Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Currently doing some test schemes on my Wood Elves right now, pics probably tonight.

If I can't win games with them, they'll at least look pretty. :arghfist::gay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Devlan Mud posted:

To continue conversation from the last thread, I almost always preorder the new magic cards with a new army book when they come out because you can flip those on eBay like whoa. Also webway portals, holy poo poo.

Yeah, that's probably going to be my new policy as well. I'd like to get ahold of each of the magic card sets to make a nice reference for my group, but I don't $30 want them.

I'll just keep up on the releases and it'll work itself out over the next few years. Until GW switches to super-limited-collectors plastic chits for the 9th Ed magic system, or something.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Ashcans posted:

Hey Tadhg, we were talking about flagstones for bases. This is what I have been doing on my Eldar:

:hellyeah: That's exactly the sort of thing that I think I'd like to do, and that's an awesome writeup of it. Thanks!

Also, good call on the dollhouse tiles being predone. Even easier (for me, since I'm doing squares) would be to pick up some gridded styrene sheets- I know my FLGS carries those, whereas the dollhouse things are a little more iffy.

In other news, I've been reading over the old Mighty Empire rules from 1990, and holy crap :iia:. It's definitely a simplified adaptation of oldschool wargame type campaigns (WW2/CivilWar/RomanEra/etc.) with a lot of fantasy stuff thrown in. To compare to more accessible analogies, it's one part Risk, one part Axis and Allies, one part Diplomacy, and one part Warhammer Fantasy Battle. If you haven't already, I highly recommend checking it out. It's free for download from GW via that link, and only 64 pages long.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Totally understandable. I'm fortunate enough to have an FLGS that also caters to model trains, and those people are crazy when it comes to details. Dozens of different plasticard patterns, different kinds of flocking, etc. It's a terrain maker's dreamstore.

If I didn't have that kind of stuff at my fingertips, I'd probably be going your route. Doesn't seem that hard to make by hand at all. Though I'd probably opt for using an elmer's gluestick instead of white glue for sticking the paper to the styrene (what I used on the books for the tiny gaming table a few weeks back.)

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Real hurthling! posted:

Am I the only one thinking they just made midget warriors of chaos and recycled some old Squat tank designs from the 40k reject bin for the trains warmachines?

And? :v:

They're still cool looking, in an "if they're not wearing funky hats then this is how I'd like them to look" sort of way.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Not a viking posted:

Will resin survive stripping of paint?

I've stripped the paint from resin things using Simple Green with no problems. Simple Green is just a detergent, I think, and I haven't found anything gaming related that can't stand being put in it (soaking even helps ungunk old drybrushes and clean empty dried-up paint pots.) It's not as magical a paint stripper as oven cleaner or other petrochemicals, but I'd rather deal with the possibility of a repeated soaking + scrubbing than have my minis melt.

I'd recommend being gentle with the scrub brush on tiny resin minis so you don't snap them, though. Lay it in the palm of your hand and scrub over it that way, so that you're not putting excessive force against a weapon or anything.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Crossposting from the 40k thread:

bhsman posted:

And thus began the Warham Railroad.
This. :hist101:

I'm in the U.S., and all of my local retailers have a blanket 20% discount on anything that isn't direct order. I'm willing to shop and ship for any Aussie/Kiwi/etc. goons, provided you cover the paypal and currency exchange fees. I'm at my FLGS regularly enough it's not much of an inconvenience for me, and they'd love the increased business.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Huh. Not seeing much mention of all the Wood Elf pewters, save for a couple random things. Treeman, Orion, Noble w/ Greatsword (but not the other noble figs??).

I was kind of looking forward to see how resin Warhawk Riders turned out. Balancing those hunks of pewter on flight stands is not an ideal solution.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

IMEX Castle kits- anybody use them? FLGS has either the Avalon or Ivanhoe kit at a big discount, but it's a sealed box and I'm not certain that 1/72 would work out.

