Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

FredMSloniker posted:

Quick, someone find something inspiring!

From Avengers Academy #25. The current story is that future versions of the team are trying to make sure their future still happens by switching the mind of present Reptil with the mind of future Reptil so he can manipulate history to his liking. That includes allowing the alien Hybrid to annihilate the school and kill most of the students.

We also see that in the future, Reptil had a daughter with Finesse. Finesse, from all indications, is the daughter of Taskmaster and he once warned her of the memory problems that come with the abilities. Almost every time Finesse sees her daughter, she at first doesn't recognize her until her unique physical movements jog her memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gavok posted:

From Avengers Academy #25.
Touching, but... couldn't they just adopt? :psyduck: Was having superpowers important for the child's survival or something?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Colon V posted:

Touching, but... couldn't they just adopt? :psyduck: Was having superpowers important for the child's survival or something?

Have you seen any of the possible marvel futures?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cuchulain posted:

Have you seen any of the possible marvel futures?
Yeah, plenty. And B and C-list characters like that drop like flies regardless of how many hypothetical scouters they explode with their power levels. The only way you can survive in a comic universe is to be popular. It's not that being unpowered hurts their chances, it's that being powered doesn't help.

bobkatt013 posted:

Unless I am misunderstanding you it would not matter even if she adopted a kid, she would still forget them. It is a side effect of her power.
OH. I misread. I thought she was worried her daughter would have memory problems. My bad.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 6, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Colon V posted:

Unless I am misunderstanding you it would not matter even if she adopted a kid, she would still forget them. It is a side effect of her power.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lurdiak posted:

Here you go!

Oh... wait... no... :smith:

(Spectacular Spider-man 181)

And about 8 months later, they came back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Colon V posted:

Yeah, plenty. And B and C-list characters like that drop like flies regardless of how many hypothetical scouters they explode with their power levels. The only way you can survive in a comic universe is to be popular. It's not that being unpowered hurts their chances, it's that being powered doesn't help.

OH. I misread. I thought she was worried her daughter would have memory problems. My bad.

Well, there's about even odds of that or her being part dinosaur, but yes, the main issue is Finesse having the same memory problems as her father. At least her kid has distinct enough mannerisms that she can recognise her eventually. Taskmaster can't do that with Finesse because all of her movements are someone else's. He looks at her and sees Iron Fist or Captain America or Tigra.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Colon V posted:

Unless you are in New X-men. If you are unpowered then you might get blown up in a bus.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Colon V posted:

You misunderstood. Finesse is Taskmaster's daughter and, like him, she developed serious problems with her memory. Think Alzheimer's.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 8, 2012

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
A little moment that I love from New Frontier #5. The villain has finally been revealed, and I don't want to spoil anything, but this is a serious, end of the world level threat. Barry Allen had stopped being the Flash after government agents tried to capture him, but he knows when he's needed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Colon V posted:

Yeah, plenty. And B and C-list characters like that drop like flies regardless of how many hypothetical scouters they explode with their power levels. The only way you can survive in a comic universe is to be popular.

Not necessarily. I mean they brought back KGBeast.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

With Flash Thompson literally and figuratively going through hell and confronting his demons over in the Venom series, I think it's worth exploring the woman that came before his current and often on-and-off girlfriend, Betty Brant. Sha Shan was from late in the Lee-Ditko era and was introduced after Flash got back from Vietnam. They were written out of the book for a while and even lived together before Flash started dating Betty Brant while she was still married to Ned Leeds.

And at some point, probably through Peter Parker, Sha Shan finds out that Flash is cheating on her. And eventually, she tells him she knows.

Ironically, Flash is convinced that Sha Shan is loving Peter because he saw them talking in a diner, but it was only because she was talking to him about Flash.

So here is one of Flash's darker moments, though throughout his 40+ years of published history, there sure are a lot of them:

Source: Amazing Spider-Man 275.

Bonus picture: In ASM 276, Sha-Shan's captured by the Hobgoblin and is recovering form the hospital. Flash knows she's already packed up all of her stuff and moved out before she was kidnapped. And he, out of the kindness of his heart, visits her at the hospital:

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 22, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Was this all done during his drinking days or was this after he sobered up?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Was this all done during his drinking days or was this after he sobered up?

Neither. His alcoholism (if I remember correctly) wasn't part of his character until shortly before the Clone Saga kicked into high gear.

It's important to remember that this is the Hobgoblin Mystery era. There are three REAL suspects of who is actually the Hobgoblin, and they all get clues or red herrings meant to throw off the reader...depending on who you ask. Ned Leeds, Flash Thompson, and Lance Bannon. Turns out none of them are the Hobgoblin, but they're the real big suspects at the time.

