Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I'm still waiting for my X100 :(, but I suppose that's for the best as I still have to finish my thesis.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/05/11/the-top-7-complaints-of-the-fuji-x100-and-how-i-get-around-them-by-steve-huff/

Came across this link for mitigating some of the x100 issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

HPL posted:

If Pentax can somehow magically wring decent low-light performance out of a sensor that small, then I might be interested. Otherwise, what the gently caress?

I couldn't figure it out either until I noticed these lenses in their lineup: "04 Toy Lens Wide", and "05 Toy Lens Telephoto" for the Diana-like effect

It looks like they're aiming at the gimmick-minded hipster retard demographic

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Can't select auto-iso in the iso menu alas. At least you can shoot iso 6400 in raw mode now.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

You could always do that, it just wasn't available in auto-iso as the top ceiling (is it even now? I'm at work and can't upgrade till tonight).

It's 100 and 12,800 that aren't available in raw, but since everything over ISO 1,000 is made from ISO 1,000, it doesn't matter. Shoot at 3200 and bump 1 or 2 in post for exactly the same as shooting that in jpeg.

Oops, that's right. I've been leaving it mostly in auto-iso. 3200 is still the ceiling in any case.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

keyframe posted:

God yes! It is such a waste of a button currently.

They should let you remap it to Direct Print :allears:

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

keyframe posted:

I will be happy if I can just use it as another "set" button. I am going to glue a nub like pimm did.

In other news I have realized something about the x100. If you are in manual and auto focus with the aflock button it autofocuses way faster than regular autofocus mode. This stays true for both macro and regular modes. Any reason why that is? I have completely stopped using the autofocus mode since there is no drawback to using the autofocus in manual mode from what I can see.

No idea why this might be the case; maybe the box size? One drawback is that they still haven't fixed focus confirm for manual + af button

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Currently on vacation in Ecuador and it has served quite well. Occasionally I miss zoom for landscapes but otherwise it is awesome. gently caress lugging around heavy camera gear while traveling and having to checkin bags.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The ovf on the x100 is awesome. Forgot my glasses one day and ended up having to use the ovf as a monocle, which worked out reasonably well I thought.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

NEX-7 will be delayed due to flooding in Thailand.

In other news, I was planning on getting the 55-210 for my NEX-3. It's literally $100 cheaper in America than Japan, but impatience (and not having to worry about it potentially getting held up in customs) may win out here.

Seeing as how an earthquake delayed the X100, I think it's fairly safe to say that god hates mirror-less large sensor compacts.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Oly is also probably going out of business or at least they ought to after that retarded scandal.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

krackmonkey posted:

DxO scores don't hang in galleries or get magazine covers. Some of the best photos I've ever seen bear no reflection whatsoever on the DxO marks or megapickle count of the tool that took them. This isn't some math where you add up the numbers and the higher result is somehow superior, it's all what you can do with the tools you have at hand.

I've seen people make incredible things happen with their cell phones and I've seen folks with 15 grand worth of Leica system produce utter poo poo. People who hang up on the gear numbers and system superiority wars spend too much time behind their keyboards and not enough time behind their cameras (myself included).

Welp, time to sell all my poo poo and just shoot with my ipad camera.

People shouldn't buy oly because the company is run by enron-level jerks who are probably going to get away with it because Japan. I hope that company burns to the ground.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I met someone recently who mentioned that he was one of the few first Canadians to get a hold of the nex7 and he even got a discount on it. I was impressed and jealous.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Shutter speed lock button... I want one now.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

That 70s Shirt posted:

You have no idea how tempting it is to do just that; to buy one and on the off-chance I get the SAB to just send it in for repair. What stops me is reports of people sending in their cameras 2 or even 3 times only to have the problem show up again. That tells me Fuji isn't actually fixing anything, and $1200 is a lot of money to gamble on a camera that will only probably be okay.

Goddammit I'm still tempted anyway.

