Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I've got a 56 1.2 for sale over in the buy/sell thread that's very clear inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

GEMorris posted:

Well the good news is that the G85 is an equal or better camera in every way other than size/weight, price, and evf location. If we didn't already own a G85 I probably would have insisted on getting it as my personal camera rather than the gx85.
Well gently caress me. Went back to the Best Buy to fondle some more cameras and I just couldn't stop looking at the Fuji's they had. They are just so loving beautiful. I gather that its the camera equivalent of buying one of those retro waxed canvas Herschel backpacks when your nylon Jansport will do just fine, but they just call to me. Might just get a black X-T20 and join the Fuji Fan club here.

Incidentally, I also took a closer look at the Canon SL2 and Nikon D3400 on the recommendation of a friend and was stunned how cheap they feel. Some combination of the optical view finder and hard plastic shell made it feel like a kids toy.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

cheese posted:

Well gently caress me. Went back to the Best Buy to fondle some more cameras and I just couldn't stop looking at the Fuji's they had. They are just so loving beautiful. I gather that its the camera equivalent of buying one of those retro waxed canvas Herschel backpacks when your nylon Jansport will do just fine, but they just call to me. Might just get a black X-T20 and join the Fuji Fan club here.

Incidentally, I also took a closer look at the Canon SL2 and Nikon D3400 on the recommendation of a friend and was stunned how cheap they feel. Some combination of the optical view finder and hard plastic shell made it feel like a kids toy.

The D3xxx series Nikons have poo poo handling. While I fully support you joining the Fuji club you should know that T series Canon and D5xxxx Nikons are pretty decent. I was using a Canon T2i until last week at work when I acquired a Nikon D5500, the midsize consumer DSLR market has come a long way. I'd still rather have a Fuji but I don't get much of a choice at my day job.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
I'm starting to think about selling my XT-2 for this X-H1. I was expecting not to like it, but I definitely need to try one out.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

SimpleCoax posted:

I'm starting to think about selling my XT-2 for this X-H1. I was expecting not to like it, but I definitely need to try one out.
They must have figured out IBIS. I remember when doing my research that they said it was impossible with the way their lens mount is or something.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I'd take a lot of what comes out of Fuji's PR department and executive statements with a grain of salt. I guess that goes for all PR departments and company execs everywhere, but Fuji's tall tales are exemplary; X-Trans having a more 'random' pattern than other CFAs is a good Exhibit A for camera marketing hogwash.

And, yeah, while Canon & Nikon's tiny DSLRs are better values for image quality:price than most current MILCs, their squinty, tunnel-like viewfinders sap a lot of the fun out of shooting. Most basic mirrorless EVFs give you a larger, more detailed view. (The GX85's wasn't far from cheapo DSLRs though.)

Higher-end APSCDSLRs like the 80D have VFs which are a good deal better, though. Still no match for the X-T2 in terms of how close and large everything looks, but also not directly comparable.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I'm interested in the X-H1 when and if they announce it. But not super interested because IBIS is cool but not cool enough for me to use an SLR style body. Also most of the low light work I do is of moving subjects IS doesn't freeze motion so it's nearly worthless to me professionally. Video people should be happy tho.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

I'm interested in the X-H1 when and if they announce it.
What “if”? We have the images and press release now. It’ll be official in a few days.

http://digicame-info.com/2018/02/x-h1-9.html

And yeah, they’re clearly marketing it at video showing it with the cine lenses.

Edit: updated with non-FR link since last time they came up you ranted about them

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 10, 2018

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Does anyone shoot mirrorless video? I'm on the fence between the fuji ST1 and Rode Micro mics for an x100f. The reviews aren't particularly useful.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What “if”? We have the images and press release now. It’ll be official in a few days.

http://digicame-info.com/2018/02/x-h1-9.html

And yeah, they’re clearly marketing it at video showing it with the cine lenses.

Edit: updated with non-FR link since last time they came up you ranted about them

I didn't realise there was a press release, your link doesn't work btw. I wouldn't say that pointing out fuji rumors has been wildly wrong before is a rant. It's not like I don't read them or something, I just don't trust them as fact.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
This late it’s basically silly to deny that the specs of the X-H1 are true.

What I’m seeing though is that the X-H1 is an X-T2 but with excessive weight gain. Someone in one of the FujiRumors threads noted that it’s like 30 grams shy of the A7RIII which has a larger sensor and a larger mount.

I also think the expected price at $1900 is bonkers, but I’m also of the opinion that the X-T2 needs to be about 20% cheaper.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I'm not denying the specs, I just don't believe rumor site timetables. Until there's a leaked official release at least, which apparently there was.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

your link doesn't work btw.
I'm not sure what to tell you. I just checked it again on my phone and laptop and it works fine.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Four years ago...

someone posted:

I digicame when I saw the leaked specs of the new mirrorless camera!! Haha!

