Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008

Digital Jesus posted:

Thanks, will do.

Also veering off topic a moment, I love your work :swoon: I created my Flickr account just to stalk you check out your stuff.

Also note that the MF mode can focus closer than AF so you don't have to switch into Macro all the time.

Silent mode can be toggled by holding the display button.

If you have OVF power save on the meter/histogram wont show up until you half press the shutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grease Faucet
Feb 24, 2007
For that just-brushed feeling
Anyone have experience shooting concerts and the like on a Micro 4/3rds system? I've been running around to local shows with my GX1 and the 20mm 1.7 and having a lot of fun with it, but I was wondering if there are any other lenses I should have my eye on for the future (this lens can be kind of a pain in the rear end at anything larger than a small venue). Here are some sample shots I took from one of the more recent bands I saw:

P1040749 by RealizeMu, on Flickr

P1040715 by RealizeMu, on Flickr

P1040717 by RealizeMu, on Flickr

Ksi
May 1, 2007
"Hasta la victoria siempre"
So i can manage to get a X-pro 1 body for around 769 dollars NEW.
The problem is, lenses are not that common in my country (I'm from Mexico)

Should i go for it anyway? I was thinking of getting a x100 anyway, as a carry around camera (i have a d700). But seeing the x-pro 1 body going for that price is basically a steal.

Is it worth it over the x100?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ksi posted:

Should i go for it anyway? I was thinking of getting a x100 anyway, as a carry around camera (i have a d700). But seeing the x-pro 1 body going for that price is basically a steal.

Can't you just order the lenses off of amazon?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

More importantly, where the hell did you find that deal?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Was thinking about pulling the trigger on the GX1 w/ 14-42 for $460, but it can't be shipped out of the US or something.

Bastards.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Ksi posted:

What's with this deal? I would but one for under $800 new.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Hey apparently Fuji X-E1 is available now, did any of you guys get one yet?

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
I've heard people managing to get bodies, but no zoom lens yet. Also some folk at DPR are having luck ordering from Hong Kong.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Digital Jesus posted:

Thanks, will do.

Also veering off topic a moment, I love your work :swoon: I created my Flickr account just to stalk you check out your stuff.

Thanks man, I appreciate that.

keyframe posted:

Hey apparently Fuji X-E1 is available now, did any of you guys get one yet?

They're available in some Asian markets with the 35 1.4 but I don't think the 18-55 kit is shipping yet. I've been watching this guy put samples up on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25805910@N05/sets/72157631699329942/?page=2 and it looks like a pretty impressive little lens. I had canceled my preorder to buy some time to figure out whether I was going to go X-Pro 1 + 35 or X-E1 + 18-55 and I still haven't decided.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

ThisQuietReverie posted:

...figure out whether I was going to go X-Pro 1 + 35 or X-E1 + 18-55 and I still haven't decided.

I think I'm going to go with the zoom, since there'll be plenty of existing X-Pro owners to sell it to later when the wide zoom and 23mm (35 efl) f1.4 come out.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
This X-Pro 1 owner was at PhotoPlus Expo last Friday and got to chat with the Zeiss people about the upcoming X-mount lenses. The lady I talked to said they don't have a working prototype yet or even a name for the lineup. They had non-functional prototypes on display. She said they will be about $1000 USD and available in April. I really want the 12mm lens. I can say they are nice looking lenses at least.

I also went to the Sony booth and got some hands-on with the RX1. I thought I wanted it when it was first announced. Now I really want it! Actually, I need this camera! (Actually I need to stop buying and selling camera gear but I think this is a better vice than drugs and crime.)

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
/\/\ gently caress you, don't post poo poo like that just when I thought I was over the rx1 :doom:

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Thanks man, I appreciate that.

They're available in some Asian markets with the 35 1.4 but I don't think the 18-55 kit is shipping yet. I've been watching this guy put samples up on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25805910@N05/sets/72157631699329942/?page=2 and it looks like a pretty impressive little lens. I had canceled my preorder to buy some time to figure out whether I was going to go X-Pro 1 + 35 or X-E1 + 18-55 and I still haven't decided.

Wow that 18-55 is drat good, I had no idea. I am going x-e1 + 35mm but now thinking about getting the 18-55 kit instead of body only like I originally planned.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

David Pratt posted:

I think I'm going to go with the zoom, since there'll be plenty of existing X-Pro owners to sell it to later when the wide zoom and 23mm (35 efl) f1.4 come out.

