Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
x100 peeps - has the romance worn off, or do you see this being a lasting relationship? I'm looking at pulling the trigger in a couple of weeks and I'm torn between the terrible lust I have for the x100 and the alternate temptation of grabbing an E-P3 and the new Leica 25mm/1.4 lens instead.

If you were going into the camera shop next month with a fistfull of cash, and you hadn't already bought your x100, would you still make the same purchase, knowing what you know now and having spent this time with yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

keyframe posted:

Absolutely. x100 rocks.

Care to elaborate? Compared to what previous camera/s? Love about it? Dislikes?

If there was one thing you felt most important to communicate to someone considering this purchase, what would it be?

Disregard if my questions are annoying :) Cheers!

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

Before you buy one, make sure you enjoy the 35mm FOV and can make due with it as your only choice to frame shots.

e: A GF2/3 + 20 1.7 or Pen + Leica sounds like a fantastic compromise if you only have one camera, or have a broad range of photographic needs.

I am pretty fond of the 35mm FOV, but there are times when I find myself wanting for something wider.

I already have an Olympus E-PL2 and the 20/1.7, so I'd probably hold onto that since it remains a cheap gateway into other focal lengths if needed. I'd hook my friend up with it if I go the E-P3 route, but I'd keep my 20 no matter what.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

awesome- thanks to all who chimed in on the x100, it gives me some food for thought while I'm waiting for finances to align.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

I'm gonna go for the E-P3 and (hopefully) the 25/1.4 and pretty much never look back. As sexy as the x100 is, I know I'm always going to be wishing it did just a bit more than just one wonderful and brilliant trick.

I love my E-PL2, it's ALMOST perfect for what I'd want from a camera. The E-P3 looks to be even closer to my ideal, and I'll explain why.

My ideal camera, if we're talking pure, forged from raw dream material and bordering on what I'm sure most of you will consider heresy, would be a slightly thicker, just a smidge bigger iPhone with interchangeable lenses and a bigger sensor. I poo poo you not. I'll whip that drat phone out in places where I'm way too self-conscious to bring a "real" camera, and because of that, I am taking more photos every day. I like using a touch screen for focusing and directing focal point, and I love using apps like Instagram, Hipstamatic, and Plastic Bullet, to name a few. Whoever figures out how to design a body/sensor system around a chipset that could run iOS or Android and be capable of running apps is going to completely tear up the consumer camera market and make a giant mountain of cash, and it amazes me that it hasn't already happened. Imagine something like that new iPad app from NIK it it was a collection of fully tweakable exposure presets for a camera with a double digit megapixel sensor and some fast, optically sweet glass. Now imagine it in your pocket, and not even the big pocket, we're talking pants pocket. That would be my ideal camera.

Obviously the E-P3 isn't that camera either, but it has a lot of the characteristics that my ideal camera would have, AND it manages to bridge the divide between my weird fantasy and the suave retro awesomeness of the x100. It has onboard effects that are actually worth using, the AF looks amazing, and it's got some pretty decent low light performance results, from what I've seen. Most importantly, it allows me to keep my wonderful 20/1.7, and I'm mostly comfortable with Olympus's little quirks by now. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Not to knock the X100, I KNOW it's awesome, and I'd love it to death, but it's not the right camera for me, and it took some figuring out to really understand that and make my peace with not giving in to the impulse to hop on the bandwagon, because y'all take some pretty tempting shots with yours, but you know that.

TL/DR: I want an iPhone with interchangeable lenses, but I'll settle for an Olympus.

This is especially ironic since: http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2011/07/olympus-is-talking-trash-about-your-camera-phone/

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Chim posted:

but, if you only had a 25/1.4 on a EP3, wouldn't that also just be one wonderful trick?
Oh yeah, if I exclusively used that setup, you would be 100% correct. What I mean was I already have a couple other m/43 lenses to accompany said setup, so I would have a little more versatility and can always get something else to fill a different focal length, whereas with the x100 I'm permanently committed to that awesome 35mm FOV/Glass.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

poopinmymouth posted:

That's because I forgot about the sony Nex cameras, all the previous posts were about m4/3. If you're willing to go without a viewfinder, the NEX bodies also offer up incredible IQ.

