Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It really is inspired. When using old glass on my Oly E-420, I often have to resort to using the LCD and judging the pixel shimmer for accurate focus since the OVF is so small and dark. This is basically a reliable extension of that and I agree that everyone should start ripping it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HPL posted:

Panasonic or Olympus should make a m43 500mm f/2.8. It would be awesome for wildlife and what not because you wouldn't need such a ginormous lens compared to a full frame one.

Idea: Small external EVF that fits over your eye like some cyborg thing. Hold the massive lens like a bazooka. Aim...bzzt, bzzt, beep! LOCK! FIRE!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm window shopping MFT bodies, obsessing over which one has which features etc. The GM5 had a cool, perhaps gimmicky thing for video where you'd predefine two focus points and a transition speed and while recording it would smoothly rack from one point to the other at the set speed. Does anyone know if this was retained in later Panasonics?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, it is probably just a little gimmick. Touch focus seems to work very well going by youtube, but it does snap quite fast with a bit of hunting. It's not something I really need anyway, but they could definitely have refined it further.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I'm thinking of trying my hand at some video recording since I've got a GX85, and I was wondering about external mic syncing.

I'm thinking about buying one and have thought about the same. Sync should be pretty easy, if you can zoom in on the waveform in the editor. Since you record audio internally anyway, you just sync two audio tracks. You can make a clap or other sharp sound at the beginning of the recording and line up the peaks. The nuisance is pressing record on two things, maybe you let the sound roll while you stop and start video recording, then you have to figure out which sound file belongs to which video etc etc. You can take a leaf out of the pros' book here, let the audio recorder run all the time, but remember to film it at the beginning of every shot so you see the timecode.

With this in mind I've been searching for a Bluetooth mic which lets me use a phone app for recording, preferably one that can fit a sock and be mounted on the hotshoe. Any ideas?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ideally the sound recording app would be able to beep and flash its timecode on command. Might be a good app learning project for me. Do you have any good suggestions for Bluetooth mics? There's a zillion gold glittering karaoke mics in the Google search result to wade through.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I was digging around the major mic manufacturer websites and found this linked from Shure: http://www.jkaudio.com/bluedriver.htm
Just plug that into whatever mic you want to use and now it's a Bluetooth mic that you can pair with your phone. Seems like a good solution.

Nice! Pricey though, $235 on Amazon. That reminds me, I have a Sony SBH20 somewhere, a square little thing you'd clip to your lapel and plug in headphones. It pairs with the phone and sends stereo output one way and mic input the other. However, without knowing much about the Bluetooth protocol, I think there are limits to how good the audio input is. You might need something like the JK Audio thing to get properly good sound. With XLR it gets kinda bulky, but then the mic choice is vast. (edit: With hot shoe mounts galore as well) Very good find.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

congrats!

Seconded. Congrats on the baby as well!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Don't wasabi batteries get very hot? :downsrim:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Xabi posted:

An anecdote: I just returned from holiday and the amount of people walking around with huge DSLRs and even bigger lenses was astonishing. Their lives would have been happier with a rig twice as small. Yours will too.

Another anecdote: I was in the Notre Dame, standing and looking at some bishop's golden rod or whatever. A guy walked past me, did a little stretch of his obviously sore wrist, then heaved his red ringed, grey Canon bazooka up to his face. He then quickly and efficiently snapped a pic of each object in the room while walking sideways like a crab, viewfinder not leaving his eye all the while. Then he left the room. I knew there and then I'll never bring a DSLR on holiday.

I bet flying home with all his gear was a pain in the rear end, no chance of traveling just with hand luggage. Then when he got home he would spend two weeks Lightrooming four memory cards full of Notre Dame, Louvre, the Seine and the Eiffel tower, upload them to Flickr and then never look at them again.

DSLRs - it makes you do life wrong.

Ola fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 27, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

alkanphel posted:

Yeah people simply equate "bigger = better", something that was strongly perpetuated by Canon & Nikon, and it is really hard to get out of the minds of the casual people.

