Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Time for me to set up a company where I buy from Maelstrom and then sell to Australians. It will probably be higher than UK RRP but still lower than Aussie RRP I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I guess GW took the wrong lesson from all the online purchasing and decided to be giant knobs.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Miles O'Brian posted:

Time for me to set up a company where I buy from Maelstrom and then sell to Australians. It will probably be higher than UK RRP but still lower than Aussie RRP I'm sure.

Darksphere or Blue Boar are massively cheaper than Maelstrom.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Well I'll probably do a construct heavy circle of ouborous now instead of a construct heavy tomb kings. A third GW army doesn't seem like a great idea when you add price to the already difficult mix of storage, transport, and a job/family.

The new bretonnian book better own bones or i'll be so mad.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 16, 2011

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Holy poo poo, hell of a price jump.
Thankfully my Vampire Counts army is already purchased/built, but I JUST got an OK box on sale yesterday, and they've got so much metal in their range I'm hesitant to start it now.

poboom
Apr 22, 2010
It was probably in the old WHFB thread, and a late reply, but someone were trying/considering magnetizing their necro/war sphynx. I stumbled across this guide and thought it might be useful:

http://www.paintedlegions.co.uk/blog/?p=570

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?
Jesus... Why is GW being such wankers?! Are they in a state like what TSR was in right before they got bought out by WotC? Just trying to grab as much money as possible before they burn the company out and start alienating the fan base?! Guess this means I will be buying exclusively from fellow players and people on ebay... What the hell...

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I've made what is likely to be my last ever purchases from GW in the form of an Army of the Dead (to use as a Spirit Host for my VC's), and some DE Wyches to make a bloodbowl team out of.

I am now completely priced out of the market. I won't be paying 40-50% extra to buy their stuff here in Australia. Instead I will buy from Mantic/Avatars of War etc and give them my cash. It's so much cheaper and the sculpts for their Undead are awesome.

Sometimes you have to wonder just who in the hell is running GW these days.

All Aussies and anyone who is now unable to order from Maelstrom from the 31st of May, I suggest using the discount code GW-ROW and use the 18% to buy up big. Or consider alternative suppliers of miniatures, or heck, just different games completely.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Crossposting from the 40k thread:

bhsman posted:

And thus began the Warham Railroad.
This. :hist101:

I'm in the U.S., and all of my local retailers have a blanket 20% discount on anything that isn't direct order. I'm willing to shop and ship for any Aussie/Kiwi/etc. goons, provided you cover the paypal and currency exchange fees. I'm at my FLGS regularly enough it's not much of an inconvenience for me, and they'd love the increased business.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

...oh CRAP. I should try and see if my FLGS has Thanquol and Boneripper before they're replaced by deadly resin versions. :ohdear:

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

Welp looks like I dodged a bullet here, back to not buying GW stuff ever again~

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Dear Australasia - gently caress you

Love GW..

It's not that I've bought any hams for a while (FoW is my current game of choice). But this still
sucks for us southerners.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No Pun Intended posted:

Dear Australasia - gently caress you

Love GW..

It's not that I've bought any hams for a while (FoW is my current game of choice). But this still
sucks for us southerners.

FoW seems like a Australian/NZ dominated thing. I've never seen a game played at the clubs near me in the states where it's all Warmahordes, warhammer fb/40k, and a few guys who play malfaux or whatever you call that game with all the cards and wacky models. Is Flames really huge down under?

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
GW is still freaking out about buying online through 3rd party companies? I was thinking about getting back in with the occasional model here and there after I saw amazon carried the entire line at a 20% discount, but maybe I'm better off with privateer press.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Huh. Not seeing much mention of all the Wood Elf pewters, save for a couple random things. Treeman, Orion, Noble w/ Greatsword (but not the other noble figs??).

I was kind of looking forward to see how resin Warhawk Riders turned out. Balancing those hunks of pewter on flight stands is not an ideal solution.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Tadhg posted:

Huh. Not seeing much mention of all the Wood Elf pewters, save for a couple random things. Treeman, Orion, Noble w/ Greatsword (but not the other noble figs??).

I was kind of looking forward to see how resin Warhawk Riders turned out. Balancing those hunks of pewter on flight stands is not an ideal solution.

