Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

In the Funny Panels Thread, prefect posted:

Go over to the inspiring/touching panels thread and post the parts where Loki decides to keep the dog. I almost teared up a little bit. :3:

By popular request then, here's Journey Into Mystery #632. It's a very funny issue where Loki has to get rid of seven little hellhounds that he accidentally caused the birth of. Loki passes off six of them on various Asgardians and humans (and one to Mephisto), but no one wants number seven (he spits fire, calls people bastards, and bites a lot). So he consults the All-Mothers on what to do.

But Journey Into Mystery is Loki's book, and it's pretty much all about Loki trying to do good while everyone hates him because they believe Loki to be inherently bad. He refuses to believe that "some creatures are just bad".

"The best of all the dogs" just makes me all warm and fuzzy :3:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Didn't know whether to put this in here or the Badass thread, since it's a little bit of both. To summarize the best I can, Secret Avengers #23: A crew of Adaptoids kidnapped two random metahumans (a mother and son) and kicked the Avengers' asses, but Ant-Man caught a ride on their pants. When they were going to kill the mother, O'Grady springs into action that is way over his head. The mom dies and O'Grady takes an explosive arrow to the head while escaping with the kid. "Escape" doesn't really work though, since he's in an underground city full of adaptoids without backup.

At this point, he sees Beast and Hawkeye landing (since the other Avengers found the teleporter into the city, but they don't hear his shouts for help. The adaptoids chasing him do.

e: VVV Well, they're never said to be mutants, so I didn't really know what else to go with. Super-powered individuals? I thought metahuman was still the vernacular for the big two, or did I miss a press memo?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 23, 2012

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Secret Warriors #10 diverts completely from the book's normal story of following Fury and - well, the Secret Warriors - to tell Phobos's backstory. To make a long story short, he was tricked into killing Ares, and that's kind of how he got his god powers. But after Ares resurrects (as gods are wont to do), they just spend time as father and son:

The rest of the issue deals with Ares taking Phobos to a big inter-pantheon meeting to decide whether he gets to be a full-fledged god or whether they're going to off him. They let him pass, and Phobos goes back to working for Fury, which by the way, Ares hates (which is fine since Phobos doesn't like Ares working for the Dark Avengers). But eventually, Ares dies during Siege, and soon after, Phobos is killed by the Gorgon while the rest of the Warriors escape the crumbling mountain base of HYDRA. The whole thing closes with this sweet scene:

These are from Secret Warriors #22

That little scene just makes me tear up after Ares was such a hardass in pretty much every other scene he was featured in.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, I've seen that story before, but never knew the backstory behind it until now. That is painfully sad/sweet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
As of #24 the kid made it to Black Widow and Valkyrie, but they're all still on the run trapped inside a city of killer adaptoids with no idea how to get out. Although, very unexpectedly, Ant-Man showed up on the last page, so he might not have died at all... but it's way too fishy and I suspect it's a robot.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 29, 2012

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The death of Johnny Storm was a real emotional punch, but I always though Hickman really knocked it out the next issue, showing the FF's various grieving processes. For example, sometimes you just gotta hit something, and nobody knows that better than Banner and Thor.

I think the best part is Hulk stopping Thor and then seeing that Ben isn't even doing that much damage before he just collapses.

Fantastic Four #588

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I found this scene from Wonder Woman #10 to be pretty heartwarming. The last 3 panels, I mean; the rest is set-up.

:3: D'awww.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think the Sentinel has an auto-repair function itself.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wait... "A war machine like Aaron"? Is Machine Man in Hulk?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

He's okay, though! Once Emma leaves, we find out that Quicksilver switched that piece of machinery with another from a training robot and Emma never noticed. Quicksilver then puts him back together and Sentinel repeats his prime directive.

Man, you weren't kidding about that whole "you could post the whole comic" thing. Honestly, it reminded me of the Iron Giant. My only complaint is that end. I usually dislike sad endings in comics, but drat, to just immediately go "Hey, he didn't die at all YAYYY" really cheapens the emotional impact of the moment.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Now I really want Thori and Arrow to join the Pet Avengers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RandallODim posted:

I just loved this because it's so great to see Loki and Thor have a real moment as brothers. I honestly started tearing up a bit while reading it. The ending of this issue is great for similar reasons, and I'm excited for the rest of this series.

I loved it too. Even the last part, with the "We will make it right" makes me think of a parent telling their kid not to worry about the bullies, we'll have a talk with their mother.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ChairMaster posted:

Think of it like this: some crazy scientist says the planets gonna blow up, everyone else says it won't. You gonna evacuate over that?

Yeah, but I thought Jor-El was supposed to be pretty well respected, not just "some crazy scientist". So if I were on a planet where (presumably) interplanetary travel is possible, I might just take a little vacation, spend a week over in scenic Daxam, whatever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I thought this was kinda sweet, y'know, in a weird way. The Thunderbolts are stranded in the far flung future of 2000AD WHO KNOWS WHEN and are having to lead an attack on MegaMondo-City One and all the Judges Bosses inside, killing a lot of them even though they've done no wrong. Even though technically once they go back and change the past, nothing they do in this time period will "matter", Troll is having trouble killing people.

(Don't worry, Moonstone catches her)

Dark Avengers 181

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I get that they're not really innocent, it's just that... well yeah, what you said. It's slaughter for slaughter's sake.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Just for the sake of your guys' emotional wellbeing, Clark does rescue Krypto from the Phantom Zone in the same issue.

For a second there, when Clark pulled him out and he was all covered in ice all I could think was "Oh no they're gonna kill him, Morrison you son of a bitch!"... But then he saved him and it was all good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You guys all remember Loki's dog Thori, right? Well, currently, Loki's on the run, trying to save Asgard (and the world) from the hell he's unintentionally brought onto it. He's currently gotta break into Hel, but he's being pursued.

(The Hel-Wolf there is Thori's dad, and Loki's responsible for his death. He's a little mad about it)

from Journey Into Mystery 644

...Welp, that's enough time for you to have gone and hugged your dog again. Because Kieron Gillen doesn't tug at heartstrings, he stomps hearts and makes you feel bad the next page:

Aw, you think it's gonna be sad one way, then it's sad a different way. It'd be funny if I weren't tearing up...

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 10, 2012

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Reminds me of that JLU episode where Grundy sacrifices himself and made Hawkgirl cry.

And me too. Even worse was the follow-up episode where he gets brought back mindless and she has to put him down like Old Yeller.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wonder Woman #0: A younger Diana has been taking after-hours fighting lessons from the god of War (side note: All the other Greek gods have been showing up in this series and they've all been going by their normal names, but for some reason, nobody has referred to War as Ares. It's weird). Over time, she gets skilled and War takes a shine to her. Then one night, Diana wants to cut the wooden sword poo poo take the kid gloves off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If you haven't been reading Uncanny X-Force (and my God, why not?), then here's some context: Evan here is a clone of Apocalypse. Up until recently, he didn't know that, having lived his life in a VR simulation (humorously, mimicking Superman's origin story). The entire last arc was about the new Brotherhood trying to get him to turn and become Apocalypse while all he had to talk him out of it was a beaten, healing-factor-less Deadpool. The day was saved, but Evan came out of it a little traumatized.

You know, Deadpool, for a character that sometimes seems to exist solely for wacky comedy hijinks, you're alright. :3:

Uncanny X-Force #35

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special is predominantly a funny little one-shot featuring a cult favorite character being dumb. Then at the very end, the book makes a left turn to serious town.

Merry Christmas, BSS.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Context: Betty Brant is dead and JJJ is being questioned. Any other context is explained in the scene.

Ultimate Spider-Man #19

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is just more of the same story I posted earlier, but I do love when JJJ is all upstanding and poo poo so I'll post it anyway. Here's a little further back when Betty Brant is trying to sell Jameson the story.

Ultimate Spider-Man #16.1

(It's kind of interesting in that Brant almost did crack the case. But it doesn't matter because at the end of the issue Venom kills her. Ohhhh wellll.)

e: thumbnailed for table-breakin'

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

Great now I'm disappointed it didn't end in a Hulk v Thor who can chug the most infected river water contest.

Followed quickly by the inaugural "Why did we do this?" making GBS threads/puking contest

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Winter Soldier #14. Bucky and the Avengers

So how did the rest of the Avengers take to finding out that he faked his death back during Fear Itself and didn't tell any of them?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Also all are heavily tied to SHIELD so there is a 90% chance there is a LMD of them that could have died.

There's a 90% chance the Fury in the room with them right there is an LMD

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Secret Avengers 37: So the team's fighting the "Descendants", who are super-androids. They've unleashed a virus on the world that will convert all life into cyborgs. It'll cure all disease and enhance them (a poor guy yells out to Hawkeye not to stop the virus, because without it, his cancer will kill him within a year) but at the cost of humanity's free will.

Captain Britain is fighting with the original robotic Human Torch (who has been reprogrammed and turned).

Meanwhile on the ground, all Hawkeye has to do to save the day is destroy the Orb of Necromancy, but he's having a real problem with the moral quandary of wiping out an entire new species, and it doesn't help that he's getting infected with the virus and going cyborg.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Surprised no one's beat me to this yet! Action Comics #18 is the end of Grant Morrison's run on the title, and man does it go out with a bang! Anyway, Superman is fighting Vyndktvx, a 5-Dimensional being (like Mr. Mxyzptlk) who can manipulate time and reality and is also currently inhabiting a giant Doomsday robot. Superman is also having to do this after going up against all of his foes from the prior 17 issues and having his powers severely weakened. Really, since the only way to defeat a 5-D being is to trick it into saying its name backwards, and Vyndktvx certainly won't be doing that, it looks like Superman is hosed. Until this happens:

--clipped here for unimportant stuff--

boom (cut a little more)

(Supes saved the astronauts in an earlier issue)

Sorry if this is posting too drat much, but I figured since this page had kind of a "Superman is Great" theme to it, this should really go here.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Matlock posted:

Injustice 1-3 were really, really terrible. Like, worst comics of the last decade terrible. Injustice 4 was lackluster, but then from there on out it's been amazing.

You're gonna have to significantly lower that timeframe, because the last decade still has things like Grounded, Identity Crisis, and Countdown. Injustice wishes it could touch that level of terrible.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Holy poo poo, those :frog: faces.

I personally love Kyle coming in at the end to come fire off some lasers in random directions just to make the JL look cooler.

e: Here's a moment with Superman and Lex Luthor duking it out. Superman is depowered because he just flew through a ship made of kryptonite. There's more context, but do you really need it?

Action Comics 840

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 2, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

Is there such a thing as a comic where charismatic, famous superheroes, like, run for office and try (and sometimes succeed!) to do good things?

Oliver Queen (a.k.a Green Arrow) was the mayor of his city for a while. I don't think anyone knew his identity at the time. I also never read that run, so I don't know how good of a mayor Ollie was.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fuego Fish posted:

It's not a very good comic.

I would argue that it is a good comic once you get past the initial set up, but hey, to each his own.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fantastic Four #5AU: The FF get called back from their science adventure to help with Ultron's attack on the planet. poo poo starts going south real fast. Meanwhile, back on their timeship, Franklin and Val get woken up by the automated video last goodbyes of the family starting up. Johnny takes things lightly because he doesn't think they're gonna die, and because he stresses to the kids that he knows firsthand that death isn't necessarily final. Ben comes clean to the fact that back in college, he fooled around with Reed and Doom's experiment and thus may be ultimately responsible for unleashing Dr. Doom on the world. Reed's is most touching though.

He then promptly gets killed by a bunch of self-destructing Ultrons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Atmus posted:

What's the context there? I mean I know what's going on in that page, but is there build up to it or is it out of left field? Or is there too much backstory to sum it up and I should go read FF myself?

Left field. You should read FF though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I'm not finding this touching or inspiring, sadly.

Well, this thread has pretty much been the catch-all thread for "things that evoke feelings beyond 'cool!' or 'rad!'" for a while.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Parahexavoctal posted:

Someday soon, the spaceship's microminiaturization will wear off, and Willy Lumpkin will explode.

Nah, it'll just lodge itself somewhere it's not supposed to be and give Willy an aneurysm, like that Venture Bros. episode.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hyperactive posted:

That is the phenomenal art team Gurihiru. The fact that they are not at the helm of an A-list ongoing is Exhibit A in the case against the modern American comics industry.

They're the guys who did those Power Pack minis, right? Then yeah, it's a drat crime that there's not more of their stuff out there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mike From Nowhere posted:

I actually love the idea that any time Superman's name is invoked in an argument he takes the time to show up and tell people what he thinks about everything. "I heard my name mentioned, citizen! Let me weigh in on this recycling by-law!"

"Hey man, did you see that Royals game last night? They really suck!"
*whoosh*
"Actually Sammy, the Kansas City Royals are one of the finest teams in the AL and are far overdue for the pennant. In fact, I bet they'd have it this season if it weren't for those goddamn Yankees. Christ, those overpaid assholes drive me nuts! Sorry, Sammy, got myself worked up there. I just really like Kansas sports, alright?"
*flies away*

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ya'll are doing way too much overanalyzing a man-monster tryin' to feel a heartbeat. Here's a palette cleanser where you don't even need context!

Hawkeye #11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Batman and Robin Catwoman #22: Batman just helped Catwoman save a little girl's life.