Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
can someone with an x100 comment on the battery life? some reviews says it blows (200 images), some reviews are the exact opposite. what is your experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
alright, im sold, where do i buy one? :)

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
hey guys, just got an x100 from a local camera shop, brand new.

I was really surprised to find it came with a sealed battery, PLUS another one already in the camera? Is it true that this came with 2 batteries brand new? Either way, camera is flawless and I don't think i'm going to return it... but it would be interesting to note if somebody put in a battery to play with it and forgot to take it out....

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

krackmonkey posted:

I'm gonna go for the E-P3 and (hopefully) the 25/1.4 and pretty much never look back. As sexy as the x100 is, I know I'm always going to be wishing it did just a bit more than just one wonderful and brilliant trick.

but, if you only had a 25/1.4 on a EP3, wouldn't that also just be one wonderful trick? Not knocking your decision, as you seem to already be vested in m4/3s gear and it makes sense to upgrade in that path, it's just from my personal experience (I own and shoot a d700 and d7000, and have had a m4/3s system in the past with the wonderful 20mm f1.7 that I sold) the x100 is leaps and bounds ahead of anything I ever did with the m4/3s system. And I bought the m4/3s camera to substitute lugging my DSLRs everywhere.

I used to see my Panasonic GF1 and the 20 1.7 sitting on my drawer while I begrudgingly put my d700 and a 24 1.4 in my bag to go out. Now the d700 has been sitting in that exact same spot on the drawer since I've had my x100.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

Zurich posted:

Is it worth upgrading from a GF1 + 20mm to an X100? I haven't played with an X100 in person (mainly because I have no impulse control); is it a huge step up in quality?

I'm really not happy with the direction Panasonic are taking the GF series - thought the GF2 was just a temporary blip but the GF3 is awful - everything the GF1 is not :(

I had a GF1 and a 20mm and sold that way back in teh day because I still lugged around my d700 instead of the GF1 for nearly any occasion I wanted a camera.

I now have a x100 and sold the D700 because of the exact same reason that my GF1 was sold...

It may not look like much on paper, but the IQ and ergonomics and form factor absolutely kills on the x100. Its a pure photographic joyride, I can't recommend it enough.

To put things in perspective, I shot the d700 with a 24 1.4. Nearly 4500 bucks worth of gear. I found the x100 IQ to be similar enough to the point where I sold the d700 (in anticipation of the d800, but still. Haven't missed the d700 at all)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
still loving my x100, had it since day of release. the constant firmware updates are really quite good.