Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

poopinmymouth posted:

If you want dslr image quality, it is the only option. M4/3 is a great step up from P&S cameras, but the small sensor just doesn't deliver the goods, especially in low light, or high dynamic range settings. And that ignores the OVF which is an experience all by itself.

I can edit X100 files right next to 5D files with the 85mm 1.8. That is saying something. There is no M4/3 offering yet that will withstand post processing with a full frame camera and not be immediately noticeable.

The difference in IQ may be technically huge, but it's still negligible for many people in practice. I edit my raws just fine and have made nice large prints.

My argument was simply that I have been very happy with my (now ancient in technological terms) camera and that the poster would also be if he bought further into that system.

I don't want to get into the pixel peeping garbage where you "prove" how inferior my camera system is compared to your choice, especially when my choice gives me more than enough image quality for my purposes.

Enjoy your x100, it's an amazing camera, but I think this thread is doing a disservice by telling people it's the only valid option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

If you want dslr image quality, it is the only option. M4/3 is a great step up from P&S cameras, but the small sensor just doesn't deliver the goods, especially in low light, or high dynamic range settings. And that ignores the OVF which is an experience all by itself.

Sony NEX image quality is comparable to most DSLRs on the market today. The sensors used in NEX cameras(or closely related) are also used in Nikon D3100 and D7000, which are very competitive imgage quality wise amongst current APS-C DSLRs.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

The difference in IQ may be technically huge, but it's still negligible for many people in practice. I edit my raws just fine and have made nice large prints.

My argument was simply that I have been very happy with my (now ancient in technological terms) camera and that the poster would also be if he bought further into that system.

I don't want to get into the pixel peeping garbage where you "prove" how inferior my camera system is compared to your choice, especially when my choice gives me more than enough image quality for my purposes.

Enjoy your x100, it's an amazing camera, but I think this thread is doing a disservice by telling people it's the only valid option.

There is a reason people are "spooging" about it, and it's because of actual quality in design, and image quality, it's not being overstated cause it's new or has a retro design. The M4/3 are nice cameras, but people have made good large prints from small sensor point and shoots too. There is something the X100 brings to this niche that none of the others do.

I won't post anything about pixel peeping, I don't do that myself, but you don't need to pixel peep to see the difference. If you need interchangeable lenses, m4/3 or Nex is a good choice, but if you don't (need different focal lengths) there isn't a contest. No one is disparaging the m4/3, they are nice cameras, some great lenses, but the guy was asking about the x100 and if people still liked it. Seems the answer (among those who actually own one) is a resounding yes.

DoLittle posted:

Sony NEX image quality is comparable to most DSLRs on the market today. The sensors used in NEX cameras(or closely related) are also used in Nikon D3100 and D7000, which are very competitive imgage quality wise amongst current APS-C DSLRs.

The Sony nex does have a great sensor, and it does come extremely close to the X100 in image quality, but the lenses are huge compared to X100 and M4/3, and the only ones with autofocus are f/2.8, making you need a stop higher in ISO for the same exposure, taking the similarities further apart. When they release the 24mm f2, if it's not humongous, the Nex will compare more favorably, but even then, there is no optical viewfinder.

I think people are missing the importance of the OVF for some people. Someone coming from only point and shoots using the screen to compose, or entry level dslr bodies with tiny dim viewfinders might not get it, but the X100 has a viewfinder of equal size and brightness to a full frame camera. If an optical viewfinder is important for your photographic experience, the x100 delivers, and nothing else does without caring a lunchbox sized lead boat anchor.

the spooge is justified.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 19, 2011

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

I think people are missing the importance of the OVF for some people. Someone coming from only point and shoots using the screen to compose, or entry level dslr bodies with tiny dim viewfinders might not get it, but the X100 has a viewfinder of equal size and brightness to a full frame camera. If an optical viewfinder is important for your photographic experience, the x100 delivers, and nothing else does without caring a lunchbox sized lead boat anchor.

