Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
This thread is dedicated to any and all discussion regarding What If Sports that doesn't pertain to the dedicated leagues run in this forum. This is also the place for newbies curious about the game - if you have any questions about WIS or are interested in joining a league, feel free to ask. Everyone is welcome here.

What is What If Sports, you ask? The website hosts a number of sports-based simulation games spanning baseball, basketball, American football, hockey and football/soccer. Available to play are:

-Sim Leagues

In these, you build a team using historical players and pit them against other owners' teams. Want to build a team with Babe Ruth, Albert Pujols and Barry Bonds on the same field? You can. Want to see Peyton Manning throwing the ball to Jerry Rice? You can. LeBron James dishing to Michael Jordan? You can. This is the way to go if you want to build the team of your dreams.

-Dynasty

Dynasty games are similar to Football Manager, Out of the Park Baseball and similar, dedicated sim-style games you can purchase online. The big difference compared to those games is that you are always playing against other people. You'll run your team, set budgets, sign, draft (or recruit) players, determine strategies, and so on. Meanwhile you'll be competing with real people for those same players, in those same games, trying to outsmart your competition.

-Sim Match-up

This is a simple, free simulation engine where you can pit two teams, either historical or of your own creation, against each other. If you simply want to see what Sandy Koufax would do against the 1927 Yankees, or who would win between Jordan's Bulls and Kobe's Lakers, this is where you want to be. You can choose teams, set lineups and simulate games in a matter of seconds.

While you can do some exhibition seasons for free, to participate in full seasons of Sim Leagues or Dynasty games you must pay. Prices vary from game to game but you're typically looking at a $10-15 investment for a season which lasts about 3 months real time. Performing well will allow you to earn credits redeemable for new teams, or reward points which can be used for a number of different things. Several of us have gotten to the point where we basically fund our WIS teams simply by playing the game and if you want our help, you can too!

There is a pretty dedicated userbase among goons and we're all friendly and helpful for anyone looking to get into the game. We've even gone so far as to start our own fantasy baseball league consisting strictly of WIS players. Feel free to hop in here and ask questions or join the discussion, we won't chase you off! Promise!

Related links:

Google docs link to previous Sim League spreadsheets (I've been lazy and haven't updated this in awhile).

WIS SAS Wiki page

What If Sports' own forums. A good place to go and just poke around if you're curious about any of the games. There's a lot of good info/strategy to be found as well as classifieds for finding leagues to join.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
AlleyViper you should join Hardball Dynasty when we roll in a week.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

jeffersonlives posted:

AlleyViper you should join Hardball Dynasty when we roll in a week.

this x1000. C'mon. You might just find your very own Brook Jacoby.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Join us AV. Join us. :devil:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'm going to be scheduling for summer classes this week so this is pretty much not at all a good time for me to join HBD.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

AlleyViper posted:

I'm going to be scheduling for summer classes this week so this is pretty much not at all a good time for me to join HBD.

It will probably open up next weekend and the interesting stuff won't happen for another few days to a week after that. There's plenty of time!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Woo new thread! Will we be tracking OL rushes here, I am down to only 2 active teams...

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

It will probably open up next weekend and the interesting stuff won't happen for another few days to a week after that. There's plenty of time!

Classes start in nine days soooooo...

kensei posted:

Woo new thread! Will we be tracking OL rushes here, I am down to only 2 active teams...

This is for everything that's not one of the dedicated goon league threads.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Classes start in nine days soooooo...

There is literally nothing better to do during class than WIS stuff.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

In other league news

code:
Owner          Owner Rating
alleyviper     17234
parking31      6541
midknight     -21706
gee51         -169309
Either this division will be a laugher or incredibly frustrating. There will be no middle ground.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I can't guarantee I'm going read this thread if it's 99.99% SimLeague, but I will post my moment of vindication:

This is my all-star catcher. He declined a $4.4M option to become a free agent, but became A compensation and went through the FA period unsigned. We're now about halfway through spring training, and I just resigned him to the contract you see there. 3 years for less than what he would have gotten for just 1 year if he'd exercised his part of the option. I wonder if he'll have a new agent when this contract expires.

saintonan fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 7, 2011

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Despite explicitly telling sparky not to, he still played Brendan Harris :gonk: over Justin Morneau in game 7 of the LCS.

I still won, thankfully. Lefty Williams is my hero.

saintonan posted:

I can't guarantee I'm going read this thread if it's 99.99% SimLeague, but I will post my moment of vindication:

I'm sure nasboat would appreciate being able to post about his 4 billion HBD teams here so feel free to go on about whatever. I wouldn't mind if there were some discussion on the other sports here, too.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

My 109 win MDP rip off team got knocked out in the first round against a 104 win equal cookie filled team. All cookie teams are boring.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

AV, you can't use the excuse that you won't have enough time when we know you spend oodles of time on OL and goon league teams. :colbert:

You're a WIS junkie. You've got time. C'mon. Dooooo iiiiiiit!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Actually when I'm not building a team I only spend 25-30 minutes a day on my sim league teams. Even less than that when I don't have more than a dozen teams going like right now.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

AlleyViper posted:

Actually when I'm not building a team I only spend 25-30 minutes a day on my sim league teams. Even less than that when I don't have more than a dozen teams going like right now.

