Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

"Here, hold my Annihilus."

Only in the context of actual Fantastic Four comics pages can that be anything but sexual innuendo. I need to read this and find out why Johnny has a pet Annihilus.

Johnny also has his own Annihilation Wave.

You should really just read all of Hickman's Fantastic Four/Future Foundation run as its been very good. He even manages to pull off a "death and return" scenario without copping out and making the death scene meaningless in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bown posted:

Is Hickman's run over yet, and if so what issues of what series' are part of it? I loved what I read of it a lot.

It starts at Fantastic Four 570 (although technically he did the Dark Reign Fantastic Four mini first) runs through 588 where the series ends. Its replaced by Future Foundation until issue 11 and then back to Fantastic Four name and numbering with issue 600. Future Foundation is now its own spin off series starting with issue 12.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

redbackground posted:

On a side note, any fan of Ennis who isn't reading Fury MAX, is missing out on his best work since Punisher MAX. It is so good.

A new Fury MAX or his old Fury MAX mini? Because the old one was pretty terrible and an example of his worst habits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Breetai posted:

No-one would ever have the stones to do it, and there would be continuity problems due to a bunch of one-off series that depict him before SHIELD (although the Ultimate universe may have a shot...), but I would love to see it revealed that Nick Fury does not exist, and has never existed; it's life-model-decoys all the way down.

Secret Warriors reveals where the first LMDs came from and its kind of disturbing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain America's adopted son Ian confronts his sister Jet Black Zola.

Captain America 6

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think my biggest problem with Lucifer is that after a while the actual character of Lucifer kind of takes a back seat in the series. The ending makes up for it but for a good chunk its the "Supporting cast" show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Go read Hickman's run on Fantastic Four/Future Foundation too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also Leverage was created/executive produced/written by John Rogers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

gfanikf posted:

From an April 1950 PSA in a Superman Issue
Truth, Justice, and The American Way.
http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/17533/KNOW-YOUR-PUBLIC-SERVICE-ANNOUNCEMENT-ADS#.UdG7DPnVAWZ

I was kind of confused for a second by the wording in one of those panels and thought Superman brought back the ghost of the racist kid's brother. Maybe he did considering how surprised racist kid is to see his brother.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ANGR is kind of different because he's not "Ghost Rider" Ghost Rider. He literally is the All New Ghost Rider.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Black Bolt is actually off in hiding, pretending to be dead. It would have been Medusa doing that, which is probably more of a mindfuck.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoPair posted:

No the Inhumans are exposed to their superpower-granting-gas totally on purpose.

It's also the backbone of their entire society.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was another Inhuman guy who had teleporting powers but it involved going into his giant mouth.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder how much they messed with the design to get Jack Kirby's name right in the center above Cap's head.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

qntm posted:

Apples poop?

EVERYONE POOPS

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What's the deal with the toothbrush? All the rest are actual comic book characters so I have to assume it is too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Say what you will about JMS being a lovely writer but he wrote the hell out of the issue where Aunt May finds out Peter is Spider-Man.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It doesn't matter how many times people say that its good, I'll never take that series seriously because its goddamn Mega Man.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chaos Hippy posted:

I might be misunderstanding, but are you saying that repetitive art is a Bendis thing?

He scripts scenes that are the same panels over and over again and has done it with multiple artists which means it's all on him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

That was another comic. I feel like it was an Alan Moore (or a writer like him) that put a Superman-level character in a world full of ungrateful jerks. He eventually snaps, as they always do.

Dark Horse did a similar thing with their shared universe in the 90s. There was a hero called Titan who was basically Superman but raised by an abusive father and worked for the government but he eventually snaps because everyone constantly tries to manipulate him. Like how he is called in to protect a prominent businessman but it turns out the guy was only in danger because he was a drug dealer or how he's brought in to stop a metahuman gang in another city but is called off once the war leaves the rich part of town and goes back to the slums.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Calaveron posted:

This is the stupidest goddamn thing I've read this month

It's stupid but not like it came out of nowhere. A constant of his run was Osborn "dying" and coming back to life. Like the previous time that he died his goddamn head got removed but he still returned.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is he wearing a sport jacket, over a hoodie, over a turtleneck?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Is that the dude with the massive, shapely manass?