On the one hand, its dimensions are very close to the Citadel Fortress. Wall length is two inches shorter, tower height is an inch or so shorter. Terrain is typically forgiving of scale differences, within reason.

On the other hand, it could look like my armies are playing in a kiddie-park castle if the proportions end up being too small. :ohdear:

I'm hoping that somebody has one of the 1/72 IMEX castles, has pictures of their minis next to it, and is happy with it.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Jesus- I just noticed that the $4 price increase to Army Books also applies to the new Tomb Kings and Orcs and Goblins books. That ups it to $41.25.

They just published them- why on earth would they suddenly need to up the price?

(I know, Game$ Work$shop, etc. etc. I'm just still processing all the price increases.)

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Bhyo posted:

They raise prices every year this is literally not a new thing and gets exactly the same reaction. Rar rar never going to buy another GW product but every year we're still here, doing the same thing.

They do raise prices every year. You are correct- this is not a new thing. The price hikes were expected. While painful, they're not bad in and of themselves.

The switch to a cheaper material coupled with a price hike was definitely a dick move. In no way is resin considered a better or more expensive material than metal. The switch from metal to resin was allegedly because of the increasing price of metal. Increasing the price while switching to a cheaper material is just insulting.

The disparity in prices for Canada and Australia (and other places that I don't know about, I'm sure) vs the USA is ludicrous, given the compared values of their respective currencies. Canadian kits costing 50% more than US kits made sense when the US dollar was worth 1.5 Canadian dollars. The pricing in Canada has remained the same despite the now stronger CA dollar. While a dick move, they obviously feel they can get away with it- fine. The recent price hikes are even more ludicrous, though, as Canadian prices have increased by massive percentages while the US prices increased (comparatively) less. I haven't heard of the new Australian prices, but I'm sure they're similarly insulting.

And, on top of the previous dickish changes, GW is imposing on their independent affiliates by demanding restrictions on where they're allowed to ship GW merchandise (or face having their wholesale agreements revoked.) International trade is perfectly legal (provided they observed all appropriate customs/tariffs/taxes etc. on the transactions), and in fact is considered a good thing for capitalism. GW wants to artificially restrict the flow of their product, in particular to regions that have ludicrously inflated prices (Australia.) I'm certain that this will be justified as "supporting the local Australian brick and mortar stores." While it may encourage local purchases in Oz, it more importantly will encourage the purchase of GW product at the hyperinflated prices.

Additionally, the "routine price hike" is happening to books and kits that were released just this month (Tomb Kings, more Dark Eldar), as well as very recent releases (Orcs and Goblins, Grey Knights.) People were already having to get used to the increased cost of the new hardcover Fantasy Army Books, adding a price hike on newly released and more expensive product is stupid.

To call this "just another price hike" is incredibly flippant and shortsighted. These are very bad and insulting decisions by GW that will only alienate their fanbase more. Yes, many people will still continue to buy GW products. Some may even drink the kool-aid and declare the "Finecast" minis to be superior products and hail the price increases as "tough but fair." But I think that, with this almost comic book villain combination of practices, GW will be losing a large portion of its market base.

tl;dr- It's a combination of blatantly dickish moves, not your normal annual price hike.

e: spelling.

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 17, 2011

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Resin can still have mold lines and flash, same as any other casting material.

And if they're using the same molds (as has been alleged), then you can expect things to look pretty much the same as the metal- flash and all.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Crap, did I fall for a Dakka repost?

To do something other than bitch about GW doing its best Snidely Whiplash impression:

One of my local FLGS stores is starting a Fantasy escalation league. Exact rules and such are going to be set at the first meeting this weekend. From what the store owner has said, there will be three or four Lizardmen players, several Empire players, a Dark Elf player or two, maybe a Tomb Kings and a Skaven player, and whoever else ends up joining. Some of them will be newer players, but overall it sounds like it's going to be a very powergamer heavy league.

