Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dodob
May 20, 2004
Anyone have any small ring flash/ring diffusers for portraits that are suitable for mirror less, namely m43? Bonus points if it the lights can stay on for video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Fart Car '97 posted:

The XT-1 is the first Fuji body to not have poo poo continuous focus. It's OK, not world class, but it's much better than the bullshit 're-focus every single shot' they had implemented before it.

E: Oh my god I just learned about high-performance mode on the XT-1 :aaa:

I'm not concerned about it really, the only thing I have used AF-C for in like 10 years is brides walking down an isle and this was an outdoor wedding so f/8 had my back. Yeah, the first time I switched the Xpro to C mode and pointed it at the dog I was like WTF. I'm not some baby that needs their hand held by a good AF module I shot Nikon prosumer models before they were any good so this is a tiny annoyance, Compared to say...shooting a wedding with a D70 that had the center AF point missmarked on the focus screen. Boy that was fun.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

8th-snype posted:

I'm not concerned about it really, the only thing I have used AF-C for in like 10 years is brides walking down an isle and this was an outdoor wedding so f/8 had my back. Yeah, the first time I switched the Xpro to C mode and pointed it at the dog I was like WTF. I'm not some baby that needs their hand held by a good AF module I shot Nikon prosumer models before they were any good so this is a tiny annoyance, Compared to say...shooting a wedding with a D70 that had the center AF point missmarked on the focus screen. Boy that was fun.

Yeah I'm just sayin, they've got it sorted out at this point. It's not great, and certainly not in the same league as the current generation of prosumer bodies, but it's also function now where it used to be just loving useless and baffling.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Not exactly related to mirrorless but I'm hoping for recommendations for a wifi sdcard. I have no idea if such a product exists. Basically I'm looking for a sdcard that automatically uploads it's photos to a computer or tablet once in a known wifi network. Obviously a program would have to be running on the computer or the tablet to receive the photos. Is there such a thing? If there isn't a sdcard that does it, are there mirrorless cameras with wifi that has that function?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

lostleaf posted:

Not exactly related to mirrorless but I'm hoping for recommendations for a wifi sdcard. I have no idea if such a product exists. Basically I'm looking for a sdcard that automatically uploads it's photos to a computer or tablet once in a known wifi network. Obviously a program would have to be running on the computer or the tablet to receive the photos. Is there such a thing? If there isn't a sdcard that does it, are there mirrorless cameras with wifi that has that function?

Eye-Fi cards

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a road trip coming up. It's too late to get a droid to play around with now.

I am think of getting a GM1 as automatic time lapse machine. Is there any cheaper m43 body that can make time lapse video (not sequenced jpeg, videos) other than the GM1?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

grack posted:

Eye-Fi cards

Does it automatically upload the photos to a computer once on a wifi network? I thought eyefi sets itself up as a access point and you have to manually grab the photos by connecting to its network?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

lostleaf posted:

Does it automatically upload the photos to a computer once on a wifi network? I thought eyefi sets itself up as a access point and you have to manually grab the photos by connecting to its network?

You can set Eye-Fi to automatically upload all non-protected photos/videos when it connects to a specific network.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

lostleaf posted:

Look all I know is that pictures of my dick somehow ended up being automatically posted to my grandmother's Flickr and then everyone's saying I ruined Christmas.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

grack posted:

You can set Eye-Fi to automatically upload all non-protected photos/videos when it connects to a specific network.

Reminder that it does this using power from the SD slot in addition to what the SD controller does. Even with relatively power-efficient wifi chipsets, this might have a noticeable effect on something that doesn't have a giant battery.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's probably worth mentioning that eye-fi cards aren't terribly large, and the bandwidth is kinda awful, so transferring a day's worth of raws isn't a great idea.

edit: This is also an issue with cameras with built in wifi, of course.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 23, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elliotw2 posted:

It's probably worth mentioning that eye-fi cards aren't terribly large, and the bandwidth is kinda awful, so transferring a day's worth of raws isn't a great idea.

I find eye-fi is much easier than camera-fi. It just pipes the photos to my w8 tablet. I don't have to baby it.

Nobody can help me with the m43/time lapse question?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

whatever7 posted:

I have a road trip coming up. It's too late to get a droid to play around with now.

