Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

ANGR is kind of different because he's not "Ghost Rider" Ghost Rider. He literally is the All New Ghost Rider.

There's definitely something coming down the pike.

Johnny is coming to the book soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

So yeah, that kid's probably not long for this world, especially if his big bro is neglecting his supernatural vigilante duties to take care of him instead. :smith:
The funny thing is, Robbie Reyes as depicted is still the Robbie Reyes of #1, just now with superpowers and the voice in his head. Hell, street racing for tons of cash is how he ended up as Ghost Rider in the first place! (The TL;DR was that he got intercepted by a drug cartel's paramilitaries during a such a race, cornered, and killed when he surrendered to who he thought were police, and he was racing in the first place because -- as with the female Ghost Rider -- he saw things as "nowhere to go but up"... up until he realized what would happen if he got arrested.)

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

From Next week's Ms Marvel

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The new Ms Marvel is just absolutely a delight.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Can someone post just the last panel? I want to make someone's day.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Dacap posted:

gently caress. I read the first issue and just thought it was ok, but you got me... I'll catch up.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Pierson posted:

I am so glad the book is still good. I'm also enjoying every issue--I have no problem with the pace, since (at this stage, anyway) this is a story *about* learning how to be a hero--and I'd be really happy to get a long run with the same writer.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
It gets better:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Chortles posted:

It gets better:

Oh my goddddd :neckbeard:

Also your neighbours will think 'they've got an awesome as hell giant dog next door, they are clearly great people'.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also your neighbours will think 'they've got an awesome as hell giant dog next door, they are clearly great people'.

And, if that sign is to be believed, he likes hugs.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

"Man, these people are serious about home defense."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

C. Everett Koop posted:

"Man, these people are serious about home defense."
"So that's what happened to all the stray cats in town."

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

"So that's what happened to all the stray cats in town."

"What the hell keeps happening to my azaleas?"

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Pierson posted:

It's a wonderful point of contrast between how each of the Big Two treats their portrayal of minority characters.

DC: Okay, so the new Green Lantern is a Muslim, which means that of COURSE he gets falsely accused of being a TERRORIST and even though he's got a power ring we'll portray him with an ANGRY FACE on the cover, CLUTCHING A GUN.

Marvel: Here's a quite positive depiction of her home life and culture, yes sometimes people are jerks to her because she's different and there are occasionally clashes between her cultural background and the everyday life of an American teenager that she just wants to fit in with, but she deals with these struggles as best she knows how and even when they don't necessarily agree with her aspirations in this area the authority figures in her life are portrayed as generally having her best interests at heart.

Also the letters pages are amazingly :3: to read. The page for issue 7 has a reader who is a Modern Orthodox Jew writing in and saying how well he relates to her experiences, which is such a ringing endorsement for the characterization in the series thus far.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Breetai posted:

It's a wonderful point of contrast between how each of the Big Two treats their portrayal of minority characters.

DC: Okay, so the new Green Lantern is a Muslim, which means that of COURSE he gets falsely accused of being a TERRORIST and even though he's got a power ring we'll portray him with an ANGRY FACE on the cover, CLUTCHING A GUN.

Marvel: Here's a quite positive depiction of her home life and culture, yes sometimes people are jerks to her because she's different and there are occasionally clashes between her cultural background and the everyday life of an American teenager that she just wants to fit in with, but she deals with these struggles as best she knows how and even when they don't necessarily agree with her aspirations in this area the authority figures in her life are portrayed as generally having her best interests at heart.

Also the letters pages are amazingly :3: to read. The page for issue 7 has a reader who is a Modern Orthodox Jew writing in and saying how well he relates to her experiences, which is such a ringing endorsement for the characterization in the series thus far.