Edited to fix. because I was wrong

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-FDASV1-Optical-Viewfinder-Black/dp/B003UU3KFO

There's definitely an OVF available for current NEX models. No EVF until the NEX7 drops and brings its' own hybrid sexiness to the debate.

I'm sorry I stirred up such a hornet's nest by asking about x100 v. M4/3. Tiny camera folks are a little touchy, it seems. This goes for overpriced point and shoot owners as well :P

I appreciate the debate and the advice, but quit tossing stats around and measuring your DxO-peen's and get back to taking the awesome photos I've seen you all take with your respective kit.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Costello Jello posted:

Sounds like somebody has never been in a thread of Canon and Nikon DSLR owners.
Oh no, I've stared into the mouth of that particular madness before as well...

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Studebaker Hawk posted:

It has been a while since I really read any post in this thread but I don't remember reading about the NEX focus peaking which seems like a pretty elegant solution until there is a viewfinder. Combined with a viewfinder this will be badass

http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/06/sony-firmware-update-brings-peaking-to-nex-3-and-nex-5

I've played with it a little and have been completely impressed by how elegant a solution it really is. This is something that everyone should be ripping off and using as a standard feature in any camera that offers manual focusing.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Look at the m4/3 vs. J1/V1 DxO scores.

DxO scores don't hang in galleries or get magazine covers. Some of the best photos I've ever seen bear no reflection whatsoever on the DxO marks or megapickle count of the tool that took them. This isn't some math where you add up the numbers and the higher result is somehow superior, it's all what you can do with the tools you have at hand.

I've seen people make incredible things happen with their cell phones and I've seen folks with 15 grand worth of Leica system produce utter poo poo. People who hang up on the gear numbers and system superiority wars spend too much time behind their keyboards and not enough time behind their cameras (myself included).

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

A thoroughly vanilla Canon FD 50/1.8 SC and a Fotodiox adapter has turned my NEX 5n into a light eating magical bokeh machine! They should pack this combo into every NEX kit they sell. So much fun for so little expense...

Glasses by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

I pretty much never use the magnification assist except in rare circumstances, it magnifies every slight hand movement as well, so it defeats the purpose in determining how good your focus is. That translates to disaster in my overcaffeinated hands :) On a tripod, I can see it being indispensable.

I'm still shocked at how good the focus peaking mode on the NEX 5n is and how quick and easy it is to find focus and really nail it as long as you've got a slightly contrasty subject for it to read from. How have other manufacturers besides Ricoh not jumped on this bandwagon?

I almost never use anything but that Canon lens on my NEX now, it's too fun and I love what it does and how involved it gets me back in the process.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

HPL posted:

One thing I've noticed with high ISO photos on the NEX 5N is that the character of the noise is totally different from my Canon DSLRs. On the Canons, the noise tends to be way more patterny whereas the noise on the 5N is more random, like film grain. It's a good thing because the noise doesn't stand out as much.
I tend to ADD grain to most of my stuff in post, usually via silver efex or color efex, but there is a nice quality to the way the 5n does noise, you are correct there.

I break a lot of rules in post, I add vignette, noise, and grain where other people would be slavishly trying to eradicate and perfect their images. I like things to be a little dirty, a little imperfect. I should probably do some stuff that is ultra clean, so I know how to get that look when it's needed, but I always gravitate towards making things a little intentionally sloppy.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Medusula posted:

@ Bob Socko Does it? *googles* ah bugger. Problem is money, I set myself a £400 budget, the C3 is £389 and the GF3 is £299. 5n is over £500 and was hit by the flooding so it's 1-3 month wait unless I go hong kong.

