Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I miss the Sony store. Playing around with their latest cameras was a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Animal posted:

Ordered a Fuji X-E1 with the 18-55mm lens for $600 on KEH. Supposed to be excellent condition so its a steal. I was looking at the Fuji 35mm prime but I really can't afford it at the moment. Do you guys recommend a different prime lens with an adapter? I'm a beginner with interchangeable lens cameras (been using a Powershot S120 for a year) so speak to me like I am a baby. Sometimes I do low light aerial photography of cities, for which the Powershot S120 fell short.

-edit-
Guy on craigslist is selling this, is it an even better option than the Fuji 35mm prime? Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8 Lens (Fujifilm X-Mount) - $475

You can buy the 35mm f/1.4 for 450$ or 500$ new. It's a great lens, if a little slow and loud, but it's incredibly satisfying to take pictures with.

Speaking of lenses and bodies, I'm looking to upgrade my body or buy a new lens. I can't justify the 50-140mm just yet, but I'm eyeing the 10-24mm and possibly waiting for a new "pro" body to show up (X-T2). Has there been any rumors about a new Fuji body that isn't the X100T?

E: I guess the X-T1 Graphite edition is what I'd be looking at for the latest Fuji body?

E2: Looks like the features of the Graphite are coming to the OG X-T1, too...

Phone fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 28, 2014

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
My EM5 just arrived and wow, it is a NICE piece of kit. Already feel at home with it, came with a remote shutter too that I didn't know about. All lenses that I wanted are ordered, and one random quirky one from a C mount to play around with.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

The 45mm is probably as long as you're going to get away with.
Dammit, I guess now's the time to start pestering my wife to let me order the 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO. (I know it's not any smaller, but I need a better sports lens anyways.)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

My EM5 just arrived and wow, it is a NICE piece of kit. Already feel at home with it, came with a remote shutter too that I didn't know about. All lenses that I wanted are ordered, and one random quirky one from a C mount to play around with.

You're gonna love it :toot:

nexxai posted:

Dammit, I guess now's the time to start pestering my wife to let me order the 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO. (I know it's not any smaller, but I need a better sports lens anyways.)

Yeah I'm saving up for one myself.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

DJExile posted:

You're gonna love it :toot:

I went downtown last night and shot with it ... already love it, this thing is very easy to use and produces some nice IQ. I am really surprised at how well I took to it. The seller also included the Olympus remote shutter release, which I did not expect.

Also, this plate (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2240/.f) came with it. What exactly is the purpose of it? They sell a grip that goes on it, is it simply a piece for that?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I went downtown last night and shot with it ... already love it, this thing is very easy to use and produces some nice IQ. I am really surprised at how well I took to it. The seller also included the Olympus remote shutter release, which I did not expect.

Also, this plate (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2240/.f) came with it. What exactly is the purpose of it? They sell a grip that goes on it, is it simply a piece for that?

That.... is a really good question. I've never seen that before. Yeah I'd assume it's to change how the grip feels but that's the first I've ever seen of something like that.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I think the plate is arca-swiss compatible.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Geektox posted:

I think the plate is arca-swiss compatible.
All of RRS' plates are. It mates to the complete body of the camera so it won't shift.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

phongn posted:

All of RRS' plates are. It mates to the complete body of the camera so it won't shift.

Hmm, anyone need one of these? I don't think I'll ever have a use for it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Hmm, anyone need one of these? I don't think I'll ever have a use for it.

What do you want for it?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Ropes4u posted:

What do you want for it?

$30 shipped to the US? Looks like it's $60 new. If that sounds good to you I'll make it official with a post in the for sale thread with photo.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

$30 shipped to the US? Looks like it's $60 new. If that sounds good to you I'll make it official with a post in the for sale thread with photo.

Shoot me a pm we will work it out

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 30, 2014

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Hey, who wants to take advantage of me being too busy (lazy?) to post my Fuji gear for sale before they did their big rebate? That's right, you bet you do! Head on over to my post in the Buy/Sell Thread and buy today!