Trying to decide between my Wood Elves or High Elves. I love my Wood Elf army slightly more than my High Elves, but I have more models and options for my High Elves. Also, High Elves won't be as frustrating to play against the Slaan and Steam Tanks that I've heard are coming.

It would be incredibly satisfying to do well with Wood Elves, but I'm not certain that I fancy being *that* much of an underdog.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Anybody have a set of the High Elves battle magic cards they're willing to sell/trade? Or have an FLGS that has them in stock and is willing to buy+ship to me?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Manifest posted:

It was the first set they did.
I think we've gotten HE, Beastmen, Skaven, O&G, and TK cards so far.
Though they're all on the order sheet for my local gameshop, so they may be going back into print for the Storm of Magic event.
If that's the case I hope we can get magic cards for the rest of the armies out there too.

That would be pretty nice- I've been wondering if they were going to do that. I was able to pick up the TK ones at release, and found the ones for O&G and Skaven on the shelves at at gamestore that dabbles in Warhammer product but doesn't move much of it. Beastmen tend to be cheaper on ebay, only a couple dollars over MSRP. High Elves, though... I'm not paying $30+ for a couple reference cards.

e:

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Plural (steamtanks)? With Wood Elves? Fuuuuuuuuuuck that.
Kind of my thoughts on it. It would be awesome if I were able to win despite them, but I'd honestly have to be playing lists tailored specifically to take down those kinds of shenanigans. That just doesn't sound like much fun week after week, and once people learn how to deal with that kind of one-trick pony list then it would be all over. I'm going to be running my High Elves for the league, just so that I can look forward to variety in the kind of lists I can field.

I really want a new Wood Elf book, but now that's being tempered by the fear of what shenigans GW will do next. At least I shouldn't need too many more models (especially if ineptmule ever gets back to me about shipping!)

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 18, 2011

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Real hurthling! posted:

Just got my magnet-receptive rubber sheeting (10 square feet!!!) and holy poo poo is it a breeze to use. I spent all night retrofitting dozens of slidetrays and tossing the old steel flashing i'd been using. The hold is weaker but perfect - the steel flashing alway gripped too tightly.
Isn't it amazing? I only got a 2'x2' square of it, and between all my Elves and SM47's Skaven it's going pretty quickly. I may have to get in on the big group buy when Backno is done moving and sets that up.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

I answered my own question about the IMEX Avalon Castle. Turns out it's just a little on the small side, but it still works pretty well for Warhams. At $30 MSRP it's worth the buy.

I'm actually going to get a second one, as my FLGS has them marked down. With two, it will make a decent sized enclosure. On its own, one is good for a small fortress but doesn't quite say "Castle!" to me.

Pics once it's all assembled. Seriously, this fucker is awesome. Totally worth the :20bux: I spent on it.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

tokyosexwale posted:

Is this pretty much the defacto standard for making slide trays receptive to magnets? Has anyone used it before? I only ask, because I've based my minis with a magnet sheet kind of like the one used for fridge magnets, so I'm hoping they'll be compatible.

The standard I think has been sheet metal. This stuff is easier to work with, though it is a bit more expensive. The hold isn't as strong as with sheet metal, but it still works just fine for me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

The fantasy league at my FLGS just started, going to run all summer. :dance:

Starting at 1k points, escalating 500 points every two weeks until we hit 3k. One interesting restriction that a couple of people pushed for was "No Lord casters until we escalate to 2,000 points."

That means, among other things, no Lore of Life for my Wood Elves for a month of playing. I'm instead running High Elves for this thing because of that (and the multiple Steam Tank player.)

I'm curious how often you guys run into restrictions like that? I would think that the points needed to take Lord mages would be restriction enough on them. Are they really that much of a problem, or is this restriction a crutch that some of the whinier players in the league are leaning on?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Still not thrilled with the resin, to be honest. Thankfully, there will still be a wealth of secondhand oldschool metal models to be found on ebay and in consignment cases.