EDIT: Spider-Man Redemption #1: Peter, MJ, and the respective supporting cast are being written out as Ben Reilly takes over as Spider-Man. Ben runs into Flash at a bar. Remember, Ben pretty much only knows Flash as a bully and an all-star quarterback, and doesn't have the experience of being good friends like Peter did with Flash:

It's not exactly Flash in full fledged alcoholism, but it's interesting DeMattis chooses to have Flash at a bar rather than a diner or coffee shop.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 22, 2012

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I sometimes wonder if the mountains of poo poo that get heaped on Flash isn't writers symbolically getting back at their own high school bullies. I hope not.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I sometimes wonder if the mountains of poo poo that get heaped on Flash isn't writers symbolically getting back at their own high school bullies. I hope not.

Yet now he is an avenger.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Some of our bullies succeeded?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Didn't know whether to put this in here or the Badass thread, since it's a little bit of both. To summarize the best I can, Secret Avengers #23: A crew of Adaptoids kidnapped two random metahumans (a mother and son) and kicked the Avengers' asses, but Ant-Man caught a ride on their pants. When they were going to kill the mother, O'Grady springs into action that is way over his head. The mom dies and O'Grady takes an explosive arrow to the head while escaping with the kid. "Escape" doesn't really work though, since he's in an underground city full of adaptoids without backup.

At this point, he sees Beast and Hawkeye landing (since the other Avengers found the teleporter into the city, but they don't hear his shouts for help. The adaptoids chasing him do.

e: VVV Well, they're never said to be mutants, so I didn't really know what else to go with. Super-powered individuals? I thought metahuman was still the vernacular for the big two, or did I miss a press memo?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 23, 2012

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TwoPair posted:

metahumans

Are people still using this word? I thought we were past that.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!

Lurdiak posted:

Are people still using this word? I thought we were past that.

Beg pardon? Is there a better word?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jefepato posted:

Beg pardon? Is there a better word?

Answered in derailed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Didn't know whether to put this in here or the Badass thread, since it's a little bit of both. To summarize the best I can, Secret Avengers #23: A crew of Adaptoids kidnapped two random metahumans (a mother and son) and kicked the Avengers' asses, but Ant-Man caught a ride on their pants. When they were going to kill the mother, O'Grady springs into action that is way over his head. The mom dies and O'Grady takes an explosive arrow to the head while escaping with the kid. "Escape" doesn't really work though, since he's in an underground city full of adaptoids without backup.

At this point, he sees Beast and Hawkeye landing (since the other Avengers found the teleporter into the city, but they don't hear his shouts for help. The adaptoids chasing him do.

I am going to miss that rear end in a top hat

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

bobkatt013 posted:

I am going to miss that rear end in a top hat

Marvel loves to kill off the Ant Men, don't they?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Boofchicken posted:

Marvel loves to kill off the Ant Men, don't they?

O'Grady is too much of a personality for the writers not to shoe him into some "pym particle resurrection" angle somewhere down the road

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Most people in Parker's life get mountains of poo poo heaped on them. He's dating Betty Brant, who's had both her brother and husband murdered, the latter of which was brainwashed and alleged to be a psychopathic supervillain.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Star Wars Tales #6. During Empire Strikes Back, one of the empire lieutenants brings the disassembled remains of C3PO to Vader, suggesting that there might be some vital information within him. Vader briefly holds C3PO's head in his hands and flashes back to being a kid and discovering pieces of him in a junkyard. He tells his lieutenant to have the droid destroyed and leaves. Sometime after, the lieutenant gets word about Chewbacca trying to get C3PO back.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's really difficult for me to enjoy that admittedly well written touching moment of glimpsing Vader's humanity when it flashes back to the setting of the movie that destroyed everything cool about his character.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

It's really difficult for me to enjoy that admittedly well written touching moment of glimpsing Vader's humanity when it flashes back to the setting of the movie that destroyed everything cool about his character.

Personally, I think it speaks more to the dedication and talent of the writer that he was able to wring out a great moment out of a series of bad plot decisions without necessarily invalidating them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Secret Warriors #10 diverts completely from the book's normal story of following Fury and - well, the Secret Warriors - to tell Phobos's backstory. To make a long story short, he was tricked into killing Ares, and that's kind of how he got his god powers. But after Ares resurrects (as gods are wont to do), they just spend time as father and son:

The rest of the issue deals with Ares taking Phobos to a big inter-pantheon meeting to decide whether he gets to be a full-fledged god or whether they're going to off him. They let him pass, and Phobos goes back to working for Fury, which by the way, Ares hates (which is fine since Phobos doesn't like Ares working for the Dark Avengers). But eventually, Ares dies during Siege, and soon after, Phobos is killed by the Gorgon while the rest of the Warriors escape the crumbling mountain base of HYDRA. The whole thing closes with this sweet scene:

These are from Secret Warriors #22

That little scene just makes me tear up after Ares was such a hardass in pretty much every other scene he was featured in.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If you like that, you should read the Ares mini-series it's paying homage to. It's pretty much entirely about how fatherhood changes a man, and a really good epic (in the traditional sense) in its own right, and has a similarly touching ending.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Gavok posted:

Star Wars Tales #6. During Empire Strikes Back, one of the empire lieutenants brings the disassembled remains of C3PO to Vader, suggesting that there might be some vital information within him. Vader briefly holds C3PO's head in his hands and flashes back to being a kid and discovering pieces of him in a junkyard. He tells his lieutenant to have the droid destroyed and leaves. Sometime after, the lieutenant gets word about Chewbacca trying to get C3PO back.

If someone had told me right after I first watched The Phantom Menace that someone would have made a touching moment out of one of the dumbest parts of that awful drat movie, I would have punched them in the face. Well done... *goes to comicbookdb.com* Ryder T. Windham. Well done.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
From Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Annual #1, if I recall correctly.
Linked for length: http://i.imgur.com/UVuKI.jpg

Peter David, the writer of the script actually made some remarks about this story:

Peter David posted:

Ah, "Leah." I remember it all too well. I had a dear friend named Leah, and the previous day I had visited her in the hospital on her deathbed (she had to be at least ten years younger than me, in case you're wondering). She wasn't conscious; but when I left, I kissed her on the cheek and in her sleep she put her hand to where my lips at touched her face. On the way home, I got a call from an editor that they had a six page gap in a Spidey annual, I think it was, and they asked if I could have them a script by tomorrow. I said sure and went to bed with absolutely no clue what I would write. I woke up in the middle of the night with the story fully formed in my head. I went downstairs, wrote it, sent it off, and went back to bed. I later found out that Leah had died right around the time that I woke up. I always considered it her final gift to me. Anyway, that's where that story came from. Colleen Doran really knocked it out of the park, I thought.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Nahxela posted:

Peter David, the writer of the script actually made some remarks about this story:

Where I work, a couple middle-aged women came in once asking where we had the comics. They were looking for the latest Spider-Man. Specifically, that annual. Once I helped them find it, they explained that they were friends with Leah and they knew that this story was based on her passing. Watching them flip through the issue and reacting to it was incredibly overpowering :(

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Nahxela posted:

gently caress you, man.

No, I'm not crying. I just got somethin' in my eye, that's all.

Seriously, though, that's such a sweet story. Both the comic, and the writer's background.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Gavok posted:

Where I work, a couple middle-aged women came in once asking where we had the comics. They were looking for the latest Spider-Man. Specifically, that annual. Once I helped them find it, they explained that they were friends with Leah and they knew that this story was based on her passing. Watching them flip through the issue and reacting to it was incredibly overpowering :(

Man that is a nice story :unsmith:
These are the things that make me like this thread.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, I've seen that story before, but never knew the backstory behind it until now. That is painfully sad/sweet.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Oh, I also think this article is definitely worth sharing in this thread:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/rosenwald-md/post/who-is-the-route-29-batman-this-guy/2012/03/28/gIQA8nPjgS_blog.html

Not a panel, but tangentially related and pretty heartwarming.
(I live in the area he lives in!)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

TwoPair posted:

Snip

Snip

e: VVV Well, they're never said to be mutants, so I didn't really know what else to go with. Super-powered individuals? I thought metahuman was still the vernacular for the big two, or did I miss a press memo?

Did the kid actually get away? I find myself immediately wondering if a child that size can get very far without help. Making me wonder if he died in vain after all :ohdear:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
As of #24 the kid made it to Black Widow and Valkyrie, but they're all still on the run trapped inside a city of killer adaptoids with no idea how to get out. Although, very unexpectedly, Ant-Man showed up on the last page, so he might not have died at all... but it's way too fishy and I suspect it's a robot.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The entirety of Batman and Robin #8 is something for this thread, but these pages are the gist of it. The lead-up is that they dealt with Nobody, the son of Ducard, who trained along with Bruce years ago. He betrayed Bruce and that led to the closest Bruce ever came to actually murdering someone. Nobody took in Damian as a protege to help him go all Punisher on the underworld. Bruce discovered that Damian was more mentally damaged than he thought, such as finding a sketchpad filled with drawings of all of his rogues being horribly murdered.

Damian eventually turned on Nobody and got the absolute poo poo beaten out of him until Batman came in and took down Nobody. Before passing out, Damian murdered Nobody.

Batman collapsed a little bit later and Alfred put both of them under house arrest until their injuries healed. Bruce gave Damian a recording he made earlier in the story about his history with the Ducards.