Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
Pretty much the entire Marvelman reboot as Miracleman by Alan Moore/Neil Gaiman is just this enormously emotional "what does it really mean to be a superhero? where do my feelings go?" thing that rends and tears at the heartstrings throughout. Tremendously powerful, and I wish my external hard-drive containing all my comics hadn't just died a week ago, because I'd love to screenshot a few choice panels to illustrate the weight and power of this series. If you love what these panels do to you, and haven't read it, definitely pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Apocron posted:

Man I'm a little bugged that you spoiled the end of the series just to post that one picture. I'm sure it would have had just as much impact (for the people who care who are the ones responding) with no spoiling for people if you just posted the picture and spoke vaguely about it like everyone is about Ex Machina's ending (another series I hope to get round to eventually). As it is you spoiled the the series and I don't really care for Yorick because I never got to build to that scene and now I don't much care to.

A good point, but the series is still definitely worth it.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Bluetooth human being posted:

It amazes me that this is the same guy that brought us XXXombies. If you had told me three years ago he'd be writing one of the best comics ever I would not have believed you.

I hate to be the voice of dissent, and I'll probably get poo poo on for this, but as much as many of the panels in this thread have been heart-rendingly emotional, I felt like that last one was very painfully contrived and overdone. You are all well entitled to be moved by it, and I mean, poo poo, if it moves you, it moves you, but this one really stands out to me as being a really over-the-top, intentional tear-jerker. Maybe I'm just a tad jaded, and I've definitely not been following X-Men (I had no idea angel and psylocke were a thing) but that seemed pretty disingenuous.

edit: Welp, goes to show what I know.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 18, 2011

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

It's a few years old, and way more "badass" than "touching and inspiring", but I've always been partial to Ellis' No Hero.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

I think you mean "classic". Growing up on comics in the early 80's, that poo poo was exactly why I even read the funny pages. The very water itself is poisonous! Fear not, citizen, for I, Thor, God of Thunder, shall summon the very winds of Asgard into a tremendous cyclone to do away with the threat that faces thee and thine! You've got to be loving kidding if you think superheroes using silly powers in a comic book to save lives is "lame".