I'm mostly curious to see if the Eterna film sim is going to be worth using, for still or video, and hoping for the long-shot firmware update that will allow internal F-log recording with the X-T2. Looks like the X-T20 and GFX may get fw updates sometime around the X-H1 release, but nothing for the X-T2 so far.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
As an a6300 user who's equally into stills and video, the X-H1 sounds like it could be my ticket out of Sony town. I've been interested in Fuji cameras for years, but the video output just wasn't up to scratch.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

I'm not sure what to tell you. I just checked it again on my phone and laptop and it works fine.

I'm not trying to be a dick it really tells me "forbidden" and that I don't have access. I'm on my phone, I'll try it out on my laptop later.

EDIT: Nope still denied access on my laptop. It's not a huge deal, the info is all over the place (which it wasn't when I wrote my original post).

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 10, 2018

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Wikipedia Brown posted:

As an a6300 user who's equally into stills and video, the X-H1 sounds like it could be my ticket out of Sony town. I've been interested in Fuji cameras for years, but the video output just wasn't up to scratch.

Fuji needs to become the company that does not care about protecting their camcorders at all and shoves every last bit of video capability into their ILCs, they have no insentive not to.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wikipedia Brown posted:

As a mostly video shooter- oh gently caress yes. Fuji colour science + their lens selection + their AF. I'd jump ship to Fuji immediately if they came out with a decent video options.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Well I bought an X-E2s off one of those used camera equipment sites for 350. Supposed to be in "Excellent" condition but we will see. A friend advised me to get a solid but older tech Fuji, build up some lenses and then hop onto a used X-T2 or the forthcoming X-T3 (thought about the X-Pro 1 as well) later in the year. Thinking about jumping straight into primes with either the 18 or 23mm F2.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
If I were to get a prime lens for Fuji focusing on portrait work, what would be the most cost-effective solution? The options I see are the 50mm f/2 or the 90mm f/2. I just got the 23mm f/2 which I will use for gig photography, so I'd like to balance that out with something longer (I might get the 35mm f/2 down the line if I have enough GAS).

I'm leaning towards the 50mm because it's cheaper and I've no experience with shooting in 90mm with a crop sensor, would there be a significant difference?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Schneider Heim posted:

If I were to get a prime lens for Fuji focusing on portrait work, what would be the most cost-effective solution? The options I see are the 50mm f/2 or the 90mm f/2. I just got the 23mm f/2 which I will use for gig photography, so I'd like to balance that out with something longer (I might get the 35mm f/2 down the line if I have enough GAS).

I'm leaning towards the 50mm because it's cheaper and I've no experience with shooting in 90mm with a crop sensor, would there be a significant difference?

The 90mm is absurdly good, it's the sharpest lens fuji makes. Frankly though you should consider the 56mm f/1.2 as it's extremely versatile and I think a dude is selling one in the buy/sell thread. The 90 and 56 are my go to lenses for portrait sessions. However the 23/35/90 would also be super good at covering nearly ever situation.

cheese posted:

Well I bought an X-E2s off one of those used camera equipment sites for 350. Supposed to be in "Excellent" condition but we will see. A friend advised me to get a solid but older tech Fuji, build up some lenses and then hop onto a used X-T2 or the forthcoming X-T3 (thought about the X-Pro 1 as well) later in the year. Thinking about jumping straight into primes with either the 18 or 23mm F2.

Good choice the X-E2s is 80% as good as the X-T1 for really cheap. Get the 23mm unless you really love the 28mm FOV. The 18mm is the worse performing prime Fuji makes, I've owned two copies and the corners were terrible. For roughly the same amount you can get an 18-55 which is a way better 18mm lens than the prime.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 12, 2018

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

8th-snype posted:

The 90mm is absurdly good, it's the sharpest lens fuji makes. Frankly though you should consider the 56mm f/1.2 as it's extremely versatile and I think a dude is selling one in the buy/sell thread. The 90 and 56 are my go to lenses for portrait sessions. However the 23/35/90 would also be super good at covering nearly ever situation.

Thanks! I just checked and the 56 and the 90 aren't too far off in terms of price difference. I also prefer weather-sealing even if I'll probably never shoot in harsh conditions for the build quality.

I'm not getting one anytime soon as I'm still recovering from my latest lens purchase, though.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Schneider Heim posted:

Start with 35/1.4 or the kit zoom and go straight to 56mm.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So as a relatively recent convert to the church of fuji, is there any likelihood of the X-T2 getting a price drop after the X-H1 releases, and if so by how much?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It’s a different product line, with a key differentiating feature, an unconfirmed price point, and presumably a different primary use case than the X-T2, so who knows? We don’t have a lot of previous examples to draw from. This if Fuji’s first real shot at mirrorless video. Wait a couple days and find out with the rest of us. :)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

So as a relatively recent convert to the church of fuji, is there any likelihood of the X-T2 getting a price drop after the X-H1 releases, and if so by how much?

The X-T2 got a massive price drop called the X-T20.

I went from an X-T1 to an X-T20 and the only thing I miss about the larger body was the mega viewfinder on the T1 and T2. Basically every other feature you'd want is there.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This body is just coming out 1.5 year after XT2 and presumably half year before XT3?

