Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

keyframe posted:

Oh poo poo found one x100 in a local camera shop but they have to call a regular first and ask if he wants it before they can sell it to me. :ohdear:

That's some bullshit right there especially if you have money in hand. Hopefully you can get it and you'll like it.

My x100 (that came with 1.01 preinstalled) won't update. I think Fuji's transfer program is writing the file with a 1/1/2006 timestamp and the camera thinks it is old. Off to buy a card reader to see if that fixes things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

ThisQuietReverie posted:

That's some bullshit right there especially if you have money in hand. Hopefully you can get it and you'll like it.

My x100 (that came with 1.01 preinstalled) won't update. I think Fuji's transfer program is writing the file with a 1/1/2006 timestamp and the camera thinks it is old. Off to buy a card reader to see if that fixes things.
You don't need the program, just copy the 30 mb file in a freshly formatted card and you're good to go.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Guess who is the new owner of a x100 :snoop:

I cant wait to hit the street as soon as this rain stops :v:

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

You could always do that, it just wasn't available in auto-iso as the top ceiling (is it even now? I'm at work and can't upgrade till tonight).

It's 100 and 12,800 that aren't available in raw, but since everything over ISO 1,000 is made from ISO 1,000, it doesn't matter. Shoot at 3200 and bump 1 or 2 in post for exactly the same as shooting that in jpeg.

Oops, that's right. I've been leaving it mostly in auto-iso. 3200 is still the ceiling in any case.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Shmoogy posted:

You don't need the program, just copy the 30 mb file in a freshly formatted card and you're good to go.

The x100 doesn't act like a hard drive, I needed the program to copy the .dat file onto the card. I have a card reader now.

It turns out that Fuji's site was still pointing to the old 1.01 update & refreshing it a few times finally worked.

The new AF parallax correction is neat.

keyframe posted:

Guess who is the new owner of a x100 :snoop:

I cant wait to hit the street as soon as this rain stops :v:

Awesome!

New x100 owner advice:

It takes about 3 hours to charge a battery from flat. It is charged when the light goes off.
Format the card in-camera.
Shutter button half-depress counts as hitting "OK"
Left twice on the command dial and a half-depress will put the camera in Macro Mode so you can do this without taking your eye from the viewfinder.
Up twice on the command dial and a half-depress will put the camera in Movie Mode.
Macro Mode is now persistent with the 1.10 update so if you turn the camera off in Macro Mode and turn it back on with the lens cap attached you will get Scary Sounds and prompted to turn the camera off and on again.
Auto ISO tends to prefer the ceiling of 3200.
Pressing the Command Lever (black dial, top right) while in Manual will turn on the OVF and zoom in to help you verify focus.
Pressing AFL/AEL while in Manual will temporarily engage the autofocus to get you in the ballpark for fine tuning with the focus ring.
Moving the Command Lever to the right while viewing a photo will bring up info on the Dynamic Range and other camera values that were set when the photo was taken.
Moving it to the right one more time will show you where the camera was focused when the shot was taken.
Consider getting a soft release and a handstrap and a few more batteries.
Exposure compensation dial is prone to getting turned when pulling the camera out of a bag, learn to check for this.
It's ok to shoot JPG until you can get a fast card.
ISO 3200 and 6400 are surprisingly clean. You will be pleased.

That's all I can think of that you might need to initially know about.

ThisQuietReverie fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 24, 2011

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am loving this thing. The convenience alone is worth it.

edit: Everything I shot closeup (not macro closeup, like a meter away from subject) is extremely out of focus, am I missing some setting?

keyframe fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 24, 2011

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

keyframe posted:

I am loving this thing. The convenience alone is worth it.

edit: Everything I shot closeup (not macro closeup, like a meter away from subject) is extremely out of focus, am I missing some setting?

With 1.10 installed go to the Set-Up menu (hit Menu, move left and down) and the very last entry is Corrected AF Frame. Set this to on. In the OVF you'll now have two AF boxes.

The new offset box is there to compensate for the parallax difference between the viewfinder and the lens. When focusing on something close (but not macro close) the AF will turn the offset box green. This should help with what you are experiencing.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Thanks for the tips man.

So I plugged the battery in charger and it is showing a solid green. Is that light supposed to go off when fully charged>??

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

keyframe posted:

Thanks for the tips man.

So I plugged the battery in charger and it is showing a solid green. Is that light supposed to go off when fully charged>??

New owner advice #1, 3 posts up.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
What is this the x100 thread now? NO, I'm not jealous, why would you say that?

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice
I returned my Samsung NX10 today and pre-ordered an X100 instead of my other choice which was getting an NEX-5 (they didn't have the kit with the 16mm lens in stock).

