Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Stealthgerbil posted:

Which mirrorless tend to have the best compatibility with old lens? I was looking at getting an old olympus E-P1 or a Nex3/5. I don't need anything fancy, I just want to be able to play around with my old lens from my nikon/minolta/etc, I really like the old style of the E-P1s though.

Get a NEX or a Fuji. M4/3 adapts lenses well too, but the 2x crop factor makes everything a pretty long telephoto lens. Go for any of the NEX-5's with a letter attached to their name, a NEX-7, or an A7 if you have full frame money/needs; On the Fuji side any of them but the X-A1 has the features and body style you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Elliotw2 posted:

Get a NEX or a Fuji. M4/3 adapts lenses well too, but the 2x crop factor makes everything a pretty long telephoto lens. Go for any of the NEX-5's with a letter attached to their name, a NEX-7, or an A7 if you have full frame money/needs; On the Fuji side any of them but the X-A1 has the features and body style you want.

What's wrong with the X-A1 precisely? The photo quality is almost identical to the X-M1 and is much cheaper

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

grack posted:

What's wrong with the X-A1 precisely? The photo quality is almost identical to the X-M1 and is much cheaper

Its $50 cheaper really. I like the XA1 better than XM1 though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

grack posted:

He said he wanted the rangefinder style body, for the $50 I figure he'd be happier with the rangefinder body instead of something that looks the same as a NEX.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

whatever7 posted:

Its $50 cheaper really. I like the XA1 better than XM1 though.

Okay, well, it's like $200 cheaper in Canada

Elliotw2 posted:

He said he wanted the rangefinder style body, for the $50 I figure he'd be happier with the rangefinder body instead of something that looks the same as a NEX.

Now I'm confused. The X-M1/X-A1 look nothing like NEX cameras. In fact, they look very much like rangefinders but missing an eye-level viewfinder.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The Sony A7 series is best for old lenses. You get the true focal length without crop factor, you get a great viewfinder and you get focus peaking. The plain A7 has dropped down to the point where it's quite affordable (relativeley speaking) if it goes on sale.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

The A7 is super sexy but about 5x what I want to spend. I think I am going to try to find a cheap fuji X-E1 or X10 or a sony nex 5n. My budget is like $150-$250 for a used one. I think in this market, I can find a pretty decent used mirrorless to go along with my DSLR.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
More of Sony's fascinating "throw all sorts of poo poo to the wall and see what sticks then forget about it entirely" strategy in action: one of those modules that attaches to a smartphone, this time with an interchangeable APS-C E-mount.

:negative:

Any of you XT1 owners want to post up some high ISO shots? Got a bit on my plate the next week or so, but I'm putting more serious thought into jumping ship from Sony.

Stealthgerbil posted:

The A7 is super sexy but about 5x what I want to spend. I think I am going to try to find a cheap fuji X-E1 or X10 or a sony nex 5n. My budget is like $150-$250 for a used one. I think in this market, I can find a pretty decent used mirrorless to go along with my DSLR.

The X-E1 is gonna run about $275 (was pricing them this morning) for a used body. I would go with the 5n if you don't care about native mount glass.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Here's two shots at ISO 3200 on an X-T1, without and with a minor amount of noise reduction done in Lightroom.

It was taken at ISO 3200, but required +1.7 EV to produce the photo here. I also had some native shots at 6400, but nothing that I liked enough to post.

For reference, the photo was shot at ISO 3200, f/1.4 at 1/60th, so it was pretty dim. She's lit almost entirely by a tea light, which explains the odd white balance in the background.

No noise reduction:

Some noise reduction:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Any of you XT1 owners want to post up some high ISO shots? Got a bit on my plate the next week or so, but I'm putting more serious thought into jumping ship from Sony.

Some I took when I first got mine.

fknlo posted:

Mine is in that serial # range :ohdear: . Haven't noticed anything yet.

Went to an art museum to get some low-light samples. All jpegs right out of the camera with some minor cropping and nothing else done.

ISO 2500

DSCF1083 by jg zkc, on Flickr

DSCF1074 by jg zkc, on Flickr

ISO 5000

DSCF1077 by jg zkc, on Flickr

ISO 12800

DSCF1100 by jg zkc, on Flickr

DSCF1102 by jg zkc, on Flickr

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
The ISO performance is easily my favourite part of the camera.

6400:
DSCF4400.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

12800:

Turn the other cheek by Geektox, on Flickr

I don't think I have any 25600 shots kept, but that has way more to do with bad skills than a fault with the camera. The images you'll get can definitely be keepable.

