Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Nahxela posted:

From Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Annual #1, if I recall correctly.
Linked for length: http://i.imgur.com/UVuKI.jpg

Peter David, the writer of the script actually made some remarks about this story:

gently caress you, man.

No, I'm not crying. I just got somethin' in my eye, that's all.

Seriously, though, that's such a sweet story. Both the comic, and the writer's background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Squidster posted:

He 'homaged' the poo poo out of Asimov's The Last Question.". I've had a frustrating number of comic readers tell me how mind blowing the ending to Supreme was, and how no one else is that creative. It's a nice story, but Moore really only added capes.

It sounds like your problem isn't really that Moore took from a previous story, but that people fail to appreciate the previous works. I've seen a lot of that whenever Moore is talked about, especially. Unfortunately all you can really do is point them at the minds who crafted stories every bit as creative and hope they appreciate them too.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I'm getting ready to move across country, leaving behind most of my family, all my friends, and lately I've realized that while I've changed houses a lot I've never changed towns. Leaving this town now, and only now, does it really feel like I'm leaving home.

I don't think I've run into a comic that fits a moment in my life so well, at least out of context as it's presented.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

And on that note, I give you Goodbye, Chunky Rice.

Shut up! I'm not crying! It's just dusty in here, okay?!

That's what I get for sharing my vulnerabilities with you people.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

The Missing Link posted:

Was I the only one that said my name backwards while reading that page?

I know I said your name backwards when I read that page.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

McSpanky posted:

The Something Awful Forums › The Finer Arts › Batman's Shameful Secret › We're stronger than we think we are: Touching and inspiring posts thread :unsmith:

The world is a little brighter when people get what Superman is really all about.

I have a couple friends who just hate Superman. Think he's boring, and dull, and then I try and explain things to them all they can ask is "why doesn't he just superpower his way out" and all I want to do is find something heavy to beat them with.

But I don't. I'm patient and I let it go, because you can't always brute force a solution to a problem.

Superman taught me that, much as I wish it wasn't true sometimes.

On a similar topic, I wish I still had the book so I could grab the panel but one thing always stood out to me as a kid. I had The Death of Superman book, the issue at the end of all that where Superman and Doomsday finally finish out their fight and Superman dies. I wish I remembered exactly what was said, but I believe as everyone looks on and it hits the crowd what happened, Perry White says something like "Goddamnit, no..." and it always hit me hard. To me, as a kid, comic books were for kids. Nobody cursed, the hero always got back up, and the ending was always happy. Obviously I didn't read a lot of comics, but that was how it seemed to me. And I knew Supes wasn't dead for good, no way. I'd have heard about that poo poo, I knew it.

But the way Perry said it. The look on his face, told me that maybe Superman wouldn't get back up. And maybe the world, his world, had just lost something that could never be replaced. He was just a single man, but he was a strong man. A man who always tried to do what was right, and made if not the entire world a better place than at very least his world was better for him being in it. The weight of his passing felt, to me, to be carried in that one little line.

Growing up, I always wanted to be that man. Not Superman, maybe. Just the man that tried to do what was right, even if he was scared or alone, who when he was gone even just one someone would look on and say "Goddamnit, no..."

Er, sorry. That ended up being longer than I meant it to be, especially with no panel. I think I'll go see if I can't find a screenshot of it, for old time's sake.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

McSpanky posted:

Please do, because it's really a great treatise on the whole "well why don't superheroes just fix the world with brute force?" problem. Though really, all four books are different perspectives on that theme.

And if the answers still seem inadequate, replace "superheroes" with "the US government" or "NATO" or whatever authority and reconsider the scenario.

Though I'm uneasy continuing this without posting panels of my own, I want to note that Netflix has Superman vs. The Elite on Instant Streaming which ultimately deals with themes of why superheroes don't just punch bad guys away forever. It ended up being a lot better than I expected it to be, and given this seems to be a somewhat recurring theme in Superman comics of late I may have to go hunting for some books.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ImpAtom posted:

I just can't take Batman clutching his head screaming "What did you do?!" like that at all seriously. It looks so ridiculous, especially in that art style.

Oh man, I kind of want that as an avatar. Crop it down to just Batman holding his head, put "WHAT DID YOU DO?!" as the text. TO PAINT!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Saoshyant posted:

Knock yourself out.

