Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Exiles is the epitome of too many chef's ruining the stew. Every new writer that came in had to put their own mark on how the back end worked and by the end the whole thing was a jumbled mess.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does the artist use poser to suplement his art? Because I see that Daredevil in the last panel and all I can see if Cap from that thread a few years ago.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Really, I felt kinda cheated with it. Like he had just sort of grown tired of the concept and stuffed all the notes he wanted to hit into those last few issues.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Don't bother with anything from Avatar. Anything he did finish he only paid half attention to, and Doktor Sleepless, his flagship with the company, is DOA without any further resolution of the plot.

edit: I take that back, pick up Crecy, it's really good, and a Graphic novel instrad of a serial.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 5, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
When did the whole Galactus' real name of Galen come about?

Aslo, did anhyone else get a sort of Destruction vibe between Franklin's look and art/message of those panels?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gaz-L posted:

Hard as it may be to believe, but Morrison does not have an exclusive on that idea. And I'd say Waid has way more love for the Man of Steel than Grant, so he's entitled to his little moment of precooked shmaltz.

Not to mention in the first issue Waid said the story was a result of a brainstorming session with Grant.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Gotta say the design of the gods in Wonder Woman is just cool as hell. If you told me a year ago that Hades with a candle for a head would be one of my new favorite looking comic characters I would have said bullshit, but here we are.

Except for whomever she hulk is, Power Ranger villain is not a good look.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gavok posted:

Nintendo Power volume 285. At the very end of the issue.

:smith:

What game is the poster for at the top of page two. It's tickling a memory.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cabbit posted:

I don't think there aren't any posters on the top of page two. It looks like they're standing in front of a window on in the first panel, at sundown.

I imagine the sun might be familiar. :v:

The sun? Familiar to comic book nerds?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

fatherdog posted:

And no, it's not anime. for one thing, when was the last time you saw anime with ubiquitous gigantic lips.

Can we compromise and say it manga drawn by a guy who has a fetish for anime and lips?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mister Roboto posted:

Not in the Ultimates universe.

Not the same person in 616 either.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Don't mind if i do!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I can agree with that, Lucifer highlights a lot of Carey's strengths but also his biggest weakness. His protagonists alwts seem to stop just a half step short of perfect, there's never any tension where they're involved. They always have the perfect plan for any occasion.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Why is Samson dressed like Ken from Streefighter? Was he on his way to a convention?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Man, if you add a "Girl," to the beginning of the first bubble it sounds the part of a 90's R&B song where they break it down and talk straight to the listener.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Flesh Forge posted:

Not to ruin it or anything but I'm pretty sure Mano Negro (the Black Man) is an avatar of Nyarlathotep there. :can:

La Mano Negra means The Black Hand. It was a name given to a few terrorist groups in the early 19th- 20th century. He could still mean The Black Man, the translaters english is pretty bad. I love how the mistranslation of 'The Covenant made Flesh' as 'The Confirmation made Meat' gives the story a much more sinister twinge.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Choco1980 posted:

For those who don't know, as it is only mentioned outside the comic proper, Fiddler's Green is pretty much early 20th century philosophic mystery writer G. K. Chesterton. Completely. I'd have to check dates but he may BE him, considering when the Dreaming kinda shut down and everyone left.

I picked up one of his books after I first found that out. Dude is basically the Glenn Beck of a hundred years ago.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dammit Who? posted:

I dunno, cancer stories in superhero books always bug me. Like, sure, you don't want a wizard to cast a spell on you, that's rational. Maybe it'll give you goat legs or maybe the guy'll turn up in a year and want your firstborn. Wizards are horrible. But it was "the fault of someone he can bludgeon", because Thor knows like nine regular ol' Earth scientists that could shrink him on down and let him punch her tumors back to health.

Someday I want to see a member of a superhero's supporting cast get a serious illness and be like "fucker you get on the phone with Reed Richards yesterday".

Or read Hickman's FF run where exactly that happens.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Exit Strategy posted:

Pretty sure my insurance doesn't pay for Tiny God Punches Heart Until It Shrinks The gently caress Down.

Thanks a lot Obamacare.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sure, how about Clint's Christmas special-induced fever dream in the two month late Hawkeye #17?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ConfusedUs posted:

I loved the parts of Hawkeye where Clint was hanging out with Grills and being "Hawkguy".

Speaking of, did the last issue every ever come out?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alhazred posted:

This is my KC moment:

I can't see this and not see the ruined panels where Superman freaks out because Billy licked his hand.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alhazred posted:

That doesn't seem to be the case with Snorre Sturlason though.

He wrote it with respect for the takes he grew up with but he was still born almost 200 years after Iceland converted to Christianity so there was plenty of time for oral tradition to warp the original stories.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Plus, like just mentioned about the Eddas, what we think of as combined mythologies were really stitched together folk tales from a wide variety of sources over hundreds of years. Zeus was an rear end in a top hat and a gently caress up mainly because he was the patron of Olympia which had it's heyday fairly early in the city state period, so as other cities eclipsed Olympia they told their own stories that made him look foolish and by association the people of the Olympia. Just look at what a lot of us were taught about Rome, they didn't have vomitoriums or wild orgies every night and they didn't collapse because welfare efforts made the citizenry weak and lazy and unable to fight off invaders. Most of the 'scholarly' research was done during the Victorian era when the Queen of England was convinced she was Bodhicitta, famed enemy of Rome, reborn.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Nobunaga Oda was going to convert all of Japan to Christianity but Rome wouldn't give Japan special dispensation to allow divorce due to the importance of it in their politics so he ended up refusing. He then crucified 24 priests and kicked everyone but a few Jesuits out after learning of plans by Spanish missionaries to invade and force the conversion. For a long time Japan Catholicism was this very weird mix of Shinto and Buddhist beliefs mixed in.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LordSaturn posted:

for my own sanity: you meant Boudicca, right?

is this not a shitpost? I thought this was a joke about Henry VIII

Yes, Boudicca, I couldn't quite remember the spelling so I started typing an approximation and went with the first hit. And no, the Jesuits straight up lobbied the Pope to allow the Japanese special dispensation to divorce. This was during the high point of the Catholic/Protestant civil wars in Europe so there was a mad rush on both sides to colonize new lands for both more believers and money to pay for the various wars. Portugal, where most Jesuits came from, was making money hand over fist facilitating the silk trade between Japan and China after China closed it's borders to Japan following a failed invasion. To this day there's heavy Portugese influence all throughout coastal Asia, from Macau which started as a Portugese settlement to cuisine, Tempura and Katsu are both loan European loan words, Tempura is from Tempore referring to the Latin name for the Catholic restriction on eating meat on Fridays and Katsu is form the Portugese word for cutlet.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Edit: Oh sorry, I didn't realize that was the name of an actual series.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 5, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CzarChasm posted:

Yeah, there's some illustrated titties in the first link, and one butt shot at least so I'm gonna say NSFW.

Though pouring a can full of ants into the panties of a restrained woman is a new one for me.

Yeah, Hate-Monger and Mr. Clean are into some weird poo poo.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe the first one at least.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well you know it's an obvious fantasy because the previous generation actually wants to help fix a problem they created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know it got some screentine right after CW2 when she starts slipping over guilt from killing Tony and getting Rhodey killed.