I am think of getting a GM1 as automatic time lapse machine. Is there any cheaper m43 body that can make time lapse video (not sequenced jpeg, videos) other than the GM1?

whatever7 posted:

Any camera that works with Triggertrap should be able to handle your time lapse needs. It looks like there are at least a few models cheaper than the GM1 that are supported. Not sure what you mean by video vs sequenced jpeg though. Do you mean you want the camera to automatically convert the captured stills into a video? That may be harder to find, but if that's what you mean, I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker. There is software that makes converting a sequence of jpegs to a time lapse video a breeze.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Splinter posted:

Any camera that works with Triggertrap should be able to handle your time lapse needs. It looks like there are at least a few models cheaper than the GM1 that are supported. Not sure what you mean by video vs sequenced jpeg though. Do you mean you want the camera to automatically convert the captured stills into a video? That may be harder to find, but if that's what you mean, I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker. There is software that makes converting a sequence of jpegs to a time lapse video a breeze.

Suddenly I have a deep need to find my Arduino poo poo.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

whatever7 posted:

I find eye-fi is much easier than camera-fi. It just pipes the photos to my w8 tablet. I don't have to baby it.

Just wrap the rubber band around whatever camera you want, especially if your camera has an antishock delay mode thing like oly cameras seem to do.

I'm serious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lozjZoRP5lM

To be honest though, a go pro is awesome for timelapses in every way, if you're just shooting for something easy and reliable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJn_XgQVCIM

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Despair posted:

Just wrap the rubber band around whatever camera you want, especially if your camera has an antishock delay mode thing like oly cameras seem to do.

I'm serious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lozjZoRP5lM

To be honest though, a go pro is awesome for timelapses in every way, if you're just shooting for something easy and reliable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJn_XgQVCIM

Noh its ok. I already have a S110 with CHDK installed to shoot time lapse. I am just tired of running video compiling program on my Windows tablet.

I just realized ever since I brought my S110 and 3(!) extra batteries, I have only made a few time lapse video this year. I will stick with S110 this year and upgrade to GM1 next year. I look around, only GM1 and GX7 can make time lapse video in body.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

Wifi cards are pretty bad for anything but amateur level 'neato gadget' type photography. I use mine as basically an instagram beast machine on an x100s. They chug as it is with jpeg, I can't imagine how bad RAW could be. I'm also using an older eye-fi so maybe they've improved the technology.

One time someone had the bright idea to have several photographers shooting wifi cards at a fashion show, all uploading to one computer so they could be live-tweeted. It was a clusterfuck; when we were testing one shot at a time it was fine, but 5 photographers shooting simultaneously bogged it down badly.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I bought trigger trap and have been enjoying it immensely, but I don't really have a baller time lapse to share yet. The learning curve for the app is easy, the photo setting for night to day are whooping my rear end.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

red19fire posted:

Wifi cards are pretty bad for anything but amateur level 'neato gadget' type photography. I use mine as basically an instagram beast machine on an x100s. They chug as it is with jpeg, I can't imagine how bad RAW could be. I'm also using an older eye-fi so maybe they've improved the technology.

One time someone had the bright idea to have several photographers shooting wifi cards at a fashion show, all uploading to one computer so they could be live-tweeted. It was a clusterfuck; when we were testing one shot at a time it was fine, but 5 photographers shooting simultaneously bogged it down badly.

You have to configure the eye-fi card to upload thru the wireless router. Connecting to a PC basically ask the PC connect to 5 different access points and download photos from 5 different access points.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Cool I guess eye fi cards it is.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

I bought trigger trap and have been enjoying it immensely, but I don't really have a baller time lapse to share yet. The learning curve for the app is easy, the photo setting for night to day are whooping my rear end.

I forgot about triggertrap, but yeah, this is a cheap and easy way to turn whatever m43 camera you want into a timelapse machine.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

lostleaf posted:

Cool I guess eye fi cards it is.

I have an older one, it absolutely sucks for RAWs. It's adequate for keeping up with JPEGs and it's neat for sending pictures to your phone so you can instagram them or whatever. I keep it in the second slot of my D7k and copy photos to that card using the camera menus (protect the image then copy protected images from one card to the other) if I want to send them to my phone. The D7k has eye-fi stuff in the menus, you can turn the card's wifi on/off.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I just bought a used OMD E5 with the 14-42. I can't handle the heft of my Canon gear anymore, and I really don't like carrying it around. The IBIS was the selling point for me .. that and adapting every lens on the planet practically.

What are some of the best lenses to adapt to cover the "general" focus ranges?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I just bought a used OMD E5 with the 14-42. I can't handle the heft of my Canon gear anymore, and I really don't like carrying it around. The IBIS was the selling point for me .. that and adapting every lens on the planet practically.

What are some of the best lenses to adapt to cover the "general" focus ranges?

You're gonna love it. The 14-42 is a hell of a lens.

Are you talking about MF lenses you'd want to adapt? Or are you looking for other good m4/3 lenses?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

With m43, you want to adapt the more wide, or c mount lenses really. Most normal slr lenses become telephoto, due to the 2x crop factor.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 27, 2014

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

DJExile posted:

You're gonna love it. The 14-42 is a hell of a lens.

Are you talking about MF lenses you'd want to adapt? Or are you looking for other good m4/3 lenses?

Well, I'd like a good wide angle for cheap(er), but even looking at the native wide angles they are not badly priced. Kinda shocked really. Are there any "Must Have" wide angle lenses that are adapted from other systems for the m4/3? MF is just fine as well.

Edit : Just checked ebay for c mount lenses .. I think I've made the right choice with this camera.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 27, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

A lot of the c mount lenses on ebay are trash, though, always research what you're buying.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Well, I'd like a good wide angle for cheap(er), but even looking at the native wide angles they are not badly priced. Kinda shocked really. Are there any "Must Have" wide angle lenses that are adapted from other systems for the m4/3? MF is just fine as well.

Edit : Just checked ebay for c mount lenses .. I think I've made the right choice with this camera.

The voigtlander 15/4.5 is the king of wide angles, although even that is only 30mm after the crop. Really useful focal length though, and super small for how nice it is.

The nikon 180/2.8 ED (not the IF one, you want the old ai-s one) is a great telephoto too, if you want something on the long side.

The old screwmount takumar 35/3.5 is a really nice lens too, although the focal length is a bit odd with the 2x crop. Any 50/1.4 is going to make for a decent portrait lens in a pinch though.

The body cap lenses (15 and 9 mm I think) are fun and cheap wide angles too.

I do prefer sticking with primes when adapting, just because you have to punch in the focal length to get IS to work. Makes using a zoom lens awkward if you want stabilization.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I still have a china made Wesley 33mm f1.6 "Movie" C mount lens. I bought it just to compare with the 35mm 1.4.

Any poor student in New York can have it for cheap.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

The body cap lenses (15 and 9 mm I think) are fun and cheap wide angles too.

Yeah these are a hoot and you can find them for dirt cheap. They're both under $100 NIB I think

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I am buying the 17mm next and then possibly the 12mm. I love the primes and hope to end with the samyang fisheye, 12, 17, 25 and 45, 60mm macro.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

I am buying the 17mm next and then possibly the 12mm. I love the primes and hope to end with the samyang fisheye, 12, 17, 25 and 45, 60mm macro.

I haven't had a chance to try the 12mm but I hear great things.

The 45mm and 60mm macro own a lot.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

DJExile posted:

I haven't had a chance to try the 12mm but I hear great things.

The 45mm and 60mm macro own a lot.

I love my 45 it delivers excellence when I do my part.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Picked up an oly 40-150 for $67. I know not an amazing lens but for the price it's hard to beat to extend the range. Now just need something in the wide area.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Just note that sample variation on the m4/3 lenses can be pretty bad sometimes. I got a bad copy of the 17/1.8 and 45/1.8, but amazing copies of the 25/1.4 and 60 macro lenses. My friend on the other hand got a superb 45/1.8 but a horrible 25/1.4. We compared our existing shots + swapped lenses to test and it was really bad.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

If your lens is poo poo like that send it in to oly, I've had them recalibrate a lens and poo poo free of charge because it wasn't working well.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ordered a Fuji X-E1 with the 18-55mm lens for $600 on KEH. Supposed to be excellent condition so its a steal. I was looking at the Fuji 35mm prime but I really can't afford it at the moment. Do you guys recommend a different prime lens with an adapter? I'm a beginner with interchangeable lens cameras (been using a Powershot S120 for a year) so speak to me like I am a baby. Sometimes I do low light aerial photography of cities, for which the Powershot S120 fell short.

-edit-
Guy on craigslist is selling this, is it an even better option than the Fuji 35mm prime? Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8 Lens (Fujifilm X-Mount) - $475

Animal fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 28, 2014

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Bit of a weird question: are there any med-long telephoto MFT lenses that are physically shorter than the Olympus 45mm f/1.8? I'd like to bring my camera to more NHL hockey games but it seems they're starting to crack down and I'm only getting my 45mm past security every other game or so.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO PZ 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./POWER O.I.S.
(yeah I copy pasted that)

It's a 12-42 zoom that collapses to about the thickness of the 20mm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shooting hockey would be a nightmare at f/3.5 and anything slower than that would basically be "don't bother" territory, even in rinks as well-lit as NHL arenas.

The 45mm is probably as long as you're going to get away with. The 75mm f/1.8 is a great lens but I can't see you getting that through security very reliably. Maybe in a pocket or something? But I wouldn't want to risk that getting confiscated.