Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
I miss the old days of 6th without the force organization chart. My vampire counts army was one blood dragon, a level one necro, and 150 zombies. Steamrolled everything in that campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gassire posted:

I miss the old days of 6th without the force organization chart. My vampire counts army was one blood dragon, a level one necro, and 150 zombies. Steamrolled everything in that campaign.

25% warmachines was brutal.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
Pretty sure for the counts it was 0-25% for warmahines, since the only one they could field was the black coach.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gassire posted:

Pretty sure for the counts it was 0-25% for warmahines, since the only one they could field was the black coach.

yeah I mean allowing 25% warmachines in general made the game insane. empire and dwarf shooting turns took forever.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
I answered my own question about the IMEX Avalon Castle. Turns out it's just a little on the small side, but it still works pretty well for Warhams. At $30 MSRP it's worth the buy.

I'm actually going to get a second one, as my FLGS has them marked down. With two, it will make a decent sized enclosure. On its own, one is good for a small fortress but doesn't quite say "Castle!" to me.

Pics once it's all assembled. Seriously, this fucker is awesome. Totally worth the :20bux: I spent on it.

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.
I won a kroxigor on Ebay for £5 but the guy just emailed and said he accidentally put up too many kroxigors and that he didn't have one to send me.

He offered a refund or some of his other warhams he's getting rid of, so now I'm getting:

- 10 skinks with javelins (glued)
- 13 skinks with blowpipes (glued)
- saurus hero (still in packet)
- 3 charmeleon skins (still in packet)

What a thoroughly nice chap!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ApocalypseMeow posted:

I won a kroxigor on Ebay for £5 but the guy just emailed and said he accidentally put up too many kroxigors and that he didn't have one to send me.

He offered a refund or some of his other warhams he's getting rid of, so now I'm getting:

- 10 skinks with javelins (glued)
- 13 skinks with blowpipes (glued)
- saurus hero (still in packet)
- 3 charmeleon skins (still in packet)

What a thoroughly nice chap!

Get more chameleons

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Get more chameleons

Or just convert the regular skinks into chameleons like everyone else!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Joebungaloe posted:

Or just convert the regular skinks into chameleons like everyone else!

yeah make little donuts of gs and press little notches in them. Instant chameleon eyes.

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007
Alright boys and girls, tommorrow is 'Ard Boyz Semifinals!!! YAY!!!

I'm enthusiastic about my Ogre list. It has 4 core, 2 special, and 4 characters in it, so it's very kill-point light for the first scenario. It also has 2 banners and a BSB (plus general), so I have 5 points for the third scenario (all of which are tied up in something that is difficult to kill). I'm highly resistant to the damage from the fanatic in the second scenario, and if he ends up in my path during the game my ogre units will have an excellent chance of catching him if they don't have a charge lined up (base S 4 and the possibility of buffing to 5).

Designing around the scenarios was secondary, as this is essentially the same list I took to prelims.

Lords -
Tyrant w/ Tenderizer and Trickster's Helm
Slaughtermaster w/ Fencers Blades, Gruts Sickle, Dragonbane Gem, and Other Tricksters Shard

Heros -
Bruiser BSB w/ Runemaw
Butcher w/ Dispel Scroll, Sword of Striking, and Ironcurse Icon

Core -
17 Bulls w/ FC, naked
16 IGs w/ M, SB, flaming banner
66 Gnoblars
20 Gnoblar Trappers

Special -
Scraplauncher x2

All of the characters hang in the bulls unit. Obviously, this is a dual-deathstar build, w/ two hordes of ogres and a 12 rank deep block of gnobs to steadfast something and take runemaw redirects. Trappers do warmachine hunting and harrassment, scraplaunchers do what they do best. My biggest fear is always running into Teclis somewhere, because he can pick lore of death and purple sun me off the board.

My hope is to do turn-by-turn pictures of my fights and give BRs on the whole thing... if I remember to take the pictures!

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
Do skaven rank bonuses to their leadership tests max out at 3?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mister_Eel posted:

Do skaven rank bonuses to their leadership tests max out at 3?

Yes.

rank bonus refers only to the +1 to 3 points of CR gained for the second-fourth rank.

If you have 8 ranks, your rank bonus is still only +3.

This is why you want to combine your general's inspiring presence with your SiN bonus.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Cornered Rats for Skavenslaves actually works for each rank of 5 after the first, not the rank bonus, so keep that in mind when your slaves explode.

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008

Miles O'Brian posted:

Magnet receptive sheeting for slide trays: http://www.magnetsupplier.com/index.php?cPath=106

Is this pretty much the defacto standard for making slide trays receptive to magnets? Has anyone used it before? I only ask, because I've based my minis with a magnet sheet kind of like the one used for fridge magnets, so I'm hoping they'll be compatible.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

tokyosexwale posted:

Is this pretty much the defacto standard for making slide trays receptive to magnets? Has anyone used it before? I only ask, because I've based my minis with a magnet sheet kind of like the one used for fridge magnets, so I'm hoping they'll be compatible.