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

And here I just bought the 55-200mm for $100 more from B&H. Fortunately, I haven't opened the package so I should be able to return it with little fuss. With the money I saved, I'll buy one of your flash units as well. I'll PM you in a few hours after getting everything in order.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bob Socko posted:

Hey, who wants to take advantage of me being too busy (lazy?) to post my Fuji gear for sale before they did their big rebate? That's right, you bet you do! Head on over to my post in the Buy/Sell Thread and buy today!

Sweet, I am interested in the Fuji 35mm f1/.4 lens

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So my 40-150 lens came in today, it is the M.Zuiko 40-150 ED F4-5.6, but it will not mount to my EM5. The mount on this lens is a bit larger than that of the EM5, however, both have the m43 logo.... any idea whats up with this?

Edit : Did I just buy a lens that only fits the PEN line of cameras? Uhhh.

Edit2 : UGHHH ... this is not a m43 .. its the standard 43 mount. I hate me.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 30, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So my 40-150 lens came in today, it is the M.Zuiko 40-150 ED F4-5.6, but it will not mount to my EM5. The mount on this lens is a bit larger than that of the EM5, however, both have the m43 logo.... any idea whats up with this?

Don't worry, Panasonic has you covered
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMW-MA1

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

https://www.keh.com/240567/olympus-e500-black-digital-camera-body-8-m-p there ya go

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

that was the first dslr i ever owned.

~nostalgia~

(god it was the biggest piece of poo poo ever to ostensibly be called a camera)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Linedance posted:

Don't worry, Panasonic has you covered
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMW-MA1

You could also buy the Olympus adapter, seeing as how he has an Olympus camera and Olympus lens.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cacator posted:

You could also buy the Olympus adapter, seeing as how he has an Olympus camera and Olympus lens.

Don't worry, Olympus has also got you covered, 3 ways too.
http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/mlenses/acc/#mmf-3

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone in here able to comment on the wide angle converter for the x100s? I'm looking to go a bit wider, and I've never heard much either way about it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Casu Marzu posted:

Anyone in here able to comment on the wide angle converter for the x100s? I'm looking to go a bit wider, and I've never heard much either way about it.
http://www.scoop.it/t/fuji-x-pro1?q=WCL-X100

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Linedance posted:

Don't worry, Olympus has also got you covered, 3 ways too.
http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/mlenses/acc/#mmf-3

All for about what I paid for the lens or more. This guy accepts returns .. I think that is the best option as I really don't want to add yet another adapter to the mix.

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!
Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up my first mirrorless camera. I've been following this thread for awhile now, but I'm still unsure what the best setup is for me. I'll mostly be doing street photography and the ocassional landscapes. I'm fine spending up to $2k (although I'm sure I'd be fine with a cheaper setup). Should I get one of the X100 cameras or a Fuji body + the 23mm? Or the Sony A7 line + 35mm? It seems the Olympus OM-D EM-1 is a good choice if I want to do micro 4/3s. I'm also slightly concerned about only having a single prime lens for an upcoming Asia trip. What would you guys do?

ilovemyducks fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 1, 2014

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The Sony Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 is a sexy beast and great for travel because of its compact size, light weight and super compact lens hood, but that plus an A7 body is going to put you way over $2000.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Buy everything that Bob Socko is selling in the Buy/Sell thread, basically.

An OM-D, body cap, and 25mm would be a good purchase too.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

ilovemyducks posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up my first mirrorless camera. I've been following this thread for awhile now, but I'm still unsure what the best setup is for me. I'll mostly be doing street photography and the ocassional landscapes. I'm fine spending up to $2k (although I'm sure I'd be fine with a cheaper setup). Should I get one of the X100 cameras or a Fuji body + the 23mm? Or the Sony A7 line + 35mm? It seems the Olympus OM-D EM-1 is a good choice if I want to do micro 4/3s. I'm also slightly concerned about only having a single prime lens for an upcoming Asia trip. What would you guys do?

