Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Bob Socko posted:

I know Sigma has 19mm and 30mm f/2.8 NEX lenses coming out very soon, assuming they aren't already available. I saw some sample images from the 30mm f/2.8 and it looked really nice.

I had written off the 30mm because of the aperture, but it looks like it makes up for it with corner sharpness all the way to 2.8. Guess I'll have to give it a shot whenever my local store gets a copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

For you X100 users, the 1.21 firmware is out if you didn't notice like I did.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/finepix_x100/index.html

mes fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 6, 2012

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I took the X-pro around Philly tonight for to see how it does in the dark. Holy crap, ISO 6400 is amazing. No need for additional noise reduction. What little noise I see looks like a nice fine-grained film with none of that ugly chroma noise confetti at all. Detail is still good, particularly for the landscape type shots I got tonight. So far, no buyers remorse here.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Been out and about with the OM-D this morning and it's an incredibly satisfying upgrade from my E-P1 so far. The new features work really well, the old features are all improved, and it just FEELS GOOD in my hands. Coming from a long line of Olympus cameras I'm no doubt very biased and already well versed with their handling/menu systems, but it really just feels right and natural to me. It really makes the X-Pro 1 feel clunky in comparison.

The last electronic viewfinder I tried at any length (other than the great one in the X pro) was the first one that came out for the E-P2 and I was not impressed; it was slow and super grainy. I was worried this one would be similar but it is fantastic, super fast, bright, and clean enough confirm focus quite well. The camera swaps quickly between LCD live view and EVF with the eye sensor, which makes trying different compositions really easy.

The touch screen is something I never thought I would bother to use, but today I discovered that in combination with the swivel LCD, it actually turns the camera into an absurdly stealthy WLF style street camera. You just tilt the screen out, look down at it like a WLF, and literally just point at peoples' faces to take photos. The "fastest in the world (until Nikon takes the crown again) AF" really is super fast and accurate, and I was able to stand right in front of people and take their photos while looking like I was just stabbing at my screen and fiddling with settings or something. Add the weather sealing and you can even do all this in the rain!

There are about FIVE programmable buttons on this thing, and another 1 or 2 more I think if you buy one of the new lenses which includes buttons on the lens itself. I finally have a dedicated button JUST for focus assist zoom (the level of which can also now be adjusted with one of the dials at 5x/7x/10x/14x) which is fantastic, as my manual lenses were a chore to fine focus on the E-P1. I have everything in super easy reach, and then ON TOP of that 2 dedicated dials just for aperture/shutter. I'm still not used to the position of them, though, and am fumbling a little bit for my back button AF, but I'm pretty sure muscle memory will take care of that soon.

I tried out a little low light stuff last night and took a shot in nothing but TV glow at about 1/30, f1.4, 6400 ISO which came out looking like a daytime shot and it looks MORE than usable to me. Granted, I have yet to check it out properly on a computer screen and am basing this off the LCD, but on the E-P1 grain was pretty noticably ugly even on the LCD at about ISO 800, so I couldn't be happier. Will push it some more when I go out to dinner tonight. Considering the new and improved IBIS, I bet I could have gotten another stop or two of light out of the shutter speed and still hand held it, so I am really excited by the low light possibilities.

Anyway, TLDR; I haven't spent a lot of time with the OMD yet but it's been an absolute blast so far, incredibly usable, versatile and I think pretty powerful.

Post your flikr or something I must see some sample pictures.

Also gently caress you for making me want to buy one :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

moonduck posted:

Olympus has a 4/3 35-100 f/2.8 that people rave about. It is, however, in the same cost stratosphere (or close to) as its 35mm equivalents from Canon and Nikon. And again, it's built for 4/3, not m4/3.

It's an f/2.0 :eng101:

and it owwwwnnnnns :frogc00l:

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

RustedChrome posted:

I took the X-pro around Philly tonight for to see how it does in the dark. Holy crap, ISO 6400 is amazing. No need for additional noise reduction. What little noise I see looks like a nice fine-grained film with none of that ugly chroma noise confetti at all. Detail is still good, particularly for the landscape type shots I got tonight. So far, no buyers remorse here.

