Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MMD3 posted:

welp... okay then. dunno, I never bothered buying them for my SLR because I figured I didn't need to own different filters for different lenses but figured w/ a single lens it would be good to have one. order canceled, I'll live with just the hood.

Lens glass, even on crappy entry-level tiny mirrorless lenses, is a lot tougher than people give it credit for. A good lens hood will give you tons of protection from drat near everything you could picture going wrong. I've been in lovely muddy/rocky conditions with my OMD glass and have wiped dirt and poo poo off with my shirt without an issue. Yeah, you don't want to be out in a downpour without a sealed body/lens or something but for 95% of shooting, you're gonna be just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I've kept a filter on my om-d before (because I was leaving it out to take a timelapse in a hailstorm and it was still pointless and a waste and probably riskier than not having anything )

My canon also never leaves home without a filter on (because it's had it's ir filter removed and it needs a 720nm cutoff on it to fulfill it's purpose in life).

Ropes4u posted:

Thank you for the link!

Hope you have a deep wallet! Also consider ordering an ioptron skytracker to start out with instead of going right to a telescope. BTW the best astrophotography thread isn't even in dorkroom, it's in DIY for some reason http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3155317

I sold my skytracker because I just never used it enough (and I have access to a nexstar 4se that I can make do with in a pinch), but it was really good for the money.

e. quick and dirty 60 second exposure of the orion nebula with it though

P4040011.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 15, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

Here is a comprehensive list of times to put a uv filter onto a camera:
-

There are situations when it's definitely worth having the uv filter on, there just isn't really anyone on these forums who find themselves in those situations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Also I shot the March for Justice in America with the XT1 on Saturday, I'll put some pics up tonight. I loving love this camera. In good light it hangs with the absolute best. I hope fuji's next round of sensors keep up with the ISO war so that I can just ditch my DSLR and lenses entirely.

E: doublepost

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

Also I shot the March for Justice in America with the XT1 on Saturday, I'll put some pics up tonight. I loving love this camera. In good light it hangs with the absolute best. I hope fuji's next round of sensors keep up with the ISO war so that I can just ditch my DSLR and lenses entirely.

E: doublepost

What lens did you use? Looking forward to the pics.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

I've kept a filter on my om-d before (because I was leaving it out to take a timelapse in a hailstorm and it was still pointless and a waste and probably riskier than not having anything )

My canon also never leaves home without a filter on (because it's had it's ir filter removed and it needs a 720nm cutoff on it to fulfill it's purpose in life).

Hope you have a deep wallet! Also consider ordering an ioptron skytracker to start out with instead of going right to a telescope. BTW the best astrophotography thread isn't even in dorkroom, it's in DIY for some reason http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3155317

I sold my skytracker because I just never used it enough (and I have access to a nexstar 4se that I can make do with in a pinch), but it was really good for the money.

e. quick and dirty 60 second exposure of the orion nebula with it though

P4040011.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

I have medium pockets and a cheap wife I might have to test the ghetto methods or look for a rental. Baller photo and exactly the sort of thing I would like to shoot.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

404notfound posted:

Anybody have suggestions for Fuji X-series custom profiles? I'm thinking one for default, one for black and white, and one with punchy Velvia colors (hopefully to be replaced with a Classic Chrome profile if/when that comes in a firmware update for my X100s). Specific settings for the profiles would be appreciated.

I use a bunch of profiles on mine. I have an astia profile set up with auto ISO to 320 and one to 1600 in case I want to force the camera to use a lower ISO, same for a BW-yellow. I then have a BW auto IS0 with +1 to shadows and highlights for random low light bar shots. I like to have a low ISO pro neg std for super contrasty days and a velvia one incase I want sliders to the right color. The Q menu is really drat good.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I wish the Fuji 27mm would go on sale again. I've got far too many lenses in the 23-35mm range to justify buying another for $450.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Helicity posted:

I wish the Fuji 27mm would go on sale again. I've got far too many lenses in the 23-35mm range to justify buying another for $450.

Well then you're totally in luck because it is on sale in Canada for $350, plus you guys have the exchange rate working in your favour.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Animal posted:

What lens did you use? Looking forward to the pics.

Aside for a few brief minutes I shot mostly with the 35mm 1.4

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsywiyX1iKE

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nikon's high ISO body is D4 not D810.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

whatever7 posted:

Nikon's high ISO body is D4 not D810.

You tell that to Tony. He has a hard on for dxomark and will probably site the overall scores and explain thats what the camera he uses for blah blah blah

They aren't that far apart:
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D4-versus-Nikon-D810___767_963

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

More stuff shot on the X-T1 lately. All on the 35mm 1.4. This was a 'mowvember' photo shoot. I really need to pick up a good ND filter so I can start opening my aperture while using lights.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Fuji users - your awesome new firmware is out:

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/fw_table.html

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Really happy about the update on the X-E2. Wireless control works very well, thats a huge christmas present in functionality. It even does touch focus!
Classic chrome filter seems nice, going to Puerto Rico today and will start playing with all the features.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Man fuji is the best for this stuff.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So whats the AF+MF function, somebody test it out for me please.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

whatever7 posted:

So whats the AF+MF function, somebody test it out for me please.