A more subtle mistake is equating "this camera takes better pictures" with "this camera is better to take pictures with".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-e-m10iii-specs-leaked-camera-will-announced-august-31/

Olympus E-M10III specs leaked

quote:

16MP
Touchscreen
4k Video up to 102mbps
121AF Contrast points
EVF 2.36million dots
UHS-II Support
Mic Input

Yay for mic input!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Olympus OM-D E-M10 III (jesus the alphabet soup is getting ridiculous) is announced, but without microphone port. https://www.dpreview.com/news/0860611106/olympus-om-d-e-m10-iii-offers-4k-video-bigger-dials

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

JHVH-1 posted:

who have technology knowledge but don't understand humans.

I think this sufficiently explains Sony engineers of terrestrial origin.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

GEMorris posted:

2. Still no mic jack, this is their most aggressively non-video camera

God dammit. I'm not a vlogger, I'm one of the last humans on this planets that aren't vlogging, but I still would like to have a proper mic to record video with, in a rangefinder style body. I suppose Panasonic don't want to cannibalize their own sales, but what's wrong with selling camera A instead of camera B when the alternative is Fujifilm?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Well the Fuji XA2/3 don't have mike input either, and they are the only Fuji bodies with selfie screen you can do vlogging on. GoPro 5/6 uses to an ugly audio adopter box for external audio but at least you have mike option. I just don't think the Japanese are very competitive when it comes to internet stuff.

You can also record audio on your phone separately and sync in Premiere every time which is a pain.

I wish I don't own so many cameras already that gx85 is a great deal.

The X-E3 has a mic input, but no selfie screen. As I said I don't vlog, but I still think anything but a fold out + tilting screen is a bit of a waste. I'd also like IBIS and excellent pocketability. So at least I can save a bunch of money this time around!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Look just get the gopro, the IS is amazing.

It falls a bit short on the specs interchangeable lens and 4/3 or larger sensor. I guess what I want is a rangefinder E-M5.

e: preferably priced and sized like the GX85 and with Fujifilm look and feel to the stills TIA

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I discovered something disappointing about the GX85. The EVF gets hosed wearing polarized sunglasses. Don't suppose anyone is doing OLED EVFs? I mean it's not the end of the world, it's just annoying.

Shoot portrait, problem solved. :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

harperdc posted:

Legitimate question and I'm not trying to punch down at somebody looking to get into the hobby: Why do you need 20+ MP and 4K video? (How many people really need 4K video in TYOOL 2018...?)

For me at least, it's often about getting the maximum feature set at a given price point. If all else is the same, I'll pick 4K over HD, just because higher numbers = better than. If the HD-only camera has significant features that are important to me, I'll pick that instead.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

spog posted:

I'm kind of surprised that medium format is still going, tbh.

Isn't it the case that the old users (advertising, car manufacturers, etc) are using digitally generated stuff anyway. i.e. the 'photo's you see of cars these days in gloss magazines are actually just really good renders?

Yes, to some extent they are. But it's very expensive to keep 3D drawing all sorts of complex shapes, it's highly skilled and time consuming work. And anything with people always starts with a very high end photo, which then is shopped beyond belief. $10k for a professional tool used every day is peanuts.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I was wondering about that, isn't there a practical limit to how many lenses there can be? We're used to the modern age of furiously geysering out new versions of old products, but the lens ranges of ye olden days were fairly static once a particular mount was fully furnished. Barring major technology changes, there's only so many lenses a particular mount needs, it's not like you need to fill out every possible combination of focal lengths and apertures.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

How do you color correct for a bodybuilder? Do you keep an old strip of leather nearby to make sure you have the right shade of brown?

Lightroom workstation sits on a mahogany table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Atlatl posted:

Uhhhhh I mean you could definitely crank up the shutter speed and crank down the aperture to shoot sports with medium format if you enjoy being miserable.

Fuji jpgs are really good and save me a ton of workflow for my job. You really don't need any editing and at iso 800 and above you can have it bring up shadows/bring down highlights in camera. Sony jpgs are not good. Both the last and current gen fuji sensors are plenty fine and the glass does make a huge difference, since you'll be paying about twice as much for an equally sharp sony lens. Don't worry about sensors, I shoot m43 for wildlife and sports and do 20x24 prints with no problem at all. If you're just doing digital distro nobody will be able to tell at all.

There's an old birder that posts in one of the groups I see on flickr that shoots with a loving coolpix and it looks better than most people shooting a fullframe because he can somehow get super close and has a ton of control over the background.

A pack of bird seed is a fraction of the price of a super tele and yet it has more range.