Don't keep making me want one

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I'd like to cross post this from the P&S thread to see what you lot think of my situation.

MeKeV posted:

Well I've only had an hour or so play with it, but I'm massively impressed, both with the photos and the way it feels and operates.

It's been a good few years since I last bought a P&S, and I'd never had a high end one. And after a few years with my D200 I was a bit wary of dumping that and downsizing. But so far I'm really liking it, except for one thing....

The OVF is really nice to look through, but I'm not sure how useful it's going to be. And I really want it to be useful!

I'll have to keep playing with it for a few days and see if I can get better at guestimating the 'centre' focus point, before deciding if it actually offers anything - and then if not, whether I'd be better off with a m4/3, or going with my original plan of waiting until I can afford the X100.

If the OVF was one of the real selling points for me, but in practice its not really worth it, what differences would I see with say a GF2 or GF3. As I can get either, with the 14mm f2.5, for pretty much the same price as I paid for the X10 - £295.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

LiquidRain posted:

You're almost making me regret my NEX-7 purchase, LonLon! (and hello! :) ) I'd also kill to have the equivalent of the u4/3 14-50 lenses.

Oh hi!

keyframe posted:

Post your flikr or something I must see some sample pictures.

Also gently caress you for making me want to buy one :smith:

Unfortunately there is still no RAW support for the drat thing so I am just stockpiling images right now, none of them up on flickr yet. I will try and shoot some jpegs in the next few days.

Still loving the OM-D though and taking photos every day. The 25m has replaced the pancake as my day to day lens and it's performing great.

My town is in festival mode right now and I am out every night stalking naked dudes in the street who are chanting and dancing and stuff. It's got a little orange focus assist LED on the body which is great as even in the dark streets it doesn't hunt for focus like the E-P1 did, although I have blinded some friends at close range in the dark with it a bit.

I have some small complaints now that I've had it for almost a fortnight; the battery life is significantly less than my E-P1, the camera makes a weird noise and I think the Func1 button is not that ergonomically placed.

My E-P1 could live in my bag for WEEKS on a single charge if I did just the odd few photos every few days, and it could easily last a full weekend of fairly constant touristy shooting. The O-MD lasts maybe 3 or 4 days doing the former and only about 3/4 of a day doing the latter.

The weird noise it makes is apparently common for all OM-Ds and is not something wrong with my camera. It's kind of an airy computery humming sound if that makes any sense. Impossible to hear unless the room is totally silent or you put the camera up to your ear in a fairly quiet outdoor place.

The Func1 button requires you to kind of curl your thumb tip (which normally rests on the curled back thumb rest) over the top edge of the body to hit, it's small and recessed and a bit awkward. Fortunately there are a bunch of other customisable buttons.

The battery life is really the only of those three issues that I would even remotely call significant, and that has been easily solved by keeping a spare battery with me.

I found a neat gimmick feature that I hadn't heard advertised; if you push the shutter speed past bulb you get to "Live Time", which lets you see an image as it exposes. You hit the shutter, then watch the LCD, and the image "ticks" in and you can see the exposure's progress. Hit the shutter again to finish. I guess people who like light painting might find it useful? Or perhaps if you are in pitch black and are painting a subject in with a torch. It is pretty limited though, in that it only shows a maximum of 24 "ticks", which you can set to be shown every 0.5 to 60 seconds. Gimmicky and proof of concept as it is, it's kinda neat. I might use it in some pitch black urbex or something.

I assisted a wedding shoot in Osaka last weekend and the pro kept asking to play with it again and again every time we had a moment to pause. He was there with a bag full of thousands of dollars of gear and a profoto but he was more jealous of me and my O-MD :smug:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I fondled the Oly E-PM1, E-PL3 and the Sony NEX-5N the other day.

Still can't choose. :smith: (Wel the mini is a bit basic so it's between the PL3 and 5N)

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 11, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

My town is in festival mode right now and I am out every night stalking naked dudes in the street who are chanting and dancing and stuff.