I think one of my favorite parts of this is during the run everyone tells her she needs to speak to the head of her temple and she's just dreading it. Saying how he hates her and he's totally unfair and you can of build up this image in your head of this sexist old jerk that's going to treat her like crap. She finally sits down with him and he's just this kind old man who gives her some great advice.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code

Chortles posted:

It gets better:

I haven't bought a comic in years, i just occasionally read these forums for my fix, but my god.
I need to get this.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Leper Residue posted:

I think one of my favorite parts of this is during the run everyone tells her she needs to speak to the head of her temple and she's just dreading it. Saying how he hates her and he's totally unfair and you can of build up this image in your head of this sexist old jerk that's going to treat her like crap. She finally sits down with him and he's just this kind old man who gives her some great advice.
It gets better: he's the same old guy from #3 who was lecturing about boys and girls from behind a partition.

Also, if only because of his repeated/ongoing use of colloquialisms and the thinking implied by them, Aamir (the brother) is also nowhere near a strawman fundamentalist either.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Chortles posted:

It gets better: he's the same old guy from #3 who was lecturing about boys and girls from behind a partition.

Also, if only because of his repeated/ongoing use of colloquialisms and the thinking implied by them, Aamir (the brother) is also nowhere near a strawman fundamentalist either.

Yeah, the fact that the Muslim characters in this book are all shown to have genuinely different attitudes towards their faith instead of a one-size-fits-all portrayal of their beliefs is another breath of fresh air.

How are this book's sales? I'm interested to know what the general audience reaction to it has been.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Breetai posted:

How are this book's sales? I'm interested to know what the general audience reaction to it has been.

This page shows 33,000 units for issue #5:
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2014/2014-06.html

That's pretty solidly mid-tier, beating out a couple solo X-books and Fantastic Four (?!), losing out to Thor and Moon Knight and Silver Surfer. But rumors are that it's actually outselling the print run in digital sales.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Breetai posted:

Yeah, the fact that the Muslim characters in this book are all shown to have genuinely different attitudes towards their faith instead of a one-size-fits-all portrayal of their beliefs is another breath of fresh air.
I've also just remembered that even the dad ("Abu", though his name is actually Yusuf) previously both forbade-from-partying-with-boys/grounded Kamala and cast a disbelieving eye on Aamir's holier-than-thou act in the same scene in #1, only to turn around and be the sympathetic ear when she was discovered to have snuck out a second time (he was the "not angry, just disappointed" parent when Kamala snuck out the first time.), and although its canonicity is uncertain "Garden State of Mind" also has him as the more sympathetic of her parents.

Breetai posted:

Going from the site linked to by Uthor and seconded by The Beat (I'm guessing that the bracketed numbers are the subsequent printings' totals):

quote:

02/14 Ms. Marvel #1 - 50,286 ( --- ) [15,155]
03/14 Ms. Marvel #2 - 38,357 (-23.7%) [3,440]
04/14 Ms. Marvel #3 - 37,140 ( -3.2%)
05/14 Ms. Marvel #4 - 34,839 ( -6.2%)
06/14 Ms. Marvel #5 - 33,795 ( -3.0%)
07/14 Ms. Marvel #6 - 36,041 ( 6.6%)
As the article writer put it in the comments for the prior month's article, albeit belied by #4's 6.2% drop, "A lot of books would kill for a 3% drop every month."

Uthor posted:

That's pretty solidly mid-tier, beating out a couple solo X-books and Fantastic Four (?!), losing out to Thor and Moon Knight and Silver Surfer. But rumors are that it's actually outselling the print run in digital sales.
Anecdote: If we're putting her book up against DC as well, then Ms. Marvel #4 actually outsold that month's Wonder Woman #31. :haw: #5 also beat out Batwoman #32 and Catwoman #32, while #6 outsold Green Lantern Corps #33 and was within 99 issues of Aquaman #33... and on the Marvel side, with the exception of Captain Marvel #1 (which outsold Ms. Marvel #2's first printing, but sold less than Ms. Marvel #1), every other issue of Ms. Marvel has outsold both that month's Captain America and Captain Marvel.