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
The autofocus on the x100 has a loving mind of its own. I have read that if you use OVF for closeup subjects 9 out of 10 you get out of focus shots and in my experience that is very true. The new firmware added some guide rectangle or whatever but what it does is a mystery to me.

If you switch the vf to digital it focuses much better but still I get retarded behaviour like the subjects face out of focus and the background is in focus on a shot where I had the center focus point on the subjects face. There is definitely a learning curve with this camera.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You could also look at (film) Pen lenses, I know they made a fast prime with some oddball focal length (68mm f/1.9 or something?), although IIRC it's fairly pricey.

Was on my iPad before, there's a 60mm f/1.5 and a 70mm f/2.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Was on my iPad before, there's a 60mm f/1.5 and a 70mm f/2.

Looked them up, and both seem a bit larger than I wanted.

For the X100 owners, there is a faster way into auto-ISO on/off with the newest firmware. Press and hold the Fn button for 3 seconds, and it will pull up the ND assignment menu. Don't change it, just press left, and down, and now you are on auto-ISO menu. Not as nice as putting it in the ISO menu, but at least this is much faster than the 26 presses it took to get down to auto-ISO

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Any Olympus PEN users out there? I need a second opinion on the usefulness of the VF-2. I haven't seen too many consumer reviews going over its cons. It's almost $300 (give or take tax), so I don't know if its worth dropping that sort of cash on a viewfinder.

:3: Also: Mini Olympus PEN cameras!

EDIT: Spelling.

Sharizard fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 26, 2011

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Sharizard posted:

Any Olympus PEN users out there? I need a second opinion on the usefulness of the VF-2. I haven't seen too many consumer reviews going over its cons. It's almost $300 (give or take tax), so I don't know if its worth dropping that sort of cash on a viewfinder.

:3: Also: Mini Olympus PEN cameras!

EDIT: Spelling.

Holy poo poo are those mini olympus cams real? I need to see pics taken with those asap :v:

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

keyframe posted:

Holy poo poo are those mini olympus cams real? I need to see pics taken with those asap :v:

real but not functional.

Neilson
Apr 15, 2006
I'm thinking of purchasing the Panasonic DMC-GF1 when I find a deal on it, what's the general consensus on it? I've read that the 20mm lens is better than the 14mm found on the DMC-GF2, and I think I would rather have physical button controls. Are there any other options around this price point that have come out more recently?

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Neilson posted:

I'm thinking of purchasing the Panasonic DMC-GF1 when I find a deal on it, what's the general consensus on it? I've read that the 20mm lens is better than the 14mm found on the DMC-GF2, and I think I would rather have physical button controls. Are there any other options around this price point that have come out more recently?
My uncle recently bought a GF1, although he had a very hard time finding one and the prices are pretty crazy. I'm perfectly happy with my Olympus E-PL2 which is fairly similar, although Olympus is announcing an E-P3 and E-PL3 this week. The Panasonic 20 mm is still the lens to get and it's on sale on Amazon right now.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Pressing AFL/AEL while in Manual will temporarily engage the autofocus to get you in the ballpark for fine tuning with the focus ring.

I am loving this function so much. All I want from fuji is to fix the manual focus speed with the next fw update and I will have nothing left to complain about this camera.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
I only want two things:

1. Put auto ISO in the iso menu.
2. If the Fn button is set to the ND filter, just toggle it on an off like the flash in the OVF.

Pockyless fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 28, 2011

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
And remappable RAW button to act as a secondary Fn.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You know what I'd like to see in a future camera? Not just a regular ND filter, but a graduated ND filter that has a little motor so it can be rotated. It would be incredible to be able to click it on and off with a button instead of having to screw filters on and off.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ThisQuietReverie posted:

And remappable RAW button to act as a secondary Fn.

God yes! It is such a waste of a button currently.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

keyframe posted:

God yes! It is such a waste of a button currently.

They should let you remap it to Direct Print :allears:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Rated PG-34 posted:

I will be happy if I can just use it as another "set" button. I am going to glue a nub like pimm did.

In other news I have realized something about the x100. If you are in manual and auto focus with the aflock button it autofocuses way faster than regular autofocus mode. This stays true for both macro and regular modes. Any reason why that is? I have completely stopped using the autofocus mode since there is no drawback to using the autofocus in manual mode from what I can see.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

keyframe posted:

I will be happy if I can just use it as another "set" button. I am going to glue a nub like pimm did.

In other news I have realized something about the x100. If you are in manual and auto focus with the aflock button it autofocuses way faster than regular autofocus mode. This stays true for both macro and regular modes. Any reason why that is? I have completely stopped using the autofocus mode since there is no drawback to using the autofocus in manual mode from what I can see.