This sounds like quite the festival.

what's up with the lack of RAW? That seems odd.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

DJExile posted:

This sounds like quite the festival.

what's up with the lack of RAW? That seems odd.

I guess cos it's still only out in Asia and Adobe is just being slow.

I had to wait a couple weeks when I got my E-P1, too.

king of lunch
May 22, 2007
I am made of science
Is there a preferred Nikon F to m4/3 adapter? I just ordered a GH2 to shoot video, and want to use some of my old Nikon primes. Are my only options the $200 Novoflex or the Chinese cheapies?

I'm also pretty excited to pick up one of those CCTV lenses to mess around with.

Now if only Passover would hurry up and finish so B&H could ship my camera!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I guess cos it's still only out in Asia and Adobe is just being slow.

I had to wait a couple weeks when I got my E-P1, too.

Aaah, I was reading it wrong. I thought it'd only been programmed to shoot JPEGs or something and was about to pull the biggest :psyduck: ever.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

king of lunch posted:

Is there a preferred Nikon F to m4/3 adapter? I just ordered a GH2 to shoot video, and want to use some of my old Nikon primes. Are my only options the $200 Novoflex or the Chinese cheapies?

I have a Fotodiox Pro Minolta MD to NEX adapter that's pretty solid, definitely better than the cheap one I have for Nikon G lenses. I think the Fotodiox was around $60 on amazon, less than $100 anyway.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I found a neat gimmick feature that I hadn't heard advertised; if you push the shutter speed past bulb you get to "Live Time", which lets you see an image as it exposes. You hit the shutter, then watch the LCD, and the image "ticks" in and you can see the exposure's progress.

That is neat. Would be great for shooting landscapes at night.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I can second fotodiox for mechanical adapters anyway, I've got their M42 and AD2 to MFT and they're well put together for the price.

king of lunch
May 22, 2007
I am made of science
Fotodiox it is then! Sounds like a good balance between $10 and $200 for what really amounts to an experiment for me.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau

HPL posted:

That is neat. Would be great for shooting landscapes at night.

It's astrophotography style stacking in-camera by that description. Awesome.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Oh drat just found a menu option I had somehow missed on the OM-D; pressing the shutter halfway now turns on the IS.

You can SEE just how much stability it adds in real time, it's nuts. I tried handholding (unsupported, elbows loosely in the air in front of me) my 100mm macro focussing on something about 1 metre away, and looking through the EVF the scene was of course pretty jittery. Then I pressed the shutter halfway and the image FROZE, even as I continued to breathe in and out.

I always knew Olympus IBIS was good cos of the low speeds I could handhold at, but all I ever had to prove it was the resulting image. With this setting you can SEE it working and it's pretty rad.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Really want to see some pictures from it, even if they're just jpegs :f5:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Can you comment on the video quality? Has the jittery-ness of the previous PENs been rectified?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Yet another person reviewing the X-Pro1, yet another person coming up with the same pros/cons.

At least you know Fuji can work on things like speeding up the camera with the next generation of bodies and lenses. Whereas I can't escape the feeling that some of the other brands will never stop making design decisions based on the mass market and not those who think aperture rings make sense.

Now if only I could afford one!

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
It's not inconceivable that we could see the AF speed of the XP-1 improve with just some firmware updates, like Fuji managed with the X100.

That said, the failure to make mechanical manual focus lenses which was then compounded by making some of the least usable focus-by-wire lenses on the market, if it's fixed at all, won't be until the next generation.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

AF speed and my growing disappointment and impatience with lens selection has me seriously considering using an Alpha adapter + a Tamron 17-50 for my NEX. Good lens + phase detect, but then I've got something that's not quite so light or small anymore. :(

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

LiquidRain posted:

AF speed and my growing disappointment and impatience with lens selection has me seriously considering using an Alpha adapter + a Tamron 17-50 for my NEX. Good lens + phase detect, but then I've got something that's not quite so light or small anymore. :(

I'm keeping an eye on the new Sigma Neo 30mm f/2.8 lens. Sure, it's nothing to write home about, but the price is right and it would be nice to have a fully functioning lens instead of the manual focus lenses I'm using right now.