Edit: I looked into the GF2 and it's the same price as a new GF3 at the moment without a few features. Picking gear is hard, I may have to go annoy the good people of jessops but our one is poo poo and may not have everything in stock.
The NEX C3 has the miniature mode you like as well as touch focus, although none of your listed options handle touch focus anywhere near as nicely nor as quickly as the Olympus E-P3 (probably out of your budget, however)- I found the touch controls on my NEX 5n to be more nuisance than benefit and quickly disabled them in the menus and will likely never re-enable them unless a FW update adds improvements in the future.

The C3 has the added bonus of articulated screen, which will work well with your planned shoot from the hip approach, and the focus peaking using adapted MF glass is just about as good as it gets. I've got a Canon 50/1.8 on my 5n and don't plan on removing it unless I find a cheap fast 24mm somewhere. The C3 is also going to have an edge in low-light performance and deliver slightly less noise than any of the M 4/3 options, but noise can be handled by Lightroom, etc... and shouldn't be much of a discouragement from the format if that's what you're leaning towards. I'd say right now, the Sony wins if you don't need a variety of E-Mount lenses (since the pickings are slim and will be until later into the year, but should be less of a nitpick around this time next year) and plan on adapting any MF lenses to your new toy. If you're looking for a variety of affordable (and pretty fantastic) AF lenses, then the M 4/3 system is the way to go.

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 29, 2011

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Medusula posted:

Ok I debated and made lists and whatnot - the offers I found for both cameras run out on the 31st. In the end I went for the Panasonic GF3 with kit lens for £300 (new, jessops are doing a cashback deal, amazon have it for £340). Partly because I really want that touch screen and Pinpoint AF for when I shove my nikon lenses on it and make it a telescope, and partly because I will look at that NEX C3 every day and will know it's not the 5N with the features I really want.
I think you did fine, now go out there and have fun with it. Hopefully you're not like me where you'll just be haunted by that 5n until you finally break down and get it, otherwise it's just that old chestnut about buying right or buying twice. Just remember that the best camera is the one that's with you.

And for the love of god, you have no excuse to not get the Panasonic 20/1.7, it's a FANTASTIC piece of glass.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I fondled the Oly E-PM1, E-PL3 and the Sony NEX-5N the other day.

Still can't choose. :smith: (Wel the mini is a bit basic so it's between the PL3 and 5N)

It's a tough choice - on one hand you have the seriously superior sensor and lesser crop factor of the 5n, which is a truly spectacular piece of kit. On the other hand, there are some similarly spectacular glass offerings for the Oly, and the touch screen is much better implemented on the e-P3 than the NEX, if that's a factor at all.

To be honest, if you're at all considering going the m43 route and you've waited this long and don't balk at the price of the e-P3 versus the 5n, you're doing yourself a disservice to not wait a bit longer and grab an OM-D (e-M5) as soon as they land over here. The jump in quality and additional features you get for your patience will reward you for the wait.

That being said, if you're in a time crunch and looking for bang for your buck, I'll toss out that looking at the Panasonic GX1 is worth the time it will take you to find and grope one, I was hellbent on getting an e-P3 and ended up walking out with the Lumix and have no regrets (other than regretting my lack of patience in waiting for the aforementioned OM-D).

Really though, there's always going to be something newer or better just around the corner. Better to decide and act and then get as far away from the internet and the siren call of more gear as you can get and spend that time behind the shutter of what you have.

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 12, 2012

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Hmm the GX1 looks like a winner, it has pretty drat good high-ISO performance despite the m4/3 sensor.

Tests show it gets edged out a bit by the OM-D, but other than that it has no competition in the m4/3 field, it's a much better sensor than the last generation Olympus sensor that the e-P3 series is using. I'd expect a new e-P series camera later this summer with the new sensor from the OM-D, after the hysteria dies down and the OM-D is more readily available.

