Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's amazing. Is this in trade yet? I might have found a nice stocking stuffer for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

redbackground posted:

Isn't a tweet by default available for the whole world to see?
Supes didn't want to spend money buying a promoted tweet.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

W.T. Fits posted:

So yeah, that kid's probably not long for this world, especially if his big bro is neglecting his supernatural vigilante duties to take care of him instead. :smith:
I'm a surprising twist. The older bro dies and the kid become Ghost Rider: tot of vengeance.

Ever seen a demonic Big Wheel?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

Wolverine and Punisher are pretty distinct in their philosophies and views of killing, and I think they really shouldn't get along (another thing Rucka hosed up), but legally speaking, Wolverine is still a mass murderer.

Wolverine is the CIA spook torching Banana Farm protestors because we need the region to be stable.

Castle is the bugfuck PTSD former soldier who gets denied visitation rights to his kids and decides to Columbine the lawyers.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, figure that out.
He has X-ray ears! :v:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

That's right up there with tactile telekinesis.

Quiet Jimmy, my Hearikinesis is picking up something!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

hiddenriverninja posted:

Jeez, that's depressing.
What's really depressing is

IRREDEEMABLE SPOILERS INBOUND
Plutonian, the Superman analogue, finds out that he isn't an actual person or alien, but a probe-program that n-th dimensional aliens launched to catalogue Earth... only the probe comes across a really depressed mother who lost her son and decides to incarnate as a new child to placate the mother.

Problem is the mother lost the original child when her postpartum depression caused her to murder the kid. . . So she's stuck with an invincible superbaby that seemingly taunts her attempts to dispose of it/serves as a reminder that she's a terrible broken person.

Dude never had a chance for a normal life.

But yeah, the concept of "Superman, but everyone is a bag of dicks and takes him for granted" was pretty fun while it lasted.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

e X posted:

By the way, how did it end? I stopped after they brought him back from the heat death of the universe.
It gets pretty dumb. Like remember how stupid his intergalactic prison arc was with all the pointless one-upmanship that felt written by literal children? Worse than that.

Though, the last page kind of redeems the thing. Kind of

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

priznat posted:

Is Irredeemable better than The Boys? I liked the concept on that one but it went off the rails somewhat.. And drat it got disturbing.
The Boys is pretty consistent. Its a gorefesr cynicbomb from start to end.

Irredeemable starts off well but goes on for too long. There's a whole arc that's entirely forgettable. Basically once you have the crazy Superman not instakilling folks it gets bland.

Also, LoL at the Lois Lane analogue turning around and saying HEy NEWSROoM, THIS rear end in a top hat IVE BEEN DATING IS THE PLUTONIAN. FIRE UP THE PRESSES CUZ IM ABOUT TO WIN ME A PULITZER!

And yes, the worst part of the Irredeemable ending is 'hey, so these guys detonated a bomb whose radiation will kill all life on earth. You can basically manipulate reality, but don't like wish it away. Instead help me make metal as dense as a white dwarf in a black hole, then run it around the earth at superspeed. Great now you have super cancer from the radiation. I'm sending you across the dimensions so you can get a happy ending because you were essentially made to GET poo poo On CONSTANTLY in this reality. Bye!'

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 13, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Not Ultimate Reed. And probably not WonderMan...

But oddly enough the Beyonder does.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Calaveron posted:

I'm just trying to picture how making a book with like, actual, photo-realistic pictures ancient makes it so you think zebras have fly wings.
Would you pass up the opportunity to restore dignity to the poor platypus? Or perhaps make a bitching WAR OTTER?

Fly-winged Zebras and Predator-horned Elephants are the least abominable abomination on my garden of eden list, bucko.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gavok posted:

Especially since they include some T3 stuff in the plot like John's knowledge that he'll one day be killed by an Arnold-looking Terminator.
Yeah, in a movie full of absolutely dumb poo poo, that pretty much came close to taking the shitcake.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gynovore posted:

I hate myself for laughing at this.
I pictured a Downs Baby whose mutant power is having a hyperbrain and now I'm going to hell.

