Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
Am I wrong for wanting to own a GF1 or GF2? I already own a GH1 and GH2 and I can't think of a single good reason why I should own one of those smaller cameras other than "yay pretty :neckbeard:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Clayton Bigsby posted:

The GF2 I am not sold on, but the GF1 is really nice and so cheap it is a crime not to buy one.

I'm only interested in the GF2 because its cute and I can find them for $325 with a 14mm.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

My dorky impulse buy camera has arrived.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

eggsovereasy posted:

I didn't know they still made cases like that. Do you like it so far?

The top case is cut a little too tall for the body, but too short for an EVF, and the button clasps are a little mushy. Other than that it looks great and feels good.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 18, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

ChiTownEddie posted:

For you m4/3 peoples:
Which is considered better, the oly 17mm/2.8 or the panasonic 14mm/2.5?

I am strongly considering getting a mirrorless and I like my semi-wide primes haha.

I just love the heck out of my Panasonic 14mm/2.5

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

ChiTownEddie posted:

I am really torn. How did those of you with a mirrorless camera make your choice of which system?

On one hand is the lessor sensor of the m4/3 but with more native lenses. On the other hand is NEX with the sensor but basically no lenses (the 24 is a biiiit out of my price range).

Non-native lenses are not really a factor to me, but I do realize that it'd be a superior experience on the NEX with peak focusing.

Any insights guys?
Also anyone with an E-PL2/3 (I guess E-P2/3 too), how is the video for you? Not a serious video person but I'd like to have it be 'usable'.
I know you didn't mention it but I really like my GF2 and they're getting supremely inexpensive.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

I know, I know... it's just that it's a borderline negligible problem, but yes, my brand new camera should not have a problem like that.

This is it, by the way (magnified 200%)

Send it back, at least they'll have the tools to remap the sensor and mark that pixel as bad.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

keyframe posted:

Aside from the lovely iso performance are there any shortcomings when it comes to image quality or anything else with the m4/3 sensors? I have never shot with one so I have no idea.

Honestly, I'm pleased with the performance of my GH2 up to ISO 12800.

Here's a sample I took with my GH2 using a Holga lens at ISO 12800 under fluorescent lighting.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Startyde posted:

High ISO isn't bad. If you're coming from film or an older DSLR, it's loving amazing. I sold my D200 and much of my F mount stuff and got the GF1, I regret nothing.

The jump in low light performance between my D200 and my GH2/GF2/GH1 is simply spectacular.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

teethgrinder posted:

I somehow missed this thread early on and have made all my m4/3 posts in the Olympus thread. I'll catch up though as it's only 30 pages... fine for a quiet day at work.

Just thought I'd draw attention to the Wanderlust Pinwide pinhole lens. It's only $40, and fun, if limited. It only works with m4/3 bodies for now, but may come to other mirrorless systems. It can't work with proper (D)SLRs because the pinhole is inset into the body.

I picked up a $25 25mm f/1.4 C-Mount CCTV lens with a $6 BIG-is C-Mount Adapter and it has the worst focusing system known to man. The focus ring is where I've come to expect the aperture ring, and the aperture ring is where I've come to expect the focusing ring.

I've been running it on my GF2 just for grins and it's a surprisingly fun lens. It kicks the crap out of my Holga lens.

SAMPLES!

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

eggsovereasy posted:

This is the way rangefinder lenses are (the ones I've seen anyway), you'll get get used to it if you use it enough.
It wouldn't bug me as much (it's not even that big of a deal to me) if the focusing ring was just a little bit bigger. you are probably right; my opinion of the system is based on the fact that it's different and different things scare me.

PS: This lens is the most fun I've had all week.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 5, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mightaswell posted:

You mean the innovation of phase detect autofocus without a mirror of any sort? How about 1200fps shooting in video and 60fps stills? The V1 and J1 are fantastic cameras for what they are, and I would be thrilled if Canon even matches that. The future is mirrorless, without a doubt.

I wish one of my M4/3 could do 400fps :(

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

powderific posted:

What's everyone's feelings on the X10? I bought a GF2 + lovely kit lense, 20mm pancake, and 200mm zoom last year for my compact system. It was pretty fantastic on a trip to costa rica (especially with the 2x crop factor on the 200mm), but day to day when I'm not on vacation, the whole setup isn't enough smaller than my 5D to make much difference. The kit lens also leaves a whole lot to be desired--though the IS is great for video.

I really enjoy the size of my GF2 with the 20mm pancake. I rarely take any of my other cameras out of the office on weekends unless I have a proper photoshoot since it's so compact and awesome. I even sold my LX3 to my old man since the GF2 kind of did everything I needed it to do really well.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

eggsovereasy posted:

The aperture ring looks very large too, can definitely see how it would be trouble.

