Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Cabbit posted:

Holy poo poo, Mole Man's pretty bad rear end.

Just because you chump out to the Fantastic Four doesn't mean you are a chump, in fact it pretty much means the opposite. Whenever an FF villain goes up against any other hero you can expect the hero to basically get the holy hell kicked out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Wade Wilson posted:

It'll be a clone coming over from 616. Wait and see.

I don't doubt it would be, despite the fact that there's still an unaccounted for Peter clone in Ult. Continuity

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

If Ult. Peter comes back it'll probably get treated like the Gwen resurrection "You're a clone with all the memories? Well then you're Gwen by every meaningful messure"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

prefect posted:

I thought it was "lame" just because it wasn't the Hulk who saved the day. :shrug:

I must also admit being disappointed it didn't resolve with a "HULK CHUG!" scene.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

prefect posted:

Thor could have chugged it, too. He once got in a drinking contest where he was tricked into drinking enough of the ocean that sea level changed noticeably.

Great now I'm disappointed it didn't end in a Hulk v Thor who can chug the most infected river water contest.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. It's tiresome because it basically relies on status quo shields to exist as a story. When the only reason that either A) Superman doesn't deal with drug problems or B) Green Lantern doesn't throw your rear end in jail is "DC editorial says they can't," that's not a very interesting story.

Actually that's not even the best defense of it, sure if superman dedicated every day to it he could clean up the drug trade but otherwise he's just clearing them out and it's popping back up like what happens in the real world except faster since drug cartels could roll out super strong enforcers and speedster smugglers.

The same principal applies to any organized crime in any comic universe, in Marvel they even go out of the way to show that every mob faction has a cadre of superhuman enforcers.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's not what I'd call the best place for the "When does intervention become domination?" line.

Just as a heads up feeding people with a garden of Eden doesn't intrude into domination Wonder Woman.

When they were killing Doctor Doom and Wolverine? Sure. When they were feeding people? Not really.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Phy posted:

Holy poo poo. It's us. We are Lex Luthor.

Ultimately selfish beings that believe we are being held back from greatness by an alien other? yep

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He's not a mind reader,

But he is best friends with one, or was before Nu52. Yeah Supes would face dissension and would end up having to treat us like children but on the other hand we loving act like children. How about we assume dissension is not going to be met with immediate murder when Supes is in charge and would even be tolerated untill it turns violent where they end up in the world's nicest jail.

There is a a tiny bit a space between not doing anything and turning into a Nazi and frankly Superman could probably manage it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Madkal posted:

It sounds like some posters want Superman to act like Bush did in the lead-up to the war in Iraq. Yeeeesh.

The difference being one was a powerhungry warmonger and the other is a fictional embodiment of all that is good in us.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Rhaka posted:

EDIT: I'm an idiot and this is probably the wrong thread for this! Like, the exact opposite of inspiring. Ah well.

Locke & Key, Volume 6, Issue 3.

Everything in those pages down to the deliberate choosing of words that can be misconstrued "I had to" not "I was forced" or the equally ambiguous "They made me" makes it feel like a cheap grab at my heartstrings and makes me not care.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Well poo poo for that matter why doesn't Pym start beating up cancer and/or bombarding it with Pym particles. Maybe a solid decade of literally fighting cancer will end the "I'll be the one to really address the domestic violence." plague that haunts him.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Drifter posted:

I wonder if they always do backwards somersaults because you sure as gently caress can't stand up normally if you sit on a cape, super-strength or not.

Aside from both of them being able to fly it's not that hard to get up after sitting on a cape, there's generally material bunched up towards the lower back that allows some slack and from there you roll to one side and plant you hand, like a fat guy getting up.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

priznat posted:

I never understood how all that blood could transfer onto the tablecloth. Oh well, interesting visual.

Nobody ever said it only happened in the library.

To the windows, to the walls and all that my good chap.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Rhyno posted:

That or he's furiously scribbling the outline for "BLOOD RAPER BOOK ONE" all over his desk.

Pretty sure that was already a Spawn villian, his superpower was having a.i.d.s.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

Here you go
Death of Spider-man Fallout 1

That moment paints such a picture to me because you never saw Peter save her and that lets you know Peter was being a hero even when we weren't watching, all we really got was the highlight reel.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

That is all time one of my favourite Batman stories from my favourite Justice League run. (Yes, I prefer the Kelly/Mahnke run, even above the Morrison/Porter or Waid runs.)

The line Batman uses to Plastic-Man about being a good dad, I have no fooling used that line twice in the real world to my friends, and meant it. So thanks Batman (and maybe Joe Kelly), for making me seem like a wise, sage figure.