Yes, which I guess they decided would be too distracting because you never saw it on the actual show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've said that for the comic it is going to be about Snagglepuss and Huckleberry Hound as playwrights in 50s NYC.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sure are a lot of comics where Superman basically says Trump sucks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Then it just steals the ending from Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

God. That whole storyline is just heartbreaking. The whole series is all about loss and its aftermath. And about recovery and those personal moments of grace.

Tom King is just knocking it out of the park with his run of Batman. Batman is still broken and he knows he is, but he's the most human he's ever been in King's issues.

If people like his comic books I highly recommend the novel King wrote a couple of years ago, A Once Crowded Sky.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I hope you can find it at retail. It sold out at Diamond before release and they haven't announced a reprint.

Or you could just buy it digitally.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Why is Video Game Adaptation Injustice better than mainline DC?

Probably because it is off in its own little corner which frees Tom Taylor from being micromanaged to death by corporate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Those are cute but you could honestly make them about just a random cartoonist and they would work the same.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lois is cheating on me!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Wait, there is new Sandman stuff? :monocle:

DC has a new initiative called "Sandman Universe" which was spearheaded by Gaiman (he came up with the concepts but isn't writing any of the ongoing series) and is spinning off into 4 comics.

House of Whispers
Writer: Nalo Hopkinson
Illustrator: Dominike Stanton
The Houses of Mystery and Secrets are joined by the House of Whispers, after a woman named Latoya's girlfriend and sisters accidentally conjure the voodoo deity Erzulie, steal its essence, and cause their home to crash into the Dreaming.

The Books of Magic
Writer: Kat Howard
Illustrator: Tom Fowler
The Books of Magic is a sequel to the 1990 limited series. Timothy Hunter is torn between using his magic skills for good or evil. Magic gets in his way at school, but a substitute teacher offers to teach Tim how to master his powers.

The Dreaming
Writer: Si Spurrier
Illustrator: Bilquis Evely
The Dreaming focuses on supporting characters from The Sandman, such as Lucien the librarian, Matthew the Raven, and Nuala of Faerie. In the series, these characters try to search for Dream as his kingdom falls into darkness.

Lucifer
Writer: Dan Watters
Illustrators: Max Fiumara and Sebastian Fiumara
Lucifer Morningstar—blind, suffering from amnesia, stuck inside the body of an old man, and living in poverty—is trapped in a town where no one can leave. However, a policeman suffering from brain cancer in Los Angeles has made it his top priority to find Lucifer and kill him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

Dumb question - who is Gabby?

Basically in All New Wolverine Laura (X-23) learns that an evil company was creating clones of her who don't feel pain but don't have any of her powers. Gabby was the youngest and also it turns out that she did get the powers. She moves in with Laura and goes on adventures with her.

Also Daken gives her the superhero name Honey Badger.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Catfishenfuego posted:

I for one want a story that truly grasps the grandiose seriousness of Norse mythology, perhaps by adapting the story where Thor dresses up as a hot woman for a fake marriage and beats up giants to get his hammer back or the story where Loki fucks a horse.

Dark Horse is supposed to be putting out a comic version of Gaiman's Norse Mythology book which has those stories in it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Infinitum posted:

"A robot! And we all know that they don't have any souls, so now I can kill him!"

That was a plot point in Azzarelo's Lex Luthor miniseries. Lex creates a hero for Metropolis (who is secretly a robot) and then manufactures a conflict between her and Superman, who he knows will figure out that she's a robot and not hold back.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mean, he still blasts a huge hole in her with his heat vision which is something he wouldn't do to a living thing to stop them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah Tom King was the one who brought back Kite Man, gave him the catchphrase and then that backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spoilering since it just came out yesterday but these are the final two pages of "Finding Batman" a story written by Kevin Conroy about his life and career up until he got cast in Batman: The Animated Series. He talks about how difficult it was being gay and in the closet during the 70s and especially the 80s when AIDS started tearing through the NYC acting scene. I definitely recommend reading the entire thing in this year's DC Pride collection but still wanted to post these.

(Chris, who he mentions on the last page, is his brother who suffers from severe schizophrenia)