Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010
Quick question. I recently bought a Fuji X100 from Amazon and I was given the Asian charger cable. I asked Amazon about it and I was given the option to refund the camera as a whole and receive it back with the US charger, or be given $30 in Amazon money. Does Amazon sell the charger cable? I can't find it. I would greatly appreciate if anybody could gently lead me to one, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

RustedChrome posted:

Are you talking about the wire that goes from the charging brick to the electrical outlet? If so, that's a standard plug. I forget what it's called but it's the same for most cameras, printers, toasters, etc... You can get it at Radio Shack or just use a spare one you might have laying around. People even use the plug from Macbooks to make it more portable

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crmarks/5690247165/

That's exactly what I was talking about, I actually have the plug from my Macbook laying around so I guess I'll use that. Thanks!

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

Startyde posted:

Was it sold as gray market? Because if it didn't come with a us charger it probably didn't come with a us warranty.

It did not say anywhere in the description but I'll contact Amazon and see if it is and return it if it is, thanks!

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

keyframe posted:

That would be amazing if true. Though good luck finding one anytime soon if that price is right. :eng99:

Sadly, Amazon apparently had the body only listed at $1699 and the lenses at around $500. If it were true, I would return my X100 and preorder it immediately.

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

RustedChrome posted:

Amazon doesn't sell gray market items. If you bought it from a 3rd part vendor via Amazon, you should contact the vendor.

I once bought an Xbox 360 from a local retailer and it had the UK plug instead of the US one. They wouldn't replace just the plug so I had to swap the whole unit. The next box we checked had the UK plug too. Sometimes companies just include the wrong part.

It was a 3rd party vendor, but via Amazon prime, which caught my suspicion. Amazon has provided me with a return label so I'll return it when I go back home this weekend. Now I have another dilemma. Do I order the X100 again or another camera/wait for the X-pro? Anyone want to help me with this (I hope I'm not derailing the thread). I do like the 35mm eqiv. aspect, but I did prefer the 50mm eqiv aspect on my previous camera, but I don't want to downgrade in sensor quality nor do I want to spend too much more money.

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

ThisQuietReverie posted:

The x100 is a camera and the X-Pro is a system you buy into. If you're invested in Nikon or Canon already, the x100 is a great everyday shooter. If you're not and the flexibility appeals, the X-Pro will probably be a great choice.

Disclosure: I love my x100 and my Canon gear sits mostly unused as I've tapered off my planned photo excursions in favor of more spontaneous, everyday happenstances or gatherings of people which is where the x100 shines. I'm still considering the X-Pro. I miss scene compression from longer focal lengths sometimes. I don't miss carrying around lenses.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the X-Pro but in the interim I'll be using the x100.

Although I've only used the X100 for only less than a month, I can confidently say that it's been doing the job, and since it's small, its been with me for quite a lot of my outings. The only thing I miss is good AF, since the X100 hunts in low light.

What also attracted me was the 35mm f/1.4 for the X-Pro, since using the 35/1.8 on my Nikon D5000 was a dream. And the fact that the AF could be improved of course.
I'm thinking about holding off on repurchasing the X100 until the price for the X-Pro is released, then preordering it if it the right price. (Please let it be around $1300) Otherwise, I'll repurchase the X100, or strongly consider the D7000 + 35mm combo if it's around $1200 at that time.

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

MediumWellDone posted:

The Fujiguys have put out some videos talking about the X-Pro 1. I found these two the most interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyEH4UcSSZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk8A3Bc8R4g

Oh wow, I'm just amazed at how Fuji listened to the X100 owners and made the menu button huge...

Edit: Looking at part II, the Q button. That singlehandedly makes me want an X-Pro.

Edit 2: Just watching these videos have shown me how much Fuji actually listened. Small things like the exposure dial being flush with the whole top to prevent it from moving too much, the Q button, larger menu button, and the much easier interface. Brb, need to throw money at Fujifilm.

ReptilePicasso fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 10, 2012

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

joelcamefalling posted:

So maybe this one will focus after 1pm? :)

(I love/hate my x100)

Me too, amazing high ISO performance let down by it's subpar autofocus + useless manual focusing. :(

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010
Just a heads-up for you guys looking for an X100. I have one posted on the buy/sell thread! Although I'm looking into switching back to a DSLR-type body, I will entertain offers.

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010
Mr. Jesus, you won't regret it. The lens attached to that baby is like sex but not really. If you don't count macro mode at f/2, everything is sharp and I never had to sharpen my images or even process them that much.

And the bokeh is pretty creamy IMO. Mmmm cream.

Have fun with random onlookers asking you about how your film camera has a screen too. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

Helicity posted:

You're not supposed to shoot macro at anything less than f4. This along with other things like "you can't use longer exposures than 1/4s when power save mode is on" can be frustrating when you first use the camera. A good read-through of the instructions will make your first experiences even better.

And I think it was Clayton Bigsby that said he didn't really see the point in shooting RAW anymore. I know what he means now - images just come out of the camera almost perfect.

Yeah basically, because even at f/4 you get sexy images. Also, yeah I think it was him that mentioned it. X100 just produces beautiful images.