Like this guy I found just yesterday. :v:

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Continuing the "No Lord Casters at less than 2,000 points" thing-

I had raised the point that such a rule would really handicap Wood Elf armies, as the only Lore they have access to with a Lvl.1 or 2 caster is Athel Loren. The reply was, "Nobody's going to be playing Wood Elves." When I spoke up and said I had been considering it, one of the guys pushing for the rule said, "Well, then you'll just have to deal."

It looks like the two guys who really pushed for that rule are running Tomb Kings and Warriors of Chaos. I suspect that they want to protect their large blocks of Skeletons and Nurgle Marauders from magic in hopes of dominating the low-point games.

The guys who pushed for it also wanted to implement other assorted "balancing" mechanisms into the league, which thankfully were deemed as unnecessary. One of them did demanded that nobody could get outside help when building lists or playing the game, which would create problems for getting new players involved. That was the only one that ended up in the league rules, though I'm still going to be pushing to have it not apply to newbies (there are a few completely new players who want to join.)

The players at this FLGS may not be as weird as at the other store, but a few of them have already come across as WAAC asshats. We'll see how things progress as the league games start.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

The store has a lot of potential as a regular place to play (lots of room, friendly management, focus on getting new people into various games, etc.) The downside is that there seems to be that these couple of players have dominated the scene at this store for a while. There was a 40k league that ran for a year that these guys treated as their own personal tournament, scared off new people, and generally ran the league poorly. They took the lead in setting up this fantasy league.

I'm on decent terms with the owner and primary worker- I used to organize and run CCG tournaments for the store a few years ago. I haven't had time to spend at the store since I got into Warhammer, and the Warhammer scene at this store hasn't been the strongest to begin with (other FLGS in the area are more popular for it.) I'm going to treat the store as my summer project- going to help make another table or two of terrain, try to introduce the interested regulars into the game, maybe run a beginner's painting workshop, and generally try to make the shop a friendly place for warhams. If I can get my beerhammer group playing regularly at the store, it should also help jumpstart things tremendously.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Fuegan posted:

Anyone else buying replacements for models they already own?
I'm doing exactly the opposite- I'm trying to get all the metal models that I want before they become scarce. The only things I could conceivably want in resin are winged things, like WE Warhawk Riders. Even then, I'd prefer the models be in plastic so that joins can be melted together with plastic cement instead of a glue.

shotgunbadger posted:

I support no caster lords until (random point)

Also I like no halberds and only one unit of spears, and only (random number) units with bows.

Also I hate learning to deal with things and think every game should be hugs.
The thing that gets me the most about it is that it's a mostly meaningless restriction anyway. There's not a restriction on Lords in general, just Lord casters. What's the difference between a Lord and Hero caster? An extra spell or two, and an extra +1 or +2 on casting and dispelling attempts.

Given how magic-focued High Elves are, I've been looking closely at my options for magic in the lower point levels with these restrictions. A Level 3 Archmage is only 10 points cheaper than a pair of Lvl.1 + Lvl.2 Mages. By taking multiple Hero Mages, I can get all the spells that I want. I don't really lose out on combat potential either, as I can just spend those points on a Lord Prince.

Of course, I expect complaints when Tweedledum and Tweedledee see their massive blocks of 4-point infantry get hit with any kind of magic, so there's that. But gently caress 'em if they want to bitch about playing games.

Not a viking posted:

I hope you succeed! Would be great if you managed to turn a sperglord cave into a decent club :)
Thanks! I'm actually pretty excited about this, and already have some good support going on improving the gaming scene at the store. Granted, there will probably be some E/N drama from the spergelords at some point. But, again- gently caress 'em if they want to bitch about playing games.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Finecast resin miniatures, you say? Phasing out metal minis you say?

