Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Oh god, why did I open this thread? So many new shiny toys to consider!

I'm a Canon DSLR guy at the moment but I've got to the point where I rarely take it anywhere with me because it's too bulky and it's hard to be inconspicuous wielding a 60D with a 70-200L hanging off it.

I was looking at buying a Sony RX100 until I laid eyes on the NEX series. For the price of the RX100, I could get a Sony NEX-5N with 16mm and 18-55mm.

My wife is adamant that she doesn't want to sell the Canon gear, even though she's only used it twice (with the kit lens, full auto :() nearly a year ago. I guess she's convinced that the RX100 can't replace it because it's a P&S. I have a feeling the NEX would convince her we don't need two cameras but I dunno...

poo poo this has turned into kind of a ramble. I'm sure I had a point when I started... What would YOU do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

An AWESOME problem. How do you feel about the RX100?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

The more I read, the more things I want :( This is a terrible hobby for someone like me. I want to own everything!

I see there's a NEX-5R and 6 popping up for preorder. Is now a bad time to buy an F3 or 5N? Haven't seen pricing for the new models yet. At the moment I'm looking at either something in the NEX series or the Fuji X100.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

teraflame posted:

The Nex 5n price is a steal atm, I think that's the best choice - more money for lenses. Unless you really want EVF. The Nex 6 doesn't have touchscreen though so if you want to use manual lenses its a lot better with touch (pick 5n).

Thanks, I think I will jump on one of these. It looks like I can go from the 5N + 18-55mm to the 5N + 18-55mm + 16mm for like $8 extra, when the lens is like $250-300 by itself. Why would I NOT do this?

Looks like I'd get the whole lot around $650 shipped, which is pretty far below Aussie RRP. I'm about ready to pull the trigger.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Surely it's worth eight dollars.

Options are:

Body only $462
Body + 18-55 $629
Body + 18-55 + 16 $638

Maybe I'll look at body only and adapters... I'm clearly not ready to buy, I have a lot of reading to do!

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 25, 2012

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Oh god I just ordered an X100 :woop: :ohdear:

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Hopefully this is my last schizophrenic post for a while. I'm having last second jitters before my X100 order ships.

For an every day, take everywhere camera, with an eye for street photography, is there anything I should look at in that price range? (around 850 AUD). I'll still have my 60D and lens collection for special occasions, etc.

I'm my own worst enemy :(

I keep coming back and looking at the NEX-5N which is $200 cheaper.

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 28, 2012

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

That's all I needed to hear :) thanks!

Looks like mine is shipping this morning and I should have it mid week!

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Well now it just can't get here soon enough :)

Helicity posted:

You're not supposed to shoot macro at anything less than f4. This along with other things like "you can't use longer exposures than 1/4s when power save mode is on" can be frustrating when you first use the camera. A good read-through of the instructions will make your first experiences even better.

Reading the manual and updating the firmware will be the first things I do.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks, will do.

Also veering off topic a moment, I love your work :swoon: I created my Flickr account just to stalk you check out your stuff.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

More importantly, where the hell did you find that deal?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

DigitalRev have the X-E1 in stock, price looks alright too. They have a hands-on vid as well. About to check it out.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Super jealous man. Once in a lifetime deal! I just ordered an X100 for $100 more if that makes you feel any better about the (invisible) damage :)

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

:woop: my X100 came :woop: God drat it's a beautiful thing. The battery can't charge fast enough.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Nice shot!

Your kid totally looks like a young Dexter Morgan. Keep an eye on your pets! (:3 just kidding)

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I love my X100 but I don't love having no zoom :( I'm thinking about ditching it for a NEX of some flavour.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

What would happen is I would buy the gently caress out of it.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I'm as bad as you, if not worse. Just the other day I was contemplating selling my X100 to get something with zoom, or interchangeable lenses. Now I'm lusting after an X100S.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I buy 9%% of my camera stuff from Digital Rev. They are grey market (you buy direct from them in Hong Kong) but they offer a local warranty, in that they have you get a local quote for repair, submit it to them and they OK it and reimburse/pay for it. I've never had to call on them because everything so far has worked beautifully, but it seems like a nice system.

Plus Kai is awesome. I love their videos :)

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I think it's time to fill the void in my heart left when I sold my X100 a few months ago. For the same price (around 1299) I can get the XE1 with 18-55 or the OMD with either the 12-50 or 14-42+40-150. Or for about $200AUD more I could get the NEX7 with 18-55. I don't know how the kit lenses stack up against each other though.