It lets you autofocus and then make manual adjustments.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
AF+MF lets you half press the shutter to autofocus. If it grabs the wrong focus, you can then twist the focus ring to adjust focus further. This is standard on DSLRs that have a lens mounted that has full-time manual focus operation, but on Fuji cameras that support the feature now all lenses are FTM.

Beautiful thing about Fuji's implementation is because of the EVF, when you adjust focus it immediately enables whatever focus aid you have selected, like focus peaking. It's really slick!

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Woah, I just tried that out and that is pretty rad. My personal favorite thing the Fn button setting for Preview Manual Exposure, since I was getting pretty sick of digging through the menus every time I switched my flash on.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
DMF/AF+MF has been a pretty useful feature on my NEX 3,it's great with focus peaking and those lenses that always seem to be just a bit off, or for slight recomposing.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I just realized that I've managed to start pulling out the tripod socket on my om-d's battery grip. Not sure if that's because the grip is lovely (argh) or because I've just been way too hard on it, hauling it around on a cameraclippro with heavy lenses mounted and whatnot.

Makes attaching the battery pack annoying, if nothing else.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

X100S? :(

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
AF+MF is good and cool. Wish classic chrome had gotten to the Xpro because I like keeping both cameras set to the same simulation but oh well.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

I just realized that I've managed to start pulling out the tripod socket on my om-d's battery grip. Not sure if that's because the grip is lovely (argh) or because I've just been way too hard on it, hauling it around on a cameraclippro with heavy lenses mounted and whatnot.

Makes attaching the battery pack annoying, if nothing else.

http://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8265S-Original-Reinforced/dp/B0006O1ICE

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I would bitch about not having Chrome on the X100 but we have already had it really good, so I guess I can't complain.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Given the current firmware situations, how much better is the X100s vs the X100?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Huxley posted:

Given the current firmware situations, how much better is the X100s vs the X100?

The X100s handles a bit faster, focuses faster, and has a few other things, but if you're happy with the x100 there's not a real big reason to switch. The X100 used to be pretty bad comparatively but the firmware updates closed the gap quite a bit.

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!
I am thinking about buying an a5000 for the wife, since there is a good sale on it right now. Her primary goal is to take interior design photo's for her portfolio, and most of these places have low lighting. Is there a good lens to pair with the a5000 to get pictures of book cases or rooms that are poorly lit? It seems like the 35/1.8 would have the best aperture control for low light, but it might not be a wide enough angle.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

35mm is definitely not wide enough for interior shots. You should be looking into the 14-24 range.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Sigma 19/2.8 and a cheap flash?

eh NM - no hotshoe

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Bud posted:

Sigma 19/2.8 and a cheap flash?

This is a good answer. You're better off with a wider lens and learning to use a flash to fill in the scene with multiple or long exposures.

Edit: See:
https://fstoppers.com/strobe-light/hdr-vs-flash-interiors-and-real-estate-photography-3135

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A 30mm equiv is still kinda long for interiors, unless you're only shooting McMansions

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Even 24mm on FF is not wide enough for interior rooms really. 21mm equiv and wider is where you want to be for that.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sony has only 1 wide angle lens for half frame and 1 for full frame.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Mightaswell posted:

Even 24mm on FF is not wide enough for interior rooms really. 21mm equiv and wider is where you want to be for that.

I had my 12mm m43 lens on my camera at thanksgiving and it captured pretty much most of the living room I was on. It might not be the best, but its passible.

I ordered my dad the a5000 because it was just at the edge of my budget. He wanted something with wi-fi, a flip up screen so he can make videos playing guitar and see himself. I figured a lens system especially with the bigger sensor is going to give him better pictures, even if he will treat it more like a point and shoot.

He is going to Panama for some teacher's exchange thing and going to be doing presentations back to kids science classes so hopefully it fairs him well. Maybe he will want a lens with more zoom, but he can spend his own money on that.

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

Fart Car '97 posted:

35mm is definitely not wide enough for interior shots. You should be looking into the 14-24 range.

If Sony can't get to an equivalent of ~20mm, should we be looking at a different body?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Spook posted:

If Sony can't get to an equivalent of ~20mm, should we be looking at a different body?

Probably. Why are you looking at Sony in the first place? It's just interiors, why not pick up an older used FF body from cannon or nikon? Much wider lens selection, less hassle, low stress-use of the equipment so used shouldn't really be a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

When you're shooting interiors things like wifi and flippy-flappy screens are nice