The standard I think has been sheet metal. This stuff is easier to work with, though it is a bit more expensive. The hold isn't as strong as with sheet metal, but it still works just fine for me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I've been using rolls of adhesive magnets for ages. Beats the poo poo out of sheet metal because it's both easier to work with, and easier to detach models from.

Rules query:

I'm playing some friends in a friendly "build your biggest lord" battle and I was thinking of taking an ethereal vampire with forbidden lore/beasts.
If I did the spell of transformation into a dragon, would I still be ethereal?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Yes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Whats the point of being Etheral when 99% of your opponents will have magical weapons?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Biggest problem with the transformation spell is once you turn into a big monster, you can be shot easily by anything on the board (so magic missiles) and then when dispelled you take all the wounds and die.

Plus yeah Warhammer shits magical attacks on everything so ethereal is pretty useless when you can't take any other stuff.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
If you go ahead and cast Transformation of Khadon on turn one then sure. Its great if you find yourself in combat somehow.

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008

Tadhg posted:

The standard I think has been sheet metal. This stuff is easier to work with, though it is a bit more expensive. The hold isn't as strong as with sheet metal, but it still works just fine for me.

Re: Miles and Manifest

What kind of magnets are you using? I'm using the kind that is basically a cut up fridge magnet glued to the bottom of my minis. Do you think it will get a strong enough hold from the adhesive sheet.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
I can literally not think of one real time or situation in theory that transformation is anything more then a flashy way to get your wizard killed. Like it's like if I said dousing myself in gas and lighting a match before I charged would gently caress up a guy in a fight, sure maybe, but really you're just gonna leave an embarrassing corpse.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tokyosexwale posted:

Re: Miles and Manifest

What kind of magnets are you using? I'm using the kind that is basically a cut up fridge magnet glued to the bottom of my minis. Do you think it will get a strong enough hold from the adhesive sheet.

K&J magnetics. go there now

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10

Models must have REMs on them. Nothing else is strong enough.

tokyosexwale posted:

buy the magnet receptive rubber. every thing else is a hassle. Steel warps, sucks to cut, grips too tightly, and is really hard to paint. Fridge magnets are weak as poo poo and since they are polar you need to make sure you don't gently caress up the polarity of the magnet on your model. MRR has none of these problems and holds a REM at the perfect strength.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 22, 2011

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

The fantasy league at my FLGS just started, going to run all summer. :dance:

Starting at 1k points, escalating 500 points every two weeks until we hit 3k. One interesting restriction that a couple of people pushed for was "No Lord casters until we escalate to 2,000 points."

That means, among other things, no Lore of Life for my Wood Elves for a month of playing. I'm instead running High Elves for this thing because of that (and the multiple Steam Tank player.)

I'm curious how often you guys run into restrictions like that? I would think that the points needed to take Lord mages would be restriction enough on them. Are they really that much of a problem, or is this restriction a crutch that some of the whinier players in the league are leaning on?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I think that's a pretty nice limitation actually. One of the things I like less about this edition is the fact that not taking a Lord caster puts you at such a disadvantage in terms of magic defence. If I knew that my opponent isn't going to be bringing a lv4 wizard I'd prefer not to bring one of my own. 2000 points is a good point to start introducing them, I feel.

I'd never push for this to become more widely adopted though, I just think it's a nice way to make the escalation league feel more escalate-y :)

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Tadhg posted:

Hey, mine did too!

I had a tough game against Lizardmen which ended with me having 2 units of gunners on the board versus 1 saurus warrior and his lord (so I lost by like 500 VPs).

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It's fine if you have a lot of caster options, but if you look at that from a lizardmen perspective that means you can only have lore of heavens coming out of little fragile guys til 2k. Comp restrictions always make one army awesome and some other army sad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Coming down on the unnecessary/restrictive side here. If you're taking a 3 or 4 hundred point lv.4 at 1200-1800 points you are really limiting the size of your army. People get pissed when they are wiped out by templates in 3 turns, but the number of times that happens is balanced by the times the lord implodes on a miscast or has mediocre rolling.

As has been said, this of course varies by army but imo it is always better to err by making some a bit too strong than others too weak.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I don't think that comp restrictions like this are in the spirit of the game in the slightest. Half the time they're put in place by the biggest power gamers in the group because they've decided to rebalance the rules into their own game.
As someone mentioned above, restrictions like that REALLY gimp some armies, while giving others (basically any non-magic army) a huge boost.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sneak peak of how the resin sprues will look:

packaged with a color pic of the fully painted model for marketing purposes.

Some pics of the catalog in the 40k thread show a hole for hanging on the display rack so don't expect your LGS to be tossing out their blister rack anytime soon.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 23, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Can you even recycle resin? No, right? Those loving sprues...