I've been flipping back and forth between using my NEX-5 and my 40D and the viewfinder is the #1 thing I miss. I'm reserving judgement until the NEX-7 or whatever comes out. An X100-like camera with an EVF and interchangeable lenses is what I think I'm looking for (if it ever does come out)

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Hey guys, a mate who is at the moment strictly a casual photographer dropped his ricoh p&s onto rocks and is looking for something decent and closer to DSLR quality but without the bulky bodies with hand-grips and lenses to carry around.

I recommended him the NEX-3 over the NEX-5, as it's more in his price range and I couldn't tell the difference between the two, besides 720p HD video vs 1080p. Also suggested the Olympus E-PL2 and the Samsung NX100, due to their convenience with size and form factor.

Are these decent, good-value suggestions, or are there any other recommendations that ought to be thrown his way?

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

poopinmymouth posted:

If you need interchangeable lenses, m4/3 or Nex is a good choice, but if you don't (need different focal lengths) there isn't a contest.

...the spooge is justified.

...I think we're agreeing then?

Of course the x100 is an amazing camera that it's worth being excited about but it's not the ONLY valid choice out there, which a bunch of the early adopters here have been claiming is the case.

You said yourself m4/3 or NEX are a better choice in certain circumstances.

I guess I just wish people would keep that in mind rather than advise everyone in this thread (and others, it comes up very often in the general thread for example) that they should not consider anything other than the x100.

Especially if someone is already invested in a lens system like (m)4/3, it seems kinda crazy to me to say the x100 is the only correct choice.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

...I think we're agreeing then?

Of course the x100 is an amazing camera that it's worth being excited about but it's not the ONLY valid choice out there, which a bunch of the early adopters here have been claiming is the case.

You said yourself m4/3 or NEX are a better choice in certain circumstances.

I guess I just wish people would keep that in mind rather than advise everyone in this thread (and others, it comes up very often in the general thread for example) that they should not consider anything other than the x100.

Especially if someone is already invested in a lens system like (m)4/3, it seems kinda crazy to me to say the x100 is the only correct choice.

I haven't seen anyone proclaim the x100 as the only correct choice, maybe you could quote the posts that have done that? I've seen numerous posts suggesting that a person consider the x100, but even the most ardent X100-vangelists (me) understand that no interchangeable lens means it's not for everyone.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

I haven't seen anyone proclaim the x100 as the only correct choice, maybe you could quote the posts that have done that? I've seen numerous posts suggesting that a person consider the x100, but even the most ardent X100-vangelists (me) understand that no interchangeable lens means it's not for everyone.

poopinmymouth posted:

If you want dslr image quality, it is the only option.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

That's because I forgot about the sony Nex cameras, all the previous posts were about m4/3. If you're willing to go without a viewfinder, the NEX bodies also offer up incredible IQ.

Edited to fix. because I was wrong

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 20, 2011

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

poopinmymouth posted:

That's because I forgot about the sony Nex cameras, all the previous posts were about m4/3. If you're willing to go without a viewfinder, the NEX bodies also offer up incredible IQ.

Edited to fix. because I was wrong

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-FDASV1-Optical-Viewfinder-Black/dp/B003UU3KFO

There's definitely an OVF available for current NEX models. No EVF until the NEX7 drops and brings its' own hybrid sexiness to the debate.