That's a smart plan considering the kit lens is supposed to be ~$700 by itself and ~$400 bundled with the X-E1. My problem is that the pros and cons of each sort of cancel each other out so I'm left with muddling through my "needs" to figure out which to get. The X100 has spoiled me, it is small and light and it removes all choice regarding focal length. What I can't decide on is whether I want to recreate that experience by coupling a body with a single, fixed lens or if I want to supplement with a zoom and adapted lenses.

Dorkroomer krackmonkey, ever the gentleman, mailed me some X-Pro accessories when he moved to the OM-D and it included a Canon FD mount adapter. I don't have any FD lenses but I do have some nice EF lenses that are sitting unused in a drawer so the smart thing to do would be to get some FD lenses and use the X-E1 as an adapted lens camera with the kit zoom thrown in for future X mount goodness.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

DigitalRev have the X-E1 in stock, price looks alright too. They have a hands-on vid as well. About to check it out.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ThisQuietReverie posted:

That's a smart plan considering the kit lens is supposed to be ~$700 by itself and ~$400 bundled with the X-E1. My problem is that the pros and cons of each sort of cancel each other out so I'm left with muddling through my "needs" to figure out which to get. The X100 has spoiled me, it is small and light and it removes all choice regarding focal length. What I can't decide on is whether I want to recreate that experience by coupling a body with a single, fixed lens or if I want to supplement with a zoom and adapted lenses.

Yeah, getting them bundled is the way to go. I want both the 35 f/1.4 and the zoom (well I want all of the X-mount lenses, but those prices, ouch), although the zoom is more important to me. Looking at completed auctions on eBay, it's most likely going to be easier/cheaper to pick up a secondhand 35mm than a zoom, and I've also already got a Pen 42mm f/1.2 lens that I really like on my NEX-3. My plan is to get the 35mm, shoot with both, then see which one I want to keep. Of course, if past experience is any indication, I'm going to figure out that each one has its own little niche and want to keep both :suicide:

I've been surprisingly happy with my NEX-3 and was originally planning on getting an NEX-7 when they came out, but Fuji seems like they take the X-system seriously, while Sony just kinda... yeah. Before I commit (sell off a bunch of stuff) I'd really like to handle an X-E1 in person, fortunately I live in Japan and I'm pretty sure they'll have a display model at Yodobashi. Tempted to order an X-mount adapter so I can test manual focusing lenses in the store (did that with the NEX-7), but I think impatience might win out here, as after this Friday I think it'd be two weeks or so before I could get down there again. I don't think it'll matter much if I'm doing it by wire, just need to see how good the EVF is.

My brain isn't working today, but basically I'm trying to figure out:
1) How good is the AF, especially in dimmer conditions? (would be relying on it for native-mount lenses, because at least in my experience focus-by-wire sucks). Even though I'm fine with manual focusing, I'm not going to get into a system that has pricey native mount glass that can't even autofocus well.
2) If I'm using a legacy MF lens, how easy is it to focus?
3) How I like the controls/size/whatever

I'm also probably the only person in the universe who cares about this, but I'm pretty stoked that the Fuji cameras also include PictBridge support. I've got this little battery-powered printer that prints business-card sized stickers directly from the camera, and it kills me I can't use it with my NEX (or any of the NEX line). It's always a hit when I bring it to parties/events with my 5D, and the greater portability of a mirrorless system would make it a lot less of a pain in the rear end to do so.

Especially after the RX-1, I feel like it's inevitable that Sony's going to release a full-frame interchangeable lens mirrorless camera in the next year or two, but I'm not going to wait around that long. I'd much rather buy something nice now, use it in the meantime, and just be out the several hundred dollars when I sell it to upgrade.

edit: checked Sony Alpha Rumors... are you loving kidding me, Carl Zeiss? I guess it's to be expected given the 24mm f/1.8, but lol @ paying 1000 euros for a 50mm f/2.8 without stabilization. I'll be over here with a Macro-Nikkor, an eBay adapter, and $900 in my pocket.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 31, 2012

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
That was a long post.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Pompous Rhombus posted:

My brain isn't working today, but basically I'm trying to figure out:
1) How good is the AF, especially in dimmer conditions? (would be relying on it for native-mount lenses, because at least in my experience focus-by-wire sucks). Even though I'm fine with manual focusing, I'm not going to get into a system that has pricey native mount glass that can't even autofocus well.
2) If I'm using a legacy MF lens, how easy is it to focus?
3) How I like the controls/size/whatever

1: I think the AF is fine now. It focuses in dim conditions about as well as my 5D2 ever did with L glass. I never use the AF Assist lamp so I guess it would be better when you use that.

