Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
That is EXACTLY how the assistant manager at my local GW tried to justify it.
When I pointed out that the shift in materials was supposedly to keep costs low, he tried to ramble on about commodities trading and how the spike in the cost of oil is why the prices have gone up.

I normally try to avoid GW stores, but I wanted to get my hands on a couple of blisters that weren't on the resin recast list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Bhyo posted:

They raise prices every year this is literally not a new thing and gets exactly the same reaction. Rar rar never going to buy another GW product but every year we're still here, doing the same thing.

They do raise prices every year. You are correct- this is not a new thing. The price hikes were expected. While painful, they're not bad in and of themselves.

The switch to a cheaper material coupled with a price hike was definitely a dick move. In no way is resin considered a better or more expensive material than metal. The switch from metal to resin was allegedly because of the increasing price of metal. Increasing the price while switching to a cheaper material is just insulting.

The disparity in prices for Canada and Australia (and other places that I don't know about, I'm sure) vs the USA is ludicrous, given the compared values of their respective currencies. Canadian kits costing 50% more than US kits made sense when the US dollar was worth 1.5 Canadian dollars. The pricing in Canada has remained the same despite the now stronger CA dollar. While a dick move, they obviously feel they can get away with it- fine. The recent price hikes are even more ludicrous, though, as Canadian prices have increased by massive percentages while the US prices increased (comparatively) less. I haven't heard of the new Australian prices, but I'm sure they're similarly insulting.

And, on top of the previous dickish changes, GW is imposing on their independent affiliates by demanding restrictions on where they're allowed to ship GW merchandise (or face having their wholesale agreements revoked.) International trade is perfectly legal (provided they observed all appropriate customs/tariffs/taxes etc. on the transactions), and in fact is considered a good thing for capitalism. GW wants to artificially restrict the flow of their product, in particular to regions that have ludicrously inflated prices (Australia.) I'm certain that this will be justified as "supporting the local Australian brick and mortar stores." While it may encourage local purchases in Oz, it more importantly will encourage the purchase of GW product at the hyperinflated prices.

Additionally, the "routine price hike" is happening to books and kits that were released just this month (Tomb Kings, more Dark Eldar), as well as very recent releases (Orcs and Goblins, Grey Knights.) People were already having to get used to the increased cost of the new hardcover Fantasy Army Books, adding a price hike on newly released and more expensive product is stupid.

To call this "just another price hike" is incredibly flippant and shortsighted. These are very bad and insulting decisions by GW that will only alienate their fanbase more. Yes, many people will still continue to buy GW products. Some may even drink the kool-aid and declare the "Finecast" minis to be superior products and hail the price increases as "tough but fair." But I think that, with this almost comic book villain combination of practices, GW will be losing a large portion of its market base.

tl;dr- It's a combination of blatantly dickish moves, not your normal annual price hike.

e: spelling.

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 17, 2011

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Also worth noting that we're not all here, doing the same thing. Flip back through the 40k thread to May 2010, and take a look at the big posters then. Now flip back to the last couple pages. Not entirely the same crowd, is it?

Sure, you have a bunch of people who have been plodding through these threads for loving ages, but a lot of others have kicked out entirely. The fact that GW does this regularly doesn't mean that it doesn't have an impact.

Do you think its just some crazy coincidence that GW has made a string of terrible choices, and independent stores are basically sold out of Privateer Press stuff?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sorry to bust up the nerd rage for a second but I've got a skaven question.

I've got these 2 huge anvils of like 80 slaves and 65 clanrats+bell and I was wondering what size my hammers should be (I'm using storm vermnin and monks because I like the models and try to use as many different units in my armies as I can)

I have enough models and spare bases (for unit filler) to pump them up as high as 36 models 6x6 each but that is crazy expensive and would price me out of some other stuff I want.

is 6x5 enough including a character in each? I know they die quickly, but I shouldn't have to worry about ranks with a seer's leadership and 8 unbreakable ranks of clanrats holding the enemy tight even if the hammers run off.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Real hurthling! posted:

But think of the long term savings! we won't gouge you as aggressively in the future (when you've forgotten about this and would be totally susceptible) because we took these bold steps today!

Honestly if they had just waited like, a few months to do this conversion 'for savings' that'd give us enough time to forget about that reasoning by the time the next hike came and there'd be a lot less grumbling, but this was just such an overt "HAHAHA you thought we meant YOUR prices? AHAHAH gently caress y'all!"