No idea why this might be the case; maybe the box size? One drawback is that they still haven't fixed focus confirm for manual + af button

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Pockyless posted:

I only want two things:

1. Put auto ISO in the iso menu.
2. If the Fn button is set to the ND filter, just toggle it on an off like the flash in the OVF.

Andy Westlake (dpreview) has suggested it might not be possible to put auto-ISO on the list, as currently the selected ISO value acts as the ISO minimum in auto-ISO.

So you can turn auto-ISO on and off in the auto-ISO menu, as well as set the iso maximum value, however currently you set ISO minimum in the normal ISO menu.

I think they could just solve this by adding ISO minimum to the auto-ISO list, then adding auto-ISO to the ISO menu.

What would be even cooler, is to send the Fn button to ISO, and holding it down for 2 seconds toggles you in and out of auto-ISO, but tapping it brings up the ISO menu.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

keyframe posted:

You can half press the shutter to use as a set button, if it's more convenient (I find it more convenient for some things)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

I'm actually fairly annoyed that the NEX doesn't have Direct Print/PictBridge support.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Shmoogy posted:

You can half press the shutter to use as a set button, if it's more convenient (I find it more convenient for some things)

You can also just mash the center button, not caring if you get the ring as well. My nub fell off, and now I just use it like this.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Rated PG-34 posted:

No idea why this might be the case; maybe the box size? One drawback is that they still haven't fixed focus confirm for manual + af button

I have no idea but its there. Its focusing 7d like when i do it that way.

I will continue my quest for a x100 lens hood today. I saw them selling for 400$ on amazon, it is crazy.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

keyframe posted:

I have no idea but its there. Its focusing 7d like when i do it that way.

I will continue my quest for a x100 lens hood today. I saw them selling for 400$ on amazon, it is crazy.

There are 50 dollar knockoffs on ebay.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
/\/\ Yea but I dont usually buy stuff online. :smith:

Shmoogy posted:

I keep forgetting this.

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.
So I got the Fujian 35 mm f1.7 for the GH-1. Kind of liking it for portraits and closeups from the few tests I've shot:

What I wonder, is that can you remap a single button press/scroll wheel/etc. for the manual focus magnification? Now it takes pressing the left arrow and and menu to get to the magnification screen.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have had a GF1 since around when it came out, with the 20mm kit-lens as my only auto-focus option.

I am going on a trip, and I would like to get the 14-45mm for a walk-about. There is the 14-45mm and then also there seems to be a 14-42. Which one is the better lens?

Amazon has the 14-42 here http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-14-42mm-Aspherical-OIS-Interchangeable/dp/B0043VE28I/ very cheaply, with some horrible reviews, and then the 45 here http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-H-FS014045PP-14-45mm-3-5-5-6-Thirds/dp/B002IKLJV4/ with much better reviews (and out of stock :/ ).

So the 14-45 is the good one, rite? The only difference in model name from each of them is a 2 and a 5. I am terribly afraid I am going to mess up and buy the wrong one!

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
Firmware talk? Sony released an update ten days ago. Cool features include new picture styles!

For example "Toy Camera'!

Two kittens by Mhebble, on Flickr

I bet you x100 users are jealous. Who would want Reala and Velvia pre-sets when you could have selective colour, 'Pop colour' and 'Retro' effects :colbert:

Seriously though, the best part is a 'peeking', also known as 'edging', feature that outlines the areas in focus with your choice of colour. It's a pretty nifty thing when using MF lenses, but gets a bit tricky to use at wider apertures.

It is easier when taking photos of 'rough' areas as I guess the camera looks for sharp contrast. In this photo the red(being the colour I'm using) appeared around the in focus rocks, dirt and twigs on the ground. There was also a little bit in the rabbit's fur and eyes.

Relaxing by Mhebble, on Flickr
It was taken at f4 on a 90mm lens.

As you can see, I was taking photos of rabbits today.

Daddys hot grill fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 30, 2011

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
This guy made his own soft shutter release button and it looks so awesome :3:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The new Olympus m4/3 lenses are sexy. My perfect kit would be a PEN Mini with a 12mm f/2, 45mm f/1.8 and the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and the VF-2 viewfinder.

Hurry up and make a constant f/2.8 zoom!

Even just the PEN Mini with the 12mm f/2 would be an awesome combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Kaluza-Klein posted:

So the 14-45 is the good one, rite? The only difference in model name from each of them is a 2 and a 5. I am terribly afraid I am going to mess up and buy the wrong one!

IIRC the 45 was supposed to be a bit better, but it's out of production as the 42 replaced it.