I'm sorry I stirred up such a hornet's nest by asking about x100 v. M4/3. Tiny camera folks are a little touchy, it seems. This goes for overpriced point and shoot owners as well :P

I appreciate the debate and the advice, but quit tossing stats around and measuring your DxO-peen's and get back to taking the awesome photos I've seen you all take with your respective kit.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

krackmonkey posted:

I'm sorry I stirred up such a hornet's nest by asking about x100 v. M4/3. Tiny camera folks are a little touchy, it seems. This goes for overpriced point and shoot owners as well :P

Sounds like somebody has never been in a thread of Canon and Nikon DSLR owners.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Costello Jello posted:

Oh no, I've stared into the mouth of that particular madness before as well...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FWIW, a lot of people in the Oly thread have varying m4/3 cameras if you want some ideas over there. We just keep to ourselves and don't really bother anybody :shobon:

All 5 of us :smith:

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

All this talk is seriously making me reconsider bringing my DSLR on my upcoming extended trip through India/SE Asia...though as much as I would like it, not having a telephoto lens probably means that it cannot be a replacement, and the lack of a viewfinder on the NEX kinda kills me; though it would be nice to be able to use my LTM lenses.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Studebaker Hawk posted:

All this talk is seriously making me reconsider bringing my DSLR on my upcoming extended trip through India/SE Asia...though as much as I would like it, not having a telephoto lens probably means that it cannot be a replacement, and the lack of a viewfinder on the NEX kinda kills me; though it would be nice to be able to use my LTM lenses.

I haven't taken my 5D on either of my last two trips. I'm thinking of doing some research and seeing what the smallest 200mm lens I can find is (maybe Leica Visoflex or something?) and adding that to my NEX kit.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

krackmonkey posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-FDASV1-Optical-Viewfinder-Black/dp/B003UU3KFO

There's definitely an OVF available for current NEX models. No EVF until the NEX7 drops and brings its' own hybrid sexiness to the debate.

Yes, but... the add on hot-shoe OVFs for the Leica X1 (another good sensor small camera I forgot about, probably because it costs 2k) NEX, and others, not only make the camera less small and more bulky/awkward, but none of them have any kind of information displayed in them. Having to take your eye away everytime you want to check aperture, or shutter speed or confirm AF is annoying.

not to mention on the X100, after you take a photo, the EVF engages for 1.5 seconds to show you the image you just took, removing the need to chimp

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

poopinmymouth posted:

removing the need to chimp
Isn't this still effectively chimping? Also, why are you spoilering stuff? It just looks like the FREEDOM loving CIA got their hands on your post or something.

FWIW I have a GH1 and it is alot of fun. I am looking to downgrade/sidegrade/upgrade to a smaller m4/3 body sometime in the near future. Esp because they can all be hacked now.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
What hacking can you do to the m4/3 cams?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Evilkiksass posted:

Isn't this still effectively chimping? Also, why are you spoilering stuff? It just looks like the FREEDOM loving CIA got their hands on your post or something.

I just like using the spoiler tags, they're fun.

Yeah, it is still sort of chimping, but it takes less time. You don't take the camera away from your eye. The term I'm assuming refers to the photographer looking like an enamored chimpanzee goggling at this wonder-tech after every shot, disappearing from taking photos. If you don't take the camera away from your eye, seems less likely to fit the original intent of the word.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Hey PIMM, get ready to deal with it :smugdog:

NEX-7 to have X100-style viewfinder

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If it really is 24mp, it would be so tempting. A built in EVF is great, but I do find myself using the OVF 80% or more. I will be watching the Nex7 closely. :-D

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

quote:

As you see the NEX-7 has a rangefinder style a là Fuji X100 (Click here to see that camera)! As you know the NEX-7 will feature the same A77 24 Megapixel sensor and a 3 million dot OLED EVF (it is not a hybrid viewfinder!).