Yeah, looks like you're getting some cool results.

I was at my local Subway sandwich shop getting a sandwich when I bumbled into some free silicone finger bands related to their W82txt texting and driving campaign. While cramming my footlong in my mouth I decided one of those bands would be PERFECT for my focusing issue so I snagged one on my way out and jammed it on my camera.

It feels different enough from the aperture ring that I find the right ring every time. There's also the added friction it gives me over the cold anodized aluminum which makes the process of focusing a much easier process. If you end up with one of these lenses I highly recommend you snag a silicone finger ring, or a fat rubber band and put it around the focusing ring. It might look like rear end but it greatly improves the functionality of the lens.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 14, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

powderific posted:

I don't know if the E-PM1 is a "much better" camera than the Panasonic. You're right that the biggest difference is the in body stabilization, along with the Panasonic having a touch screen. In body stabilization can be really nice, but all of Panasonic's zooms other than the super wide have very good in lens stabilization. You're only losing IS on the primes otherwise. As for the touchscreen, I really like having one on my G2 for choosing focus points.

I picked up my G2 for a trip too (mine was to Costa Rica) and brought along the kit lens, a telephoto, and a pancake 20mm. I wound up shooting 75% on the 20mm since, 20% on the telephoto, and, like, ten shots with the kit lens. The fast aperture of the prime was a big reason for me using it constantly. If I did it again I'd probably add a wider prime too. The places you're going, you might think about a really wide zoom for landscape shots.

If you wanna get rid of your kit lens I wouldn't mind snagging it if it was priced right ridiculously cheap.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

It's rough being an Olympus owner and having to pick from multiple manufactures.

You have no idea how bad it is for us Panasonic guys.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was just picked up a Panasonic GF1 with a F/1.7 20mm lens and I really don't need the lens. Is $285 a reasonable price to sell the lens for if it's in great shape?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Random Task posted:

No. It's frequently out of stock and difficult to find at a good price; a little patience should yield closer to maybe $340. Lowest used price on Amazon is 370.

I figure I'd ask $300 throw in shipping if it didn't move in a hurry that way it worked out to 285 net to me and some goon would get a solid deal.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Yeah, sounds like it. I did the very same thing recently except dumped the GF1 and kept the lens. The GF1 was a sweet, sweet camera though and if it had a good, integrated viewfinder I would not have gotten the E-M5.

I'm going to have the GF1 IR converted because I've always wanted an IR camera, and M4/3 seems like an awesome platform for it.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

LiquidRain posted:

I just had to use the Sony 16mm f/2.8 pancake for a few things.

Raaaaaaaargh I want the micro 4/3rds lens selection. I am getting impatient far sooner than I thought I would and find myself considering selling my NEX-7. Goddammit, Sony.

Joiiinnn ussss

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Costello Jello posted:

One good thing about NEX is the NEX kit lens is definitely sharper than the Olympus 14-42 mm kit lens. You can use the NEX kit lens and not want to kill yourself like a lot of other kit lenses.

Which Olympus 14-42 are you talking about? I was under the impression that the second revision of the Olympus 14-42 is much better than the first version of the lens.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Costello Jello posted:

I'm talking about the first, I haven't used the second version. I know it's got better autofocus, but did they actually improve the optics on it?

That's what I heard! I've never used one and have no intention of owning one.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Startyde posted:

I'd probably go for the GX1. They're starting to come down, there was a slickdeal the other day wih kit lens for about 400.
I love my GF1, but the GF1/2/3 are mostly the same outside of image processing improvements(and dumbing down of UI). So GX1 or one of the Pens is the way to go, IMO.
I'm in the same boat. Get a GX1 if you're going to use it as a primary camera. I've been hunting for a GF1 so I could have it IR converted since I really don't see the point of having a camera *with* a mirror converted if it's just going to be stuck in live view all of the time.

e: Oh it's $479 with a 14-42mm lens at Adoarma with free shipping.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 11, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

Just so happens if you're looking for the GX1 body only, that's the Amazon DOTD for $395

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-GX1-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B00604YTFM

Depending on where you live getting the camera with the lens may still be a better deal. In Washington Amazon.com charges us a sales tax so the body only works out to $440 actual vs 480 no tax from Adorama. It kind of makes me sad the GX1's remote port doesn't double as a mic port.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Oh gently caress it! GX1 and 20mm f/1.7 ordered. :dance:

I'm hoping that I can take this camera with me more often than my DSLR.

