Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Something that never struck me until just now: Is the John Black character supposed to be the Planetary universe Bruce Wayne? Not just a 'similar' character, but really that universe's Bruce Wayne, just by another name, the same way we have a Joker and Dick Grayson appear.

The pair of characters have similar histories, very similar looks, the centering of the story around Crime Alley might not have been a coincidence, and even his name itself could be construed as a Bruce Wayne/Dark Knight nod (John as in 'Wayne', Black as in 'Dark'.)

It's not just characters meeting different versions of Batman, it's also about a perfect Batman intervening on a broken Bruce Wayne.

Or maybe I'm looking too much into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Along those lines, wasn't there a Spectre storyline where a guy becomes a vampire and feels forced to feed for the first time, resulting in him killing his victim. In his guilt he locks himself away for centuries to punish himself, I think surrounded by objects that hurt him and keep him from escaping to hurt others?

Finally the Spectre comes along and tries to tell him he's tortured himself enough, he is forgiven and may pass on, but he refuses to accept that and remains locked away?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Madkal posted:

One of my favourite takes on a villains (sort-of) redemption was the Riddler, who became a private investigator. It was such a great new take on the character that I was really pissed off when it was thrown away so he could become just another boring villain for Batman to fight again.

I think it helps because in a lot of ways the Riddler comes off as a pathetic Batman villain who doesn't have the terror, power, or madness of some of Batman's other rogues.

Even the other villains treat him like garbage.

Having Riddler become a sort of fringe Anonymous type of criminal/activist teaming up with Anarky or something, that could have maybe fun and interesting. You could have Riddler see his relationship with Anarky as his attempt at a reformative Big Brothers/Big Sisters thing where he sees something of himself in this kid and is trying to be the sort of mentor that he never had at that age.