A 3 million dot OLED EVF would catch my interest. I find myself using EVF almost as much as the OVF because I like to see exposure/live histogram/DOF (with x100 the DOF isn't that useful, it's pretty easy to get everything you want in focus) but I could definitely see myself picking this up as my next ILC.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

It has been a while since I really read any post in this thread but I don't remember reading about the NEX focus peaking which seems like a pretty elegant solution until there is a viewfinder. Combined with a viewfinder this will be badass

http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/06/sony-firmware-update-brings-peaking-to-nex-3-and-nex-5

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Studebaker Hawk posted:

It has been a while since I really read any post in this thread but I don't remember reading about the NEX focus peaking which seems like a pretty elegant solution until there is a viewfinder. Combined with a viewfinder this will be badass

http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/06/sony-firmware-update-brings-peaking-to-nex-3-and-nex-5

I've played with it a little and have been completely impressed by how elegant a solution it really is. This is something that everyone should be ripping off and using as a standard feature in any camera that offers manual focusing.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
So focus peaking should work with a manual lens when it's stopped down too, right? Finally an easy to read DOF preview!

Now I just need to buy a NEX :(

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
It worked pretty well! I could even judge dof while intoxicated...

...and then I lost my NEX
:sob:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It really is inspired. When using old glass on my Oly E-420, I often have to resort to using the LCD and judging the pixel shimmer for accurate focus since the OVF is so small and dark. This is basically a reliable extension of that and I agree that everyone should start ripping it off.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

plasmoduck posted:

Thanks a lot =), I thought the film thread was more about developing, but now that I see people also talk about gear I will give it a try.
The film P&S thread will have what you need.

Costello Jello posted:

TBH both camps are pretty reasonable on here. Other boards, not so much.

Shmoogy posted:

A 3 million dot OLED EVF would catch my interest.
Pretty sure that's the back screen, not the one in the EVF. I don't think anyone makes anything that good in such a sall package.

ChiTownEddie posted:

It worked pretty well! I could even judge dof while intoxicated...
Best thing since sliced bread for cameras without an OVF. It's really, really awesome.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 22, 2011

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

The film P&S thread will have what you need.

Yeah actually, reading through that thread basically answered my questions XD - I ended up getting a Yashica GSN (for 40$ shipped) which should arrive next week. I've been praying that everything is functional as the seller claimed...

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
nothing to see here

moonduck fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 26, 2011

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The ovf on the x100 is awesome. Forgot my glasses one day and ended up having to use the ovf as a monocle, which worked out reasonably well I thought.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Edit

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 26, 2011

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I don't know how many of you saw this, but these releases are looking pretty exciting. I for one am excited about the NEX-7 and the new lenses for the NEX system.

Sony Alpha Rumors posted posted:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-huge-sony-leak/

(SR5) Huge Sony Leak!!!
According to our sources that is the list of new products Sony will announce on August 24:
A77 -> 24 megapixels
Vertical Grip VG-C77AM
16-50mm f/2.8 SSM
A65 -> Has the same 24 Megapixel sensor but less fps
NEX-7 -> I have beent told that this camera is a very serious Fuji X100 (Click here to se it) competitor!
NEX-5N -> An updated Sony NEX-5 with new sensor
LA-EA2 with built-in Translucent mirror -> A revivial of the Leica Visoflex (Click here to se it)
XGA external OLED viewfinder (works on NEX-5N only)
Zeiss 24mm f/1.8
Sony 55-210mm f/4-6.3 OSS
Sony 50mm f/1.8 OSS
VG-20 -> successor of the Sony NEX-VG10.

The Full A77, A65, NEX-7 and NEX-5N specs
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-the-full-a77-a65-nex-7-and-nex-5n-specs/

A77
24.3 MP Exmor HD CMOS sensor
19 points AF sensor with 11 cross sensors
ISO 100-16000, with expandeable ISO 50 option
1920 x 1080 60p/24p AVCHD 2.0
P/A/S/M manual controls while recording video
1200 zone metering
Completely new developed Bionz processor
12 fps
1/8000 shutter speed
TrueBlack 921k 3-way tilt LCD
3 million dot OLED viewfinder
Smart teleconverter function with 1.4x and 2.0x option
Built-in flash
Built-in GPS
Battery life with over over 500 shots
Magnesium alloy body
Dust and Moisture proof
Multi Frame NR
SD card (no CF!)

