Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I need help finishing up my Orc army. I just cant decide on heroes and lords

20 Savage boyz - extra hand weapons - big stabbas - full company

20 Savage boyz - extra hand weapons - big stabbas - full company

20 Goblins - short bows - full company

10 Savage orc boar boys - extra hand weapons - full company

20 Black Orcs - shield - full company

1 Arachnarok - catapult

Lords/Heroes ?????

I want at least 2-3 night goblin shamans but I cant figure out the rest. I need that BSB somewhere but I want to be able to keep my Black Orks in line.

I liked Grimgor to buff the Black Orks and give a BSB, but he doesnt have the special rule to keep the BO's in line. I could run a regular BO War Boss as a lord, but than I have to either give him the BSB and no magical weapons, or vis versa and put a BSB on maybe a regular War Boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm confused about some of your choices in your list so excuse me if I sidestep your actual question right out of the gate.

Why are you buying a unit of only 20 goblins?

If your answer is "to shoot their dinky bows at enemies" stop there and just delete that line from the list. You'd be much better off with a tarpit unit twice that size with a parry save to add some survivability.

multiple large units of Night goblins with fanatics paid for by dropping the boar boys would be really cool, but I can tell you are going with a theme here and I don't want to mess with that because I think savage orc/forest goblin lists should get more play - even if it pains me to see an orc list without a battery of lobbas and divers. I am interested to know how the black orcs fit in conceptually and why you are so concerned with keeping them in check when a savage orc shaman backed up by a gaggle of goblin heroes would give you better synergy options by potentially boosting all those ward saves.

How many points are you shooting for?

sorry for taking a :words: dump on you.

^^^
all this with a grain of salt. pursue your vision if you like it.

Im still trying to come up with a good start list. I do plan to use probably 1-2 doom divers for some sort of range power and they are fun. As for the goblins, the only reason I have them is to deliver fanatics which are my favorite unit.

Im just looking for something fun but still decent.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Well I am looking for help here. Im still fairly new to Fantasy and need help with building something decent.

My hammer unit is probably going to be 20+ black orc with Grimgor. I just dont know how to build a tarpit properly. A billion goblins would hurt my wallet, and I still feel they would break easily.

As for savage boar boys, I am making them my Big uns and running them in a 5x2 block. On the charge thats 20 str 5 attacks from boyz and 5 str 5 from the boars. Its no Chaos knights, but its still a good amount of str 5's that should almost always be on someones flank. It would be my only fast unit in my army, I need something to come around the sides at a decent speed.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Ok, reading up on Orks more and playing a game with them, I need help revising my army a bit. Im stuck on another core choice and a hero or two.

30 Savage orks
extra hand weapon - big stabbas - big'uns - full company

Savage orc shaman -
lvl 4 - shrunken head ( rolls with the big block for increased ward saves )

40-60 night goblins
either bows with a posion banner of hw/shield for an unbreakable unit

3rd core choice ?????

Black Orc Warboss
random magic weapon ( main use to keep the big savage orc unit in line )

Goblin or orc with BSB in my unknown 3rd core unit or with the goblins

Rares and specials filled with black orks, savage boar boys, arachnarok spider - some kind of warmachinbe

I need another core unit for 2k-2500 point games, but I dont know what to spend it on. I feel my only choices are night goblins or more orcs, the cavalry type core units look bad and unappealing. I do enjoy assaults so I suppose I should look into more orks. What do you guys think of regular boyz? Give them a shield and they have decent armor, but low killing power it seems

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

New Orc list I need help with. Im stuck at around 2250 and dont know if I should cut to make a 2k list or add for a 2.5k. As for adding on, the skys the limit, I still need to buy a few more heroes.

--LORDS-- 425

Orc shaman - 255
lvl 4 - shrunk head

Goblin Warboss - 170
bsb 25 - posion banner

--CORE-- 915

30 Save boys - 315
full company - hand weapons - big stabbas

30 Save boys - 375
full company - hand weapons - big stabbas - big'uns

40 goblins - 225
bows - full company - 3 fanatics

--HEROES-- 294

BOBB - 92
shield

BOBB - 92
shield

Goblin shaman - 110
lvl 2 - scroll

-SPECIAL--

20 Black Ork - 295
full company - shields

--RARE--

Arachnarok Spider - 290

-2219-

It would be a BOBB and the orc shaman with the squad of 30 savage big'uns, other BOBB with 30 savage orcs, and the goblin shaman and goblin warboss with poison bsb in with the bow goblins.

I cant really subtract anything without heavily hurting a unit so I think I need to add onto this, but I dont know if I should go with adding artillery or buffing up heroes or maybe adding a small cavalry unit.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

ineptmule posted:

Dunno if this changed with the OnG army book but usually Lord-type characters can't be your BSB, so your Goblin Warboss should be a regular Big Boss.