Just FYI the camera won't shoot RAW when you set it to 12800-25600, JPGs only.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Is the Fujifilm X-10 still considered decent? Someone offered me one with the stock lens for $230 and I am contemplating buying it. From looking around, the lens can go for quite a bit on their own and reviews make it seem like a decent camera, even if it is only 12mp.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The X10 is a point and shoot camera, so the lens isn't going anywhere. It is however a good point and shoot, and $230 is a pretty average price for a used one.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
The x10 is a fixed-lens point and shoot, though. $230 is a pretty OK price but it's not a screaming good deal or anything.

Efb

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Could have swore I saw one with just the body for sale. I think im just going to try to get a nex-5n or fuji X-E1

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Stealthgerbil posted:

Could have swore I saw one with just the body for sale. I think im just going to try to get a nex-5n or fuji X-E1

You're definitely thinking of a different camera, x10 is fixed lens.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Just checking in to say the X-T1 wireless linkup owns owns owns. From letting me leave the tripod at home and use just a bean bag to catch some nice fireworks photos in July, to just now using it with a tripod to snap some self-portraits for a passport renewal, it's the gift that never stops giving.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

bobfather posted:

Just checking in to say the X-T1 wireless linkup owns owns owns. From letting me leave the tripod at home and use just a bean bag to catch some nice fireworks photos in July, to just now using it with a tripod to snap some self-portraits for a passport renewal, it's the gift that never stops giving.

You're talking about the phone app right? Is there a bulb option I missed, or did you just shoot the fireworks with a fixed exposure length?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Doodarazumas posted:

You're talking about the phone app right? Is there a bulb option I missed, or did you just shoot the fireworks with a fixed exposure length?

No bulb mode in the current version of the app, but that will probably be fixed (since the camera can do bulb with a shutter release cord).

I was just doing 5-10s exposures, which was plenty to expose some beautiful trails.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

bobfather posted:

No bulb mode in the current version of the app, but that will probably be fixed (since the camera can do bulb with a shutter release cord).

I was just doing 5-10s exposures, which was plenty to expose some beautiful trails.

Quoting to agree that the X-T1's wifi mode is awesome and bulb mode would make it even awesomer.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Went to my brother-in-law's annual party / baseball game / yard concert festival this week, and I was really pleased with the A7r's performance. I mean, annual softball isn't exactly the fastest game in the world, but I only had my 55 on me and some of them came out nicely.

Plus it's hilarious looking at someone going for what is obviously (from the picture's point of view) a poor throw.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rumors and scuttlebutt now have the weather/dust sealed Oly 40-150mm f/2.8 costing around $1,200-1,300 and potentially also coming packaged with a 1.4x teleconverter (at around $1500), which would be a hoot.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I'm shooting a wedding next weekend on my X cameras and ordered a Fotasy grip for the X-E2 and it's not bad. They are $42 on amazon with prime shipping if anyone is looking for a cheap L plate.

EDIT: I take it back, the vertical arca plate is too small for the clamp on my monopod to secure tightly. It holds the camera but I wouldn't trust it. Bottom plate works great.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 4, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone bother to make fun of the Sony NEX mount on a smartphone thing? I mean, how big your committee has to be to design something so unusable?

All they have to do is completely detach the capturing and the controlling devices and add a good quick release system, but no, apparently the Sony engineers are not photographers.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That's basically what they did. It's the sensor and mount out of the A6000, and you can use it in full auto by pointing and pushing a button, or you can use the same wifi app as their normal cameras to remotely have a viewfinder and full controls. I'm not going to buy it, but I could see it having some actual uses.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Anyone bother to make fun of the Sony NEX mount on a smartphone thing?

Yeah, a bit farther up the page. Just exasperation at this point though.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Can anyone recommend a nice messenger style bag that:
Isn't to big
Isn't made of plastic
Less than $200
Will hold a EM5 and a couple lenses

grack
Jan 10, 2012

whatever7 posted:

Anyone bother to make fun of the Sony NEX mount on a smartphone thing? I mean, how big your committee has to be to design something so unusable?

All they have to do is completely detach the capturing and the controlling devices and add a good quick release system, but no, apparently the Sony engineers are not photographers.

Sometimes you get the A7 series sometimes you get the QX series. :shrug:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

Can anyone recommend a nice messenger style bag that:
Isn't to big
Isn't made of plastic
Less than $200
Will hold a EM5 and a couple lenses

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/shoulder-camera-bags/mirrorless-mover.aspx

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Why are nex buttons so flat with the body? Like they don't want us to push them, except for godawful movie buttons.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I don't have issues except with the movie button, which is so recessed I need to use a pen to push it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The shutter button not triggering recording, but instead popping up a message that says you can take stills in movie mode, is the most asinine usability decision. Why would they do that? Especially on the A7s where the stupid camera's main point is video.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

powderific posted:

The shutter button not triggering recording, but instead popping up a message that says you can take stills in movie mode, is the most asinine usability decision. Why would they do that? Especially on the A7s where the stupid camera's main point is video.

hi welcome to japanese ui design, i see you're new here

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

So I'm planning a fairly lengthy trip around Australia starting sort of mid/late next year, and wanted to get a new mirrorless to take with me. The thing is, it'll be freezing in the Snowys, tropical/humid through top of NSW and Queensland, and dusty/sandy in the top end and WA, and I wanted a recommendation on a camera with really solid weather sealing.

