Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lurdiak posted:

Here you go!

Oh... wait... no... :smith:

(Spectacular Spider-man 181)

And about 8 months later, they came back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I sometimes wonder if the mountains of poo poo that get heaped on Flash isn't writers symbolically getting back at their own high school bullies. I hope not.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

I think the baby wasn't actually conceived in the Negative Zone, but Susan went there every weekend before she found out she was pregnant. It wouldn't be the Fantastic Four without dipping off to a parallel dimension full of deadly radiation on a regular basis.

No, there was a good chunk of issues where they were in the Negative Zone for like weeks. Presumably, Reed and Sue did the nasty at least once during that time, and that's when the kid was conceived.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

You also get the sick irony of these kids exacting vigilante "justice" on someone because they think he's a vigilante.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

It's probably significant that the cosmic entity looks a bit like Moore.

Also, Asimov did that ending first.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That was four issues!

I prefer to think of it as approximately fifty minutes that I will never get back.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I'm not finding this touching or inspiring, sadly.

However, I always loved this splash page from Maximum Carnage.

Spidey has been beat down. He's lying in the dirt, collapsed, lacking the will even to get up. When suddenly he hears a voice:

"Do you need a hand, son?"

"You look like you could use it."

EDIT to unbreak tables.
As much as the rest of Maximum Carnage sucks elephant balls, that scene is fuckin' great.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Or is it Sputnik posted:

It's more of a fill-in and less of an inventory seeing as it starts where the previous issue left off, but the story is about something else entirely. They had two fill-ins in four months over Hulk #'s 376-380, I thought both were really good.

That one wasn't a fill-in, though; it was done by the regular creative team.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

That scene would be a lot greater if the artist had drawn the girl so we couldn't see her bra.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Len posted:

Yes. There's an issue about ghost puppies that's one of the saddest and hosed up things I've read. That said I really hope he write more.

They are doing more. Next year, I think.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

And because he likes it. His favorite food is beef bourguignon.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Gavok posted:

The closest thing would be What If Peter Parker Had to Destroy Spider-Man? where Flash Thompson is bitten by the spider instead and Peter ends up helping him create the web-swinger persona. The Awesome Spider becomes corrupt and Peter goes all prep-time against him, including creating mechanical spider arms to help him fight and defeat Flash. Then the Fantastic Four tell him to keep at it and Peter fights crime with no powers.

There's also Spider-Boy from Amalgam where instead of being merged with anyone from DC, Spider-Boy's tech buddy Doc Ock was simply a helpful good guy.

And he sets Spider-Boy up on a date with Mary Jane Watson...

The Insect Queen.

Spider-Boy was awesome.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I liked the first Death miniseries more than the second, but they're both quite good.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

VagueRant posted:

I always wondered how the original reveal with Aunt May in the clone saga years went. I heard it was touching too? (Before it was revealed that it was an actress.)

It was incredible. They go to the top of the Empire State Building (as normal people) and she asks him what it's like swinging around the city. And then she tells him how proud she is.

Seriously, gently caress The Final Chapter so hard.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Has Aaron even written Cyclops to any great degree? His character shift was largely the work of Morrison, Brubaker, Fraction, and so on, I thought.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

God dammit. I did not think I would ever see that in an Archie comic.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Hey, just in case Afterlife With Archie 4 didn't traumatize you enough, here's the page where Archie beats his zombie dad to death with a baseball bat:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I for one loved the first arc. But I loved all the rest of this volume, too.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I love Sam's "Boom".

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

It helps to remember they're not real people.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

The IDW Turtles series is surprisingly good. It does a really good job of bringing together elements from the many different versions of the property and building something new out of them.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

It may or may not surprise you to learn that that was a John Byrne decision.

ETA: EVERYTHING YOU COULD EVER WANT TO KNOW ABOUT LOCKJAW (who I love, don't get me wrong)

As I recall, editorial ordered Peter David to retcon that in an issue of X-Factor, and he did. (He had Quicksilver say it was all a prank on Ben Grimm, I guess because the Inhumans are dicks.)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Hawkeye 21

Immediately after goddamn destroying me, of course.

Fraction, you magnificent bastard.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

It's the text backups in Century. Mina and Gollywog visit the moon (and the Amazon women thereon), and on the way, Mina reminisces about that time she was a '50s-era superhero and fought Stardust. It's weird.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Uthor posted:

Kate Beaton could write a book about a farting pony and I would still read it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Princess-Pony-Kate-Beaton/dp/0545637082

Farts not confirmed, but hey.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

If I recall correctly (I could be wrong), the almond taste was actually almonds, and what may hit Chameleon with was actually just a sedative. She was just loving with him, because she's the best.

Although, pedant that I am, I have to say that the poison that tastes like almonds is cyanide, not arsenic. But I don't blame May for not knowing that.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Just want to point out: "Feelin' fine" on the typewriter, and "Nermal's Choice" on the cat food bag.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Hey, have you guys heard this crackpot theory that it's OK for superhero comic art not to be descended on a direct line from Neal Adams's style? Crazy, I know.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Parahexavoctal posted:

You should read the Loony Leo issue of Astro City.

"It was then that I discovered an advantage to being a cartoon character, one I'd never thought of before.

Maybe you get hungry... but you don't need to eat. Not really.

Freeze in the rain... sleep in the cold... walk this country from one end to the other... you won't die."

And this was, of course, after the dead, underaged prostitute was found in his hotel room.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

And of course, my brain ruins it by thinking, "He's pining for the fjords."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Well, of course. His hair spontaneously changes color when he's transformed into a werewolf? That would just be silly.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It is always bewildering to me that someone took the ideal of Cable and Deadpool and made it work.

I've always said it was "The Odd Couple" in the Marvel Universe, and thankfully, Fabian Nicieza realized that included the part about how, even though they piss each other off, Felix and Oscar really do respect, care for, and need one another.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

He's not complaining, he's terrified for his life. Ever since he came to Earth, he's been confronted with the knowledge that human culture, and especially American culture, at this point in time is incredibly xenophobic, and if he showed himself as he is in public, he'd probably be murdered.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, without the Professor, are the X-Men turning evil? They seem a little bit evil.

There's a few separate groups, and yeah, one of them is kinda evil. Or at least "If you're trying to gently caress us up, we will gently caress you up three times as bad and not feel guilty about it."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Sharon started out as one of those characters you saw in the late '70s/early '80s who were an old man's idea of what second-wave feminists were like: Constantly yelling about how they hated men, and doomed to be "redeemed" by falling in love with the male hero. And she was originally Carol Danvers's replacement as Ms. Marvel. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

“Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.”

Senior Woodchuck fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 26, 2016

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Ashikan judan posted:

The rear end scene is good because it's a quintessential example of Superman helping, not because he's powerful, but because of who and what he is.

The Deadpool scene is good because the writer recognized that couldn't possibly work for Deadpool, and found a way that he could help anyway, and in a way that is both real and not often seen in cape comics.

They're both good scenes.

Yeah. And what Deadpool does isn't even too different from what Superman does; he shows her that someone does care. He just does it in a Deadpool way (i.e., distracting her by letting her tag along on his amoral adventures while he lines up the help she really needs). As someone who's lived with anxiety and depression, I was touched by this issue.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I didn't mind the whole Superman/Luthor thing with Superboy as an idea, but boy did the execution suck balls. Johns's biggest sin is that he never does anything *interesting* with the concepts he introduces.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Syncopated posted:

I have no idea where this is from.

Star Wars Tales #1. Peter David wrote it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I'm sure he locked the door behind him, you guys.