Might be, not sure on some of the wording. Mainly just took the lord version for one more leadership.

One other thing I am curious about. Do magical banners count for magic gear? Sounds stupid but im not sure, because whatI wanted to do is just buy a banner for the goblin boss and make my BSB on an Orc warboss.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Played my 2nd game with OnG today and man they are fun. I had an orc shaman chain Foot of Gork about 6 times on one large unit of whatever pushs Skavens bell unit. Than the spell decided to hit me, though I killed probably about 30 rats and the lord riding on top of it with one spell. As well as a unit of black orcs run down a giant unit of rat ogres in one turn.

I still think I need doom divers for the add some wacky destruction. What are some goon favorites of artillery; doomdivers, spear chuckas, rock lobbers, or maybe even some kind of squigg unit.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Does anyone use mangle squigs for O&G and if so, what model do you use? Played a 2's game yesterday with another O&G player and he ran two of them. Needles to say, I want to have one or two.

Alot of the old squigs on GW sits look pretty bad except for Gobbla who is part of Skarsnik's model. Anyone have any alternate suggestions for squigs, or are the old models really my only option here.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Went into my GW yesterday after work to check out the new fincasts. The heroes/lords/IC's and old artillery model in resin are the best thing ever, but the prices do seem to finally be reaching a point where I have to seriously stop buying their products.

I went in hoping to pick up an Azhag in resin for maybe under 70 retail price, but I saw the price tag of 90 and almost started laughing in front of the GW employee when he said its worth for the easy assembly. No single model should cost this much unless its from Forgeworld and over a foot tall.

Complaining aside, I did pick up the O&G rock lobba for my first resin model ever, and I really did enjoy putting it together.

Edit>> Forgot to post a few days ago that on Wednesday when I went to GW, they were selling all remaining metal models in the store for 25% off before they were being melted down and resold for scrap. I am wondering if any other goons saw this at their GW's or if mine was just cashing in for himself since they weren't taking real stock of it anymore.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 29, 2011

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

I would say that if we are talking about highly armored units then it is not a waste at all. Khornate warriors in large numbers (30+) are basically unbeatable because they dish out wounds and won't loving die so after one turn of combat they take steadfast away from practically any opponent. Sure those units cost a ton but there is zero consequence to that expenditure because nobody is getting points off a warrior unit that big. 6 turns just isn't enough to kill them all.

edit: poo poo, double post

My unit of 60 Savage ORc Big Uns with armor piercing banner/sneaky stabin and a Orc shaman with shrunken head casting ere we go. Ive yet to find a unit that can hold up to first round assault.

Khorne warriors are amazing, but the lack of the extra save from a shield makes artillery chew them up pretty quick. Not to mention parry save in 8th makes shield that much more important to have.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Im a little fuzzy on the rules and don't have the RB on me, but how does a character on a monstrous mount work in terms of sharing equipment and being poo poo at?

I am considering running a Goblin Shaman on an Archanarok. I believe for magic and shotting, wounds are distributed via randomization before anything is rolled to hit. But do magical items count toward the mount too? Not so much weapons, but protection like an amulet that gives a ward save to the bearer. Does the mount gain that as well or just the character?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So has GW cracked down on their customer service? I called to complain about a bad mold for my Trolls and the guy on the phone was kinda a dick. Got them in the mail today and it is just sprue, no bases or box, or instructions. What was even stranger was that he never asked for the serial code on the box, and I didn't buy it at a GW.

My friend the other day was talking to one as well for a good 10 minutes after he opened a fincast box and saw them completely warped and miscast. The guy kept asking him what exactly was wrong with it and at first told him he would have to take it up to our GW and show the manager before they could send a replacement out.

So is their new strategy to try bullying someone on the phone to see if they are just trying to get free products?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

angrylinuxgeek posted:

What are the most "broken" Warriors of Chaos options?

Isnt the deathstar still buffed chosen with 2 shrines following them? A horde of 3 armor 3 ward save warriors rushing you. Have fun.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So I decided to start a TK army, but hopefully start small. My main concern though, is coming down to lore for them. I feel like the Lore of Nehekhara is the only viable choice to take so that you have enough resurrecting power. Is this correct, or should I focus on direct damage with death and forgo trying to resurrect everything?

I realize my army composition really plays a roll in that as well.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Also, can you get HKB off the envenomed sting poison hit on a Necrosphinx? Im almost positive I read somewhere it said no, but now I cant find where.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

Lore of Light is incredible for TKs with it's augments and the possibility to do Banishment Spam as well.