And if Canon comes out with something that I must have, I know the resale value on this will be pretty good.

My GF2 comes everywhere with me. It's a lovely size and having flexibility with your lenses means you can have a little fun.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hay guys i got an olympus pen!

:haw:

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

accipter posted:

Some pretty funky lenses. Too bad they only support Olympus 4/3

http://lensbaby.com/lenses

They sell NEX and MFT models of their lenses, but I'd rather spend a few more dollar and get an adapter so I can use their lens on another system.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

powderific posted:

Yeah, I've realized that, for my uses, my M4/3 stuff doesn't add enough convenience over my full sized kit to justify the compromises on handling and capability along with the expense of a separate lens library. It's still big enough that I need to sling it over my shoulder or carry a different bag, at which point I may as well have the big camera.

If I didn't have the other camera it might be a different story, especially with stuff like the OM-D coming out, but for now I'm selling off my MFT gear and replacing it with something compact enough to fit in my everyday bag.

Just out of curiosity what is your optimal size for carrying in your everyday bag? I've been rocking my GF2 with a 14mm and a couple cheap Chinese manual only lenses for a few months now and they have been dream a to use. Perhaps you should consider selling everything except your 20mm and snag then snag a refurbished E-PM1 kit to see if that's more your flavor.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 19, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

powderific posted:

I guess I should clarify that by "everyday bag" I mean man purse type thing that's extremely small—the smallest of these guys: http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php

Before the muzetto I carried a Tom Bihn travel bag that was been big enough for an E-PM1, but this bag's aesthetic is much, much nicer and the size is pretty much perfect. I can't see myself ditching it any time soon and realistically the biggest thing I'll be able to fit in there is something like an S100 or RX100.

Man, that's a small bag. My Chrome Metropolis is freaking huge. I regularly hide a gripped Canon 7D with a 100-400 telephoto plus a my GF2 and GH1 in it.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 19, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

RustedChrome posted:

Yeah I don't really want to shoot directly to Facebook or something. If there will be apps to assist with things like long exposures or high-speed shooting, that will be cool. Sadly, I think there will be more offerings along the lines of Hipstamatic and Instagram that will make your expensive camera take photos just like a phone trying to look like a toy camera.

Using toy camera lenses on my GH2 is about the most fun I've ever had with a camera. :colbert:

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

moonduck posted:

Not sure if the thing will sell, but it's a pretty amazing proof of concept as to how small a full 35mm frame digital camera could conceivably be. I mean look at this poo poo (not my image):

God sony fanboys are the worst. Is a $750 camera (counting the lens) compared to $2799 camera system even a valid comparison?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

thetzar posted:

I don't own a single Sony. I don't see how you can call someone a "fanboy" for pointing out that Sony has proven that one can fit a full-frame sensor into a tiny body.

Did you add the copy "Olympus and Panasonic Should Be Ashamed..." because you expressly noted that it's not your image. I'm just commenting on the fact that someone would add that copy when the Sony is a $2799 camera with a fixed lens and the GX1 is a $450 camera with a $350 lens.

A more honest comparison would involve a Fuji X100 or whatever Leica has for a faux-rangefinder.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
E-PM1s for $250 with the factory 14-42mm II lens.
$170 for a lensless factory refurb

:fap:

I wish I could have snagged one of the $240 white ones, even though I have a white GF2.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 18, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

HNNNGGGG

I really want an OM-D tho. :smith:

I really want an E-PM2.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was going to suggest the EPM1 since they're megatiny but holy crap the EPL1 is cheap.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 24, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

teraflame posted:

The Nex 5n price is a steal atm, I think that's the best choice - more money for lenses. Unless you really want EVF. The Nex 6 doesn't have touchscreen though so if you want to use manual lenses its a lot better with touch (pick 5n).

You're trying really hard to get me to jump from the MFT ship aren't you :colbert:

i really want focus peaking

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

ghableska posted:

Is it likely that a GX2 is due for release soon? I was thinking of pulling the trigger for a GX1, but if a successor is coming out I might wait.

You could also hold your breath for a E-PM2 which has a OM-D's sensor shoehorned into it.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens is ridiculously cheap, and I need one of those body caps sobad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pentax's astrophotography mode is actually awesome. They use the sensor shake-table to pan the sensor as the Earth rotates, so you can do long exposures without a tracker. As cool as the NEX system is, I do wish they'd managed to cram in an image-stabilized sensor. I think Sony sells Pentax the sensor anyway, why is Olympus the only company with a short-register shake-sensor mirrorless?

oh my god that is so cool

edit:
why doesnt olympus do that
or focus peaking