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Real hurthling! posted:

sorry to bust up the nerd rage for a second but I've got a skaven question.

I've got these 2 huge anvils of like 80 slaves and 65 clanrats+bell and I was wondering what size my hammers should be (I'm using storm vermnin and monks because I like the models and try to use as many different units in my armies as I can)

I have enough models and spare bases (for unit filler) to pump them up as high as 36 models 6x6 each but that is crazy expensive and would price me out of some other stuff I want.

is 6x5 enough including a character in each? I know they die quickly, but I shouldn't have to worry about ranks with a seer's leadership and 8 unbreakable ranks of clanrats holding the enemy tight even if the hammers run off.

You've pretty much answered your own question. With Skaven for the most part you're not going to use hammer units chosen from troops, you're going to use other things like Doomwheels, Hell Pits, Catapults, Lightning Cannons, or Mortars to do your killing (along with magic). Elite troops for Skaven are simply too costly to try and bring them in any sort of size that will be effective. A 30 man unit is going to be fun and fluffy to use but it will get shot to hell going in.

alg fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 18, 2011

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

angrylinuxgeek posted:

You've pretty much answered your own question. With Skaven for the most part you're not going to use hammer units chosen from troops, you're going to use other things like Doomwheels, Catapults, Lightning Cannons, or Mortars to do your killing (along with magic). Elite troops for Skaven are simply too costly to try and bring them in any sort of size that will be effective. A 30 man unit is going to be fun and fluffy to use but it will get shot to hell going in.

I only really play friendly games and I already have a doomwheel, a HPA, a cannon, 6 rat ogres and 2 warp fire throwers. It's a collection as much as an army as I rarely play with all of it at once. I'm asking when I decide to write a list that takes my plague monks how big should they be to operate effectively in conjunction with a 80 model horde in games at or slightly above 2000pts. I will have plenty of other hammers for the opponent to worry about targeting I just want them to arrive in combat and stay at fighting strength for over a turn - I don't expect them to survive as long as other stuff.

I'm painting them up now and I don't want to do extra work on unit filler while I have a big backlog of poo poo.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 18, 2011

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I played Skaven back in 7th, and all I can add to this is that plague monks rule in all regards.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Okay, I just had a thought, and you all can jump all over me but I just want to make it clear that I am by no means a GW apologist. However, I have a thought.

What if this new material that they are supposed to be using for their models ushers in a new age of not having to spend hours shaving moldlines or filling gaps. Maybe this new casting material really is good stuff. Despite how high the prices are to begin with, if it is possible that this stuff is going to increase the quality of the product, then I might just be willing to pay a few extra dollars for that vast shift in product quality. This by no means justifies $41 for an army book, nor any of the price increases, for that matter (after all, plenty of companies have better casting quality than GW for much lower prices *cough* PP *cough*).

I don't know, it's just a thought that popped into my head. Maybe they think that an increase in quality will somehow shadow the price hike. It doesn't (not completely anyways), but it does shift the feeling of the pricehike from a sour to somewhat bittersweet taste (at least for me).

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Resin can still have mold lines and flash, same as any other casting material.

And if they're using the same molds (as has been alleged), then you can expect things to look pretty much the same as the metal- flash and all.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

read a bunch of army lists. Going with 5x7 blocks to maximize ranks and serve as bodyguards on either side of my bell unit.

Not too worried about the points cost. because I'm fitting pretty much everything I want in, i just have to cut down to a single gutter runner unit and alternate games using my wft+doomwheel or HPA.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

spacegoat posted:

Okay, I just had a thought, and you all can jump all over me but I just want to make it clear that I am by no means a GW apologist. However, I have a thought.

I also wouldn't mind paying extra for quality, but I don't think that's what I'm being asked to do.

:tinfoil: My conspiracy theory is this:

Resin figures will actually cost less than metal. The price hike announcement is a scam, and just before the switch GW will announce the real prices.

This gets people into stores buying armloads of models that will be completely unsellable in a month. It spikes Q2 sales, dumps inventory that will be worthless in a few months, and gives everybody warm fuzzy feelings about GW when they actually announce a price drop. (Even if it's potentially a hike - if resin is cheap enough they can simultaneously bump their margin up while lowering the MSRP.)

