Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"BuyDig offers the Fujifilm X-M1 16.3-Megapixel Compact Digital SLR-Like Camera with a Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Lens for $529. Coupon code "BCD146237411" cuts the price to $414. With free shipping, that's a buck under our June mention and the lowest total price we've seen. (It's also a current low by $171.) It features a 3" tilting LCD, 1080p video capture, 802.11n wireless, and HDMI output."

You should be able to sell the kit lens for lease 150.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Welp, took the plunge and am selling my XF300 to fund an A7s.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

halwain posted:

I'm having problems deciding between a Fujifilm X-E2 and the X-A1. How much better is the x-e2 and what are the real advantages? Its the first time im getting a mirrorless camera and im
not really sure if the higher pricepoint of the X-E2 is worth it or not.

The X-A1 has neither an xtrans sensor nor a veiwfinder. Buying a Fuji with without the two main draws of the system is a bad idea.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 25, 2014

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I think the X-E1 with its faster kit lens is a steal at the current used prices of $600ish. Something to consider as well if you're okay with slowish autofocus. Has xtrans and viewfinder.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

8th-snype posted:

The X-A1 has neither an xtrans sensor nor a veiwfinder. Buying a Fuji with with the two main draws of the system is a bad idea.

The viewfinder is something to consider but by all reports the X-A1's output quality is very close to (if not the same as) the X-Trans sensors. It's also the smallest, cheapest body in the system and uses the same second generation processor as the X-E2 and X-T1.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

powderific posted:

Welp, took the plunge and am selling my XF300 to fund an A7s.

Prepare to be blown away. The reviews seriously do not do this camera justice. It's not as sexy as the Fuji cameras, but if you're looking at it from the "right tool for the job" perspective, it's incredible.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
In that updated Fuji lens map, the 16-55 f/2.8 that was rumored to have OIS is relisted with no OIS :(

I'm not saying IS is needed for that focal range, but I'm certain the lens will be near $1000, if not more. You'd assume OIS for that much money, but maybe it will come out cheaper.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

HPL posted:

Prepare to be blown away. The reviews seriously do not do this camera justice. It's not as sexy as the Fuji cameras, but if you're looking at it from the "right tool for the job" perspective, it's incredible.
The problem i have with the a7 series is that sony will inevitably release an a7 mark 2 next year that includes all of the improvements and drop support for the old cameras.

Fuji, at least, humors me by patching my xpro-1.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Malcolm XML posted:

The problem i have with the a7 series is that sony will inevitably release an a7 mark 2 next year that includes all of the improvements and drop support for the old cameras.

Fuji, at least, humors me by patching my xpro-1.

With a totally new lens mount for the curved sensors they're working on

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

timrenzi574 posted:

And little in the way of lens support.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Musket posted:

And little in the way of lens support.

And say goodbye to adapted lenses since the lenses have to be designed to project onto a curved surface rather than a flat one. While I suppose it's possible to use adapters with corrective optics, I doubt the resulting image will look that great nor will the adapter be cheap.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

halwain posted:

I'm having problems deciding between a Fujifilm X-E2 and the X-A1. How much better is the x-e2 and what are the real advantages? Its the first time im getting a mirrorless camera and im
not really sure if the higher pricepoint of the X-E2 is worth it or not.

8th-snype posted:

The X-A1 has neither an xtrans sensor nor a veiwfinder. Buying a Fuji with with the two main draws of the system is a bad idea.

By all accounts the X-A1's sensor is really good for the money, even among Bayer sensors. I would let the viewfinder be the deciding factor between the two. If you're used to using rear LCDs to compose your images and it doesn't bother you, the X-A1 might be a better introductory option, especially at that price. That said the X-E2 is probably more enjoyable to use and the viewfinder is best in class awesome.

In this case, since the practical differences to you are almost entirely ergonomic, you really should drop into a camera store and handle both.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 24, 2014

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

That sigma 30mm 2.8 for E mount seems to be backordered everywhere. Any reason not to buy the old one used?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read a review somewhere that said the old one might actually be ever so slightly better? I can't confirm that at all though.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
The old one just looks uglier, that's about it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

I suspect the curved sensors will take a longer time to hit the interchangeable lens mount cameras because it doesn't play nicely with zoom lenses yet. More likely to see it in fixed lens cameras like the next RX1 model first.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

alkanphel posted:

I suspect the curved sensors will take a longer time to hit the interchangeable lens mount cameras because it doesn't play nicely with zoom lenses yet. More likely to see it in fixed lens cameras like the next RX1 model first.

Probably, I was mostly being facetious. Just would be a very Sony thing to do.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

alkanphel posted:

Curved sensors only make sense on fixed lens cameras

They are a way of reducing the number of lens elements which are big and expensive

At the cost of fixing a particular curvature which is ok if you can match the lens focal surface to the sensor!

The human eye cannot zoom so that's probably a reason why the retina can be curved

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Malcolm XML posted:

Curved sensors only make sense on fixed lens cameras

They are a way of reducing the number of lens elements which are big and expensive

Pretty sure you could design an interchangeable-lens curved sensor. You'd just need to make sure that all the lenses have the same nodal point (which they have to in order to have a fixed register distance) and a fixed curvature of field, right?