I really like my GX1- I've only had it a few weeks, but I'm very impressed with it.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

spankmeister posted:

It's interesting to me that no-one here is discussing the Nikon 1.

I mean I took one passing glance at them and thought: "meh".

I'm guessing lots of people share that sentiment.

Nikon made the same mistake I hope Canon avoids making- they came to a fairly well-established party and brought less than the other attendees and somehow thought name alone (and compatibility with their legacy lenses) would be enough. They could have brought a real game-changer and totally remade the mirrorless world to their liking, but they phoned it in with an even tinier sensor and industrial design that is just flat out BORING. Why bother? The V1 could have been cool, imagine it with the sensor from any of their consumer DSLR models and suddenly it becomes a cool, if ugly thing. The d7000 sensor in that body for less than $1000 would have been awesome, which is why Sony was genius to drop it into the 5n.

Whoever steps up first with a (consumer-priced, sub $2k) FF mirrorless is going to claim all the money on the table- my bet is it will be Sony, but I'm willing and wanting to be surprised (looks longingly at Canon).

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

14-42 is supposed to be the better of the 2 lenses in terms of IQ, but the 12-50 gets weatherproofing and motor zoooooooooom plus the macro close-focus. I played with one in the shop last night and am really partial to the 12-50, pixel-peepers be damned!

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

I think the original NEX 3 is a fine little camera, but there's no way it's a $450 open box "deal" in 2012 when the second replacement for it is probably a week or so away from being formally announced. If it's actually a C3, then I'd say it's probably a decent deal, otherwise I'd recommend holding out and either getting the GF3, which is a SWEET M43 camera or looking at the NEX5n kit, which should also run you around $650-ish with an 18-55. There's a lot to argue on pro/con of m43 vs. NEX, and it really just comes down to what you want to do with it. If you're only looking to buy autofocus lenses and want a lot of variety and some really fantastic choices with lots of coverage, M43 is it hands-down. If you're just going to adapt old lenses with cheap, readily available adapters, then it's the NEX edging out M43 due to focus peaking and better/bigger sensors (especially if you pick up the 5n). Ergonomically, and user-interface-wise, both systems have their quibbles, and the M43 probably has a little advantage here because some of Sony's UI choices are truly WTF-able.

So yeah, if you're pulling the trigger today and your choices are the NEX3 or the GF3, I'd say the GF3 is arguably the better choice, but if you have a chance to get a NEX5n, then I'd say you have a tougher choice to consider.

to caveat this - I've personally owned a NEX3 (stolen from my car), a NEX5 (gave it to a friend as a wedding gift), a NEX 5n (sold it in an economic mishap), an Olympus E-PL2 (sold it to a friend getting into photography), and a Panasonic GX1 (just sold it this weekend to cover a debt). I think both systems are pretty loving fantastic and have equal but different merits. I love the NEX because all of the best photos I've ever taken have been on NEX bodies, but I love M43 because they have some of the finest glass I've ever had the pleasure to lay hands on (like the pana-leica 25/1.4, and the Oly 45/1.8). If I had my way, I'd own one body from each system and have the worst time deciding what to take out every time I went shooting. So I guess what I'm saying is that you really can't go WRONG, you can only go contrary to what some people will suggest, but any of your choices will give you a tool that will have great potential, if you go out and use it.

ok you could go wrong by getting one of those ghetto Samsung jobbies, or one of those awful new Nikon mirrorless things, but I'm probably just trolling now :P

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 29, 2012

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

HPL posted:

I was looking at the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 NEX lens and what the hell were they thinking with the filter size? 46mm? Would it have killed them to punch it out to 49mm and keep things standard?

