for his dad in every dive bar in town, eventually finding him in the drunk tank. His dad is completely pathetic and hostile and even takes a swing at him. Flash dodges and barely restrains himself from breaking his dad's face, but his father still collapses in pain.

Turns out his dad's been diagnosed with terminal liver cancer, and he wanted to spend his last few days drunk. Flash is disgusted at how selfish and callous that decision is and angrily leaves his apologetic father lying on the hospital bed. He spends the next days burying himself in his Venom work, fuming about all the ways his father's let him down and how much he hates him, how much he doesn't deserve a happy ending, etc. Betty keeps calling him and he keeps brushing her off. It's strongly implied the symbiote is reinforcing those negative emotions the whole time.

After an encounter with Anti-Venom, who preaches to Flash about just how insidious the suit is, Flash realizes just what his life's turned into and rejects the suit. Even though he puts it back on seconds later because he needs it to complete a mission to save the city, the symbolic rejection of the suit and all the dark emotions that come with it seem to give Flash a moment of clarity. Here's what he does with it.

This next scene isn't quite as powerful, but when Flash rejects the symbiote, it latches onto the weakened Anti-Venom, aka Eddie Brock, its favorite host. Eddie's life was loving destroyed by the suit, it turned him into a serial killer and defined his life even years after getting rid of it, and the highly religious Eddie considers being Anti-Venom a chance at atonement granted by God. He hates and fears the symbiote more than anything else in the world, and knowing that made this page incredibly harsh for me:

Look at how loving terrified the poor guy is. :(

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's amazing. Is this in trade yet? I might have found a nice stocking stuffer for myself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Maybe? That sure looks like and is priced like a hardcover, but it also looks like it says it only has the first issue in it? I could be reading that wrong.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe? That sure looks like and is priced like a hardcover, but it also looks like it says it only has the first issue in it? I could be reading that wrong.

Here it is on amazon and says its issues 1-4 http://www.amazon.com/Venom-Rick-Remender-1/dp/0785158111/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324770648&sr=8-1
Also looks like issues are also going to be in spider-island

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 25, 2011

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm surprised no one posted anything Daredevil #7 yet.

Setup: Daredevil takes kids from a school for the blind for an annual trip. However, this year, things get complicated as the school bus crashes and he is left out in the countryside with eight 9 year olds, with snow falling and temperatures dropping close to zero. The countryside plays havoc with his senses so he's pretty much blind, also he's badly injured. The kids are exhausted enough to start dropping off and collapsing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

In the Funny Panels Thread, prefect posted:

Go over to the inspiring/touching panels thread and post the parts where Loki decides to keep the dog. I almost teared up a little bit. :3:

By popular request then, here's Journey Into Mystery #632. It's a very funny issue where Loki has to get rid of seven little hellhounds that he accidentally caused the birth of. Loki passes off six of them on various Asgardians and humans (and one to Mephisto), but no one wants number seven (he spits fire, calls people bastards, and bites a lot). So he consults the All-Mothers on what to do.

But Journey Into Mystery is Loki's book, and it's pretty much all about Loki trying to do good while everyone hates him because they believe Loki to be inherently bad. He refuses to believe that "some creatures are just bad".

"The best of all the dogs" just makes me all warm and fuzzy :3:.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Here's a link to my favorite comic book song

You can get their whole album for free right here! It's pretty good!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Speaking of comic-themed music, I kind of like this band's songs (for obvious reasons):
http://corporaterecords.co.uk/artists/Spoiler+Alert!/Spoiler+Alert!+E.P/

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Shageletic posted:

Oh wow. That silent last panel is perfect.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Gavok posted:

From Planetary/Batman: Night on Earth. A man named John Black was tortured and experimented on by the main villains of Planetary (an evil version of the Fantastic Four) along with his parents. His parents were murdered, he escaped and is now mentally messed up. He keeps freaking out, which has caused him to murder a couple people and each time it sets off a power where reality shifts around him.

The Planetary guys track him down to their world's Gotham City, which has no Batman whatsoever. Black's powers cause them to end up in various other Gothams of the multiverse and they end up contending against Batman, who keeps changing incarnations (ie. Frank Miller Batman, Adam West Batman, Neal Adams Batman, etc). Batman wants Black to pay for his crimes while the Planetary guys feel that Black isn't responsible for his actions. The first half of the book is Ellis taking the piss out of Batman. Elijah and the rest believe Batman to be some kind of weirdo cop with a fetish and treat him like a joke.

Elijah Snow tries to get through to Batman and even brings up that Black's parents were killed for sympathy, but it doesn't do much to stop him. He turns into the original Bob Kane Purple Kitchen Gloves Batman and puts a gun to Black's head, claiming that crime must never, ever pay. Then Drummer, whose powers involve understanding information, says that there's information surrounding them that's connected to Batman. Something major happened in this alley involving him. He makes everyone see.

I always saw this as the Batman counterpart to Superman and the suicide jumper.
I know it's way too late to respond to this post but I'll do it anyway since this is one of my favourite issues. Hell, the speech Batman gives Black always get to me.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Something that never struck me until just now: Is the John Black character supposed to be the Planetary universe Bruce Wayne? Not just a 'similar' character, but really that universe's Bruce Wayne, just by another name, the same way we have a Joker and Dick Grayson appear.

The pair of characters have similar histories, very similar looks, the centering of the story around Crime Alley might not have been a coincidence, and even his name itself could be construed as a Bruce Wayne/Dark Knight nod (John as in 'Wayne', Black as in 'Dark'.)

It's not just characters meeting different versions of Batman, it's also about a perfect Batman intervening on a broken Bruce Wayne.

Or maybe I'm looking too much into it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm sure they're supposed to be similar, but I can't see him as being Bruce Wayne's cosmic counterpart. If he was, he would have turned into Batman during the reality shifts.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Yeah, I think kind of a major thing was that there wasn't a Planetary version of Wayne/Batman. That's why that last form Bruce turned into as the reality shift hit it's peak was essentially Planetary Batman-- to show us "this is what he'd look like, and who he'd be, if there was one". And then he vanished.

Black was just some poor sod.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
That really was an amazing issue. Different parts of it have been in the bad-rear end, funny and uplifting threads.

Has Warren Ellis written anything close to this lately or has he gone full bore into Ennis & Millar gross out and meme territory?

At this point I'd settle for something that's retarded but owns it like Nextwave.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Freakangels is pretty good, but Planetary is his crowning achievement and will be difficult to top.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

His Secret Avengers run is pretty good on average, but there's two amazing issues in there. The Black Widow time travel one was one of my favorite single issues from last year.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I know he had a bunch of stuff with Avatar, I think I read a few issues of Black Summer. Was Doktor Sleepless any good?

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
It's a few years old, and way more "badass" than "touching and inspiring", but I've always been partial to Ellis' No Hero.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shageletic posted:

I'm surprised no one posted anything Daredevil #7 yet.

Setup: Daredevil takes kids from a school for the blind for an annual trip. However, this year, things get complicated as the school bus crashes and he is left out in the countryside with eight 9 year olds, with snow falling and temperatures dropping close to zero. The countryside plays havoc with his senses so he's pretty much blind, also he's badly injured. The kids are exhausted enough to start dropping off and collapsing.

This current Daredevil run has been amazing at humanizing him and showing the he's not just a dude with good senses but is a blind man who happens to have honed his other senses. Putting him out of the city and into the wild was an amazing way to show how no matter how good he trains himself he's still that blind guy terrified about what was out in front of him. That issue most of all was a work of brilliance with the use of silence and the writing for the children, and yea that last panel pretty much summed the entire point of this arc up perfectly.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

His Secret Avengers run is pretty good on average, but there's two amazing issues in there. The Black Widow time travel one was one of my favorite single issues from last year.
Exactly what I wanted to say--Loved that issue.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dacap posted:

I know he had a bunch of stuff with Avatar, I think I read a few issues of Black Summer. Was Doktor Sleepless any good?
The first volume was pretty good, but it ends on a note where I'm not quite sure where it's going and remembering what wildly unexpected direction No Hero went in, even though I liked No Hero, that makes me kind of uneasy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Don't bother with anything from Avatar. Anything he did finish he only paid half attention to, and Doktor Sleepless, his flagship with the company, is DOA without any further resolution of the plot.

edit: I take that back, pick up Crecy, it's really good, and a Graphic novel instrad of a serial.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 5, 2012

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Doktor Sleepless, his flagship with the company, is DOA without any further resolution of the plot.

He said he's hoping to finish it sometime this year:
http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=13594

Not holding my breath. He seems uninterested in comics at the moment.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Crossposting from the Funny Panels thread.

Dr. Hurt posted:

BPRD: Universal Machine 4
Although not particularly funny in context, I thought Hellboy's calm reaction to Daryl is just brilliantly deadpan.

choobs posted:

In context however, it's one of the most existentially terrifying moments in a series full of them.

The story of Daryl is really touching and sad. Just a poor sap who gets randomly hosed with by the world.

BPRD The Universal Machine #4

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

Dr. Hurt posted:

Crossposting from the Funny Panels thread.

The story of Daryl is really touching and sad. Just a poor sap who gets randomly hosed with by the world.

BPRD The Universal Machine #4

That was really depressing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They could just let him kill some mass murderer on death row.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Rhyno posted:

They could just let him kill some mass murderer on death row.

I'm not quite certain giving a mass murderer an immortal body is such a good idea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm not quite certain giving a mass murderer an immortal body is such a good idea.

Fine, let him kill some terminal cancer patient.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Rhyno posted:

Fine, let him kill some terminal cancer patient.

And that would solve the problem of an innocent soul being trapped in, and essentially digested by, the wendigo how? That's what's so horrible about the story: there really is no solution to the problem.

Quick, someone find something inspiring!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

And that would solve the problem of an innocent soul being trapped in, and essentially digested by, the wendigo how? That's what's so horrible about the story: there really is no solution to the problem.

Quick, someone find something inspiring!

Here you go!

Oh... wait... no... :smith:

(Spectacular Spider-man 181)