Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I scored a NIB NEX-3 from a big box retailer for $220 (It was collecting dust in the back of the display case) with the E mount 18-55 lens. I've never had a DSLR like camera so this is all new to me.

So far I've put a $10 UV filter on the lens as cheap insurance. Any other useful accessories I should be grabbing? I've had it a day and it's been great fun so far.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, any there any non-Sony batteries that are worth buying? I've definitely noticed that it eats batteries pretty quickly.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Ok, so, I'm intrigued by the prospect of using vintage manual focus lenses on my new NEX. It seems relatively cheap and awesome.

Since I'm new to this whole game and on a limited budget, I'm bidding on a 50mm 1.7 Minolta MC Rokkor which I should hopefully score for $15 or so plus another $20 for an adapter (unless there is a cheaper Minolta->E Mount ring).

Is there a convenient list of vintage lenses that I should look out for on my camera?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Ok, I got a Minolta 50mm 1.7 and E mount adapter on eBay. What am I getting myself into?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

How does the Sony 50mm 1.8 E mount lens compare to these vintage MF lenses in optical quality?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I ordered a second battery for my NEX from Amazon. The one I bought was listed as "used - like new" from a vendor and arrived in "Sony" packaging, however the battery itself is lighter by almost 10 grams, has a different label on the battery itself and the plastic of the battery itself clearly is of different manufacture.

So I'm going to say I got a counterfeit battery. It's charging now, we'll see if it works. I plan on getting my money back from the vendor or Amazon however.

So, on this subject, are there any clone (As opposed to outright fakes) batteries that are known to be decent?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Cool, I'm fine with clones as long as they're cheap/not being sold as counterfeits and they don't blow my camera up.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

whatever7 posted:

My ebay 3rd party battery work just fine. It even work with 5n.

But if a battery is lighter, it should have less capacity.

Yeah, it works in mine. Except I paid $30 for it which is absurd for a Chinese counterfeit. It's going back to Amazon, I ordered 2 generic ones on eBay from Hong Kong for $16.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 27, 2012

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What does it matter unless you're trying to cram a NEX into your pocket?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Anyone have the E-Mount 50mm f1.8? It seems like it might be awesome in low light being stabilized and f1.8.

The kit lens seems to do well with stabilization at least:

Untitled by dtloken, on Flickr

Handheld, 1/8th @ f8, ISO 1600

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It sounds interesting. I dunno how much I want or need a wide/normal prime lens though. Definitely not in my budget at the moment though. I've been enjoying the heck out of my 50mm Rokkor as my day to day lens.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

rio posted:

Fun discovery tonight - took apart one of my wife's portable makeup kits tonight and taped the mirror under the kit flash for my NEX so that I can bounce it. Worked really well, much better than expected. Good enough that I will actually carry around my flash now and use it.

I took some aluminum foil and wrapped it around an old plastic card (think credit card size) and attached it with a rubber band. Seems to work really well, yeah.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Just bought a Minolta MD 28mm f2.8 to go along with my 50mm f1.7 MC Rokkor and 135mm f3.5 Minolta Celtic. I think I'm set for lenses for a while. I think I've spent maybe $75 total for those + the adapter rings.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I was randomly walking around Best Buy today and was playing with a NEX-5R. I have to say, I'm extremely wanting for it. I'll have to look for a used/refurbished body later this Summer when I can afford to replace my NEX-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Do any of the newer NEX cameras let you do sweep panorama while manually setting the exposure?