No poo poo. Absolutely ZERO of the 5 local shops carry 46mm ND around here. The pana-leica 25 was in the same boat and it was infuriating.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

HPL posted:

Seeing as they're in the Leica-ish position of not even being able to meet current demand, I don't think they're going to be announcing anything new any time soon.
The Thailand floods and the Japanese earthquake/tsunami cost the Japanese camera industry billions of dollars in lost revenue, destroyed facilities and unsalvageable product and the machinery that manufactured all of it. The reality is, it's going to take them another couple of years to be back to the level of production they were at prior to the flooding, and as a result everything is going to be much scarcer and more expensive until some sort of natural equilibrium is achieved again.

^^^ Congrats on your GF3 adventures, enjoy the poo poo out of your new kit!

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Krackmonkey don't you prefer the GX1 over the GF3? It having a superior sensor and all.

I would say yeah, but it's been mentioned elsewhere here that sensor isn't everything. I think in the case of the GX1 versus the GF3, there's a pretty compelling argument that it is a superior sensor. That and the GF3 is more a entry-level consumer camera for someone who doesn't want the manual controls that you get by graduating to the GX1.

From a usability POV, I'd rather have all the extra physical controls personally, but they should both take pretty identical pictures.

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 30, 2012

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

HPL posted:

They have the optical viewfinder for the 16mm lens. It's just a viewfinder though, like you'd see on top of a rangefinder camera. Nothing electronic about it all.
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=FDAEV1S

No word yet on if it's officially supported by the NEX-F3, but it looks like there's a good chance it will be, based on the mount. (of course it's still a $400 EVF, YIKES!)

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

spankmeister posted:

If it's a wide fast prime you want, you really can't go wrong with the 14mm f2.5 panasonic, although it's like $350.

Sigma has a 19mm f2.8 out for m4/3 with is $200 and is also well regarded, especially considering the price.

The Panasonic is the better piece of kit though.

Third option would be the 20mm f1.7 Panasonic pancake but it's in $500 territory.

But for $200 you cannot go wrong with the Sigma 19mm.

Wanna go wide - go with the Panasonic 14
Want slightly less wide AND faster (but more expensive), go with the Panasonic 20
Want slightly less wide and cheaper but not so fast, go with the Sigma 19

The interesting one is the Sigma 30, since there's less clear-cut choice in the 50-60mm field, except for the GODLIKE Panasonic/Leica 25, and the Sigma at $199 is an appealing budget offering for someone who needs similar coverage but can't quite justify the $500+ for a taste of heaven. That's where Sigma is going to really do well on the m43 side of these lenses.

The NEX mount versions are going to be pretty much the opposite, with the Sigma 19 being the desireable lens and then it's a tossup between the Sony and the Sigma for 30mm with both lenses having their own advantages/disadvantages and similar pricing.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

HPL posted:

It's sad because even once the supply line issue is ironed out, Sony will still be slow on the draw to release a ~30mm pancake even if they could do it because they'll want to milk the Zeiss 24mm as long as they can.
I'd love to see them do an affordably fast 35 (1.4/1.7?) in roughly the same form factor as the Panasonic 25 or even the 50/1.8 - price it under $400 and most of the NEX folks would consider it a blessing. At least the LA-EA2 owners get the 35/1.8 SAM to fill that space.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

After a lot of soul-searching and some repeat visits to several shops for a lot of heavy petting, I finally pulled the trigger on a NEX 7 today. Here's the setup I'm going to be rocking for the foreseeable future:

the new shiny by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

shiny top-down view by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

I've only had a little bit of time with it tonight, but I love how it feels in hand, just the right amount of size and heft that I know it's there but it still isn't full-on DSLR weight. The base of the LA-EA2 is just about perfect for a counter-grip and it seems pretty snappy with the 35 SAM. I also got the 50 e-mount, and there are a couple (cat)photos in my flickr feed taken with that lens, if you're curious. I'll try and post a more detailed accounting of how I'm liking everything after taking a few more days to really break it in and discover what I love/hate about it.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Looks like a Gordy's. Excellent taste in wrist straps, krack.
It most definitely is a Gordy's, ( http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/ ) and I LOVE IT. They're pretty cheap, too, for something so imminently usable and comfortable. (tips his hat at TQR like a true gentleman...)