Awesome, thanks! I've been meaning to ditch my red text for a while anyway.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Nilbop posted:

I love this but I can't help but noticing that Johnny just disappeared into the wall between the first two panels.

I would assume he flew out the open window you can see a few panels down behind Sue. So he turned and flamed on out of there.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

TwoPair posted:

Ya'll are doing way too much overanalyzing a man-monster tryin' to feel a heartbeat. Here's a palette cleanser where you don't even need context!

Hawkeye #11

I'm not reading Hawkeye because I am, in fact, the worst person to ever live so...What the gently caress's up with the dialogue in places?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Gavok posted:

That issue is written from the dog's perspective.

That makes sense. :downs: I am a smart person.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Colon V posted:

I knew what this was going in and it still wrecked me. Goddamn you.

:negative:

Goddamn, why is it so dusty in this thread all the time? Someone call Lowtax and complain, we need cleaning ladies or something. It's just...Just dust, in my eyes. That's all.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

CzarChasm posted:

This kind of makes me wonder about a story idea.

What if Dr. Doom created a legitimate, non-evil way to cure cancer, just to piss off Richards? Even play it off for the public: "Fools! Curing cancer was a child's errand for Doom. And one must ask, if Reed Richards is indeed so generous, and smart, and such a humanitarian working for the better of all mankind, why did he not dedicate time and resources to curing this common ailment? Too busy saving the world from the likes of The Wizard? Open your eyes, unworthy livestock, and know that Doom, in his grand mercy, has defeated cancer itself."

That would actually be a fantastic twist to take on the Doom-style of supervillains. Villains who start using their genius and resources for the greater good, entirely to undermine the heroes. I know Luthor has done it here and there, but I think a storyline with Doom could be especially great. I mean, isn't part of why Reed made the Fantastic Four into super-celebs to apologize for ruining their old lives? And then have Doom come in and just crush all of that through noble, humanitarian means that Reed can't legitimately fight back against.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Rhyno posted:

I still read it on occasion but him being a rotten person sullies the experience.

Yeah, a mixture of that whole thing and the hiatus it created saw me lose quite a bit of interest in it. The comic as a whole is still good, and certainly terrible people can still make worthwhile things, but it definitely feels a little tainted.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I'm probably going to have to pick Mega Man up, finally (I've been considering it for ages) but I have to wonder why they didn't just make money off the Robot Masters who only wanted to fight? Ultimate Robot Fighting, they get to be useful and do what they love, and it isn't like there haven't been a couple Mega Man fighting games. Maybe it'll come back up later, I guess.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Discendo Vox posted:

Because they would die.

You're right, it's incredibly common for professional fighters to die in the ring. That's why we outlawed mixed martial arts and boxing years ago. It's just way too dangerous!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Most of them aren't robots either.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Polaron posted:

The jury was always out on whether he actually could figure out an enemy through art or if he was just using that as a smokescreen for being that drat cunning and well-informed. I seem to recall there being just enough hints of the latter to make it plausible.

I'm pretty sure later books, when his second-in-command took over, something was said to the effect of "his private records showed the art was more for meditation and mystique" or some such.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Squidster posted:

poo poo like this is why I stopped reading Miss Marvel.

I loved the book, but stripping her out of her comfortable setting completely ruins it for me. I *liked* having a low-stakes read with a relatable character in a familiar setting, and now they have to jettison all of that because of some bullshit Big Event? I don't want grim and gritty and hopeless hard-choices - every other comic already has those. How is their newfound audience, who only read this one single book, going to react to it being shat by editorial?

I reluctantly admit those pages are still well-written and heartfelt, though.

I might be wrong here, I'm just going off the pages posted, but it didn't strike me as grim and gritty but as a sort of...Coming of age, I guess. I feel like the message extends into a metaphor about relationships in general, that you can't fix everything and everyone without taking some serious damage yourself. And possibly still failing at that. It's a mentor, gently, helping her young charge face mortality and accept that while it's not easy sometimes it's unavoidable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Nahxela posted:

Now I am sad.
I do like the creative representation of the disease, though.

My exact feelings. I feel like the art style worked especially well for it.