Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

The comic would go on for eight more issues as just Deadpool teaming up with people, but this is honestly the real finale.

While you're not wrong, the final pages of the last issue is a really good conclusion to Deadpool's arc. This series is probably what took him from merc to hero the most effectively, even if Daniel Way felt the need to turn him back into a merc almost immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, even as a longtime Deadpool fan going in Cable and Deadpool is the book that finally convinced me that Deadpool could actually fit into the Marvel Universe in a meaningful way and not just be a weird fringe character. Daniel Way pretty much ignored all that, but thankfully we've course corrected now. I think Duggan and Posehn's run has supplanted it as my favorite for the character but Nicieza really did something special with that book. Plus it's the book that completely turned me around on Cable as a character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oddly enough the very brief run of Cable by David Tischman is what made me a fan. I really liked the idea that he'd finally defeated the TO virus and would have full access to his abilities for the first time in his life.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Duggan/Posehn run is so incredibly, impossibly good. It's the Daredevil: Born Again of Deadpool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No, that's the Kelly run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

No, that's the Kelly run.

I disagree, the Kelly run is good but the finale is a huge clusterfuck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I disagree about the finale, but I wasn't saying the Kelly run is better than the Posehn/Duggan run, just that it's the more obvious parallel to Born Again in terms of being classic and defining. Born Again isn't even my favorite Daredevil story, but it's obviously more important than Brubaker's run.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I disagree about the finale, but I wasn't saying the Kelly run is better than the Posehn/Duggan run, just that it's the more obvious parallel to Born Again in terms of being classic and defining. Born Again isn't even my favorite Daredevil story, but it's obviously more important than Brubaker's run.

I think that's fair.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

ImpAtom posted:

It is always bewildering to me that someone took the ideal of Cable and Deadpool and made it work.

I've always said it was "The Odd Couple" in the Marvel Universe, and thankfully, Fabian Nicieza realized that included the part about how, even though they piss each other off, Felix and Oscar really do respect, care for, and need one another.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
From today's Red Hood/Arsenal #9

Is very touching the way Roy and Jason both have decided to support Duela. Jason specially since is one of those rare occassions where he has shown concern for someone outside the Batfamily or Roy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Why didn't they rescue the other person taking a lava bath?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How is she okay after being that close to lava

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

AnonSpore posted:

How is she okay after being that close to lava

I think there is literally only one comic that actually had somebody catch on fire from convection.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
"the easy way out" == boiled alive in hot bubbly magma

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It'd take all of three seconds.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

From today's Red Hood/Arsenal #9

Is very touching the way Roy and Jason both have decided to support Duela. Jason specially since is one of those rare occassions where he has shown concern for someone outside the Batfamily or Roy.

Why do artists insist on giving Red Hood's mask lips? Has it ever looked not terrible?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Actually thinking about my comment re: convection , the moment right before that probably counts for this thread.

For context, this was during the Kyle/Yost X-Force run, where the team are trying to destroy a sample of the Legacy virus that a bunch of anti-mutant terrorists have gotten their hands on in a T2-esque steel mill, only for X-23 to get injected with the full sample. The rest of the team aren't able to get to her as she moves off, except for Elixir, who basically got drafted to be team medic & isn't down with killing people at all.

She's OK, she manages to avoid the metal but gets set on fire when she bounces off the side of the tank. Luckily she's got her healing factor back by that point & heals. It's just too bad she never saved him back.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

Why didn't they rescue the other person taking a lava bath?

He was the bad guy :v:

Alacron posted:

Why do artists insist on giving Red Hood's mask lips? Has it ever looked not terrible?

Nope!

Is really a shame that they scrapped Medri's costume for Jason since it had a very superior helmet.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
from today's MtMtE #49 and we get another example of why James Roberts' signature character might well be Megatron

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you told me a couple years ago I'd give a poo poo about Megatron Having this weird robo-soul searching journey ending with him straight up renouncing violence and actually feel like it was a satisfying arc I'd have called you a liar but welp.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"I've renounced violence", says the transforming robot with a giant gun barrel over his shoulder :v:

That being said, I'm loving the new Megatron, too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"I've renounced violence", says the transforming robot with a giant gun barrel over his shoulder :v:

T-shirt cannon.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Discendo Vox posted:

T-shirt cannon.

It fires T-shirts that say "Here comes a special bot!"

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

T-shirt cannon.

On the front it says "Here Comes Grimlock!"

And on the back it says "There Goes Grimlock!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That being said, I'm loving the new Megatron, too.

The gun now fires confetti as Megatron has renounced violence and taken up being leader of the Partycons. Alternately, it now just fires magic healing rays, like a videogame.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Alacron posted:

On the front it says "Here Comes Grimlock!"

And on the back it says "There Goes Grimlock!"

With a picture of Grimlock pulling a wooden duckie.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Choco1980 posted:

With a picture of Grimlock pulling a wooden duckie.

A helium balloon of Swoop.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ManiacClown posted:

A helium balloon of Swoop.

Stop making me want things that don't exist

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

The last two pages of of the last issue of Alias.

Luke has just admitted to Jessica that he has feelings for her. Very, very deep feelings.

She's got some news for him, too: she's pregnant. And it's his.

And he just BEAMS. Such a huge smile, it's wonderful.

And then his face suddenly gets all nervous. And he asks her:

"Do you want it?"

and she says:

"Very, very, very much."

and again, he BEAMS.

Really sweet.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Parahexavoctal posted:

The last two pages of of the last issue of Alias.

Luke has just admitted to Jessica that he has feelings for her. Very, very deep feelings.

She's got some news for him, too: she's pregnant. And it's his.

And he just BEAMS. Such a huge smile, it's wonderful.

And then his face suddenly gets all nervous. And he asks her:

"Do you want it?"

and she says:

"Very, very, very much."

and again, he BEAMS.

Really sweet.

Their relationship has remained one of the brightest spots in Marvel, it's wonderful

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The New Avengers annual where Jessica accepts his marriage proposal out of nowhere and Luke has this blissful look like he's about to fall over is one of my favorite comic moments.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm glad somebody in comics is allowed to be happily married. :unsmith:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm glad somebody in comics is allowed to be happily married. :unsmith:

Agreed. Comic writers seem to be obsessed with the idea that readers hate happy relationships and do everything in their power to kill them most of the time. I'm glad to see this on survive.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

And then the baby was a skrull!!!!

Edit:: I swear this was a last page twist once but can't find it, so maybe I'm crazy

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 13, 2016

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I think they randomly just showed her with green eyes in secret invasion to hint that she was a skrull but then it turned out to be a random nonsense misdirect.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Geostomp posted:

Agreed. Comic writers seem to be obsessed with the idea that readers hate happy relationships and do everything in their power to kill them most of the time. I'm glad to see this on survive.

I wonder if they're slightly projecting, sometimes.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Geostomp posted:

Hate probably isn't quite it.

But it's easy drama is why. Also 'it's humanising'.

I mean, normal couples can be as infuriating as they are lovely. Then you add superpowers and heroing to the mix? All the while possibly juggling a secret ID? The struggles are conflict, which sells things. Seeing them work through it makes them real. Seeing them perfectly happy makes you feel good also, while it lasts. Then someone complains they're too happy or some such and 'welp'. More easy drama.

I remember the older days of Spider-Man(Or at least I remember reading some old anthologies). When Mary-Jane had giant hair, and they and Peter were happily married, and she was a movie star and his own job was doing well too.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Bloodly posted:

I remember the older days of Spider-Man(Or at least I remember reading some old anthologies). When Mary-Jane had giant hair, and they and Peter were happily married, and she was a movie star and his own job was doing well too.

See, that just seems like a good time to do the Miles Morales thing and have a new character take up the old hero's mantle. There's a reason you don't see a lot of Professional athletes stick on into their 40s and 50s, and superheroics seems, if anything, like it'd put even more of a strain on your body. Just come up with an origin story for the new guy, have the old hero mentor them for a while, then retire from full time heroics to enjoy a quieter professional life and raising a family. Have them occasionally drop in to bail the newbie out of a deathtrap, or give them advice on a case. Maybe do a temporary team up for some big threat.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Keeshhound posted:

See, that just seems like a good time to do the Miles Morales thing and have a new character take up the old hero's mantle. There's a reason you don't see a lot of Professional athletes stick on into their 40s and 50s, and superheroics seems, if anything, like it'd put even more of a strain on your body. Just come up with an origin story for the new guy, have the old hero mentor them for a while, then retire from full time heroics to enjoy a quieter professional life and raising a family. Have them occasionally drop in to bail the newbie out of a deathtrap, or give them advice on a case. Maybe do a temporary team up for some big threat.

That's kind of exactly what Astro City did with Jack In The Box (who's basically that comic's analog to Spidey already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

Isn't that what they tried to do with Ben Reilly?