2: I think they have fixed most issues with MF on the X-pro 1 and the X-E1 has a better EVF so it should be doable. I actually prefer the zoom assist to the focus peaking. I just don't like a bunch of pixels glowing all over the place when I'm trying to compose a photo.

3: If you like film cameras/rangefinders, it will seem pretty natural I think. I love how it doesn't hold your hand and just gets out of the way to let you shoot, much like a Leica M series.

At least you have a place nearby to do a hands-on. The only way I can see one is to order it.

Ksi
May 1, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

More importantly, where the hell did you find that deal?

Apparently the retailer (called Liverpool)who was carrying the Fujifilm line officialy (x100, x pro 1, etc) had some problems with Fujifilm Mexico, so they are no longer carrying any of their stuff.

Also it seems no one knows about the x100/ pro x1 around here, so i guess sales weren't that good.

I managed to buy the last x pro 1 body, but it was a display model.
The box was kind of worn out and there was minor aestetic damage (really minor, but it's kinda driving me nuts) but what can i say for that price? I was really bummed out but if it was going to be my carry around it was going to get scratched, hit, pee'd on, whatever.

I get 15 days of warranty directly with them and one year with Fujifilm Mexico.

spankmeister posted:

Can't you just order the lenses off of amazon?

I could, but taxes would rape my butt.

I found another store that is carrying the Fujifilm line. The body is around 2400 bucks so no way in hell i would buy it at a normal price.

But body aside, the lenses are at a fair price (considering tax) so i think i'll buy em from there.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Super jealous man. Once in a lifetime deal! I just ordered an X100 for $100 more if that makes you feel any better about the (invisible) damage :)

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Ksi posted:

Apparently the retailer (called Liverpool)who was carrying the Fujifilm line officialy (x100, x pro 1, etc) had some problems with Fujifilm Mexico, so they are no longer carrying any of their stuff.

Also it seems no one knows about the x100/ pro x1 around here, so i guess sales weren't that good.

I managed to buy the last x pro 1 body, but it was a display model.
The box was kind of worn out and there was minor aestetic damage (really minor, but it's kinda driving me nuts) but what can i say for that price? I was really bummed out but if it was going to be my carry around it was going to get scratched, hit, pee'd on, whatever.

I get 15 days of warranty directly with them and one year with Fujifilm Mexico.

I could, but taxes would rape my butt.

I found another store that is carrying the Fujifilm line. The body is around 2400 bucks so no way in hell i would buy it at a normal price.

But body aside, the lenses are at a fair price (considering tax) so i think i'll buy em from there.

That scratch just ruins it completely. I'll do you a favour and take it off your hands for $10

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TheAngryDrunk posted:

That was a long post.

Yeah, was basically good for nothing but posting nonsense on the internet this morning after two successive nights of less than 6 hours of sleep.

RustedChrome posted:

At least you have a place nearby to do a hands-on. The only way I can see one is to order it.

Unless something else comes up I'll probably head to Fukuoka on Friday to try and get a look at it, anything in particular you'd like me to try?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I've got less than 2000 shots on my X100, and I have more scratches than that. As long as it isn't a scratch on the lens, who cares? Good cameras are made to be used and consequently get banged up a little here and there. Nice deal, I'm envious!

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Unless something else comes up I'll probably head to Fukuoka on Friday to try and get a look at it, anything in particular you'd like me to try?

If you have a chance to grope an NEX 6 with the new pancake zoom, can you give some impressions of how the focusing is, compared to other NEX cameras? I trust you as a NEX vet more than I would trust some scrub reviewer on the free product teat. Thanks and cheers in advance :D

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Does anyone have an E-PL3 and comment on how they like it? Especially the handling.

The 250$ E-PM1 I tried to order got paypal cockblocked so I'm going for the 299$ PL3 now (http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-E-PL3-Micro-4-3-Digital-Camera-14-42mm-II-Lens-Black-Factory-Demo-65952.cfm)

Ksi
May 1, 2007

Helicity posted:

I've got less than 2000 shots on my X100, and I have more scratches than that. As long as it isn't a scratch on the lens, who cares? Good cameras are made to be used and consequently get banged up a little here and there. Nice deal, I'm envious!

You are right. And i guess being beaten up adds character.

Digital Jesus posted:

Super jealous man. Once in a lifetime deal! I just ordered an X100 for $100 more if that makes you feel any better about the (invisible) damage :)

Thank you!

Rated PG-34 posted:

That scratch just ruins it completely. I'll do you a favour and take it off your hands for $10

I guess you are right.I detest it completetly, please take that horrible scratched thing off my hands.