As for the scene it wasn't until my second reading, but to figure out what was happening there (and it is indeed, Batman tries to give Eel an oppertunity to man up and reconnect with his son, he chickens out and Batman has to do it instead.)
That being said this issue occurs early on in Joe Kelly's run and it's a part of Plastic Man's arc. After this he is frozen, shattered but kept alive for about 2,000 years and the one thought that keeps him going is how he wants to reconnect with his son. And as soon as he does get put back together, he does reconnect.
Then it culminates in a big arc where Plastic Man is the one hero who can save the world from Martin Manhunter.
Overall it was a great arc.

I'll admit to still being butthurt that the "Funny" Plasticman series decided to take a poo poo all over that character arc instead of just ignoring it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

But...he survived?

But Juston and Sentinel didn't :smith:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

achillesforever6 posted:

Here's the one where Superman is dreaming and meets Daniel

And the followup

Of course Dream likes him, anybody as boring as Superman has put a plenty of people to sleep.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's overplayed because it's the most common shocking death humans see. People fall down all the time and just pop back up with nothing but bruised pride to the point where it's all we expect to happen, so when we don't it reminds us of our frailty more then any other death. You can't write it off as "it'll never happen to me" as easily as other accidents because everybody falls down and you can do it anywhere there's gravity.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I recommend the series it's not as black and white at the beginning as most falling heroes stories are. Supes dosen't just flip a switch to evil and Batman isn't always shown as being perfect. I mean the riot where Dick dies comes off as being triggered by Batman being pissed Superman is in HIS city and interfering. Superman wasn't rounding them up for laser eye lobotomies he was just moving them out of Arkham because it had proven time and again to be as secure as a twist tie.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is a joke, right?

Nope. Batman crashed all the major networks and JLA computers so Damien and Cyborg set up Superman's twitter account while stranded in space.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Drifter posted:

Because it's a comic book I assume the little kid dies and the dude is now out for revenge or something?

Shoe hasn't dropped yet but the kid is throwing up death flags left and right.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Somebody decided the mists were too foolproof, so sometimes it turns you into a dog.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Uthor posted:

Well, it's creepy as gently caress that the Inhumans keep those that don't transform usefully from the mists as slaves in their basement.

Unless you are royalty then you get to be a pet.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

TwoPair posted:

I'm pretty positive he can get drunk, ' cause I've seen plenty of pictures in the funny panels thread/around the internet of him inebriated, he just has to drink in much higher quantities then most humans to get that way.

Most of those are from before his healing factor power creep.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Also he's been the victim of a lot of boring writing. A whole lot of boring writing.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Rhyno posted:

That's not how Superman's hearing powers work. His hearing is accelerated.

Yeah, figure that out.

I hear at the speed of light and see at the speed of sound!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The Purge 2 counters that by having government agents participate in the purge because not enough regular people were and hinting that it's always been that way.

I only know because I watched the purge 2 after being told it was a good Punisher movie.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It felt planned out, he knew he'd never keep Peter dead and wanted some measure of control over it. I also enjoyed that Peter having apparently come back from the dead freaks right the gently caress out about it and the idea that the Oz formula has made him immortal like Osborn instead of the usual "Welp back now time for a splash page and to forget about it completely".

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

"I've been talking poo poo about that mass-murder Spider-man for years and he hasn't killed me yet, there's nothing to be afraid of!"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The joke told was so old the standard humorous response was to not acknowledge it was a joke.

IE.

Why'd the chicken cross the road?

Why do any of us do anything? I mean is free will real or are we all just responding in a predetermined manner laboring under the delusion we have any influence in our choices?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

Maybe it's nostalgia considering that his Spider-Man was what I grew up with, but beyond Sins Past and the 9/11 issue I thought JMS's Spider-Man is by far among the best depiction of the character.

It was one of the best, most of the complaints are continuity bitching about bringing in the totemic stuff like it ruined the run/character.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I am apparently the only person that thinks Ewing frequently to dives headfirst into melodrama and i have to admit that was actually a good moment. The call center scene not so much.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

There's a limit I think he frequently goes over. I take syrup on my pancakes not frosting.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Drifter posted:

How is that even possible, I thought they made all the theaters play it digitally?

I believe you had to play it digitally on at least one screen but as long as you did that you could get regular reels. It was basically a ploy to get digital's foot in the door.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I always found the explanations for hampering Vader pointless because they are based around half a fight toying with an old man and two fights with his son who he isn't trying to kill.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

There was a hero fight and it made it easier to distinguish sides in splash pages if Cap's team wore all grey.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It was actually really good subversion of the every contingency is covered Bat-God, Batman strands them in space on the JLA satellite cut off from every government or big news outlet but a three second window of communication to twitter does him in.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

e X posted:

They specifically used Cyborg, since he is half robot and all,iirc.

And Batman had a counter to that, it was a "you have however many second burst then we are locked out again" scenario.