Yeah, I wondered the same thing.
Glad I got my wood elf lord with 2 weapons last week, those antlers are the shiiiit.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
Tempted to start ordering in bulk from the UK before the "gently caress Australia" policy kicks into effect, but that almost feels like rewarding them for screwing us over. I'd be tempted to switch to Hordes if I hadn't already invested so much in this game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

zedar posted:

Tempted to start ordering in bulk from the UK before the "gently caress Australia" policy kicks into effect, but that almost feels like rewarding them for screwing us over. I'd be tempted to switch to Hordes if I hadn't already invested so much in this game.

my policy was that I am never going to be satisfied with my model collection if I keep chasing GW armies. I have two huge armies now in bret and skaven and they are far enough apart in the development cycle that I will pretty much always have something to work on, especially after I strip all my knights. If I wanted to add a third or fourth I wouldn't have room to keep it all and it would never get done and cost me a fortune. With hordes I will be able to continue collecting armies with none of these downsides.

Everyone should play fantasy but there no reason not to grab an army from another system that only requires 3 models to play if it keeps you from getting bored and getting in over your head with a massive new fantasy project.

Plus some weeks you just don't feel like carrying more than a dozen models to work with you on club night. My first Circle models should be arriving next week - there's apparently a huge shortage of pp figures currently.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 17, 2011

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Does anyone have any experience with the miniatures from Mantic? They have a very High Elf set but I don't know if they are to small or to big to replace WHFB minis.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
GW arent freaking out about 3rd party orders, since they're still all purchased from them in the first place and everyone uses the same terms and conditions, they get the same amount of money either way.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

IMEX Castle kits- anybody use them? FLGS has either the Avalon or Ivanhoe kit at a big discount, but it's a sealed box and I'm not certain that 1/72 would work out.

On the one hand, its dimensions are very close to the Citadel Fortress. Wall length is two inches shorter, tower height is an inch or so shorter. Terrain is typically forgiving of scale differences, within reason.

On the other hand, it could look like my armies are playing in a kiddie-park castle if the proportions end up being too small. :ohdear:

I'm hoping that somebody has one of the 1/72 IMEX castles, has pictures of their minis next to it, and is happy with it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Welp, just more reasons Mordheim is my game of choice these days.

Of course if doesn't hurt that I'm sitting on 6k points of Lizardmen and about 2K of Vamp counts.

I just wish Warlord didn't suck so much. Reaper is a great company (that actually lowers their prices based on the market value) who makes great mini's but that game blows. I have a free copy and I sometimes feel bad for owning it.

And all the other fantasy wargames of WH's size are either obscure neckbeard stuff, bad, or both.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you play with friends or at a FLGS, there is no reason you can't play Warhammer rules with Mantic/Reaper/Historical miniatures. Don't tell GW though, or they will double the price to any independent store that also carries other miniature lines.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

lockdar posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the miniatures from Mantic? They have a very High Elf set but I don't know if they are to small or to big to replace WHFB minis.

The Mantic Elves are kind of weak. They're out of proportion and too spindly to stand alongside WHFB elves.
I hear really good stuff about their everything else, though.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well hell, I check back into the thread to find out that GW have gone nuts once again. Hell of a shame, thankfully I have pretty much everything I need at present. At least until the Brets get re-released. (I'm also not Australian, but I'm out with their Army for the time being, so consider it sympathetic)

On that front, I'm just about finished with A Game of Thrones (in anticipation of watching the TV series) and I'm pretty much sold on interpreting the different heraldry mentioned in the book into my units of bret knights. Maybe do each block as one of the Lords (ala Stark) and then his bannermen.

I also think I'm going to be getting Perry brothers War of the Roses infantry plastic kits to fill out my archers and men at arms because they're pretty great models and minute scale differences be damned.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

You'll be wanting to do a block as Lord Tywin, just so you can have your very own Mountain That Rides.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I gotta figure out a Mordheim army by June...

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

quote:

I'm afraid it is bad news. This is all you need to know in a nutshell: independent retailers supplied from GW Northern Europe cannot sell GW products outside the EU, plus countries like Norway and Switzerland.