INTRODUCING THE STRANGEST, MOST SENSATIONAL X-MUTANT YET:

MASTER MUTARDO!! :thumbsup:

Edit for content:
Just looked at my shelf and I wanted to give a shout out to Locke and Key. Specifically in the last issue where the eldest son has a heart to heart with his father, and the dad is pretty contrite about failing him. L&K did a great job with mundane family drama, I think.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 17, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

It's pretty impressive how seriously the makers of Godzilla movies take their stupid campy monster movies.
Maybe since it started as a condemnation of the horrors of atomic war....?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

The "taking yourself seriously as a metaphor" ship sailed right about the time Jet Jaguar got involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8GUDjP1pWM

He's just a metaphor for the promise of industrialization as a method to cope with this horrible atomic curse!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yvonmukluk posted:

Granted, he had retired before her origin, but it shows it can be done.
And then Spider-Verse happened and... :argh:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

redbackground posted:

Yup, it's a great throwaway sad and comedic beat.
Dang. I thought it was 14 in "dog years" (so like a 3 year old mutt dying). A 14 year old dog is just sadness.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Chaos Hippy posted:

Yeah, that was probably the worst part of that fuckawful movie.
In defense of that scene, WW hears the admission and says something like "You should feel powerful. I feel powerful when I wear this" to somewhat normalize the effect of the confession.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

Script says 10 o clock, panels show 10:45 and 10:51.

Peter doesn't know how to tell time.
J3 always keeps his clock 45 minutes ahead so he can yell at his employees about their deadlines.

No Prize Plz.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Infinitum posted:

Please stop making me like DC
Cooke and Morrison's All-Star really show how the Gods Among Men aspect of DC's insane power creep can be well written when you embrace the light parts of the characters.

I mean, just imagine if the BvS fight was staged to gently caress with Luthor, just to hilight what a pretty, inadequate Aspie fucker he is. A little self absorbed man hopelessly outclassed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

drrockso20 posted:

You're thinking of Christopher Kent, who was Zod's kid that Clark and Lois adopted for a while

Wasn't he also 1/2 of the Fabulous Night-wing and FlameBird?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think Waverider discovers an anomaly in time which he deduces as The Crisis/Multiverse. But yeah, it's a softy-soft realignment that didn't really do much to DC as a whole aside from nudging the JSA into Legacy status (though it tinkered with individual character history: Bats doesn't arrest/confront Joe Chill in his personal history, Guy Gardner has alien heritage now, there's more of a sliding time to stories since Superman's appearance is pegged to a nebulous '10 years ago' instead of a hard date, and a bunch of possible/alternate futures get wiped).

Final Crisis was also supposed to be "DCU gets reimagined by SuperWish to be a more hopeful place" but then they ran dick first into, like, Blackest Night after that and no one got Morrison's memo.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 21, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Isn't that how we got the Adam West Batman though?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

team overhead smash posted:

Didn't it get cancelled or put on indefinite hiatus due to lack of sales?
DC has stated that it's committed to giving it a (12?) Issue, two arc publication schedule. The first arc is done, and even though DCYou crashed spectacularly, they say they're going to finish what they started since its a fan darling.

It'll probably do pretty well in trades for a few years but be kind of a hidden gem. Kind of like NYX.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's the one. The people of that world really were like walking Reddit posts. "Oh GOD you dented my Yacht saving the world from that alien DoomEngine. HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PAY FOR THIS?!"

There's like two or three arcs in the run that are good: the initial 5-7 issues where the scope of Plutonian's rampage is revealed, the coverup story about the sonic plague that starts the guy's break, and the background issues that show what walking cocklords the entirety of that world were.

Irredeemable is a good look into what a superman-level character, without superhuman empathy/patience/understanding/optimism, would be faced with in a realistic world.

Astro City is a good look into what a superman-level character would face when confronted with the existential opportunity cost of his abilities (i.e. that even a moment of relaxation would necessitate his absence from an emergency situation), even in a world rich with superhumans.

Samaritan's depiction is both impressively hopeful and maddeningly depressing.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WickedHate posted:

It almost makes me feel bad for the government, the right wing occupying your buildings, the left wing calling you baby killers that needs to be dismantled, jeez, rough job.
Then you go on and invent things that revolutionize the sad, lonely lives of the people you serve (Velcro, the internet) and they use it on kids shoes or to bitch about poo poo in a global forum.

:smith:

Also, we could probably fill the thread with a bunch of Superknockoffs like Hyperion, Sentry, Plutonian, Supreme, etc.