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Uncle Ivan posted:

What size is the strap in the NEX photo? debating between regular or long length. Does it feel cramped at all? I don't like a loose wrist strap but I want to be able to reach all the controls. I have regular size wrists but fairly large hands.

These Gordy's straps look awesome by the way.
I believe this is the regular size. I have semi-small hands/wrists and it fits just fine, neither too tight nor too loose, full motion and all controls reachable with no straining against the strap itself.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Does the Fuji leather case (or a third party solution) for the XP1 let you still use the tripod mount?
I know the Gariz one does, and it allows battery change without removing the case as well. I think they're e-bay only.

http://www.fujixseries.com/discussion/176/review-of-gariz-x100-half-case/p1

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

A few years ago, I took my 7D and my NEX3 with me on a roadtrip from Springfield MO back home to Seattle, including Yellowstone. That really opened my eyes to how much fun the NEX was to use, and as a result, all of my best photos from that trip were taken with the NEX.

I was way too afraid of losing or breaking the 7D and my one piece of L Glass to take it out and just use/abuse the gently caress out of them like they're supposed to be treated. More and more I made excuses for why the NEX was a better option, and for me, that's what it became.

I'm not here to tell you I think the NEX 3 is better than the 7D, but for the way I use cameras and my own hang-ups about expensive gear, the NEX system was a godsend. I got rid of my 7D within months of that trip, and the one time I have recently tried to return to a full size SLR system (60D), it just didn't take.

All of the "tinycamera" ergonomic things on the mirrorless end of the spectrum just fit my hands and my mental comfort zone, and as the technology and IQ rises to new levels of awesomeness, it makes the argument for going back to a "normal" SLR that much more irrelevant to me.

That's my little sermon about why I like NEX and M43 so drat much, thank you.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

accipter posted:

I have been thinking about getting a new camera recently and wanted something a little better than the point-and-shoot. I was thinking somewhere around $600 for a body and lens. I have been debating between the Sony NEX-5n and the Olympus PEN E-PL2.

Any feedback would be helpful. Also, what is the release schedule for cameras? I probably won't be really needing the camera until early August, but it might be nice for a trip to China in a few weeks.

There's a rumor of the NEXF5 coming later this summer, which could be true, since the NEX5N came about a month after the NEXC3 was announced, and the NEXF3 is due May 17th. If that happens, I would expect that the 5N will drop some in price, but it depends on how many are readily available, since the 5N was hit by the same manufacturing constraints as most of this current crop of camera.

Other than that, expect most of the big announcements to come near the end of August as the industry builds momentum and hype for the Photokina trade show in late September.

There are lots of Olympus and Panasonic deals running right now, especially if you don't mind last year's models. M43 has killer values and tons of overstock by the bushel, where the NEX side is still struggling to fill orders at regular prices.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

I hope they have a well-planned and aggressive lens support strategy. Nikon really hasn't shown much love for their early adopters on their mirrorless system, so it would be nice for Canon to come out and really show folks how it's done.

That being said, the next Canon I buy will probably be a FF body. I don't think anyone's going to beat the OM-D this year, so I'm pleased as punch to finally land on a system that doesn't feel like a compromise.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Canon obviously still only views Nikon as their competition. That arrogance will likely fail them in this particular arena. Too bad, there were a lot of ways they could have gone, this is barely even trying. Maybe next time.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

keyframe posted:

What is the M4/3 equivalent of canon 50mm f1.8, if there is one. I am thinking about picking up the omd next week but I wont have much money left for a lens so I needa cheap but good prime to go with it.