HBD doesn't take that much more time a day, really. You just can't let it go for a week during the preseason like every new owner we've tried out recently has done. Once you hire coaches, FA, and Arbitration, it's just like SL. Check your scores/injuries, and if you have an stamina problems you have to adjust your rotation or whatever. The draft you can do in spurts, because you have a few days to look over prospects from when they're released to when the draft is.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I mentioned being down 1-4 in the pitching categories of the WIS fantasy league to Art even after Liriano's no-hitter.

After Verlander's no-hitter and Gallardo's attempt being broken up after 7.2 IP, I'm still losing WHIP. :laugh:

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
I would be in good shape if Jeremy Guthrie didn't do whatever he did today :sigh:

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
40 games into an open league and 1989 Howard Johnson has 17 minus plays!!!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

This is going to be literally every game for my 15 last place teams league team, alternating wins and losses: http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14654785&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I took the first 3 from jeff in that league to open the season, which is my minor retaliation for him destroying me in the HBD Dimaggio playoffs. I'm sure he'll take that swap any day though.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Do the goons who play both HBD and SLB do about the same in both games? Are there some guys who completely excel at one and not the other?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

AlleyViper posted:

Do the goons who play both HBD and SLB do about the same in both games? Are there some guys who completely excel at one and not the other?

I suck at SLB because I try to make it the computer version of Strat-O-Matic, and it's really nothing like SOM. I suck less at HBD because I can keep it separate from replay baseball.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

I don't know if there's a big enough sample of HBD seasons for, well, anyone. Most of us are under 10 even counting non-goon leagues.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

I do about the same, which is to say I am fair to middling in each. I don't see why you couldn't excel at both since it's all about how much time you invest in your teams.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ivan Drago posted:

I do about the same, which is to say I am fair to middling in each. I don't see why you couldn't excel at both since it's all about how much time you invest in your teams.

This, though I have my seasons in SL, and my HBD is on the uptick I think.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

jeffersonlives posted:

I don't know if there's a big enough sample of HBD seasons for, well, anyone. Most of us are under 10 even counting non-goon leagues.

Counting this season here is DiMaggio:

doran_doran 9
gardenald 4
nasboat 3
I Challenge Thee 1
Evilbeard 11
wolfhoundkl 1 (19 other seasons in another league)
Jeffersonlives 6
Scrotos 7
Ivan Drago 6
Art Vandelay 11
dryb 7
trenchfoot 1
operaterp 10
ensgdt 11
CanadianJericholeaf 11
dontreadonme 1
popero 3
Gyroball 7
TMB 11

Though really, since TMB, ensgdt, Art, CJL all really started at the same time, it really took us a few seasons to figure things out and correct our mistakes. Now we have a pretty good wealth of experience to help our new players.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Also, the general rule is, if you see me doing something, you should always do the exact opposite and you will have great success!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Ivan Drago posted:

I do about the same, which is to say I am fair to middling in each.

Funny you say this since you're one of the best SLB players we have.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

I make the exact same teams, which is to say I always make the playoffs in both and then immediately get knocked out.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Scrotos posted:

I always make the playoffs in both and then immediately get knocked out.

:respek:

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Bob Shabazz posted:

:respek:

:cry:

In SimLeagues I have had the best record twice and lost in the first round both times. In HBD I have the best record in my league 2 times and lost in the first round both times. But when I am a wild card I make LCS :shrug:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

tbf unless you're building heavily polarized teams that are either real good or real bad (which would be me in both games), your playoff record is usually going to be worse than your regular season record due to quality of comp

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Oh I know, but it is still fun to complain.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Scrotos posted:

Oh I know, but it is still fun to complain.

Yeah I mean my Dimaggio regular season record is .632 and my postseason record is only .556 even with a WS victory and the sweeps this season

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Regular Season record: 729-1053 (.409)

:sigh:

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
You all just need need to step it up when it counts

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Boosh

Over .500!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Accident Underwater posted:

You all just need need to step it up when it counts

Playoff appearances: 6
Full seasons: 14

Playoff rate: 43%

Stepping it up when it counts is nice and all if you can actually get to where it counts :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I think my teams have really shown the level of competition in goon leagues:

In 17 seasons, I've made the playoffs 9 times, and out of seasons I've missed the playoffs, the breakdown is:

3x rebuilding progressive league teams (whatever)
1x loss to Manifunk in game 163 in goon rush OL
1x Godawful Chief Bender Random Captains team
3x S12, S13, S14

• Locked thread