Keep in mind that the Internet tends to amplify problems. All the people who are happily snapping away with their X100s are not posting angrily on the Internet.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Considering that Euros will soon be worth little more than the paper they're printed on, I'd say that's probably not a bad price :)

To be fair, whoever priced the X-pro1 for the European market, probably had to take into account the current downward trend of the Euro's value.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

And here I thought with the Nikon V1, the silly camera market niche had already been filled.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Cacator posted:

In-camera HDR. You heard it here first.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Cacator posted:

I'm not in any rush to replace my E-P3, but this is an improvement in pretty much every single way. I think it's somewhat better looking (unless viewed straight-on), has better controls, and it's nice that they kept it pretty much the same size. I'm mostly concerned with the video quality, if they fixed the wobbly-ness that makes the video pretty much useless if you move the camera (I don't expect GH2-level quality but something close would be nice) and the new image stabilizer/ISO performance which seems to have been increased significantly.

And...?

Edit: ISO samples at http://olympus-imaging.jp/product/dslr/em5/feature/index2.html, they're too small to be of any use but I guess that since it looks mostly the same until 12800 that's a good thing (25600 looks like 3200 on the E-P3)

And you get in camera HDR. I was interpreting their silly advertising speak.

I still think everyone should boycott oly until they clean up their act.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Cacator posted:

But there isn't any in-camera HDR. Besides, I don't really care if some crotchety old Japanese executives lied about their accounting and finances if a separate division of the company is making a decent product. The camera division isn't even their main business. Now if the E-M5 had a tendency to blow up and kill people, then boycott away.

Why should you care? No one else really cares, neither the government nor the media. Their executives screwed everyone, and they're still running the show. They are laughing at you while doing lines off some secretary's rear end. I wouldn't support them by buying any of their products for the same reason I wouldn't buy oil from Iran or trade with North Korea. It's supporting bad corporate governance. Plus with any luck they'll go out of business because of the screw-up and you'll be left with an unsupported camera.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Cacator posted:

drat, did an Olympus executive touch you as a child? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_scandal#Impact_on_management

All very minor repercussions considering the scale of the scandal.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

ease posted:

I hope you don't drive a car powered by anything.

There were plenty of automakers that didn't get bailed out because they (the unions) weren't poo poo, but I don't see what this has to do with anything.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

keyframe posted:

Just when I was about to pull the trigger on the OM-D, Fuji comes up with X-E1 and now I don't know anymore. :negative:

Forget all that pedestrian poo poo and buy the Leica M instead.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Ksi posted:

Apparently the retailer (called Liverpool)who was carrying the Fujifilm line officialy (x100, x pro 1, etc) had some problems with Fujifilm Mexico, so they are no longer carrying any of their stuff.

Also it seems no one knows about the x100/ pro x1 around here, so i guess sales weren't that good.

I managed to buy the last x pro 1 body, but it was a display model.
The box was kind of worn out and there was minor aestetic damage (really minor, but it's kinda driving me nuts) but what can i say for that price? I was really bummed out but if it was going to be my carry around it was going to get scratched, hit, pee'd on, whatever.

I get 15 days of warranty directly with them and one year with Fujifilm Mexico.

I could, but taxes would rape my butt.

I found another store that is carrying the Fujifilm line. The body is around 2400 bucks so no way in hell i would buy it at a normal price.

But body aside, the lenses are at a fair price (considering tax) so i think i'll buy em from there.

That scratch just ruins it completely. I'll do you a favour and take it off your hands for $10

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

My brother's looking into getting a camera. Is there a body with good video support?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Does Fuji still fix the sticky aperture blade problem out of warranty for free? It finally manifested on my early production X100.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Welp, Fuji USA wants $140 labour to repair sticky aperture blades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone have experience with this housing? It appears to be good quality and nicely priced.

Nikon WP-N1 Waterproof Case for Nikon 1 J1 and J2 Cameras https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008V181N8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_6h-8vb9PQZJBP