This is a context in which it makes sense to go with weather sealing, right? The Olympus EM-5 and Lumix GH3 seem to have the feature set I'm after, at about what I'm willing to spend. That said, if I leave buying the camera until closer to my trip, the Sony A7 will probably have had a price drop and that does seem to be the mirrorless darling at the moment.

I don't really have a system preference, because this is'll be an upgrade from a Canon 400D that a friend wants to buy the lenses off of.

Any thoughts on a sturdy, weather sealed mirrorless camera that would suit a pair of large hands? Would appreciate any advice.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I have the EM-5 and I'm 6'6" so I have fairly big hands as well. On its own it fits my hands alright but with the full battery grip it's much nicer.

The body is sealed against dust, sand, rain, splashes, pretty much everything. The only sealed lenses right now are the 12-40mm f/2.8 and 60mm f/2.8 macro. They're both great lenses and I've used each a lot in my own travels. The old kit lens 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 is alright for video and is sealed as well but the aperture leaves a lot to be desired. Still, if that's all you can get, it's every bit as well sealed as the others.

I've used mine in a lot of rain storms, and I use them to shoot Spartan Races (those goofy mud crawl, obstacle course marathon run things) which are usually very dusty and muddy and they run just fine in them. I've washed them off in the hotel's bathroom sink without a problem.

There are legit knocks against Olympus about a few things (sensors, ISO performance, crop factor) but their weather sealing is phenomenal and really lets you go confidently into just about any situation.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Mirrorless Rumors posted:

- 28 MP APS-C CMOS Sensor (ISOCELL tech)
- DRIMe Image Signal Processor
- ISO 100-51200
- 15 fps with tracking.
- UHD 4K 3840×2160 at 30p/24p
- Full HD up to 60p
- 3″ Tiltable AMOLED Touch Display
- Water and dust proof
- Wi-Fi and NFC Connectivity
- Magnesium Alloy, Weather-Sealed Body
- Vertical grip available.
- Will announce revolutionary PD system (200 AF points, 154 cross-type?)
- Best high ISO performance and EVF among crop sensor bodies.

Woah, there's some specs. But who is going to be announcing this crop sensor action monster?

Its Samsung, that's who :wtf:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Fuji 50-140 f/2.8 info has been released. Lens appears to be slated for release in 2015 sometime.

It's a fat boy, weighing in at nearly 1 kilo, and it's nearly as long as any of the 70-200s from Nikon or Canon.

Fuji appear to want $1599 for it, which puts it squarely in the price territory of the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 mk 1.

The optical design looks complex, and with Fuji bodies lacking AA filters, I'd bet it will end up equaling the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 mk II in terms of sharpness, and probably exceeding it in color rendition. That's just my hypothesis though, based upon the quality of Fuji's other recent lens releases.

It's a tough sell for me, because as a previous owner of a Canon 70-200 F4 IS, I remember how light, sharp, and wonderful that lens was. Too bad the Fuji will be so fat, but I guess you can't cheat physics.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 5, 2014

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

bobfather posted:

The Fuji 50-140 f/2.8 info has been released. Lens appears to be slated for release in 2015 sometime.

It's a fat boy, weighing in at nearly 1 kilo, and it's nearly as long as any of the 70-200s from Nikon or Canon.

Fuji appear to want $1599 for it, which puts it squarely in the price territory of the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 mk 1.

The optical design looks complex, and with Fuji bodies lacking AA filters, I'd bet it will end up equaling the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 mk II in terms of sharpness, and probably exceeding it in color rendition. That's just my hypothesis though, based upon the quality of Fuji's other recent lens releases.

It's a tough sell for me, because as a previous owner of a Canon 70-200 F4 IS, I remember how light, sharp, and wonderful that lens was. Too bad the Fuji will be so fat, but I guess you can't cheat physics.

Dat ebc coating.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
I was hoping it would be around $1200 but gently caress I'm going to end up buying it anyways. I wonder when the info for the 16-55 2.8 will drop. Now all they need is to up their game in the flash category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its too heavy. I am looking at the next x100. I am actually glad Fuji hasn't released any toy I am interested in this year. The only thing I want is a X-deal for the 56mm and i am set.