The Sigma 19 or 30 (which resolve out to a 38 or 60 after crop considerations) are both great and affordable options. Really, there's no point in going m43 if you're not planning on grabbing the Pana/Leica 25/1.4 at some point in the near future, though. I wouldn't recommend it if you're strapped to a budget right now, but it should be on every m43 short list, as should the Oly 45 and now also the Oly 75.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Went to Glazers the other day to grope the XPro1 and put a few snaps in-store on my SD card to take home and see how the images looked in LR compared to my recollection of how ABSOLUTELY DREAMY the X100 looked. Mind you, this was all designed to psyche myself up to pull the trigger on making a deposit on the XE1.

Long story short, I went to Kenmore Camera today with that very intent and somehow managed to come home with an XPro1 and the 35/1.4. A triumph of poor impulse control, if ever there was one.

gently caress this thing is fantastic, can't wait for the new FW on the 18th to make it that much better still.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Bob Socko posted:

You know, I still haven't stopped in Kenmore Camera. Is it worth the drive from Sammamish? I love snooping in shops, but I hate 9.5% sales tax.

They're worth the trip, slightly different inventory than Glazer's, sometimes they have the stuff that Glazer's doesn't and vice-versa. Nice people and fair prices, plus a decent used section that seems to be replenished pretty frequently.

I hate the sales tax as well, but I'm trying to get my hobbies and my spending aligned with my politics and put my money back into local, smaller businesses as much as possible. It helps that Kenmore will do their best to meet/match web pricing. Case in point: my XPro 1 - they managed to price/part match me up to an Adorama bundle deal that I know the folks at Glazer's would have told me to GTFO if I even dared ask for. That was (almost) worth the sales tax hit alone.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

XPro 1 peeps - Firmware 2.0 is out and makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE in performance pretty much across the board. If you haven't done the updates before, it's a 2 step/2 download process where you have to DL a separate update for your body and individual updates for each lens you have.

Here's a list of the improvements this FW brings:

1.Improvement of Auto Focus Performance
(1)Auto focusing speed has become much faster under a various shooting condition such as dark scenes, bright scenes and so on.
(2)The shortest focusing distance without switching to macro mode has become shorter.

2.Improvement of Manual Focus Performance
(1)The speed of images coming into focus when turning the focus ring has become faster.
(2)When adjusting the focus with the EVF or the LCD, displaying live view with the minimum depth of field in full aperture has made it easier to focus on subjects.
(3)In addition to the focus checking with the 10-time magnification function, the checking with "3-time" magnification function has been added.

3. Improvement of Writing and Processing Speed
(1)Writing speed to a memory card has become faster with the maximum speed doubled.
<Note> The speed may vary depending on card type and sizes of images.
(2)The waiting time of viewing image after shooting has become shorter.
(3)An image will be displayed approx. one second after pressing the playback button.

4.Other improvements
(1)The ISO setting of "Auto (6400)" has been added.
(2)When EVF or OVF is used, the indicator lamp will turn off because the lamp comes to just in front of your right eye if you see the finder with your left eye.
(3)When shooting in low light situation, a recorded image will look like more natural atmosphere you saw.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xpro1/index.html

lens firmware links are here:

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/#lens_firmware

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

keyframe posted:

Do you guys think Olympus will drop the price of OM-D soon in light of X-E1?

I'm guessing they will roll at current pricing through the holidays and drop after the first of the year. That being said, if they feel between the XE-1, NEX 6 and NEX 5R that they have a lot of competition at the $800-$1000 mark, it may behoove them to drop the OM-D earlier, while it's still considered to be pretty sexy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

If you don't want to blow $600 on the 9-18, the Panasonic 14mm is a fantastic little lens too. I don't really see any reason to buy the 17mm- it's a decent lens but the 14mm is sharper, smaller, and has much better AF.

Seconding this - the Panny 14 is a great piece of glass that is constantly overshadowed by its' 20mm sibling. The 28mm FOV is pretty sweet for travelling around with, and it's small and light.