Seriously, if I were in charge of Sony's imaging division, I'd just knock on Samsung's door, offer them a giant bag of money for all the technical information on their 30mm f/2 pancake lens and call it a day.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
The new sigma lenses are supposed to be pretty awesome, actually. I'm trying to decide between the 19 or 30, and leaning more towards the 19 (I prefer 35~FOV, but 50~ is also nice).

I was originally going to get a contax g21 or g28 for my uses and the 16mm for when I give it to my gf, but the early adopters are saying it's sharp and very nice.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I am envious of the Samsung 30mm f/2, and I covet my neighbour's Leica 14-50mm. Call me greedy but I also want a good ultra-wide angle. The 11mm adapter for the already-poor 16mm just makes me one heck of a sad panda. The Sigmas look great (and at a great price!), it's just a bit of a shame they're not more of a pancake. I can (just barely) jacket-pocket my NEX-7 with the 16mm.

Sony put all of their effort into the body, and apparently next to nothing for the lenses. Hopefully Sony throws us a few bones later this year, but with how badly they're keeping up with producing just the current line of E-mount lenses, who knows. :smith:

While I'm ranting - I also want a NEX-7 firmware update! The 5N has much-improved autofocus speed! I like! I want! I DEMAND! (but seriously, I'm loving my NEX-7 otherwise - the *body* is fantastic, the lenses...)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 11, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Is it true that the NEX-7 only has Auto ISO up to 1600? Because if that's true, that's stupid. The 5N goes to 3200 and it's glorious. I wish it had an option to go to 6400 for low light shooting and then turn it off for daytime shooting.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HPL posted:

Is it true that the NEX-7 only has Auto ISO up to 1600? Because if that's true, that's stupid. The 5N goes to 3200 and it's glorious. I wish it had an option to go to 6400 for low light shooting and then turn it off for daytime shooting.

In one of the modes the nex does something where it does like 5 shots at various ISOs and merges them to avoid noise. I'm pretty sure one of the night modes allows 6400+ autoiso too.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Shmoogy posted:

In one of the modes the nex does something where it does like 5 shots at various ISOs and merges them to avoid noise. I'm pretty sure one of the night modes allows 6400+ autoiso too.

That's handheld twilight mode. It's nice, but it's useless most of the time because it only works in JPG and with static subjects. Sony was also stupid and made it so that when you switch to scene mode, it defaults to Night Portrait every time instead of remembering what you were on last so you have to switch to scene mode then scroll to select HHT mode.

Seriously, there are so many minor things I'd love to fix in the firmware that should be easy to do.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Yes, I just tested, auto ISO only goes up to 1600. (good thing I never use auto ISO) Here's a rather popular and linked list of NEX-7 firmware wishes. I agree with most or all of them.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

spankmeister posted:

I fondled the Oly E-PM1, E-PL3 and the Sony NEX-5N the other day.

Still can't choose. :smith: (Wel the mini is a bit basic so it's between the PL3 and 5N)

It's a tough choice - on one hand you have the seriously superior sensor and lesser crop factor of the 5n, which is a truly spectacular piece of kit. On the other hand, there are some similarly spectacular glass offerings for the Oly, and the touch screen is much better implemented on the e-P3 than the NEX, if that's a factor at all.

To be honest, if you're at all considering going the m43 route and you've waited this long and don't balk at the price of the e-P3 versus the 5n, you're doing yourself a disservice to not wait a bit longer and grab an OM-D (e-M5) as soon as they land over here. The jump in quality and additional features you get for your patience will reward you for the wait.

That being said, if you're in a time crunch and looking for bang for your buck, I'll toss out that looking at the Panasonic GX1 is worth the time it will take you to find and grope one, I was hellbent on getting an e-P3 and ended up walking out with the Lumix and have no regrets (other than regretting my lack of patience in waiting for the aforementioned OM-D).