While shooting street photography what do you guys find a good fixed focal lenght? I have a 35mm on my d7000 and i find it alright, but i feel it's really tight in some situations.

I think i should buy the 18mm for the Fuji or just wait for a 35mm equivalent like the x100.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

I put my XP1 in a bag with a beer bottle and the lid scratched a bunch of the black paint off the back, yours barely counts as a scratch.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/10/15/olympus-15-8-body-cap-lens/

Holy cow the 15mm f/8 is going to own so hard. Olympus, quit loving around and take my $50 already

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

The link is broken but, yeah, that crazy bodycap lens is the type of thing I love to see companies come up with.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

Augmented Dickey posted:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/10/15/olympus-15-8-body-cap-lens/

Holy cow the 15mm f/8 is going to own so hard. Olympus, quit loving around and take my $50 already

I have one of these. I picked it up about 2 weeks ago and have had a chance to try it on a walk in the Peak District.

It is actually surprisingly nice to use, and with the image stabalisation set to 16mm on my EP2 it was really easy to hand hold, even with some quite slow shutter speeds caused by the f8.

As you'd expect, the shots weren't by any means as sharp as the more expensive Olympus and Panasonic m4/3 lenses but they were definitely sharp enough and had a really nice feel to them.

The ones i took in black and white looked very much like scans I have done of Ilford HP5.

Definitely worth the £70ish i paid in the UK.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
In a move towards portability, I'm thinking of buying the 16mm NEX pancake lens. The pictures I've seen don't seem that bad, but I'm not much of a pixel peeper. I see places I can buy it for ~$160, but some of the reviews out there are pretty harsh (:byodood: OH GOD THE SOFTNESS!).

Can anyone chime in here?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Empty Pockets posted:

In a move towards portability, I'm thinking of buying the 16mm NEX pancake lens. The pictures I've seen don't seem that bad, but I'm not much of a pixel peeper. I see places I can buy it for ~$160, but some of the reviews out there are pretty harsh (:byodood: OH GOD THE SOFTNESS!).

Can anyone chime in here?

It's wide angle, so chances are you'll be using it outdoors, and chances are you'll be using it in the daylight. So if you just need a lens for f/5.6 and smaller apertures, it's fine. At wider apertures than that, it definitely does suck.

Most of the reason it has had such a bad rap is because it's been the ONLY NEX pancake lens for so long, so people have been trying to use it for all sorts of applications. People wouldn't mind that this cheap pancake lens isn't very good, if there were also better options. And it looks like that's changing lately.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
If you don't mind a little bigger (coat/hoodie pocket instead shirt pocket) the two Sigma lenses are really good.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Costello Jello posted:

It's wide angle, so chances are you'll be using it outdoors, and chances are you'll be using it in the daylight. So if you just need a lens for f/5.6 and smaller apertures, it's fine. At wider apertures than that, it definitely does suck.

What? You're more likely to use a wide angle indoors than outdoors. If you're outdoors, you can move backwards and keep on trucking until you get everything into the frame. Sure, it's not the greatest lens in the world, but for the price it's great.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
I've seen something like this before but it wasn't as thorough. Somebody stuck his iPhone up to the X-E1's EVF and recorded video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMnOuH64n24

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

Beastruction posted:

If you don't mind a little bigger (coat/hoodie pocket instead shirt pocket) the two Sigma lenses are really good.

Depending on how it actually performs at release, it seems like at that point I might as well wait for the the power zoom to come out. I think I might go ahead and grab the 16mm next paycheck.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

My NEX-5N screen is getting to the point where the coating peeling off and small scratches are becoming an issue. I baby the camera overall so it is disappointing to see after trying to take care of it and it not being some el cheapo piece of electronics.

I have seen a couple YouTube videos of people buying a 10 dollar glass screen, taking off the stock one and replacing it but I'm wondering if anyone hear has done it or could recommend replacement screens?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

HPL posted:

What? You're more likely to use a wide angle indoors than outdoors. If you're outdoors, you can move backwards and keep on trucking until you get everything into the frame.

Mostly what you photograph indoors is people, and then objects. The only time people photograph rooms where they want to see the entire thing is when you are selling a house, pretty much.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

:woop: my X100 came :woop: God drat it's a beautiful thing. The battery can't charge fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
I'm a total idiot and wasn't careful enough with my GF1 on vacation - seems like I have sand in my 20mm pancake lens. You can hear it grinding when you adjust the focus. Photos are fine, but how can I get it repaired? Any idea how much it would cost?