I'm considering selling some M mount primes (voigt 12mm, zeiss 35mm f2.8, voigt 50 1.4, contax 90mm). I spent a year in India/SEA with those lenses and my nex kit zoom and a raynox close up lens (selling as well). If you don't mind manual lenses, you can put together an extremely light travel kit.

I would recommend having some sort of of ultra-wide lens and at least a close-up attachment if not a real macro lens. The current fuji kit lens is awesome for what it is. Right now I am very happy with my XT-1 and kit/28/35 but will probably pick up either the zeiss 1:1 macro or the 50-140, though I am tempted by the current 10-24 sale (and will probably buy once I sell my primes/bessa). I think the 21mm is a fantastic lens and would love to own it as well.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

ilovemyducks posted:

Buy one of my X-E2s, my 23mm f/1.4, and my 18-55mm f/2.8-4. I've used that setup for plenty of walkaround use with no problem, and Fuji's great in-camera JPEG engine will minimize the need to post-process the photos when you get home.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I've come to love my M5 more and more except one thing .. the stupid eye cup that continually falls off. I finally lost it now.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I've come to love my M5 more and more except one thing .. the stupid eye cup that continually falls off. I finally lost it now.

As a wearer of glasses, the first thing I do with every new camera is take off the eye cup and throw it back in the box.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

mAlfunkti0n posted:

that stupid little piece of crap is like 15 bucks to replace, too

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Let me add two more things to the list I hate about Olympus.

Stupid proprietary USB cable.
Stupid firmware update process.

What the heck is wrong with just copying the ROM to the memory card and updating from there? Good lord, this is a convoluted process. Especially since the software told me I would see a couple of things on the camera that never showed, and that's because it actually never did the update. Olympus, your update system is dumb.

Besides this it is a great camera. Thankfully I don't have to do this often.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What the heck is wrong with just copying the ROM to the memory card and updating from there? Good lord, this is a convoluted process. Especially since the software told me I would see a couple of things on the camera that never showed, and that's because it actually never did the update. Olympus, your update system is dumb.

:rimshot:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I updated it once and gave up after that because it was so troublesome. Doesn't affect my shooting with it anyway. Actually I don't even know where my cable for it is.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

These wouldn't be so bad if they weren't both completely unnecessary issues, and issues that most if not all other brands do the correct way.

I'd just assumed Olympus had pulled their heads out of their asses with proprietary cables since I was shooting an E-510 but hey I guess not.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I am greatly enjoying my Fuji X-E1 and the 18-55mm f2.8 OIS. I wan't to complement it with a good prime. What do you guys think would be a best all around lens for street stuff, landscapes, low light stuff, and the occasional portrait, and some aerial photography? the 35mm f1.4, or the 23mm f1.4? I also have the option to buy a Zeiss 32mm f1.8 from a local guy on Craigslist.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

SoundMonkey posted:

These wouldn't be so bad if they weren't both completely unnecessary issues, and issues that most if not all other brands do the correct way.

I'd just assumed Olympus had pulled their heads out of their asses with proprietary cables since I was shooting an E-510 but hey I guess not.

The crazy thing to me is that the USB cable connector at the camera is larger than even mini USB, so it isn't like they are saving space by not using mini or micro.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Animal posted:

I am greatly enjoying my Fuji X-E1 and the 18-55mm f2.8 OIS. I wan't to complement it with a good prime. What do you guys think would be a best all around lens for street stuff, landscapes, low light stuff, and the occasional portrait, and some aerial photography? the 35mm f1.4, or the 23mm f1.4? I also have the option to buy a Zeiss 32mm f1.8 from a local guy on Craigslist.

The 23 really isn't a great focal length for portraits, and I personally like the 35 a lot more as an "all-around". The Zeiss 32 isn't bad, either, but the Fuji 35 is better and in most cases cheaper used.