Really though, there's always going to be something newer or better just around the corner. Better to decide and act and then get as far away from the internet and the siren call of more gear as you can get and spend that time behind the shutter of what you have.

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 12, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you don't shoot in low light a lot and don't like to use old lenses, then by all means go for a m43 camera. The native lens system is a bazillion times more mature than the NEX system.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Anyone have the E-Mount 50mm f1.8? It seems like it might be awesome in low light being stabilized and f1.8.

The kit lens seems to do well with stabilization at least:

Untitled by dtloken, on Flickr

Handheld, 1/8th @ f8, ISO 1600

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

HPL posted:

If you don't shoot in low light a lot and don't like to use old lenses, then by all means go for a m43 camera. The native lens system is a bazillion times more mature than the NEX system.

You always say this but, plenty of people are perfectly happy shooting old glass on m43 and get great results.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

RustedChrome posted:

You always say this but, plenty of people are perfectly happy shooting old glass on m43 and get great results.

Yeah, they'll get great results, but it's harder to find good, cheap glass. With APS-C, you get a 28, a 50, a 90/85 and maybe a 135 and you're good without spending much money. With m43, you're going to have a hard time finding lenses in the wide to standard range unless you want to delve into c-mount lenses since even a 28mm is telephoto.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

Cacator posted:

Can you comment on the video quality? Has the jittery-ness of the previous PENs been rectified?

I don't really feel qualified to comment sorry as I never really used the video on my E-P1.

I took some videos today on the way to and from work, though, in a variety of settings and with some fast panning and I will try and upload them tonight or tomorrow and you can judge for yourself.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

krackmonkey posted:

It's a tough choice - on one hand you have the seriously superior sensor and lesser crop factor of the 5n, which is a truly spectacular piece of kit. On the other hand, there are some similarly spectacular glass offerings for the Oly, and the touch screen is much better implemented on the e-P3 than the NEX, if that's a factor at all.

To be honest, if you're at all considering going the m43 route and you've waited this long and don't balk at the price of the e-P3 versus the 5n, you're doing yourself a disservice to not wait a bit longer and grab an OM-D (e-M5) as soon as they land over here. The jump in quality and additional features you get for your patience will reward you for the wait.

That being said, if you're in a time crunch and looking for bang for your buck, I'll toss out that looking at the Panasonic GX1 is worth the time it will take you to find and grope one, I was hellbent on getting an e-P3 and ended up walking out with the Lumix and have no regrets (other than regretting my lack of patience in waiting for the aforementioned OM-D).

Really though, there's always going to be something newer or better just around the corner. Better to decide and act and then get as far away from the internet and the siren call of more gear as you can get and spend that time behind the shutter of what you have.

The idea is for me to buy a camera at the start of my vacation in the US, so I can benefit from the lower prices in the US. So no time crunch at all. (Until September when I go that is.)

The OM-D is almost twice the price of the NEX-5N (at least on Amazon), $1300 is a bit steep, I'm looking to spend around €500 so that's $700-ish. (Depending on the exchange rate in September, we'll see).

HPL posted:

I don't shoot in low light that often, but I do hate high ISO noise, so that's one for the NEX.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

NEX:
-Better sensor which translates to:
-Better high ISO performance
-More megapixels (although I don't really see the need for those 4 extra mpix)
-Better ergonomics with my hands

m4/3:
-Better glass
-More aftermarket glass and vintage glass options.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
Olympus M4/3 also has in-body stablisation which is nice for old lenses, and most of the models can take the very nice electronic viewfinders. I'm not sure what the NEX viewfinders are like (if they have any?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

EvilRic posted:

Olympus M4/3 also has in-body stablisation which is nice for old lenses, and most of the models can take the very nice electronic viewfinders. I'm not sure what the NEX viewfinders are like (if they have any?).
The NEX-3 and NEX-5 (or at least the 5) series both have NEX-5N has support for adding on an EVF, while the 7 has a good EVF built-in.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 12, 2012