Anyone care to weigh in? I'm leaning towards the Fuji simply because I loved the X100. I just didn't like having a fixed lens.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Sounds like the X-E1 might be the way to go. I'll try both today if they are in stock at my local store.

I'm pretty tempted to get the X100S bit I know the fixed lens will drive me mad again. How does the X-E1 compare to the X100/X100S?

Edit: crap, both places I was going to look today have it marked as discontinued. I didn't realise it was EOL? Is there a replacement?

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 26, 2013

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I actually meant the X-E1 was marked as discontinued/clearance.

Thanks for the write up, that's really helpful :)

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 27, 2013

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Just picked up a black X-E1 for $1100 AUD. Pretty happy right now!

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

ManiacMatt posted:

So I went to try out a Fuji XE1 at the camera store today after work. Both with the "kit" zoom lens and the 35 f1.4 and god drat is that a nice piece of kit. The EVF was gorgeous and a lot better than what I expected.

I'm afraid I know what I'm saving up my money for now.

Yeah i did exactly the same thing yesterday, except I left with the bloody thing. Couldn't refuse the price.. . Fortunately my wife loves it too. So much that she's finally letting me sell our Canon gear. Might use the cash to fund the 55-200...

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I think I'd rather have an articulating screen than an articulating viewfinder.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Sorry yeah I meant if we were stealing features and sticking them on the X-E1 :)

The Panasonic looks quite nice but I'm in hot sweaty love with Fuji.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I've also just offloaded my DSLR and pile o' lenses in favor of my Fuji mirrorless. I'd recommend getting your hands on a few options in your price range before you make a purchase, but it's definitely not "DSLR or die" :)

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Wow those are some great shots. I foresee a 55-200 in my near future...

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

While we're on Fujichat, has anyone had some hands-on with the 60mm macro? I'm not sure if I want the 55-200 next or the macro. Obviously they don't cover the same roles but I can't buy both just yet.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

ThisQuietReverie posted:

The 60mm is chart-busting sharp and pretty small but the autofocus can be frustrating. There will likely be a glut of them as we start seeing more on the 56mm f/1.2. When the 56 was a 1.4 the mockup prototypes were pretty sizable so if size is a factor for you the 60mm might make you happy. Maybe rent one and see?

Would that I could. Lens rental doesn't seem to be much of a thing in Australia, and the few sites that do it only really offer Canon/Nikon gear. I will no doubt want the 56 1.2 as well so I might just get the telephoto for now.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Also read this thread.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Bob Socko posted:

Oh god, I bit the bullet and am going the Fuji route. :unsmigghh:

Yesssssssssss :getin: What are you getting? I like my X-E1 more every time I use it.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

drat, it would be nice if they did something like that for people that have already bought into the X system. I want to pick up a 55-200.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Yep 2.0 is the current X-E1 firmware version.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Lens firmware may still need updating?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

My sister has expressed interest in getting into photography so I'm thinking about getting her a mirrorless (and Understanding Exposure) for Christmas. She has a tendency to lose interest in things so I'm not going to spend a lot... Although I'd probably reclaim it if it were left gathering dust!

The Olympus E-PM1 with 14-42 seems to run around $200-300 on eBay which is pretty tempting. Any opinions on it, or alternatives to consider? I didn't mind spending a bit more if it's a dud.

Edit: Hmm seems like I can get a E-PM1 kit from B&H for 249 + post anyway. I guess those eBay deals aren't anything amazing! It's $499 RRP here :australia:

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 25, 2013

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Ropes4u posted:

If cameta camera will ship to you they have the same kit for $189

Thanks man, their shipping to Australia is actually very reasonable! They only seem to have pink/purple in stock but that might be okay.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Has anyone tried that Bower fisheye on an X-E1/X-Pro? Seems like it might be fun.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Since we're still on Fujichat (let's face it, this is the Fuji X thread), does anyone have a case they particularly like for their X-E1? I'd kinda like something that can go inside or clip onto a larger bag, as I have a Timbuk2 Sycamore that goes with my everywhere. I was thinking about maybe a Crumpler Haven or something but I'm interested in other peoples thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Hmm that X-A1 is actually a really nice price point for Fuji to hit. When people ask me about my X-E1 they generally balk at the idea of spending over a grand on a non-DSLR (hard mindset to break, I guess), but I think I could have pointed a lot of people at the X-A1 at half the price, even if the sensor and kit lens are a little different/inferior.