Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I first read New Frontier about five years ago, when I was fifteen, and for some reason I just never liked it. I finally reread it about four/five days ago, and that was the exact moment I realised my fifteen year old self was a giant idiot and that this was truly something special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Hickman's run over yet, and if so what issues of what series' are part of it? I loved what I read of it a lot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uh, wow. I guess that's meant to be a homage, but it just comes off as a huge unsubtle ripoff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is potentially a pretty insulting question (I don't know how much of a comic person you are, outside of reading Irredeemable), but have you read All-Star Superman? The concept for that page is clearly stolen from there, except made way more obvious and such.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's the second Waid Daredevil segment posted in this thread (the first was the one with the school trip in the snow) that I've thought seemed really overbearing and cheesy and not all that good at all. I want to try and get into Waid's run because I hear good things and the art is nice but both bits posted in here have really put me off.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boxman posted:

IIRC, this is actually how Tim got to be Robin. He figured out Batman = Bruce Wayne, and also noticed that Batman was getting more brutal. He figured that Batman needed a Robin to keep him connected to the world, and volunteered for the job.

This is right, but it was a good ten years or so before all the ultra-angsty evil Bruce Wayne

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's easily my favourite Achewood ever and it really bums me out that Onstad burnt out on it after that (not been paying a lot of attention since it came back).

e: ok nothing since June, for the love of god

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 19, 2012

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God, I really hated Howard Porter on JLA. He pulled off the sense of scale well, but his designs are just ugly as poo poo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Should I still read Lucifer if I loved Sandman and the character in that series but have never found Mike Carey to be anything more than a boring blah writer

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have found every single Mark Waid Daredevil panel posted in this thread to be unbearably saccharine :( I mean that one there was doing really well up until the end when Waid felt the need to have the Doctor over-explain the whole concept. Nowhere near as bad as that bit where all the kids save Daredevil when they're stuck in the snow or whatever, but I still haven't seen a so-called "emotional" moment from Waid's Daredevil that hasn't seemed completely cheesy. And I still tear up just at the very first issue of his FF run.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is that seriously Jae Lee art? Why has he been doing that SHADOWS EVERYWHERE nonsense for years when he can pull out work like that?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That makes far more sense. Lee is credited as the artist on the website, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's really nice to see that they're putting effort into Deadpool stories since his recent ascent to the mainstream and not just having them be 100% lol monkeycheese even though that would probably still sell just as well

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The problem with that panel is just that it's a lovely, lame panel that doesn't belong anywhere near this thread. Does anyone here really manage to find enough emotion from that one corny panel to call it touching and/or inspiring?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RandallODim posted:

I actually prefer the animated version of this scene from the All-Star Superman adaptation, largely because punctuating that conversation with a full panel of Superman slugging Lex into unconsciousness seems really out of place and gratuitous, especially compared to him not attacking a powerless and defeated Lex at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RfUUJH2TvU

This is....horrible. Are all DCAU movies like this? The thought of someone being introduced to this story by watching the movie version actually makes me a little sad now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what writers/runs are popular on other comic forums? Do they just constantly post about Deadpool and poo poo?