Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The Sony NEX-7 used to have extremely bad corner performance on certain lenses (non-telecentric ones IIRC). This meant that a lot of rangefinder lenses were touch-and-go as to quality. Has this problem been resolved at all on the A7 or the A7ii?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I've seen some great stuff out of the Sony 10-18 on Flickr. It's pretty much the only option for a wide angle zoom for the a6000, I think.

My local camera store has the zeiss touit 12mm (which looks sexy af) for like 680 after instant rebate. Don't know if that's something widely available but might be since it's a manufacturer rebate. I haven't looked into that lens' performance in-depth but I'd imagine that it's about as good as you can do for UWA on aps e-mount.

All that said, next on the list of things to buy for me is the sigma 19mm. Can't beat the performance at that price.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I had the X-Mount version of the Zeiss 12mm and the E-Mount version of the Sigma 19mm and I'm a much bigger fan of the 19mm. The 12mm is fine but I like the 10-24 Fuji zoom much more so I sold it. The 19mm Sigma is basically free by photography standards, there's no reason to not get one.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I'm stuck with a $1000 dilemma: when I have enough money by the end of August, do I get the Fuji 10-24 f/4 or the 16mm f/1.4 WR? :confused: One goes to 10 and has OSS, the other has WR and a 2 stop advantage. I'm leaning towards the 16mm right now, but both just seem so good.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

LiquidRain posted:

I'm stuck with a $1000 dilemma: when I have enough money by the end of August, do I get the Fuji 10-24 f/4 or the 16mm f/1.4 WR? :confused: One goes to 10 and has OSS, the other has WR and a 2 stop advantage. I'm leaning towards the 16mm right now, but both just seem so good.

The 16mm is sharper across the frame and can focus pretty drat close too. So it really depends on your needs. I'd personally go with the 16mm between the 2 lenses but if I was going to use it casually on trips, then I'd get the 10-24.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Can you rent the 10-24 for a day and see if you'd want to go that wide? I know you liked the 11-16 Tokina on Canon crops. Where were you usually at in the focal range with that?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The 10-24mm is amazing. This is coming from a straight up zoom hater. I would absolutely get the 10-24 first unless you need something faster than f/4.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm about to pull the trigger on an X-T10 with a 35mm/F1.4 lens. Should I just get the X-T10 body or spend $300 more and get it with the 18-55/2.8-4.0 lens?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I think the general consensus is that the kit lens is amazing.

I'm eager to see how the XT10 works out. I'm very very very close to dumping my Canon stuff and going to Fuji. :ohdear:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

iSheep posted:

I'm very very very close to dumping my Canon stuff and going to Fuji. :ohdear:
I just did the former and am most likely doing the latter before my next vacation in a month or so. I was just playing with the X-T1 again at Best Buy today. I'm glad they have the kit zoom on there since it makes it easy to compare the 23mm and 35mm focal lengths to see which prime I want first.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Wow, what Best Buy do you go to that stocks X-T1s? I tried to view an A7 there a long time ago and they laughed at me, saying anything that nice would be destroyed immediately if it were left out.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Radbot posted:

Wow, what Best Buy do you go to that stocks X-T1s?
There are about 7 near me, and 2 have very elaborate camera departments. The one in Costa Mesa has a large lineup of Canon L-glass, their Nikon counterparts, a full table dedicated to Sony camera and glass, a section for other mirrorless, etc. I'd say they probably have about 100 cameras on display and a surprisingly good selection of glass.

They even have the X100T and X30 on display, which made me realize that the X30 is way bigger than I expected it to be.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 27, 2015

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I had to go to Pictureline's brick and mortar today to play with the XT1 and XT10.

I really love the XT10, the EVF felt even more responsive than the XT1's did. There is another shop in town that rents the XT1 so I want to at least shoot with that over a weekend and then play with some of the images in post to really cement if I want to go this direction.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on an X-T10 with a 35mm/F1.4 lens. Should I just get the X-T10 body or spend $300 more and get it with the 18-55/2.8-4.0 lens?