A65 (differences with the A77)
A77 has 19 point AF system with 11 cross sensors while the A65 has only 3 cross sensors.
A77 can do 12 fps while the A65 can do 10fps.
A77 has new 3 way tilting LCD, A65 has “classic” tilting LCD
A77 can do 50 ISO while A65 can not.
The A77 has a magnesium body while the A65 has not.
The A77 has 1/8000 shutter while A65 has a 1/4000 shutter
The A77 has a top LCD screen while the A65 has it not.
The A77 is Dust and Moisture proof while the A65 is not

NEX-7
24,3 Exmor HD sensor
100-16.000 ISO
1200 zone metering
1920×1080 60p/60i/24p AVCHD 2.0 (28Mbit/s) video recording
3 million dot XGA OLED viewfinder
3inch 921k TruBlack LCD display (touchscreen)
10 fps
20ms startup time
Built-in flash
New universal hot shoe
Battery life for over 400 shots
Magnesium alloy body

NEX-5N
16.1 MP Exmor sensor (Same us Sony NEX-C3)
ISO 100-25600
1920×1080 60p/60i/24p AVCHD 2.0 video recording
Shutter 1/4000
10 fps
Can take over 430 shots with one battery
Same AF speed as the GH2

VG-20
16 MPX Exmor sensor
1920×1080 60p/60i/24p AVCHD 2.0 video recording
Can record stills in RAW
3 inch touchscreen (swifel)
audio level control
IR AVR remote

And the news that makes me most excited, a hands on of the NEX-7 and the new Zeiss lens.

Sony Alpha Rumors posted posted:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-a-nex-7-one-minute-hands-on-report-zeiss-with-leaf-shutter/

A NEX-7 one minute hands-on report…(Zeiss with leaf shutter?)

I got a hands-on report made by one of my new sources. He saw the NEX-7 and Zeiss prototypes. The rumor is ranked with SR3 only because what he tested where prorotypes and might be a little bit different. For example I don’t knwo if what he saw was the final Zeiss version. My guess is that he tested a different version of the lens. Anyway, this is his text:

“I can tell you though that the NEX-7 feels good in the hand. I only got to use the camera for about a minute but the EVF is superb. It reminds me of what it’s like looking at an iPhone retina display. You simply can’t see the pixels because they are so small. I didn’t see any rainbow effects and the refresh rate was super fast. There is still a tiny bit of lag when panning but it’s much improved. I tested it inside a somewhat dark restaurant, performance may be better in good lighting. Autofocus with the 24mm is very fast. It seems its almost as fast as the m43rd’s cameras. Maybe just a tiny bit slower but the important thing is that for single autofocus is as fast as anybody would practically need it to be.

About the Zeiss lens: I’m told Sony spent a lot of time and effort trying to not make the lens too big without compromising quality. I haven’t seen image quality first hand but I’m told its typical zeiss quality. Beautiful colors and a high amount of natural contrast.

The Nex-7 is also going to be expensive because it has a customized sensor. Sony, I’m told, has struggled a bit with getting good corners because of the short registration distance. Sony originally planned for the NEX to be marketed at consumers and didn’t realize it would be a hit with enthusiast too. To combat the short registration distance, they put in some micro offset lenses. All lenses will benefit from this, including legacy glass so people will see improved performance with their rangefinder lenses.

The one real surprising news I can share with you is that the 24mm zeiss has a leaf shutter! I was very surprised to find this out but Sony is going to market this as the modern day rangefinder for street photography. I was told they are filming a commercial showing the evolution of the rangefinder into the NEX-7. It will be posted online in the coming months. It won’t be on tv because Sony doesn’t expect the average consumer to buy this camera, they believe the 3 and 5 series is for them.
I was told that the 3million dot evf will make manual focusing a bit better as well.