No thanks, I'd rather pick up these guys from my FLGS consignment case. :v:

Why yes, I *did* just pay $25 for 19 Wardancers and $7 for the limited edition Wood Elf Standard Bearer.

And it is awesome. I don't know what they put in the water around here to make people part with awesome minis at these prices, but I'm damned glad for it.

e:

S.J. posted:

Our rep told us, but... we asked :v:
My replocal GW manager flat out lied to my face and said the resin was, "A filthy rumor that you shouldn't listen to," and that, "We're not going to raise our prices, that'd be silly." :smith:

That's why I shop and play at the other two (awesome) stores in the area. :v:

e2: fixed a thing.

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 26, 2011

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

S.J. posted:

Wait... your GW rep? As in sales rep? Or a guy that works at a GW store?

Misspoke: it was the manager of the local GW store (who came fresh from bootcamp in Memphis.)

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Not in the first wave of Finecast, no. A little Googling will turn up peoples' reposting of the Finecast list everywhere. I'd imagine that GW will publish an official list in the next couple of days, for the launch.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Really? I think that the squigs are some of the cooler models that GW has done. In a game where way too many models are taking themselves too seriously, the goofy O&G stuff is refreshing and makes me smile.

What's not to love about these guys?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

The summer magic thing is going to have to be awesome if GW is going to recover from this month. Any word on it beyond, "It's Apocalypse for Fantasy and they're making the monsters for Transformation?"

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Real hurthling! posted:

They stopped doing it for the metals a while ago

Did they? I have two Forest Dragons with only one complete pair of the Sisters of Twilight that say otherwise.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

^^^ Looking good.

If you don't have a mage, or if your last mage has been killed, do you still roll for Winds of Magic on your turn? The purpose would be dispelling opponents remains-in-play spells during your magic phase, since you wouldn't have anything else to throw the dice at.

I know that an army can still attempt to dispel spells during an opponents turn using the dispel dice generated that way, but haven't been able to find a specific entry regarding the WoM on your turn.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

angrylinuxgeek posted:

the Winds of Magic are present even when you don't have a Wizard. it's a part of the setting, really.

Kind of what we figured when it came up in our game- Wardancers killed off a Sorcerer of Tzeentch, so he used the otherwise useless dice on his turn to keep dispelling my Life buffs.

But I've been seeing posts on assorted hams forums mentioning taking a mage "to have access to the WoM." I understand always taking a caster to take advantage of the ability to cast spells and not be left behind in the magic phase, but the language I'm seeing people use caused me to wonder if we had played it wrong.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Epi Lepi posted:

What's a good non-GW model for a Wood Elf Lord with a bow? If wood elves ever get redone with way more plastic I want to play them, and in the meantime, it'd be nice to have a self painted model for use in my D&D games.

Take your pick:
http://www.reapermini.com/figurefinder#search/Elf%20Bow

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Flippycunt posted:

Question:

Can you give characters magical items that they cannot normally select?

Like can I give a magical shield to a character that does not have the option to buy a shield normally?

Yup. That's one of the best used for magic items- making up for shortcomings in character gear.

Caveat: unless it's a casters=no armor thing, or non-casters=no arcane items thing. Can't get around that.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

My escalation league had its first day of games today. 1k points, everybody was was paired for two games each. 12 people showed up, which made for a decent group in the store. I think over 2/3 of all the games ended up rolling the Watchtower scenario. :wtc:

My first game was my High Elves vs. Warriors of Chaos. He took a block of 40 Marauders, 20 Chosen, a Warshrine, and an Exalted Hero. First turn I was able to cast a boosted Searing Doom with IR on his Chosen, and scored a whopping 9 kills. Took a wound, but it was so worth it. Next turn that same mage killed himself by failed his damned initiative test (anything but a six...) for the Nehekaran Sphinx magical terrain. It ended up being a really close game, coming down to his Exalted Hero holding the tower against the tattered remnants of my archers & swordmasters. A lot of close calls for us both, and one of the most fun games I've played so far.