What am I missing here? The augment seems bleh?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Anyone have a suggestion for an alternative Tomb Scorpions? The GW ones look like total poo poo to me and the price increase/metal version only makes it worse.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

One other question with TK's regarding chariots. Ive never used chariots in any of my armys, so this is all weird to me as a unit.

Assuming 3 chariots would cause d6 X 3 impact hits since each on is its own chariot, or do you just get one d6 for the entire unit as it counts as one unit? Also, the Chariot Legion rule. It says adds one strength per rank of chariots you have. Does the very first rank count, or do you need a full 2nd rank to begin taking advantage of that?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

What is supposedly the next wave of Finecast? Is their a list anywhere of it?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Does anyone have good beginner tactics for Tomb Kings? Ive always been a fan of horde size infantry units, but I have heard some people say make skeletons as thin as possible, but deep ranks to cut back on casualty's. Is this a rule to follow with skellys, or are hordes still worth it for these guys?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

WoC are the best starting off army for Fantasy. Easy to play and the toughest core in the entire game, not to mention the cheapest to start. Grab a few boxs of warriors, one box of knights, and a hero and your ready to play.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Cinara posted:

Also on another note, I was doing an order from Miniature Market, and on their excel spreadsheet they had an army box for Chaos Demons listed as releasing on 8-20.

Could it be wave two that was expected a billion years ago? Wasn't it Plague Bearers and greater demons in plastic/fine casts?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

New Daemons poo poo is on advance orders. New finecast Bloodthirster and Lord of change, as well as a decent battleforce. No finecast/plastic plague bearers though?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440004a&rootCatGameStyle=wh

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

On the subject of chariots, what is everyone's take on the improved strength of TK's chariots impact hits by ranks? Some people say as long as you have your front rank of 3 you get the bonus as it is a full rank, while others say its like combat res ranking in which you don't count them until the 2nd rank and so on.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 16, 2011

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I've been planning to run nine, so that should work out OK... I just have to somehow afford three boxes of chariots. And build them and paint them all. Ugh.

Keep in mind how long chariots are though, 3 ranks is definitely over a foot long. Basically, you can't deploy it facing forward in a regular game.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I need some TK help, I've played about 3 games with them and lost pretty much all of them. I have made plenty of mistakes with rules and forgetting useful poo poo, but it seems like I am missing a large horde punching unit in the army.

Quick run down of a 2k list, usually what I am trying:

*20-30 Tomb Guard with halberds and undying legion banner ( rank 5 x as deep as possible )

*40 Warriors with light armor shield (ranked 5 x as deep as possible )

*2 units of 3 chariots bare, just for impact hits

*1 Casket

*1 Necosphinx

*3 Stalkers

*Tomb prince and Herophant in TG squad to buff them

*HLP lvl 4, spells from codex with a ward pendant

The problem I am having is not the constructs, they seems to do fine vs small groups/artillery/other monsters, its my infantry than just bounces off everything and dies to a slight breeze.

I know I need more offensives magic and might drop the TP and Herophant for another LP with lore of light. That I need a bit of help with, but I just need to figure out what to do about my poo poo infantry. I know its skeletons and you cant ask much from them in terms of killing power, but they just haven't done poo poo in my few games at all.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 18, 2011

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Flippycunt posted:

Are you having issues with your Tomb Guard dying as well?

I think you need more rank and file infantry.

Heres what I'd suggest:

Take two units of skeletons, at least 50 total. Put your Tomb Prince in the bigger of the two. These are your "anvil" units. Their mission is to lockdown enemy units so your chariots/monsters can hit them in the flank. Keep your priests near them to cast spells to resurrect these dudes.

Also, replace the Stalkers with Necropolis Knights, they kill everything.

Its hoards I have issues with. 40 warriors (5x7 to cut back on hits taken) got ran over by 40 plague monks with a furnace, all shield light armor for a 5/6 save. Warriors cant seem to last more than 2 round of combat before getting wiped completely out through kills and combat res.

Edit>> Wow on Ramhotep, definitely better the a TP as I like to run a few constructs too.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 18, 2011

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Dumb question: I keep seeing people use Bone Giants for TK's. Do they still have rules somewhere that I am missing, or are people using them for counts as Necrolith Colossus'?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Ive got rule question regarding TK. Screwing around in army builder, and it seems to allow me to take every weapon upgrade on Ushabti. I was under the impression they take one weapon and thats it. If I can have great bows and great weapons in the same unit, sign me up.

Edit>> Noticed the codex says "replace GW with either AHW or GB". So is it an army builder bug or something that's been brought up?