...Of course this won't actually happen - from what I've heard they're discouraging LGS metal orders, and for this to work they'd want to as much metal on shelves as possible.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

spacegoat posted:

What if this new material that they are supposed to be using for their models ushers in a new age of not having to spend hours shaving moldlines or filling gaps. Maybe this new casting material really is good stuff. Despite how high the prices are to begin with, if it is possible that this stuff is going to increase the quality of the product, then I might just be willing to pay a few extra dollars for that vast shift in product quality. This by no means justifies $41 for an army book, nor any of the price increases, for that matter (after all, plenty of companies have better casting quality than GW for much lower prices *cough* PP *cough*).

I don't know, it's just a thought that popped into my head. Maybe they think that an increase in quality will somehow shadow the price hike. It doesn't (not completely anyways), but it does shift the feeling of the pricehike from a sour to somewhat bittersweet taste (at least for me).

Dakka.

(I'd say Warseer but "GW Apologist" may as well have a "© Dakka" on it)

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 18, 2011

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Crap, did I fall for a Dakka repost?

To do something other than bitch about GW doing its best Snidely Whiplash impression:

One of my local FLGS stores is starting a Fantasy escalation league. Exact rules and such are going to be set at the first meeting this weekend. From what the store owner has said, there will be three or four Lizardmen players, several Empire players, a Dark Elf player or two, maybe a Tomb Kings and a Skaven player, and whoever else ends up joining. Some of them will be newer players, but overall it sounds like it's going to be a very powergamer heavy league.

Trying to decide between my Wood Elves or High Elves. I love my Wood Elf army slightly more than my High Elves, but I have more models and options for my High Elves. Also, High Elves won't be as frustrating to play against the Slaan and Steam Tanks that I've heard are coming.

It would be incredibly satisfying to do well with Wood Elves, but I'm not certain that I fancy being *that* much of an underdog.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
From this time last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTUAkqn_A7E

:chord:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Selling/trading a bunch of Tomb Kings stuff if peeps are interested. Thread here, if anyone wants anything hit me up at theregoestokyo[at]gmail.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Anybody have a set of the High Elves battle magic cards they're willing to sell/trade? Or have an FLGS that has them in stock and is willing to buy+ship to me?

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Tadhg posted:

Steam Tanks that I've heard are coming.

Plural? With Wood Elves? Fuuuuuuuuuuck that.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zarkov Cortez posted:

its cool but I think we already decided that it has a "can't unsee" cartoon face reminiscent of brum

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I'd buy this just to have those ogres for converting!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Joebungaloe posted:

I'd buy this just to have those ogres for converting!

It's a shirtless dwarf.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Tadhg posted:

Anybody have a set of the High Elves battle magic cards they're willing to sell/trade? Or have an FLGS that has them in stock and is willing to buy+ship to me?

They released a set for the High Elven lore?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

They released a set for the High Elven lore?

It was the first set they did.
I think we've gotten HE, Beastmen, Skaven, O&G, and TK cards so far.
Though they're all on the order sheet for my local gameshop, so they may be going back into print for the Storm of Magic event.
If that's the case I hope we can get magic cards for the rest of the armies out there too.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Manifest posted:

Though they're all on the order sheet for my local gameshop, so they may be going back into print for the Storm of Magic event.
If that's the case I hope we can get magic cards for the rest of the armies out there too.

That would be pretty nice- I've been wondering if they were going to do that. I was able to pick up the TK ones at release, and found the ones for O&G and Skaven on the shelves at at gamestore that dabbles in Warhammer product but doesn't move much of it. Beastmen tend to be cheaper on ebay, only a couple dollars over MSRP. High Elves, though... I'm not paying $30+ for a couple reference cards.

e:

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Plural (steamtanks)? With Wood Elves? Fuuuuuuuuuuck that.
Kind of my thoughts on it. It would be awesome if I were able to win despite them, but I'd honestly have to be playing lists tailored specifically to take down those kinds of shenanigans. That just doesn't sound like much fun week after week, and once people learn how to deal with that kind of one-trick pony list then it would be all over. I'm going to be running my High Elves for the league, just so that I can look forward to variety in the kind of lists I can field.

I really want a new Wood Elf book, but now that's being tempered by the fear of what shenigans GW will do next. At least I shouldn't need too many more models (especially if ineptmule ever gets back to me about shipping!)

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 18, 2011

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Played my 2nd game with OnG today and man they are fun. I had an orc shaman chain Foot of Gork about 6 times on one large unit of whatever pushs Skavens bell unit. Than the spell decided to hit me, though I killed probably about 30 rats and the lord riding on top of it with one spell. As well as a unit of black orcs run down a giant unit of rat ogres in one turn.