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Is that injection molded resin? I've never seen that before.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The person that took that photo has probably been sacked already. Theres so much secrecy about this stuff, the staff arent even allowed to take this months white dwarf home in case anyone sees the new Resin stuff before saturday.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

All I know is that I got a resin Ghazghkull coming my way and I couldn't be happier.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Still not thrilled with the resin, to be honest. Thankfully, there will still be a wealth of secondhand oldschool metal models to be found on ebay and in consignment cases.

Like this guy I found just yesterday. :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tadhg posted:

Starting at 1k points, escalating 500 points every two weeks until we hit 3k. One interesting restriction that a couple of people pushed for was "No Lord casters until we escalate to 2,000 points."

That means, among other things, no Lore of Life for my Wood Elves for a month of playing. I'm instead running High Elves for this thing because of that (and the multiple Steam Tank player.)

I'm curious how often you guys run into restrictions like that? I would think that the points needed to take Lord mages would be restriction enough on them. Are they really that much of a problem, or is this restriction a crutch that some of the whinier players in the league are leaning on?

That's a holdover from 7th ed. when you couldn't take lords at all until 2000, right?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That's affirmative.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

theironjef posted:

It's fine if you have a lot of caster options, but if you look at that from a lizardmen perspective that means you can only have lore of heavens coming out of little fragile guys til 2k. Comp restrictions always make one army awesome and some other army sad.

Yea, this works fine for some of the mainline armies where magic scales up resonably, but Lizardmen basically go from 'here's some rerolls' to 'holy poo poo powerhouse'. My friends and I basically played escalation as we collected our respective Warhammer armies, and so for a long time I just didn't have a Slann. The difference in the way the army works and plays is ridiculous, you go from having your goofy skinks try to play magic defense to potentially dominating the phase.

It also seems like this would be a huge 'gently caress you' to armies like Undead, which rely really heavily on lord-level casters to keep their dudes going. I suppose the new Tomb Kings have enough other stuff to pull through, but it's a pretty bad decision. Just rely on the percentage to keep things reasonable. If someone is playing a 1500 point game, they'll have to keep the caster pretty trim anyway (especially for stuff like Slann)

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Yea, this works fine for some of the mainline armies where magic scales up resonably, but Lizardmen basically go from 'here's some rerolls' to 'holy poo poo powerhouse'. My friends and I basically played escalation as we collected our respective Warhammer armies, and so for a long time I just didn't have a Slann. The difference in the way the army works and plays is ridiculous, you go from having your goofy skinks try to play magic defense to potentially dominating the phase.

It also seems like this would be a huge 'gently caress you' to armies like Undead, which rely really heavily on lord-level casters to keep their dudes going. I suppose the new Tomb Kings have enough other stuff to pull through, but it's a pretty bad decision. Just rely on the percentage to keep things reasonable. If someone is playing a 1500 point game, they'll have to keep the caster pretty trim anyway (especially for stuff like Slann)

The problem is that once you involve a slann, the magic phase instantly tips from one side to the other. Fact is, there isn't going to be a way to appropriately balance a slann, even if you tool them back some to be points appropriate. They're just that good. Keeping them away from the game until other armies have a way to deal with them (2000 points being what one person thinks is an appropriate level for this, I may disagree some) is only fair when lizardmen don't need a slann to make their army good. Yeah, sure, it's an amazing character and you'd always want one, but not having one doesn't make chameleon skinks, basic saurus and temple guard, salamanders, etc any less threatening and extremely points/utility effective.

I disagree with manifest that this sort of restriction isn't in the spirit of the game. While for a friendly game thats just a kitchen table one off with a buddy having a restriction like this might be uncool (although it also might be totally appropriate, given the relative armies and skill levels of the two players), for something thats intended for a large number of people over a series of weeks and/or months, setting up rules to balance obvious glaring balance errors at lower points levels seems appropriate. For instance, making a beasts loremaster with a power scroll at 500 points, even at level 1, gets you ToKhadon. Suddenly you're a mountain chimera with 10 wounds that no 500 point army is equipped to deal with...

Basically my opinion is that magic, at lower points levels, wasn't well thought out by GW (because they want and expect larger points games out of their players), and it is up to us to make corrections when we want to run escalation leagues or small points games so that everyone can have a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea sure, it doesn't horribly gimp Lizardmen, my point is that it does radically change how the army plays, and that is something that should be pretty seriously considered. It probably has even bigger effects on other armies.

Warhammer isn't structured for less than 2000pts, so if you are playing below that level you are going to have issues and some armies are going to be on even more uneven footing than during the regular game (this used to be particularly true for Tomb Kings, denying them a proper Heirophant was a huge problem - not sure if it holds true with their new book). If you are going to do this, particularly for some sort of organized setting, you need to do it in a serious and thoughtful way.

For instance, take a look at Warbands (which allows games of 200-500pts). Realizing that this is dramatically different than where the current benchmarks are set, it includes a ton of rules for different armies to allow them to be somewhat balanced at this point. If you are going to start at 1k, you need to go through and do the same thing, making allowances and restrictions for each race to try and balance them out. Otherwise throwing a couple half-considered restrictions are probably going to gently caress things up worse than just using the basic rules.

• Locked thread