BTW I played with the 18-55 and it seemed to be a good lens. I wasn't on board with the electronically controlled aperture ring. And I felt that I could bump it or just mindlessly play with it fairly easily.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 27, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

iSheep posted:

I really love the XT10, the EVF felt even more responsive than the XT1's did.
I was trying to figure out the firmware version on the demo X-T1, but couldn't. I was curious if I was seeing the 4.0 AF or not.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I was trying to figure out the firmware version on the demo X-T1, but couldn't. I was curious if I was seeing the 4.0 AF or not.

Just see if you can change the AF to the new zone AF.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you hold the DISP/BACK button while you turn the camera on it will tell you the body/lens firmware version.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Splinter posted:

If you hold the DISP/BACK button while you turn the camera on it will tell you the body/lens firmware version.
Yeah if I go back I'll give this a shot. I was pretty well sold on that EVF already and the AF seemed fine to me. If it was actually pre-4.0 and there are more improvements coming to me, then even better.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

The one in Costa Mesa has a large lineup of Canon L-glass, their Nikon counterparts, a full table dedicated to Sony camera and glass, a section for other mirrorless, etc. I'd say they probably have about 100 cameras on display and a surprisingly good selection of glass.

They even have the X100T and X30 on display, which made me realize that the X30 is way bigger than I expected it to be.
This is good to know so that I don't have to go to Samy's down the street from there anymore.

I went into Samy's a couple weeks ago to try the X100T. The guy handed it to me, but it was out of battery. I told him and he says "OK, I'll let them know", takes it from me, and puts it back in the display shelf. :effort:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Don't worry at Best Buy you'll just be treated like a loving thief.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Depends on if you want primes or a zoom. I dropped all my Canon gear, went Fuji (X-T1) and went all primes. The 35mm is fantastic as is the 23 and 56, I also own the Rokinon 12mm f/2 and love it.

Let's just say the Fuji is my favorite camera out of any I've ever owned. It is fun to shoot with and I love the instant feedback in the amazing EVF.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Radbot posted:

Wow, what Best Buy do you go to that stocks X-T1s? I tried to view an A7 there a long time ago and they laughed at me, saying anything that nice would be destroyed immediately if it were left out.

The Best Buy in north Seattle has a full display of mirrorless cameras including the XT-1 and a bunch of Olys. I messed around with them a few weeks ago when I stopped in to buy a PS4 controller .

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
God, I finally know why my A7II actuates the shutter sporadically every few shut offs, and I found out by accident. It takes a dark frame to map hotpixels. My Google-Fu failed me!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

There are about 7 near me, and 2 have very elaborate camera departments. The one in Costa Mesa has a large lineup of Canon L-glass, their Nikon counterparts, a full table dedicated to Sony camera and glass, a section for other mirrorless, etc. I'd say they probably have about 100 cameras on display and a surprisingly good selection of glass.

8th-snype posted:

The Best Buy in north Seattle has a full display of mirrorless cameras including the XT-1 and a bunch of Olys. I messed around with them a few weeks ago when I stopped in to buy a PS4 controller .

Ah, so bougie areas get the nice Best Buys - I wasn't aware any of them stocked pro camera equipment. I'll have to remember that when I'm looking at a camera next time. My local Best Buy has about 20 cameras on display, and most of them are broken.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Linedance posted:

I used to use a small canvas and leather manpurse type bag for my gf1+20mm. I can't remember the brand, some Japanese thing. I'll see if I can dig it out when I get home. It's just too small for my gx7 unfortunately, so I need to shop for a replacement.

I would like to know more about your leather man-purse

(wait, is that a come-on?)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Best Buy has x100 on display? is this Bizarro Best Buy in Europe?

The Best Buy I went to (in Union Square Manhattan) had Nikon 1; Samsung poo poo I don't care to remember the model name; 100x zoom Canon sx50 with world's smallest EVF, and a sad lower end Nikon SLR with missing kit lens.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

whatever7 posted:

Best Buy has x100 on display? is this Bizarro Best Buy in Europe?

The Best Buy I went to (in Union Square Manhattan) had Nikon 1; Samsung poo poo I don't care to remember the model name; 100x zoom Canon sx50 with world's smallest EVF, and a sad lower end Nikon SLR with missing kit lens.

I tried out the X100T at the best buy in Framingham, MA before buying it online (To be fair, I actually told the guy I would buy it there if they could promise me that they would not hassle me one single time about extended warranties, and they were unable to live up to that lofty requirement)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

timrenzi574 posted:

I tried out the X100T at the best buy in Framingham, MA before buying it online (To be fair, I actually told the guy I would buy it there if they could promise me that they would not hassle me one single time about extended warranties, and they were unable to live up to that lofty requirement)

Probably because they'd lose their job if they didn't.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Even in Japan it's not super-common for the Fuji mirrorless stuff to be out. The big Yodobashi near me had them, that was about it.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

There's a big BB in San Antonio that has loads of pro camera stuff, including the x100T, lx100, a7s, and a bunch of L-series lenses. It's pretty nice. Every other store in the area had Samsung Galaxy cameras and broken entry-level DSLRs. It's a pretty amazing contrast.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The one here carries the Sony mirrorless offerings + the standard nikon/canon fare.

I've rented the XT-1 and 35 1.4 on Thursday for a portrait shoot. As long as nobody has rented it tomorrow I'll be able to pick it up in the evening. :getin:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Newegg has the X-T1 body-only at $1150 right now.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
For the A7S owners out there, I have made a big discovery. Once you go below a certain exposure value, usually around 1/60 at f/2.8 and ISO 51200 or equivalent, a red fringe appears around the edge of the frame. Turning silent shooting mode on gets rid of the fringe. Makes no sense, but it works.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

HPL posted:

For the A7S owners out there, I have made a big discovery. Once you go below a certain exposure value, usually around 1/60 at f/2.8 and ISO 51200 or equivalent, a red fringe appears around the edge of the frame. Turning silent shooting mode on gets rid of the fringe. Makes no sense, but it works.

Independent of lens?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Even in Japan it's not super-common for the Fuji mirrorless stuff to be out. The big Yodobashi near me had them, that was about it.

Bic at Nagoya station had a Fuji display. The X-T1 worked (yay huge rear end viewfinder), but the X100T wouldn't turn on. :(

I think I'm going to pick up an X100T over Christmas and use it as my travel camera since my X-E1 is pretty slow and bulky. I'll wait for the X-T2 to be released.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Oly 40-150mm f/2.8 went with me to Scotland and I can't say enough good things about the sealing. Ended up taking a boat excursion around Inverness in some choppy waters and getting hit with a lot of salt water spray and waves, and it took it all just fine. Rinsed it off with some fresh water and a hand towel later and all was good.

These are all out of the camera, I haven't had the time yet to clean them up in post and such. They aren't spectacular but i'm pretty happy with them for as much as the boat was jumping around.

Also I genuinely had no idea that you'd find dolphins as far north as the Highlands. Very cool.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

spog posted:

I would like to know more about your leather man-purse

(wait, is that a come-on?)

Bad phone pics:

Huh, I guess it does fit the gx7+20mm. I think I may have got confused because I initially tried it with the 14-42 kit lens. It's just canvas too, so basically scratch protection and that's all. No bash protection. I'm looking to get something slightly puffier and large enough to accommodate the camera and an extra medium sized lens like the 60mm macro I've got an eye on.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Fuji - I love you. Let me count all the ways.

I was at Udvar-Hazy recently with my Fuji kit. This photo was taken with the XT-1 and KIT 18-55 lens, at 18mm, f/4, ISO 4000, straight out of camera:

And here's a 150% crop from the same photo:

Amazing, just amazing performance from the XT-1 and the 18-55 kit, especially. My kit lens cost me $200. Get yourself one today!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

HPL posted:

This isn't a lens cast issue, is it?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Linedance posted:

Bad phone pics:

Huh, I guess it does fit the gx7+20mm. I think I may have got confused because I initially tried it with the 14-42 kit lens. It's just canvas too, so basically scratch protection and that's all. No bash protection. I'm looking to get something slightly puffier and large enough to accommodate the camera and an extra medium sized lens like the 60mm macro I've got an eye on.

Thanks.

Related: is anyone rocking an ever-ready case with a mirrorless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Phone posted:

Bic at Nagoya station had a Fuji display. The X-T1 worked (yay huge rear end viewfinder), but the X100T wouldn't turn on. :(

The Bic near Ginza station in Tokyo had a big Fuji display when I was there in February too. I played with a live XT1 and was almost convinced to upgrade by that viewfinder.