I had my X100 with me and I can tell you that the X100 vs NEX-7+24mm Zeiss is going to be a tremendous fight. The NEX is quieter than the X100 because you can hear the servo motor on the X100 while the Zeiss motor is dead silent.

You should tell your readers to hold off on buying the X100. I’m seriously contemplating selling my X100. I still prefer the OVF to the NEX EVF but overallt he NEX seems super impressive. The NEX-7 still has the same tilt screen which is useful for shooting from the hip.”

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 9, 2011

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

I just had all my gear stolen and am seriously considering the nex-7 as my primary camera and a cheap dslr for macro. Unfortunately, I am planning a lengthy trip overseas beginning Oct.1 and don't think the timing will work. I have been refreshing for a release date like an idiot.

I might just get a nex-5 and some lenses and wait...or an x100

Also leaf shutter :gizz:

Studebaker Hawk fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 9, 2011

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Leaf shutter owns, overpower the sun with built in flash on the x100, it's ridiculous.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

Pretty sure that's the back screen, not the one in the EVF. I don't think anyone makes anything that good in such a sall package.
Nah, that's supposed to be the viewfinder. Rumors are rumors and anything could change between now and the release date, but the high-resolution EVF has been a consistent rumor for months. Supposedly, it's the same one that's going into the a77. I'm not sure if the plan is to have finer pixels, a larger viewfinder, or both.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I just got a free art canvas printing offer for registering my x100 and for being an early adopter. it is $100 value so I am pretty happy.

If you guys havent registered your x100's do so now.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
The NEX-7 and the EP-3 were seriously tempting me into selling my x100 for an interchangeable system, but then I looked through the x100 viewfinder again and I wouldn't trade that for anything less. I don't even care that I need to menu dive sometimes and the autofocus is slow as gently caress.

There is also a rumor going on about an X50 being announced soon. It has a small sensor, but keeps the ovf.

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/08/22/fujifilm-x50-coming-soon-sleekness-of-the-x100-for-half-the-price/

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm a little iffy on the larger size of the NEX-7; while I'm sure it's not going to be massive, the biggest draw of the NEX-3 for me was the size. If it's bumping up on Rebel territory, I'd be more likely to just carry a DSLR. I'm sure they bulked it up a bit for the new viewfinder, but I imagine some of it was just to nip the inevitable "OMG TOO SMALL FOR ME" complaints from pros/semi-pros in the bud. The whole point of the system is to have something small (otherwise, just get a DSLR), so compromises like that irk me, especially since I'm 6'1" with proportionally-sized hands and haven't had an issue yet with any camera I've shot with. Quit complaining, you shovel-fisted babbies.

On the other hand, my NEX-3 gets a ton of use, and while I don't have any major complaints on it, a professional/prosumer type upgrade would be sorely tempting. I'm going to wait until it hits stores to see if I can live with the size, and if I like it, order one from the US (Japanese version only has Japanese menus, and more importantly, costs like US$500 more).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm a little iffy on the larger size of the NEX-7; while I'm sure it's not going to be massive, the biggest draw of the NEX-3 for me was the size. If it's bumping up on Rebel territory, I'd be more likely to just carry a DSLR. I'm sure they bulked it up a bit for the new viewfinder, but I imagine some of it was just to nip the inevitable "OMG TOO SMALL FOR ME" complaints from pros/semi-pros in the bud. The whole point of the system is to have something small (otherwise, just get a DSLR), so compromises like that irk me, especially since I'm 6'1" with proportionally-sized hands and haven't had an issue yet with any camera I've shot with. Quit complaining, you shovel-fisted babbies.

On the other hand, my NEX-3 gets a ton of use, and while I don't have any major complaints on it, a professional/prosumer type upgrade would be sorely tempting. I'm going to wait until it hits stores to see if I can live with the size, and if I like it, order one from the US (Japanese version only has Japanese menus, and more importantly, costs like US$500 more).

I'm amused by Amazon listing it at 6.2 pounds.