:norway:

One more reason to buy all my GW stuff from ebay I guess :)

i.e. nothing's changed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

any other bret players and/or color theorists around who can help me figure out which colors can go together on either the same model or within the same unit without it looking like a eye destroying clown party? I just pulled my army out last night after a few months of playing something else and got really mad at myself.

I'm really having trouble trying to imagine how to limit the pallet to avoid clashing while still achieving the vibrant effect that the army is supposed to have.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 17, 2011

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Jesus- I just noticed that the $4 price increase to Army Books also applies to the new Tomb Kings and Orcs and Goblins books. That ups it to $41.25.

They just published them- why on earth would they suddenly need to up the price?

(I know, Game$ Work$shop, etc. etc. I'm just still processing all the price increases.)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tadhg posted:

Jesus- I just noticed that the $4 price increase to Army Books also applies to the new Orcs and Goblins book. That ups it to $41.25.

They just published it- why on earth would they suddenly need to up the price?

(I know, Game$ Work$shop, etc. etc. I'm just still processing all the price increases.)

Well look at it from GW's perspective, the new copies will need a new MSRP printed on the cover so this price increase will cover the cost of relabeling the product for the price increase. It's the ultimate win/win for navel gazers and fart sniffers

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Real hurthling! posted:

Well look at it from GW's perspective, the new copies will need a new MSRP printed on the cover so this price increase will cover the cost of relabeling the product for the price increase. It's the ultimate win/win for navel gazers and fart sniffers

They don't print the MSRP on the cover

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They raise prices every year this is literally not a new thing and gets exactly the same reaction. Rar rar never going to buy another GW product but every year we're still here, doing the same thing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

^^
Fair point. I'll still buy new kits for my armies whenever they get around to making non lovely grail knights and pegs that were meant to rank up, but gently caress picking up another faction imho. I would have to get a bigger apartment (and paycheck) to keep collecting fantasy armies the way this edition is going.

S.J. posted:

They don't print the MSRP on the cover

maybe that's cause it will cost 4 dollars more per unit to get the necessary equipment. :colbert:

the 6th/7th editions ones have an MSRP don't they? or am I crazy and just generalizing them in with every other book ever?

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 17, 2011

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bhyo posted:

They raise prices every year this is literally not a new thing and gets exactly the same reaction. Rar rar never going to buy another GW product but every year we're still here, doing the same thing.

It's more the very high price hike in Australia.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Boiled Water posted:

It's more the very high price hike in Australia.

Havent they always been pretty high in australia anyway? The Hike seems to be coming from them not being able to purchase from Northern European companies that dont pay export/import taxes.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Bhyo posted:

They don't often combine the price raise with things like 'you can only buy hard cover versions of our armybooks, also we boosted prices on things like Orcs after making an edition where horde armies are more in style, also one of our best third parties can't get stuff to people who are already being gouged.' Basically since 8th ed stalled out a lot of my group and I have been leaning more to other games, and this recent poo poo compounded it to just make a lot of us go 'gently caress it'.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Bhyo posted:

Havent they always been pretty high in australia anyway? The Hike seems to be coming from them not being able to purchase from Northern European companies that dont pay export/import taxes.

They're getting a double whammy from retailers outside their zone not being allowed to sell to that area anymore and the annual "You're my bitch" from Games Workshop

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

shotgunbadger posted:

They don't often combine the price raise with things like 'you can only buy hard cover versions of our armybooks, also we boosted prices on things like Orcs after making an edition where horde armies are more in style, also one of our best third parties can't get stuff to people who are already being gouged.' Basically since 8th ed stalled out a lot of my group and I have been leaning more to other games, and this recent poo poo compounded it to just make a lot of us go 'gently caress it'.

This sums up a lot of the backlash pretty well.
Only add the "we're moving from metals to a new material to save on costs OH BTW WE'RE CHARGING MORE NOW."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manifest posted:

This sums up a lot of the backlash pretty well.
Only add the "we're moving from metals to a new material to save on costs OH BTW WE'RE CHARGING MORE NOW."

But think of the long term savings! we won't gouge you as aggressively in the future (when you've forgotten about this and would be totally susceptible) because we took these bold steps today!

• Locked thread