Second game was more frustrating. It was against the FLGS owner's wife who had a semi-assembled army, and she had no idea what she was doing. I don't mind walking new people through games (I spent most of the day being the go-to guy for rules), but she very obviously had no real interest in learning or playing and was only there to do something with her husband. Thankfully, the we never made it past the first turn- the game was called on account of their five year-old getting cranky after a long day at the gamestore and punching daddy in the nuts. She had to take junior home while daddy closed up shop (as ours was the last game of the evening.)

Overall, it was a really great day for everyone. Except for bored FLGS wife.

And daddy's nuts.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

I got a package (two packages, actually) from ineptmule the other week, but I was too busy with final exams and end of semester stuff to give it the attention it deserves. But now, pictures!

A package from Britain! "Royal Mail" just sounds so much classier than USPS.

Wait, a box of Dwarves? I don't play dwarves... this had better not be a trick.

I see. The dwarves were only holding bubblewrappedskirmished treasure.

Dryads! And Glade Guard! They're not dwarves at all! :v:

And a bunch of pewter elves, as well! I finally have a block of Eternal Guard :black101:

The next package contained a *lot* of little horsies. :3:

And here they are joined up with the rest of my Wood Elves. To hell with finecast- I like my pewter. Thanks, for the reinforcements, ineptmule!

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

poboom posted:

So today I stumbled over 2 packs of the High Magic battle magic cards and bought them both as I recalled someone from the last thread needing a pack. As I can't be arsed to search through the old thread I'll just ask here.

Anyone in need of a high magic pack? (for their own use, not for reselling on eBay you dirty profit hams)

I think that might have been me. I'm definitely interested, as I still haven't obtained any. If you're offering, I have either cash or an extra pack of the TK magic cards that I picked up for a friend (who then never ended up playing TK.)

I would contact you off-thread, but you don't have PMs. :v: email me at username47@gmail.com

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Leperflesh posted:

To be clear: with Killing Blow if you roll a 6 to wound in close combat, it's an auto kill with no armour save or regeneration save. However, a ward save can still be attempted and if it passes it prevents all damage from the Killing Blow.

Also it only works against infantry, cavalry, and war beasts, and only in close combat.

Unless you're a Wood Elf Waywatcher. Then your arrows have the Killing Blow rule, and you cost 24 freaking points.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Goddamn, this week's league meeting was frustrating. One of my opponents was a no-show, and the other one was against a guy with a real fucker of an empire list that had no idea how to play the game. I spent 5 hours in a game being a good sport and teaching the guy how to play while his massive warmachine collection decimated my army. I won in the end, but it doesn't feel like a victory when you out-maneuver somebody who doesn't really understand what he's doing.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Been reading up on the armybooks I'll be facing, since my opponents during league game obviously aren't going to have read theirs. Found out my last opponent made one hell of a mistake:

Claimed that all of his handgunners were equipped with Hochland Long Rifles. Jesus christ, that game would have been easier (and faster) if every character and champion wasn't being sniped at by multiple detachments of cheating gunners.

That's what I get for thinking that somebody knows what they're talking about when referring to their own god damned armybook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

zedar posted:

How do people here organise / store their miniatures when they want to carry them around? Proper miniature carry cases seem ridiculously expensive given my army consists of about 250 miniatures. Currently I'm just storing my miniatures in the sturdy corrugated cardboard boxes they shipped in, but this isn't really an optimal solution.

Magnetized minis go onto their movement trays. Movement trays go into Batallion or 40k vehicle boxes, depending on how tall the models are. Boxes have carboard dividers glued into place to prevent the trays from sliding around. Boxes then stack nicely into a milk crate for ease of transport.

Cheap, but crazy effective. Someday I might look into foam lined transports for my trays full of elves, but my magnets are strong enough that the minis don't get jostled at all with the current setup.

• Locked thread