I still think I need doom divers for the add some wacky destruction. What are some goon favorites of artillery; doomdivers, spear chuckas, rock lobbers, or maybe even some kind of squigg unit.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just got my magnet-receptive rubber sheeting (10 square feet!!!) and holy poo poo is it a breeze to use. I spent all night retrofitting dozens of slidetrays and tossing the old steel flashing i'd been using. The hold is weaker but perfect - the steel flashing alway gripped too tightly.

ForKhorne posted:

Played my 2nd game with OnG today and man they are fun. I had an orc shaman chain Foot of Gork about 6 times on one large unit of whatever pushs Skavens bell unit. Than the spell decided to hit me, though I killed probably about 30 rats and the lord riding on top of it with one spell. As well as a unit of black orcs run down a giant unit of rat ogres in one turn.

I still think I need doom divers for the add some wacky destruction. What are some goon favorites of artillery; doomdivers, spear chuckas, rock lobbers, or maybe even some kind of squigg unit.

rock lobbas hit harder but divers are more accurate. I'd take one of each for variety's sake. the chucka is a poorer choice despite the low cost because you have terrible ballistic skill and bolt throwers in general aren't as useful as stone throwers.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Real hurthling! posted:

Just got my magnet-receptive rubber sheeting (10 square feet!!!) and holy poo poo is it a breeze to use. I spent all night retrofitting dozens of slidetrays and tossing the old steel flashing i'd been using. The hold is weaker but perfect - the steel flashing alway gripped too tightly.
Isn't it amazing? I only got a 2'x2' square of it, and between all my Elves and SM47's Skaven it's going pretty quickly. I may have to get in on the big group buy when Backno is done moving and sets that up.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Manifest posted:

There's Daemons too, they make the silliest money of them all on eBay.

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007

ForKhorne posted:

Squiggs are fantastic in the new book... definitely consider adding some in to compliment the rest of your army.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
They were fantastic in the old book. One of our local OnG player fielded two hordes of squigs and they frikkin' HURT!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Hoping for plastic squigs someday :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You can have resin ones next week :twisted:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

All that JB Weld I bought... I guess I'll have to find metal things to putty together. :sigh:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I started my Vampire counts army this week with a big box of zombies. I'm so glad that GW are using that old kit still. So many opportunities to be really disgusting and stupid with these guys.

Of course then I decided to make a zombie rising from his grave and I've been filing at his legs on an off for an hour now!

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007

Teim posted:

I started my Vampire counts army this week with a big box of zombies. I'm so glad that GW are using that old kit still. So many opportunities to be really disgusting and stupid with these guys.

Of course then I decided to make a zombie rising from his grave and I've been filing at his legs on an off for an hour now!

Remember that if you have extra bases you can easily make 1.5x the number of actual zombies the box is supposed to make by just having some extra bits of zombies rising from the ground! :eng101:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Teim posted:

just lop them off with a knife. It doesn't even need to be a clean cut because the ballast you glue to the base will hide it anyway.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Joebungaloe posted:

Remember that if you have extra bases you can easily make 1.5x the number of actual zombies the box is supposed to make by just having some extra bits of zombies rising from the ground! :eng101:

One of them is totally going to be a pile of body parts on the ground.

Real hurthling! posted:

just lop them off with a knife. It doesn't even need to be a clean cut because the ballast you glue to the base will hide it anyway.

I did, but then I didn't like how high he was and broke out the file. Now he's up to about his crotch in dirt and his hands reach the ground.

Seriously, best kit ever.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Take the legs and have another dude rising legs-first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just thought of a cool Bretonnian unit that they could release if/when we get an update. I was thinking about the 19th century American Robber barrons that had whole castles imported from europe and rebuilt here when the idea of a movable grail chapel dawned on me.

New plastic battle pilgrims, many of whom are modeled lugging giant stone blocks and holy items, surrounding a massive plastic grail chapel in various states of being disassembled/reassembled as it is dragged forward by yoked oxen. The unit could use the grail knight reliquae as a command model so that that beautiful sculpt doesn't get retired and it would basically crawl along the table (no marching) and count as a garrisoned building with various magical properties when in combat.

That would be awesome and add a solid anchor to the battle line while the knight lances are busy flanking or waiting to charge

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Take the legs and have another dude rising legs-first.

have a zombie reaching over onto another base to pull a friend up feet first.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 19, 2011

• Locked thread