Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
For me, Requiem is Straczynski's crowning achievement as a comics writer. And the art is loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Freakangels is pretty good, but Planetary is his crowning achievement and will be difficult to top.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think what I love about that Death of Spider-Man cover is the word bubble they gave Ben.

"You did good, kid."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's a great scene in that arc where Batman is being snarky to Alan and Jack chews him a new one for disrespecting a legend, and says he doesn't care if Batman has a go at him, but there's no way in hell he'll let Batman talk to Alan that way, and honestly, it could go in this thread or the badass thread.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Holy poo poo, Bendis. Total loving gut-punch.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Lucifer is Carey's finest work, he was given total free reign to do whatever he wanted and god drat did he work some magic.

And he did it with Gaiman's blessing and Gaiman loved the whole thing. Bonus style points.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Peter David's run on the Hulk might be the greatest run the character's ever seen.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My understanding is that some folks REALLY love Greg Pak's run.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Written by Fraction, art by Aja. Those two got the touch, son.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That Sandman issue with Prez is loving surreal. It is proof positive that there are no bad characters, only bad writers.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
When Wade finds Butler, he's gonna wear his duodenum as a jaunty hat. And that scene hit me emotionally in a way I haven't been hit since that little kid asked Aunt May if she was Peter's mom at his funeral.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That was fuckin' great. I really enjoy the Batman Black And White I've seen.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A Real Horse posted:

This has become one of my favorite panels ever. Superman is one of my favorite heroes, and I have a hard time explaining why. This simple panel shows it off nicely.

Let me help you: He has the power of A God, but is kind, respectful, and displays humility when he would be justified in having zero. And in the hands of a good writer, it never seems phony, or corny.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A Real Horse posted:

Well yeah, but when you are talking with some people (my comic reading friends) about it they are so set in "LOL INVINCIBLE NO FUN" that it's very frustrating. Shame, since they are missing out on some excellent comics.

Most of these people have never read a good Superman comic, I assume. They do exist.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That was terrific.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What makes the current Deadpool run work is that it has some whacky stuff but the whacky stuff is funny (usually), and there's plenty of pathos and drama that has been well executed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

He read Grounded

I thought we all agreed to not acknowledge Grounded as an entity.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chinaman7000 posted:

Holy poo poo how can people have so much negativity to say about Superman saying a nice thing to a cop. This lady at McDonalds wished me a good day. The gently caress was she trying to say?! Like I'm some rube who needs to hear that? gently caress her!

It's nice that Superman still says dorky corny things. Wow. Instead of accepting that, let's insult the guy sharing the panel and get all aggressive that it isn't touching enough for you.

Hell yeah. I'm not the biggest Superman fan. But I do like some of his stuff, and you know, the stuff I have enjoyed features him being a kind man who understands and displays humility.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I have literally never read a bad Astro City story. Kurt Busiek is a drat fine writer.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Uthor posted:

I love how after most of the series of looking like a fool, he has a job to do and just goes out and proves exactly why he's Spider's editor.

And spider, who hates everybody, admits he's a good man and a good editor.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

E the Shaggy posted:

From today's Amazing X-Men #4:

Just...just got something in my eye.

Oh my god.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man #200 is about all of Peter's friends (as well as Miles and Ganke, who never met him) getting together to celebrate his life, two years after his death. At one point, to break the silence, Mary Jane asks if anyone ever thinks about what Peter would have been like had he grown up. They all go over their own ideas, accompanied by two-page spreads.

Mary Jane thinks that he would have led the Ultimates and would have been a better leader and superhero than Captain America. Aunt May thinks he would have merged his love for science and heroics by leading a team of science-based superheroes. Gwen thinks he would have become a Daily Bugle reporter so he could expose corruption and bring guys like the Kfingpin to justice. Miles likes to believe that he could have been partners, granted that Peter didn't hate him. Then it's Kitty's turn.

:smith:

Bendis is really good at stomach punch moments in USM. Doesn't quite top "Were you Spider-Man's mommy?" but pretty drat close.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chinaman7000 posted:

I liked this a lot, but I feel it works just as good, if not better and easier to read, as a short story.

I also think that USM 200 page is ridiculously great. Like the funeral stuff with Aunt May, Bendis is great at making comic book deaths more personal and less soap opera. Though it is maybe a little soap opera.

It's a little soap opera, but in an appropriate way that seems honest and realistic. It's not melodrama.

If USM was a country, I'd be nominating Bendis for Dictator for Life.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Logan's there too, and that's REALLY surprising, given their history. Fuckin' A, Wade.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Uthor posted:

Casey's father likes to get drunk and beat him. Raph is sick of it. Splinter is wise, yet hardcore.

TMNT #13 and 14

I'd have been okay with this being in the badass thread.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Found this on imugur a few minutes ago, thought some people here might appreciate it:

Apparently from a series called Common Grounds.

Astro City-esque, and I mean that in the best way. Goddamn.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Duke Igthorn posted:

Deadpool 041:

The Trapster (AKA: Paste Pot Pete) kinda sorta tried to trick Deadpool into taking his place on a mercenary team in the Middle east tasked with killing a refugee camp full of women and children. The head of the mercenaries, Potter, didn't let him go though and they were scheduled to start the killing first thing in the morning when this happened

I enjoyed this, one of my favorite comic tropes is villains having scruples and being unwilling to cross really hosed lines.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That seems awful... I'm not sure what the word I'm looking for is. Gamey? Contrived? Hypocritical, maybe?

I initially read this as Garney, and wondered what you had against former Captain America artist Ron Garney.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

That's gonna be happening to Moore for the next 100 years, I feel.

Kind of a compliment in a sense, I guess. Although I doubt he'll see it that way.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's one that's already come up here several times, I'm sure, but whatever gets the thread back on topic.

Superior Spider-Man #31. Spoilers! For the entire run, Peter's body has been hijacked by Doc Ock, and he's been acting nothing at all like Spider-Man or Peter Parker. Fights were hard, quiet, and brutal, dilemmas were always solved by doing the smart thing, never the right thing, and slowly but surely, Otto ran Peter's life into the ground, and left the city in a state where the Green Goblin and co. could try to take over the whole city. Every time he tried to stop it, Norman wiped the floor with him, and before long figured out it was Otto Octavius, not Peter Parker, that he was fighting, and Norman used that to make things even worse for 'Peter' and the city. It's not until his darkest hour that Otto realizes he's only making things worse, that he can't fix this on his own, and gives his body back to Peter.

After thirty issues of a cruel, rambling, unheroic Spider-Man who we're supposed to hate, there is an absurd amount of catharsis and "things will be okay" in just seeing him quipping again.

That is a GREAT "Oh, gently caress me" expression on Goblin's face.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Damian is such a fun character.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

I really think Kingdom Come Batman is my favorite incarnation of Batman. There's a lot to love about him, mainly in that he's finally embraced what he is and it's made him more upbeat. I also like how the whole "Batman doesn't kill!" thing is played with, not in the sense that he's killed bad guys, but in that he's become disturbingly and realistically complacent with murder happening around him. Someone blew up Arkham? Oh well, what are you going to do?

Then Superman gets through to him while desperately pleading.

I was so jazzed to see them do that final bit in Dark Knight Rises.

While I'm at it, from Kingdom Come #3, Martian Manhunter's sad state.

:smith:

One of the few great moments in Kingdom is when KC Batman meets his younger self and is all, "Kid, stop acting like an rear end in a top hat. You're not impressing anyone."

That panel with J'onn broke my loving heart when I read KC for the first time. And I liked Batman showing some goddamn compassion to him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Infinitum posted:

So anyway. This got posted on Imgur earlier, and imma crosspost it here because it's real good

Source is JLA 1997-2006 #102

Holy gently caress, I think I need to lay down a bit

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's an issue of the period where Walker is Cap where he fights a group of mutants. I cannot remember the group's name for the life of me, but their uniforms were yellow and they all had power, obviously.

And the narrative through the whole fight, is that the telepath of the team can't help as she watches her team get massacred, because, and no poo poo, this is true, Walker is an unthinking fighting machine. He mows through them like a loving chainsaw. It turned me off of Captain America for a while, even as a kid. It took Mark Waid to bring me back.That was when I realized the point of Cap: not to be a walking weapon, but to be a human ideal for Americans to aspire to.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The Resistants, who formed in opposition to the Mutant Registration Act - an act which Steve Rogers as Cap had actually publicly spoken against, which is part of the reason the Commission on Superhuman Activities was pissed at him and willing to replace him with John Walker. They were originally called Mutant Force, which is a terrible loving name. That telepath was going by Think-Tank at the time, but is probably better known as minor super-baddie Mentallo.

(my favorite thing about John Walker is that when the government made him USAgent they originally declared John Walker to be dead - they faked his assassination by a Watchdog, the guys who lynched his parents - to set him up with a new identity, which is how Johnnie Walker got his name changed to Jack Daniels)

EDIT: (Oh and P.S. they also hypnotized him into believing his parents were still alive)

Yes! The Resistants, that's right. And in hindsight, the hypnosis thing was extra lovely, although 8 year old me probably didn't think of the ramifications.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Infinitum posted:

On the topic of cancer, gonna post a good comic on the subject where everything is handled well.

Don't know the issue. (Posted on Imgur back in 2014, which is why I'm posting it in full)

Just deals with a whole range of issues really well and it's the kind of Mister Fantastic that I like to see.
(That or The Maker)

And on the subject of hospitals there's a really good one, that I can't find for the life of me, where some guy has gone to a childrens hospital dressed up as Superman or Batman or someone when a robber breaks in and threatens the kids. He subdues the guy, but gets shot in the process, kids start to freak out as the dude is clearly bleeding out, but he puts on a brave face and says he'll be right back with help, walks out the door and collapses so the kids don't see a 'superhero' die.

If anyone knows of it, could you post it

Holy poo poo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

He refused to cooperate like a good scapegoat when people were looking to blame something for Columbine.

Well, and his habit of sexually assaulting people, as well as being abusive to spouses and bandmates.

(I agree with you about the Columbine thing, FWIW)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Class move by DC, though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Requiem is really good. Best thing JMS ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That story arc destroyed me. Maybe shouldn't have read it a few months after my girlfriend died.