In addition to the reported six printings of Ms. Marvel #1, five weeks ago the official Ms. Marvel Tumblr reported a fourth printing for #2 and second printings for #4 and #5, and here is allegedly-Dan Slott (of Superior Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man infamy) seconding the word that Ms. Marvel sells even better in digital.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Breetai posted:

Unlike print, I don't think they give out hard numbers for digital sales, but rumors are it does even better there. If a given issue is number 8 that week in print (pulling numbers out of my rear end) it will be the number 4 digital comic that week (again, numbers out of my rear end).

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011

Dacap posted:

Haha, I have this image in my head of Black Bolt fitting the sign on, followed by ear scritchies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Black Bolt is actually off in hiding, pretending to be dead. It would have been Medusa doing that, which is probably more of a mindfuck.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Takezio posted:

Haha, I have this image in my head of Black Bolt fitting the sign on, followed by ear scritchies.

I can't post it right now, but as I recall there's a great image of Black Bolt hugging Lockjaw in the Jenkins/Lee Inhumans.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

muscles like this? posted:

Black Bolt is actually off in hiding, pretending to be dead. It would have been Medusa doing that, which is probably more of a mindfuck.

Especially considering that Lockjaw isn't a dog, but is an Inhuman like the rest of them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bairfanx posted:

Especially considering that Lockjaw isn't a dog, but is an Inhuman like the rest of them.

No, he is a dog.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Endless Mike posted:

No, he is a dog.

He just has powers. Like being adorable.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Endless Mike posted:

No, he is a dog.

Lockjaw is a member of the Inhumans royal family, mutated by the Terrigen Mists into his canine form.

I think those pages are wonderful and adorable. But somewhere along the line, someone decided Lockjaw should be a member of the royal family transformed by the Terrigen Mists like the rest of the Inhumans. Because comics.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Somebody decided the mists were too foolproof, so sometimes it turns you into a dog.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lockjaw is a dog according to Tom Brevoort, citing that it'd be creepy as gently caress if he were once sapien. I'll take the editor's word over the website.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

bairfanx posted:

Lockjaw is a member of the Inhumans royal family, mutated by the Terrigen Mists into his canine form.

I think those pages are wonderful and adorable. But somewhere along the line, someone decided Lockjaw should be a member of the royal family transformed by the Terrigen Mists like the rest of the Inhumans. Because comics.

It may or may not surprise you to learn that that was a John Byrne decision.

ETA: EVERYTHING YOU COULD EVER WANT TO KNOW ABOUT LOCKJAW (who I love, don't get me wrong)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Die Laughing posted:

Lockjaw is a dog according to Tom Brevoort, citing that it'd be creepy as gently caress if he were once sapien. I'll take the editor's word over the website.

Well, it's creepy as gently caress that the Inhumans keep those that don't transform usefully from the mists as slaves in their basement.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Uthor posted:

Well, it's creepy as gently caress that the Inhumans keep those that don't transform usefully from the mists as slaves in their basement.

Unless you are royalty then you get to be a pet.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

So, um, I have no idea what the story is behind the inhumans but it basically sounds like the backstory of static shock. C/d?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

So, um, I have no idea what the story is behind the inhumans but it basically sounds like the backstory of static shock. C/d?

No the Inhumans are exposed to their superpower-granting-gas totally on purpose.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Die Laughing posted:

I dunno. Maybe it's like Unseen University's Librarian, who decided he liked being an orangutan better than a person.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

That's exactly what the new Inhumans are like. The ones from before the terrigen bomb in Infinity were all raised in seclusion, and got their powers as a rite of passage.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoPair posted:

No the Inhumans are exposed to their superpower-granting-gas totally on purpose.

It's also the backbone of their entire society.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SirDan3k posted:

Unless you are royalty then you get to be a pet.

Whether he's a dog or person turned into a dog, I don't think anyone would say Lockjaw's transformation isn't useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was another Inhuman guy who had teleporting powers but it involved going into his giant mouth.