I see no reason not to call it XT3, unless Fuji wants to move the XT line down market to replace the XT-20 line.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

whatever7 posted:

I see no reason not to call it XT3
Because they’re probably gonna market it as a video body.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Gx9 rumors have it being barely any larger than the gx85, but with an articulating evf.

Will wait on specs, unlikely that I'll instantly upgrade though.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

My bet is there will be an eBay/used market dump by GAS dorks in anticipation of picking up the Latest And Greatest, if DSLR sales are anything to go by. Assuming you're ok with buying used bodies. An official price drop probably won't happen until the X-T3 comes out.

But for all intents the X-T20 is like 80% of the performance of the X-T2 without weather sealing.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

Because they’re probably gonna market it as a video body.

Seems likely! And while there have been some grumbles about size, to be fair, as someone who's done mostly video production professionally, and photography as a creative outlet... having a little heft (not weight, just size) will help dramatically for stabilizing and gripping for video. Especially if we're using all these great lenses. Oh man, the 56 1.2 with stable video... might be a bit heavier but with the bulky body it'll be easier to balance that lens for some beautiful video if IBIS is in full effect.

Now I'm rethinking my choices and might consider an upgrade, but really want to wait for the XT3 leaks to start, and not get thrown into the X-T2 -> X-T20 shortly after situation.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I doubt Fuji intends to replace the XT line with the XH line, they have a history of differentiating product line s by physical features and are already comfortable with having 4 "flagship" class bodies what's one more?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ianskate posted:

Now I'm rethinking my choices and might consider an upgrade, but really want to wait for the XT3 leaks to start, and not get thrown into the X-T2 -> X-T20 shortly after situation.
I think in the next generation I'll look at the (theoretical) XT-30 or X-E4 if the features warrant upgrading. I like the idea of a smaller body, and I don't take advantage of stuff like the weather sealing on the X-T2 or the dual-SD cards.

I keep wanting to go X100F-only, but I know I'll miss my 90mm lens.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

If you're cool buying used I'm probably going to sell my excellent condition X-T2 depending on the specifics of the X-H1 :)

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

I think in the next generation I'll look at the (theoretical) XT-30 or X-E4 if the features warrant upgrading. I like the idea of a smaller body, and I don't take advantage of stuff like the weather sealing on the X-T2 or the dual-SD cards.

I keep wanting to go X100F-only, but I know I'll miss my 90mm lens.

I can get on that train. Was really considering selling the X-T2 for the 20 as well, for purely photo, but now that they're potentially bringing video to a much more usable level I can have one device for both my endeavors - which seems great in theory.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Looooong ago I used to love photography and had a lot of fun shooting and developing B&W. But then the 90s came and I got caught up in my career and basically gave it all up. Since then I've had a couple of point & shoots and of course nowadays have fun with my phone camera, but I've decided to take the plunge again with some better gear. So I plunked down for a Fujifilm X100F.

It's incredibly fun but I realize I have to actually re-learn everything about photography as a beginner again since it's literally been 36 years since I learned and around 26 years since I took photos worth a drat. But it really, really feels good to have fun with a camera again, and I'm really amazed at this little beast and what it can do. Having the ACROS film simulation is a treat as well for me since that was my favorite B&W film way back in the day.

May I ask any good places to re-learn a lot of the technical aspects of photography, including modern digital and what is can do? Sorry, I'm completely out of the loop and forgot so much about aperture, focal lengths, etc (and modern ISO possibilities are insane to me). Thanks from the old guy. :corsair:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Looooong ago I used to love photography and had a lot of fun shooting and developing B&W. But then the 90s came and I got caught up in my career and basically gave it all up. Since then I've had a couple of point & shoots and of course nowadays have fun with my phone camera, but I've decided to take the plunge again with some better gear. So I plunked down for a Fujifilm X100F.

It's incredibly fun but I realize I have to actually re-learn everything about photography as a beginner again since it's literally been 36 years since I learned and around 26 years since I took photos worth a drat. But it really, really feels good to have fun with a camera again, and I'm really amazed at this little beast and what it can do. Having the ACROS film simulation is a treat as well for me since that was my favorite B&W film way back in the day.

May I ask any good places to re-learn a lot of the technical aspects of photography, including modern digital and what is can do? Sorry, I'm completely out of the loop and forgot so much about aperture, focal lengths, etc (and modern ISO possibilities are insane to me). Thanks from the old guy. :corsair:
Yo GYV. If you have archives I did a rookie thread here that would be a good launching point for a refresher.

I'll probably do a revamped thread at some point in the next couple months, the goal/format for contribution I chose wasn't a winner first time around.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Kenny Logins posted:

Yo GYV. If you have archives I did a rookie thread here that would be a good launching point for a refresher.

I'll probably do a revamped thread at some point in the next couple months, the goal/format for contribution I chose wasn't a winner first time around.

Thanks! :) edit: GYV? :confused:

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 13, 2018

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Thanks! :) edit: GYV? :confused:

Your name, abbreviated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:v: