Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, and really angry old nerds who were still mad about the Spider-marriage sabotaged it at every turn. There'd be one issue where Peter retires with MJ to the suburbs, and then the next book would be like "IT SURE WOULD BE DUMB IF I LET BEN REILLEY BE SPIDER-MAN FULL TIME ALSO MY MARRIAGE IS DISSOLVING"

Which is to say nothing of what would happen if they successfully retired Peter and the Marvel version of Geoff Johns got a job at Marvel. Although I guess that's Dan Slott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Keeshhound posted:

See, that just seems like a good time to do the Miles Morales thing and have a new character take up the old hero's mantle. There's a reason you don't see a lot of Professional athletes stick on into their 40s and 50s, and superheroics seems, if anything, like it'd put even more of a strain on your body. Just come up with an origin story for the new guy, have the old hero mentor them for a while, then retire from full time heroics to enjoy a quieter professional life and raising a family. Have them occasionally drop in to bail the newbie out of a deathtrap, or give them advice on a case. Maybe do a temporary team up for some big threat.

That was basically how they handled Peter Parker in Spider-Girl - he retired from superheroics to raise hs family and kind of reluctantly mentored his daughter (because really, what parent would be happy their teen daughter is dressing up and fighting supervillains?). Granted, he had retired before her origin, but it shows it can be done.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yvonmukluk posted:

Granted, he had retired before her origin, but it shows it can be done.
And then Spider-Verse happened and... :argh:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

FilthyImp posted:

And then Spider-Verse happened and... :argh:

I know, man. I know. :smith:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Parahexavoctal posted:

The last two pages of of the last issue of Alias.

Luke has just admitted to Jessica that he has feelings for her. Very, very deep feelings.

She's got some news for him, too: she's pregnant. And it's his.

And he just BEAMS. Such a huge smile, it's wonderful.

And then his face suddenly gets all nervous. And he asks her:

"Do you want it?"

and she says:

"Very, very, very much."

and again, he BEAMS.

Really sweet.

I would very much like to see these panels if anyone has them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SonicRulez posted:

I would very much like to see these panels if anyone has them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
That's nicely written, but the seemingly phototraced style, and even more the strange, repetitive images take me right out of it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's a weird Bendis-y thing that he does too much. Alias is good, but a lot of the stuff that was said could have been said in 2/3 as many panels.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The main art in Alias is really rough, but I think it adds to the creepy, skeezy terror of the series and being all grimy & realistic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WickedHate posted:

The main art in Alias is really rough, but I think it adds to the creepy, skeezy terror of the series and being all grimy & realistic.

And also adds a huge dimension to the flashback to Jessica's heroing days, where it switches to a style reminiscent of Jim Lee while showing exactly what Kilgrave did to her.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jedit posted:

And also adds a huge dimension to the flashback to Jessica's heroing days, where it switches to a style reminiscent of Jim Lee while showing exactly what Kilgrave did to her.

Mark Bagley is similar to Jim Lee?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah when in thumbnails the copy pastes just jump right out. :\

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

wiegieman posted:

It's a weird Bendis-y thing that he does too much. Alias is good, but a lot of the stuff that was said could have been said in 2/3 as many panels.

I might be misunderstanding, but are you saying that repetitive art is a Bendis thing?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chaos Hippy posted:

I might be misunderstanding, but are you saying that repetitive art is a Bendis thing?

He scripts scenes that are the same panels over and over again and has done it with multiple artists which means it's all on him.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Ah. I've never checked out his scripts, so I didn't twig to that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Those Avengers issues that are just talking heads for pages and pages are a goddamn crime against the medium.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Chaos Hippy posted:

Bendis is completely addicted to the beat panel, in which a character just stares out of the page. That's a fine thing once an issue, but it's boring after 6 times on the same page. I realize that the facial expressions here are a thing but being concise is just as powerful as being verbose.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

His Avengers had multiple double page spreads of that poo poo.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Powers is full of it too. Mostly with the forensics guy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Of Marvel's current crop of artists, I think Sandoval is the best one, his art is just so lively, also the most recent issue of New Avengers has some stuff worthy of this thread

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Mark Bagley is similar to Jim Lee?

Not really, in that he's actually a good artist. He was just drawing in a somewhat similar style.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Discendo Vox posted:

That's nicely written, but the seemingly phototraced style, and even more the strange, repetitive images take me right out of it.

Yeah, it's a tad odd seeing Luke Cage sweetly declare his love to a gurning, fifty-something bag lady. Still, diff'rent strokes to move the world and all that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jedit posted:

Not really, in that he's actually a good artist. He was just drawing in a somewhat similar style.

I pulled the book down to my desk and it looks nothing like Jim Lee.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

He wasn't? He was drawing it like Mark Bagley. It looks way more like Ultimate Spider-Man or Thunderbolts than anything Lee's ever done.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Bendis is completely addicted to the beat panel, in which a character just stares out of the page. That's a fine thing once an issue, but it's boring after 6 times on the same page. I realize that the facial expressions here are a thing but being concise is just as powerful as being verbose.

I'm not sure it's even verbosity in the panels posted, my bigger problem is the obviously copied and pasted art makes me feel like I'm watching a fire emblem cutscene or something. Having a smile, and then beat of something else, and then am unzoomed version of that same smile makes Luke look unhinged instead of happy because it robs the character of movement. Instead of doing something or having a complete reaction to the happy news it's like someone made a *smiling unintensifies* meme. I know that sequential art has to suggest the actions that take place in-between panels but all these images are so static and repetitive that it actually makes it harder for me to do that. Also when someone says they want the baby "very much" while they seem to be staring into a bright light somewhat undermines the words.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Call me old fashioned, but sometimes comics still make me cry.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Okay this is gonna take a little explaining but it's a moment I really enjoyed. If you read Jonathan Hickman's Avengers, you probably remember Captain America and the other Avengers' crazy time-hopping adventure when the time gem went all wonky. One era they visited was a world where Ultron dominated everything (one could call it an Age of Ultron:v:). A little while later, Marvel released a short little stand-alone series called Ultron Forever where a future Doctor Doom pulls a bunch of Avengers from different time periods* to beat Ultron and save the future. And they do. But then, in true Doom fashion, Doom makes a play to take over the Earth using all of Ultron's convenient mind control tech he left lying around. But since the first issue, the Vision (present day) has been a little smug, acting like he knows a secret...

Uncanny Avengers - Ultron Forever

Granted this requires you to have read and/or give a poo poo about Avengers AI, but I did, so I liked this twist.

*If you want to field your dream Avengers squad, Doombot's was original appearance Hulk, Jim Rhodes Iron Man, Thor from the 80s, present-day Black Widow and Vision (though Vision got sucked through a portal by mistake), Captain America of the vague future (Dani Cage), and ANAD Jane Foster Thor (she actually tries to tell Vision and Natasha about the current plotline in the reboot but 80s Thor shuts her down because of potentially loving up the timeline)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Okay, that Doom space shuttle at the end is really pretty funny.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
drat that was really good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kinda makes one sad since post Secret Wars, Vision has been acting all sorts of shady, also didn't Avengers AI have kinda a crappy ending with Pym killing most of Earth's AI while having a rather racist hissy fit?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

Kinda makes one sad since post Secret Wars, Vision has been acting all sorts of shady, also didn't Avengers AI have kinda a crappy ending with Pym killing most of Earth's AI while having a rather racist hissy fit?

It's okay, Ultron Forever made up for it by making him become one with his killer Oedipus robot through technobabble and the power of LOVE (which was apparently dialed back recently to Pym becoming a shiny Venom where Venom is Ultron).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

No? Maybe he did that in Rage of Ultron since that's where he died/merged with Ultron and I haven't read it, but A.I. definitely ends with all the AIs fine except for the villain (who was an AI.) Ultron Forever ends with all the aforementioned heroes going back to their own timelines and a happily ever after.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 17, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Scaramouche posted:

Powers is full of it too. Mostly with the forensics guy

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Found a fun site with all kinds of funny/badass/touching panels.
http://arousinggrammar.com/articles-sorted-by-character/

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

a nice little epilogue of sorts to Purple Man's involvement in Luke and Jessica's lives(unfortunately I don't have any of the following pages so I don't know if we see the resulting beatdown);

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

drrockso20 posted:

a nice little epilogue of sorts to Purple Man's involvement in Luke and Jessica's lives(unfortunately I don't have any of the following pages so I don't know if we see the resulting beatdown);

Here they are.

New Avengers v1 #3

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

This whole subplot from Seven Soldiers had always stuck with me. For those who haven't read it, Seven Soldiers is a big story Grant Morrison did ten years ago based on seven different heroes unknowingly working together to save the world from the same threat. Being that Morrison loves getting meta, the main threats are the Sheeda (apocalyptic fairies who represent comics' desire to cannibalize the past to sustain the present) and Zor the Terrible Time Tailor (a rogue "architect of reality" who represents Alan Moore and the legacy he left for comics in general).

Across the different stories in Seven Soldiers, we'd be introduced to a series of characters like Ali Ka-Zoom (magician), Li'l Hollywood (super-impressionist) and Scarface (mafia boss). It's alluded to that they all knew each other decades before and they had a run-in with the Sheeda. We don't get an explanation until Manhattan Guardian #4 where the Guardian finally gets to meet his mysterious boss, Baby Brain, in the flesh. Baby Brain is a genius in a baby's body and tries to warn Guardian about what's coming.

Back in the 40's, there was a team called the Newsboy Army. It was made up of the above-mentioned characters as well as Chop Suzi, Captain 7 and Millions the Dog. They got into all kinds of crazy adventures, but then things took a turn for the dark when a local boxer got possessed by a fairy and went on a killing spree. They decided to investigate and it led them to Slaughter Swamp.

These adventurous kids being told outright that they're going to get the Miracleman/Watchmen treatment, which turns them into broken, "serious" people in a cynical world, is one of the more horrific developments I've seen in a comic.

But then there's Seven Soldiers #1, the finale to the whole story. All sorts of poo poo is going on at the same time. The Sheeda are being defeated on various fronts like this Rube Goldberg machine made of decisions, actions and coincidence. In the midst of it all, we see these two panels mixed in there, shortly before the main villain is outright destroyed.

:unsmith:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The effect was, perhaps, impaired when the dog was labelled "Dead at 14."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nessus posted:

The effect was, perhaps, impaired when the dog was labelled "Dead at 14."

Coming right after a person who is also Dead At 14 I thought it was pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Travis343 posted:

Coming right after a person who is also Dead At 14 I thought it was pretty funny.

Yes, but the literal point of the Time Tailor's plan is to make them not funny. Making one of the "suits" a joke is completely against what he's trying to do. The joke also comes directly between panels implying that the child Captain 7 would rape and murder was Chop Suzi. It's a duff note.