I mean there's nothing particularly special about a flat focal plane, I don't see how it's a crucial element of interchangeable lens mounts.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 25, 2014

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Got my Viltrox EOS-EF adapter in last week. Tried shooting a concert with a Tamron 28-75 and Tokia 11-16 last night. While it's nice to have the zoom capability of the 28-75, I think I'll stick to primes. The 28-75 is just too fricking huge with the adapter on relative to the A7S that it's like shooting with a 70-200, bulk-wise. The 11-16 works great from 15-16mm, but you need to take off the lens hood at 15mm. I might keep the 11-16 in my regular kit though as I don't have a comparable prime lens right now. The Sony 16mm pancake works okay at full frame, but the edges of the frame are crap.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Another thing I've found, and I can't confirm this, but it seems like AF speed is related to shutter speed. The faster the shutter speed, the faster the AF, which I guess makes sense on a liveview-based system.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

HPL posted:

Another thing I've found, and I can't confirm this, but it seems like AF speed is related to shutter speed. The faster the shutter speed, the faster the AF, which I guess makes sense on a liveview-based system.

Are you sure that isn't just AF being slower in worse light?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-snype posted:

Yeah, "lots of light" would certainly account for both better AF performance and high shutter speed.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pretty sure you could design an interchangeable-lens curved sensor. You'd just need to make sure that all the lenses have the same nodal point (which they have to in order to have a fixed register distance) and a fixed curvature of field, right?

I mean there's nothing particularly special about a flat focal plane, I don't see how it's a crucial element of interchangeable lens mounts.

Sure but it defeats the point of saving a few lens elements and making a flat sensor is far easier than a curved one

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

8th-snype posted:

No. If I bump up the ISO or open up the aperture, it locks on faster.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

whatever7 posted:

"BuyDig offers the Fujifilm X-M1 16.3-Megapixel Compact Digital SLR-Like Camera with a Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Lens for $529. Coupon code "BCD146237411" cuts the price to $414. With free shipping, that's a buck under our June mention and the lowest total price we've seen. (It's also a current low by $171.) It features a 3" tilting LCD, 1080p video capture, 802.11n wireless, and HDMI output."

You should be able to sell the kit lens for lease 150.

Is it worth selling my K01 for this? How does the image quality compare? I know the x-M1 is half the size, at least.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A7s arrived, but I discovered that it won't let me use X-AVCS withouth a 64gig or larger card, which I don't have. Not sure why it needs that since I can record the same bitrate fine from a C300 on 32GB Cf cards. Oh well, looks like I'm making a shopping trip.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I want to start taking some landscape shots with my x100s. I'm thinking I should get a polarizer and probably a lens hood as well (I already have a solid tripod). Anyone have recommendations?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I prefer graduated ND filter myself.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I don't think a polarizer will help a ton with landscapes, an ND filter and a generic rubber lens hood would be a better investment.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't think a polarizer will help a ton with landscapes

Err.... Why not? CPFs are great for making skies more saturated or removing reflections from water.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Polarizers clean up the reflections on leaves too. It's great for landscapes. Get a good quality CP and a good quality ND for bright days. You get what you pay for with those filters, I've found.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
But maybe look at wide angle photos shot with a CPL first, because I personally loving hate the uneven black sky effect.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

RustedChrome posted:

Polarizers clean up the reflections on leaves too. It's great for landscapes. Get a good quality CP and a good quality ND for bright days. You get what you pay for with those filters, I've found.
I'm looking at the "B+W 49mm Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter" (~$90) and the "B+W 49mm 3.0 ND 110 Filter" (~$45). Are those good choices for quality and value? A GND would be nice as well, but there don't seem to be any decent filters w/ adjustable graduation point short of going w/ a bulky filter system.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

B+W filters are great. This is all hearsay, but the Kaesemann's supposedly let a litle more light through and add a very small yellow tint. I've never noticed the yellow tint, but I've also never done a comparison between an MRC and a Kaesemann. The thing that sold me on the Kaesemann is the weather-sealing since I tend to shoot in rain a lot.

If you don't need the B+W, go with a Marumi.

edit: The link that's been floating around forever:
http://www.lenstip.com/115.4-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Results_and_summary.html

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 31, 2014

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I've had great luck with B+W, Marumi and old Hoya's.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

If I'm happy with my X-E2s and don't shoot sports, nor do I really need weather sealing, are there any major benefits to upgrading one to an X-T1? Is the autofocus really that much better for everyday stuff?

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

Bob Socko posted:

If I'm happy with my X-E2s and don't shoot sports, nor do I really need weather sealing, are there any major benefits to upgrading one to an X-T1? Is the autofocus really that much better for everyday stuff?

1. Yeah, it kinda is.
2. Ergonomically, the X-T1 is MILES ahead of the X-E2, downside is it is a bigger camera, so if size matters...
3. DAT HUGE EVF, seriously, it's like a window.
4. Articulating screen - you're a former Sony guy, much like myself, the flippy screens rock.
5. Battery grip, with 2 full batteries on tap, I almost never have to worry about swapping out in a normal day of always-on walkabout use.

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy
Well I broke down and ordered a X-T1. Any accessories that I should be looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Gom Jabbar posted:

Well I broke down and ordered a X-T1. Any accessories that I should be looking for?

The extended eyecup is a nice addon, especially when it's bright outside.

In my opinion, a grip is not needed.