Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FMguru posted:

Actually, he did

Why did they draw the Star Trek crew as flabby old guys, but put them in the 60s uniforms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
They look pretty decent, as a matter of fact. They're explorers more than soldiers, why wouldn't they be on the fitter side of average? The distinct drawing styles clash too much, though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FMguru posted:

Actually, he did

This comic has proven way more relevant in far more situations than I ever expected.

KittenofDoom posted:

They look pretty decent, as a matter of fact. They're explorers more than soldiers, why wouldn't they be on the fitter side of average? The distinct drawing styles clash too much, though.

Rising standards of body perfection from the 80s onwards have really warped perceptions of how fit the men of the 50s-70s actually were.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

KittenofDoom posted:

They would look fine, unless you compare them to the X-Men on the very same page. And Kirk gets a ton of cardio-vascular work-outs from all the green alien girls.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mind the walrus posted:

Rising standards of body perfection from the 80s onwards have really warped perceptions of how fit the men of the 50s-70s actually were.
You can almost always tell where an episode of TOS falls in a season based on Shatner's fitness. He'd get in shape during the hiatus, and then get flabbier and flabbier as the long weekly shoots ground on.

That crossover spawned multiple TNG-era sequels and at least one novel. I'm pretty sure the entire purpose of it from the beginning was to set up this gag

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FMguru posted:

You can almost always tell where an episode of TOS falls in a season based on Shatner's fitness. He'd get in shape during the hiatus, and then get flabbier and flabbier as the long weekly shoots ground on.

This is also true. Shatner was always most likely to be out of shape and ridiculously overstated as a man of action who could hold his own in a fight.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

My problem isn't actually with how the crew is drawn, t's that they are drawn that way, but Jean, Scott and Bishop are still drawn in the 90's Marvel style. It's a pseudo military vessel that has fist fights weekly as part of their diplomatic missions. When this was made, yes, James Kirk was portrayed by an actual human being and Scott Summers hadn't yet, but (aside from the laser eyes) from what I know about the fictional history of these characters Kirk should be roughly as fit as Summers, maybe a little less, because he's older, but if Kirk and crew are in their the TOS uniforms and Grey is wearing that costume, not much older.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's one that's already come up here several times, I'm sure, but whatever gets the thread back on topic.

Superior Spider-Man #31. Spoilers! For the entire run, Peter's body has been hijacked by Doc Ock, and he's been acting nothing at all like Spider-Man or Peter Parker. Fights were hard, quiet, and brutal, dilemmas were always solved by doing the smart thing, never the right thing, and slowly but surely, Otto ran Peter's life into the ground, and left the city in a state where the Green Goblin and co. could try to take over the whole city. Every time he tried to stop it, Norman wiped the floor with him, and before long figured out it was Otto Octavius, not Peter Parker, that he was fighting, and Norman used that to make things even worse for 'Peter' and the city. It's not until his darkest hour that Otto realizes he's only making things worse, that he can't fix this on his own, and gives his body back to Peter.

After thirty issues of a cruel, rambling, unheroic Spider-Man who we're supposed to hate, there is an absurd amount of catharsis and "things will be okay" in just seeing him quipping again.

That is a GREAT "Oh, gently caress me" expression on Goblin's face.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Someone did a comic adaptation of Isaac Asimov's The Last Question.

http://imgur.com/gallery/9KWrH

Linking only the gallery as it's a set of long images.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Jedit posted:

Agh, man, that story gets me every time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Discendo Vox posted:

Agh, man, that story gets me every time.

Yeah, I started skimming it, didn't really like the art, then got about half way down and just read it to the end.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Groot 004

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jedit posted:

I really should have seen that coming.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Uthor posted:

Groot 004

Welp, you've convinced me to get this. Thanks!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Groot #4 was the best thing I read in a month. It was both hilarious and uplifting.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I really like her speech bubbles. :3:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's a great visualisation of the meaning that's meant to be lost behind Groot's words normally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've heard a lot of complaining about those pages and I donno why. They're real good.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I've heard a lot of complaining about those pages and I donno why. They're real good.

What's to complain about?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
And who did the complaining?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I don't have an issue with them, but if I was critiquing, I'd say that Numinus looks too Disney Princess, Scarlet Witch's head is just loving wrong, and that the GROOT textimages go for a lot of cheap pops.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

What's to complain about?

I've heard people saying that Groot is arguing that the old Marvel characters are the problem and the new (i.e: female/non-white) ones are the 'good' thing. Which feels like a huge misreading of the page but y'know, assholes.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Groot was right, Civil War sucked

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Toshimo posted:

I don't have an issue with them, but if I was critiquing, I'd say that Numinus looks too Disney Princess, Scarlet Witch's head is just loving wrong, and that the GROOT textimages go for a lot of cheap pops.

The artist works as a storyboard artist for Disney, so....

I'm really liking the artwork in the book.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm tickled that it's 2015 and comic books are still drawing on imagery from the 1980s when I last collected them, in this case Phoenix getting zapped. Has it always been iconic, or is this just a random thing?

EDIT: vvvvv But didn't all that come long after X-Men 137? Unless I'm remembering it wrong I thought this was a call-back to the panel where she gets blasted after combat with Lilandra's team on the moon.

EDIT 2: This one. Forgive me if I'm getting everything mixed up. I haven't followed comics closely for a very long time.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 3, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm tickled that it's 2015 and comic books are still drawing on imagery from the 1980s when I last collected them, in this case Phoenix getting zapped. Has it always been iconic, or is this just a random thing?

The Trial of the Phoenix and CRISIS on Infinite Earths are 2 of the most iconic moments in their respective publishing houses and are referenced incessantly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is Numinus an established cosmic entity, or is this her first appearance?

Also, what is the Captain Marvel thing where she's kneeling over the corpse? That's the only event I don't know.

(Thank you for posting these panels, by the way. I just picked up all four issues and I love them.)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also, what is the Captain Marvel thing where she's kneeling over the corpse? That's the only event I don't know.

(Thank you for posting these panels, by the way. I just picked up all four issues and I love them.)

That's not Captain Marvel; it's Phoenix-Cyclops kneeling over Dead Professor X.

e: Also apparently Numinus first showed up in Power Pack. Check here for more info, inclusing her amazingly hilarious original appearance; I think Disney Princessifying her was definitely the way to go.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Numinus has the best powers.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

That's not Captain Marvel; it's Phoenix-Cyclops kneeling over Dead Professor X.

e: Also apparently Numinus first showed up in Power Pack. Check here for more info, inclusing her amazingly hilarious original appearance; I think Disney Princessifying her was definitely the way to go.

:catstare:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

It's like someone took a charicature of Whoopi Goldberg, and gave her some Jack Kirby armor.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Choco1980 posted:

It's like someone took a charicature of Whoopi Goldberg, and gave her some Jack Kirby armor.

That's exactly what the character was purposefully designed as.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah I'm calling bullshit, that is not a Marvel Comics character that is concept art for that Theodore Rex movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Travis343 posted:

Theodore Rex

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

That's exactly what the character was purposefully designed as.

So for this Groot series they revamped her as Whoopi from Captain Planet?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I've heard people saying that Groot is arguing that the old Marvel characters are the problem and the new (i.e: female/non-white) ones are the 'good' thing. Which feels like a huge misreading of the page but y'know, assholes.

I am genuinely proud of myself that such a reading never even crossed my mind until you said something. What assholes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, he's pretty clearly pointing out that most of the stuff she's worried about has turned out OK in the long run. The Avengers are still around and better than ever, Captain America is transcending generations, Spider-Man and Captain Marvel are inspiring a new generation and the FF have become a family.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, he's pretty clearly pointing out that most of the stuff she's worried about has turned out OK in the long run. The Avengers are still around and better than ever, Captain America is transcending generations, Spider-Man and Captain Marvel are inspiring a new generation and the FF have become a family.

I feel like it's even simpler that that. I feel like the message is stuff is awesome now. Let's roll. I am Groot.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Soylentbits posted:

I feel like it's even simpler that that. I feel like the message is stuff is awesome now. Let's roll. I am Groot.

"Change is good. Don't worry about it. I am Groot."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"We are Groot."