Slandible fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 27, 2011

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I had a rule come up the other day, and wasn't too sure how it is played. A model with Killing blow rolls a 6 against a Hell pit Abomination. I know it doesn't kill the HBA, but does it still get its regeneration save? Monster's ignore the death rule of normal KB, but does KB negate the regeneration on them as well?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Characters, mounted or not, are susceptible to KB. Heroic killing blow is only to take down big poo poo like monsters. I played VC as my first army, and let me tell you, 1 KB to your vampire general will ruin your day.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

ActionZero posted:

I now really want to see what Teclis' bullshit would be like in a Storm of Magic game.

On the subject of Teclis, I had an interesting game against him last week. Someone brought a tournament list for practice and I eventually agreed to play him. I have never seen a caster roll snake eyes for winds as many times as him. He made one crucial mistake in the game and that was poping Teclis out alone behind his lines. My chariots ran over a unit of Seaguard and put two arrows in Teclis' rear end.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I play Fantasy completely for fun. I barely know any of the missions and usually don't even add up VP at the end of the game. But nothing gives me greater joy than seeing someones tournament heavy rear end hole list get run over by a standard have fun list.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

^^^^

I always feel a Necrotect or Ramotep are very important in a TK army heavy on constructs (which is most). That 6 regen bubble has saved me several times.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I need some TK advice. I've been playing them for a few months and really enjoy their play style, but what do people do with their heriophants ( yours or maybe someone you've faced )?

The regen with tomb guard is great, but its too risky since TG usually take on the nasty poo poo and will end up dragging him into it as well.

Warriors are pussies, and unless you run 60+, they will get run over with him in it.

I've tried archers units, and they don't do it for me. This is probably my better option, but I've tried large units of them before and bs 2 ( even with no mods ) str 3 doesn't kill a drat thing. People talk them up, but I have never seen archers do anything to merit taking them, even with Khalida.

Last option is small warriors squad to just hide in. Never assault, just cast from the safety of a 20 block behind your lines.

I have tried all of these set ups, but still cant find the right way to hide him. I usually run a Necrotect for my constructs, a 2nd caster either light or death ( sometimes arkhan, and I usually rotate a herald BsB or tomb prince for tomb guard. So I have even a harder time properly placing every character where they need to be.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Green Tea Erotica posted:

I'm really trying not to look dumb here but, I'm taking a bigger unit of Savage Orcs in my army than normal but I don't know if they should have Additional hand weapons or spears. Is there a downside to one and not the other that I can't see? It just seems that no matter what you'd have the same number of attacks no matter which you took.....I know I'm missing something.

Once one dude dies from your 4th rank, you start losing out. Always AHW with a horde if you can. That way you don't lose another 10 attacks until you start going down to your front ranks. Also for when you get flanked, you have more attacks since you lose supporting.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Umm clan rats should always be a massive blob of brown. If you're running clanrats in 5 by anything, you're doing it wrong.

10 x 7 minimum with a bell. No bell, should be 10 x 10. Rats are one of the worst core units in the game, and only gain advantages with their strength in numbers rule.

Quick tip for playing Skaven, if you have finished ranking up your poo poo before your opponent has, you've already lost.

Edit >> In regard to O&G vs WoC, a horde of Savage Orcs Big Uns and a Horde of Black Orcs. Fill the rest with doom divers, mangler squigs, and rock lobbas. All the artillery and squig ramming will thin them out enough to not be a big enough threat for your massive hordes of str 5 attacks.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 2, 2011

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Depending on the size of an army you'd like to start with, WoC is the best starter buy. You can probably pull off a 2k list for around 200 bucks buying everything at retail price. Buy the battalion, 2 boxs of warriors, maybe one more box of knights, Tzeentch wizard on a disc, and you're ready to play.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I'm thinking of starting a Deamon army, but I need help with a possible build. I do not want to play the typical faceroll Deamon army of Plague Bearers/epidumes bullshit or bloodletter/thirster spam. Nor do I want to run total garbage, but I enjoy more of the look and theme of an army.

Leaning toward Tzentch, but I cant say I have ever seen a deamon army that wasn't the two I listed. Does Horror spam work well in 8th since magic is all pooled now, or is it a waste of too many lvl 4's? Basically, is a LoC, several flamers, and as many horrors as I can field viable?

Slannesh seemed a bit interesting to do, but so many army's are immune to psychology, it seems like a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

Someone make me a 1000 pt Skaven army centered around a HPA that will destroy Leperflesh's Tomb King army and his Chariots of rear end-Rape! Army must succeed in spite of my God-awful dice rolling.

Funny thing is, to counter your HBA, he just has to put a flaming banner on the chariots and makes them at least 2 ranks. Watch as the giant rat burns to death before it even attacks.

I did this to my friends Skaven army all the time. And if that fails, throw a Warspynx at it and chop its head off.

• Locked thread